Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario For Testing:Black Gold (1985)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scenario For Testing:Black Gold (1985) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario For Testing:Black Gold (1985) - 3/3/2014 12:17:50 AM   
AdmiralSteve

Black Gold is a fictional 1985 conflict in the Aegean Sea between Greece and Turkey. The playable side, Turkey, has placed two oil platforms in the Aegean that Greece has opposed to as they violate Greek territorial waters.
Turkey must deploy her available assets to prevent Greek attacks on the oil platforms.

Black Gold is a small scenario, approximately 80 units and 3 hours of scenario time to play.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AdmSteebe -- 3/3/2014 1:19:27 AM >

“There are no extraordinary men...just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.”
Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. 1882-1959

Post #: 1
RE: Scenario For Testing:Black Gold (1985) - 3/3/2014 2:39:45 AM   
Coiler12

Tried it and got crushed. The Greeks won the aerial battle, and all my own F-4s were tapped out when the climactic Harpoon strike destroyed the platforms.

< Message edited by Coiler12 -- 3/3/2014 3:40:49 AM >

(in reply to AdmiralSteve)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario For Testing:Black Gold (1985) - 3/3/2014 3:03:14 AM   
AdmiralSteve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coiler12

Tried it and got crushed. The Greeks won the aerial battle, and all my own F-4s were tapped out when the climactic Harpoon strike destroyed the platforms.

If you can get all your fighters with the A/A load-outs quickly over the rigs, you stand a better chance of defeating the Hellenic fighters while the F-4's with the GBU-10's need to take care of the surface vessels. And all those A/C need to be launched from the Turkish base all at once, set at military throttle and attack within the first hour. It was a handful and I thought I had it beat. I had 6 Turkish and 6 Hellenic F-4's going toe to toe but the Turkish Sparrows and Sidewinders missed three of their targets and the Hellenic F-4's were able to make their bomb releases.
The Turkish PC's were nothing more than fish in a barrel and really didn't come into play. They all got their SSM's off but I don't believe any of them found their targets and I will loose at-least one of them during every game.
When designing the scenario, I thought the Turks with nearly a 3-2 A/C advantage would have the edge but I have yet to win it. I hope a few more players give a try and confirm that I made it a bit too tough.
Thanks for playing it.

“There are no extraordinary men...just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.”

(in reply to Coiler12)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario For Testing:Black Gold (1985) - 3/3/2014 5:31:55 PM   
Casinn

First play through crushed! I like the size of scenario. Spent too much time launching other ac before getting the AAW on the way and they were still out of range when the Greek strike reached.

One unrepeatable crash is only problem I saw other than my lack of skill.
Are the Turk attack planes 2ndAW double numbered by design? Or were there were only supposed to be 6?

I did just about take out one of the FFGs with a turk pc. Playing longer it may yet have sunk.
Other PC got two torps off as it was sinking on a greek pcfg but both missed. They did add flavor/decision making to the scenario while waiting for planes to close.

Post #: 4
RE: Scenario For Testing:Black Gold (1985) - 3/3/2014 5:43:38 PM   
AdmiralSteve

Thank you for playing. Here were my results from this morning;

SIDE: Greece
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
2x P 24 Kavaloudis [La Combattante IIIb]
2x RF-4E Phantom II
2x F 450 Elli [Kortenaer]
12x F-4E Phantom II

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
12x RGM-84D Harpoon IC
1x RB 12 Penguin Mk2
9x 76mm/62 Compact HE Burst [4 rnds]
4x DAGAIE Mk2 LIR Flare
20x RIM-7M Sea Sparrow
29x AIM-7E2 Sparrow III
10x 20mm/85 Mk15 Phalanx Blk 0 Burst [200 rnds]
2x Mk186 TORCH Flare [Seduction]
21x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
18x Generic Flare Salvo [3x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
2x DAGAIE Mk2 LEM Chaff
5x Mk182 SRBOC Chaff [Seduction]

SIDE: Turkey

LOSSES:
3x P 321 Denizkuşu [Kartal Class, Type 142A Mod]
1x Platform [Class A, 90000t]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
8x RB 12 Penguin Mk2
10x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
41x AIM-7E2 Sparrow III
19x AIM-9P-4 Sidewinder
8x GBU-10E/B Paveway II LGB [Mk84]

SIDE: Neutral

LOSSES:
1x Civilian Sailboat [38m]
1x Commercial Ferry [1,900t DWT]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

I lost one of the platforms but this time time around I used the AA loadouts on the ASuW Phantoms to augment the CAP. The PC were essentially ineffective again for me. It was gut wrenching as I thought I was going to have my tail handed to me once again but finally a decent outcome.
I think the key was 1)immediately launching every A/C available 2)using the ASuW A/C with AA loadouts to augment the CAP and 3)neutralize the Hellenic surface vessels with the GBU-10's.
Thanks again for playing and have a great week.
Steve.

(in reply to Casinn)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenario For Testing:Black Gold (1985) - 3/7/2014 9:32:31 AM   
Jorm

thanks for the scenario

i got totally smashed within 15 minutes,

guess ill give it another few goes :-)

< Message edited by Jorm -- 3/8/2014 12:12:50 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: Scenario For Testing:Black Gold (1985) - 1/16/2015 11:40:26 AM   
pjcoia

Interesting scenario, the size is nice and the location is tight and claustrophobic. I played it several times and found that it is very sensitive to luck which limits what you can do as a player. If the PCs missile score some decent hits or they survive long enough it can reduce the amount of Harpoons which hit the platforms, if not - then the Harpoons do most of the work and you'll never stop all the aircraft. Effectively, the setup is out of your hands and its all down to whether you execute in the right order AND luck goes your way - man, I hate AIM-7 combat!

My suggestion would be to extend the setup: have the Greek boats further away, or in random spots without awareness of the platforms. Utilise the no-target strike mission option to introduce some variability into the Greek A/C arrival time. Generally, I felt that the player needed some time to set things up (and get it wrong), before they come under attack. For example, how many AAW A/Cs on CAP? what to do with Air-to-Ground planes, hunt ships or strike the airbase? What to do with the PCs, scout or hang back until the ships are located?

Nonetheless, I enjoyed the challenge, even if it did cause a rage quit or two

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenario For Testing:Black Gold (1985) - 1/17/2015 10:49:09 AM   
Flankerk

Afraid I had the same result, its a nice scenario but the speed of attack is too fast for me. I think I lost in about 8 minutes or so?
I thought I was being clever and swapped to air to air load out to win the air war. I didn't, effectively lost control over the rigs area before the main attack and before any reinforcements could get there. Those ship attacks I launched got nowhere, in fact don't think I sank a single ship and lost all. The Phantom's eventually lose or run out of ordnance at which point the attacks come in.

I can't see any way this could be won on a first outing, agree with the Greek attack delayed slightly it all changes. The Greek ships tend to dominate the zone as things are now, better and longer ranged missiles then some air attrition as well. Probably just needed more time?

(in reply to pjcoia)
Post #: 8
RE: Scenario For Testing:Black Gold (1985) - 1/17/2015 10:57:49 PM   
AdmiralSteve

quote:

Probably just needed more time?

Yeah, I cut to the chase on this one and I think I would have thrown up my arms and said the same thing.

(in reply to Flankerk)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scenario For Testing:Black Gold (1985) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI