Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ukraine 2014

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Ukraine 2014 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 3:06:54 AM   
NakedWeasel

I also found this, translated from Izvestia:

Young pilots run from the Air Force

Due to the imperfect system of money allowances Russian Air Force started to lose young cadres. As told "Izvestia" a source in the Air Force, of 80 young pilots enrolled in the Air Force combat units in the past year, nearly 60 have already begun to fire, not having served in the army and the year. If the situation does not change, by 2015 the army will lose almost 70% of front-line pilots.

Pilots themselves explain that they have been cheated of money and made it impossible to fly.

- Last year, when we were released, we were promised that from January 1, 2012 will receive 100 thousand rubles. Actually received about 60 thousand rubles. And now the norm raid changed: now, if we do not swoop 100 hours on your hands will get 37 thousand I'd better go to the "Aeroflot" - told "Izvestia" Su-25 pilot, who now runs an air-flight before commission dismissal.

He explained that 70% of the salary of drill pilot makes allowance for "special conditions of service" and the prize "for the faithful and efficient performance of duties." They accrue only to those who fulfill the established norm of flight hours per year. And from January 1, 2012 this rate was 100 hours per year for frontline aviation pilots. That's how much you need to spend in the air to anyone who flies on combat "drying" and "MiGs" - Su-27, MiG-29, MiG-31, etc.

Thus, if the pilots of transport planes, conducting a single flight for 2-3 hours, to meet the norm is not difficult (for IL-76, Tu-154 aircraft and other transport rate of 140-150 hours, 50-60 fly), the pilots -fighters who spend in the air just 20-30 minutes per flight to swoop must perform 100 hours 200 sorties.

- Even if we assume for an hour a day, it is necessary to fly 100 days a year. But we so often one does not fly - admitted lieutenant.

The commander of one of the squadrons of long-range bombers explained "Izvestia" that does not start at the helm of young Air Force led the way with heavy 1990s, when not enough fuel and serviceable machines (often Regiment was no more than 2-3 serviceable aircraft). Now due to undershoot earn young aces.

- Due to the released hours senior pilots get extra touch, pass on the qualification requirements "sniper pilot", "pilot-instructor" etc. and accordingly their allowance increases significantly - explained "Izvestia".

According to him, in February 2012 on a single Russian aircraft carrier "Admiral Kuznetsov" flight hours reserved for young naval pilots were rewritten by the commanders of the 279th separate regiment. Because of this, young people do not gain admission to fly solo and on his return to the port of naval aviation extinct.

- And this is happening everywhere - the source of "Izvestia".

But in addition to money problems with the January 1, 2012 and added everyday problems.

- Not only do we have canceled a free ride to the place of vacation (except remote areas) and reduced medical care for family members, since late last year stopped issuing flight form - overalls, jackets, shoes. Have to buy for your money. With all this can be tolerated only if allowance is high, - said the squadron commander.

In the civil airline pilots waiting for 240 thousand rubles per month (for the first lieutenant, who had just started to fly), free medical care, free flights to anywhere, including abroad, subsidized mortgages, and other bonuses.

The only way to retire young pilots - it become unusable health. In this case, they must be translated into the ground work, and from there the pilot has the right to refuse. Now only one of the branches of the Third Central Military Clinical Hospital named after Vishnevsky air flight Commission (WFC) have not been 28 young lieutenants.

From the beginning, the WFC in the country have not been about 300 military pilots, navigators and other aircrew members. Of these, about 60 soldiers - this issue pilots 2010-2011. For comparison, last year did not pass WFC 75 people, of which young lieutenants were only seven.

Furthermore, due to age and health each year deducted about 15 experienced pilots. In 2015, about 350 pilots have to leave the steering wheel because of the ultimate service life of 25 years.

At the same flight school until 2003 released only 100 pilots, and in 2003 produced an average of about 270 professionals, of which only 80 sit behind the steering wheel. The rest are appointed by the navigators, board operators, etc. To teach them to drive their own plane, it would take about two years of additional training.

http://izvestia.ru/news/531968

This sounds pretty bleak, indeed.

< Message edited by NakedWeasel -- 3/4/2014 4:11:20 AM >

Though surrounded by a great number of enemies
View them as a single foe
And so fight on!

(in reply to NakedWeasel)
Post #: 121
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 3:07:12 AM   
mikmykWS

LOL. Yes I do and do not have time to get into an internet argument about it which you seem to be lining up to do.

Have a great night.

Mike

Post #: 122
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 3:15:11 AM   
NakedWeasel

No, believe me, that's not my intention at all. I'm a realism junkie, which is why I bought your game, Mike. I try to model a scenario based upon historically accurate, real-world data. I was being genuine when I asked for your input. That said, I can always use the resources that I have, and form my own opinions.

And so fight on!

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 123
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 3:16:56 AM   
thewood1

I agree on the hours for Russian air force still being very limited. Last I heard (2011-ish) is that fuel limitations are still very high in Russian air force. I suspect there are elite units still getting plenty, but overall I think its still limited.

Post #: 124
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 4:18:46 AM   
Tomcat84

I don't know about Russian flying hours but there is no way western pilots fly 100-300 hours a month. Even for a 100 that'd mean on a 31 day month minus four weekends that'd you'd fly 4,5 hours every day. For fighter pilots that unfortunately isn't happening.

My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )

Post #: 125
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 4:33:34 AM   
NakedWeasel

I believe that also includes flying hours accumulated whilst flying combat missions overseas, and to and from CONUS.

And so fight on!

(in reply to Tomcat84)
Post #: 126
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 4:45:53 AM   
Tomcat84

Your number is still probably too high. 300 a year and you're in great shape. At least as an F-16 driver. 300 a month and I think you will collapse from exhaustion. It'd also mean everybody and their mother would be walking around with 3000 hr patches. That just isn't the case.

My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )

Post #: 127
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 5:28:47 AM   
NakedWeasel

Well if your Matrix handle is any indicator of what you did/do for a living, I'll concede to your opinion on American flying hours. I'll admit, I am not at all sure, and those were the numbers I remember hearing around the beginning of 2000. But more at issue, are the Russian flying hours. And I keep reading how they get less than 100 in a year, and they aren't getting the pay and perks they feel they deserve. Morale is low, and training is suffering.

And so fight on!

(in reply to Tomcat84)
Post #: 128
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 5:56:11 AM   
RoryAndersonCDT

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

Post #: 129
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 7:32:56 AM   
RoryAndersonCDT

quote:

Putin to make live statement on Ukraine at 0830GMT, his first public address on the crisis, Russian media says.

That is right now!

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

(in reply to RoryAndersonCDT)
Post #: 130
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 7:54:30 AM   
NakedWeasel

I just can't imagine what that must be like. Those Ukrainian troops must be scared to death, but they'll die upholding their oath. Gotta respect duty over self.

And so fight on!

Post #: 131
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 7:55:09 AM   
RoryAndersonCDT

CARSTRKGRU 2 on station. :)

http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/United_States_OOB_Current#Carrier_Strike_Group_2

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

Post #: 132
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 8:15:07 AM   
dandin384

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baloogan

CARSTRKGRU 2 on station. :)

Let's hope we don't have to use it.

Post #: 133
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 9:12:14 AM   
RoryAndersonCDT

PUTIN STREAM!
http://rt.com/on-air/russian-president-putin-statement/

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

(in reply to dandin384)
Post #: 134
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 9:33:54 AM   
RoryAndersonCDT

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

Post #: 135
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 10:04:02 AM   
VIF2NE

quote:

I just can't imagine what that must be like. Those Ukrainian troops must be scared to death, but they'll die upholding their oath. Gotta respect duty over self.

It is an irony ?

Ukrainian troops are not scared. This is the reason for their surrender. If they were afraid , then fired .

During the war, 888 Russian soldiers traveled by train to the Russian base in Armenia . On the territory of Georgia . Interestingly, no one stopped them , not shoot them.

The reason - a very old relationships , family and economic ties . It's very complicated .
Policy or ideology can not explain this .

About beautiful aircraft Su-27 with a trident . My cousin was a senior officer at the airbase Poltava . The same one from which a beautiful flying the Su-27 . During WW2 there was the American bombers . You see what a complicated story . They will not shoot at Russian . Because Russian - this nation team . They Ukrainians and Georgians and Armenians and Tatars ...

Ukrainians - not cowards . They are very bravely fought in BB2 . Now they are brave political struggle against the corrupt government . And this fight is just beginning to happen in full force.

< Message edited by VIF2NE -- 3/4/2014 11:12:02 AM >

Post #: 136
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 10:24:08 AM   
Gunner98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomcat84

Your number is still probably too high. 300 a year and you're in great shape. At least as an F-16 driver. 300 a month and I think you will collapse from exhaustion. It'd also mean everybody and their mother would be walking around with 3000 hr patches. That just isn't the case.

From my recollection, Canadian F-18 pilots have a 20hr/month standard to maintain so 240hrs in a year. Some do more but that's the basic standard. This may have been reduced in the past few years with the introduction of some pretty good simulators and budget cuts - not sure.

I also think that the quality and realism of the flying hours counts, as does the whole training regime that gets the pilot into the cockpit in the first place. So I guess an indicator of that is how long it takes a pilot from putting on the uniform to strapping on the Jet? Also how effective is the ground based training, simulators, C2 exercises, etc.

I agree with your assessment of the skill levels, 60 hrs a year is only 5 hrs a month, 1 maybe 2 flights a week! You have to hope the simulators are up to speed or you will only be able to maintain the basics, nothing fancy at all. Even 100 hrs a year is only 9 hrs a month, 2 flights a week.

B

(in reply to Tomcat84)
Post #: 137
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 10:37:26 AM   
RoryAndersonCDT

Putin just finished.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 138
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 5:06:40 PM   
VFA41_Lion

I heard Putin's press conference was bizarre, to say the least.

Post #: 139
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 10:20:02 PM   
NakedWeasel

So apparently, Russia blinked, and this is quickly cooling down? Praise the Buddha! I haven't been quite so concerned of nuclear confrontation, since I was actually learning about the real devices, back when I could "neither confirm, nor deny the presence of said devices aboard USS Abraham Lincoln."

Pay no attention to the man in the inflatable canary suit behind the plastic curtain...

And so fight on!

(in reply to VFA41_Lion)
Post #: 140
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 10:23:14 PM   
RoryAndersonCDT

http://news.yahoo.com/russia-test-fires-icbm-amid-tension-over-ukraine-193003190--sector.html;_ylt=AwrBJR9IKhZTKSMAfjrQtDMD

quote:

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia said it had successfully test-fired an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) on Tuesday, with tensions running high over its military intervention in Ukraine's Crimea region.

The Strategic Rocket Forces launched an RS-12M Topol missile from the southerly Astrakhan region and the dummy warhead hit its target at a proving ground in Kazakhstan, Defence Ministry spokesman Igor Yegorov told state-run news agency RIA.

The launch site, Kapustin Yar, is near the Volga River about 450 km (280 miles) east of the Ukrainian border. Kazakhstan, a Russian ally in a post-Soviet security grouping, is further to the east.

Russia conducts test launches of its ICBMs fairly frequently and often announces the results, a practice seen as intended to remind the West of Moscow's nuclear might and reassure Russians that President Vladimir Putin will protect them.

Russia and the United States signed the latest of a series of treaties restricting the numbers of ICBMs in 2010, but Moscow has indicated it will agree further cuts in the near future and is taking steps to upgrade its nuclear arsenal.

Putin has emphasised that Russia must maintain a strong nuclear deterrent, in part because of an anti-missile shield the United States is building in Europe which Moscow says could undermine its security.

The Defence Ministry said the test could help Russia improve its capability of foiling anti-missile shields, RIA reported.

Moscow says it is concerned U.S. interceptors could shoot down some of its ICBMs in flight, weakening its arsenal. The United States says the shield is meant to protect against threats from states such as Iran and poses no threat to Russia.

The 20-metre (60-foot) long RS-12M, known in NATO parlance as the SS-25 Sickle, was first put into service in 1985, six years before the collapse of the Soviet Union, and is designed to carry a nuclear warhead. Its range is 10,500 km (6,000 miles).

(Additional reporting by Phil Stewart in Washington; Writing by Steve Gutterman; Editing by Janet Lawrence)

SS-29 Sickle B Mod 2 Transporter Erector Launcher: http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataFacility?ID=1687
SS-29 Sickle B Mod 2 Silo: http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataFacility?ID=1686
SS-29 Sickle missile: http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataWeapon?ID=2164

The most modern (and thus the one most likely to test) SS-29 ballistic missile has a range of 5500nm, and 3x 550kt nuclear MIRV (Multiple Independent targetable Reentry Vehicles).
Relatively small warhead coupled with a modern guidance system indicates that the Sickle could be considered a 'counterforce' weapon; which is intended to be used to disarm a hostile nation of its nuclear weapons.

Nuclear weapon strategy is very interesting; both Russia and the USA maintain both a 'counterforce' and a 'counterproperty' arsenal.

Counterforce: shoot at your enemies' nuclear weapons capability. Need a large number of accurate, small warhead nukes.
Countervalue: shoot at your enemies' people and have as many of them as possible die. Need a relatively small number of inaccurate large warhead nukes.

The language of nuclear weapons cloaks their horrifying nature.

< Message edited by Baloogan -- 3/5/2014 5:03:38 AM >

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

Post #: 141
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/4/2014 10:44:22 PM   
NakedWeasel

Wow, seriously??? They just need to accept their limitations, and pack it in. The Ukrainians alone would have eventually been able resist for long enough to cause the Russians unacceptable losses in the long term. And if NATO actually got motivated enough to act, the Russian losses in the region would quickly become catastrophic. Probably to the point that millions of lives could be lost.

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."

And so fight on!

Post #: 142
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/5/2014 1:04:57 AM   
mikeCK

Russians had free reign. There is. I way the US and certain not NATO or the Eu would have intervened. It's an embarrassment to the west.

Post #: 143
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/5/2014 1:30:59 AM   
NakedWeasel

I'm sorry Mike, but I don't get your meaning? What was an embarrassment to the West?

And so fight on!

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 144
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/5/2014 2:49:10 AM   
mikeCK

In my opinion, the west appeared weak in doing nothing in response to Putin seizing sovereign Ukrainian territory. I'm not asking for a war, but ordering a Carrier Battle Group into the area and telling the Russians that we will not slow them to seize the Crimea is a start. Instead the US is "standing with the international community in condemning the act". Whether or not the eastern part of Ukraine is populated by a majority ethnic Russian people is irrelevant. That is sovereign Ukrainian territory seized by Russia, the Ukrainian government is asking for help and we do nothing.

Send the CBG and threaten to enter the Black Sea in violation of treaty since the Russians don't want to honor their 1954 treaty. With permission from Poland And Slovakia, dispatch a brigade of the 82nd into that area in order to "be ready to assist the Ukrainian government in stabilization"
Or something vague.

Putin dipped his toe into the pool and found out the water is fine. How much longer before he just jumps in.

Post #: 145
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/5/2014 3:37:55 AM   
NakedWeasel

Ah, yes, now I understand your frustration. I'll admit, this talk of "Red Lines" and a lack of real "gun boat" diplomacy does negatively impact on our national credibility.
I suppose there are a couple factors that were very much in play here:

1. This was not Iraq, or Syria, or even North Korea- this was the Russian Bear, still armed from jaws to claws with thousands of nuclear warheads, and we would've (potentially) been fighting on Russia's doorstep. That's a long way from home to project power.
2. POTUS, and his warm-fuzzy, touchy-feely regime. As you may be able to guess, I am NOT a fan. The boy-king is in over his head, and it shows.

In conclusion, we should all just be thankful we're still here, instead of sitting in the cold and dark, waiting for the radiation to finish us off, our loved ones already dead, or dying alongside us. And we need to be more careful of who we put in the Big Chair, and how prepared they are to carry out the duties of the office, to act on behalf of We the People, our allies, and our national interests. This isn't American Idol.

< Message edited by NakedWeasel -- 3/5/2014 4:40:05 AM >

And so fight on!

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 146
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/5/2014 8:10:40 AM   
RoryAndersonCDT

Finished the 810th Brigade!!

http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/Flashpoint:_Ukraine_2014#810th_Separate_Naval_Infantry_Brigade

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

Post #: 147
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/5/2014 9:42:46 AM   
RoryAndersonCDT

GreatTop pointed out to me that my 19th episode on the stream featured a Russian ground invasion of Ukraine. A military column that wasn't stopped or had to fight till it reached Kiev.... Plus with a
Russian surface ship north west of Crimea.

Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgRuKky0mojYr0528HVIUz6fdwNYyHp6F

Land Combat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxCNDzOONOs&index=10&list=PLgRuKky0mojYr0528HVIUz6fdwNYyHp6F

Broadcast January 25th, before I researched anything.
I have a much, much better scenario; which I've attached to this post.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Baloogan -- 3/5/2014 11:00:24 AM >

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

Post #: 148
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/5/2014 1:30:37 PM   
RoryAndersonCDT

Myk sent me this map! Thanks!

< Message edited by Baloogan -- 3/5/2014 2:31:05 PM >

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

Post #: 149
RE: Ukraine 2014 - 3/5/2014 2:37:34 PM   
Rudd

Impressive as usual Baloogan, nice job on this

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Ukraine 2014 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI