Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/2/2014 1:43:44 AM   
Banjo

I was wrong about the 10% turn ending chance for this impulse, and the weather has remained fine everywhere.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 421
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/2/2014 1:59:24 AM   
Banjo

So far,
the USSR combined
China land
CW combined

The CW will perform a groundstrike to try to disorganize Rundstedt. Their first real commitment of force, other than strategic bombing.

The French need to decide if it is time to bring the troops north from the Italian border, and to begin pulling back from the Maginot line. A land action would be needed to do this.

A combined action, means the empty hex east of Paris can be occupied, to prevent a breakthrough.

If the hex NW of Rhiems is taken by the Germans next impulse, there is still time to pull away from the German and Italian borders.

Every impulse the Italians can be delayed from entering France, the better.

Combined it is.

US combined.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 422
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/2/2014 2:11:12 AM   
Banjo

CW moves 2 convoys to SOuth Africa, and a sub from Malta into the Italian coast as do the French from Oran.

The US moves a convoy to Pago Pago.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 423
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/2/2014 2:23:48 AM   
Banjo

The first big air battle of the war is about to commence.

The CW has its first chance to have an impact on the battle for France, by disorganizing Rundstedt. Their strike factors are not great, but the chance to go head to head with the german fighters cannot be ignored. Its an all out effort.

The Germans, commit only half of their 5 str fighters. With a groundstrike coming in their next impulse, they may need to face the uncommited French fighters.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 424
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/2/2014 2:38:21 AM   
Banjo

First round allies could choose to lose a bomber or fighter. The Harrow was chosen. No German losses. Both decide to stay.

CW aborts a fighter. Both stay.

CW losses a Spitfire, a 109 is aborted. CW decides one more round.

CW clears through the bomber.

CW aborts the fighter.

The bombers miss the target.

Two German fighters are now disorganized as is all of the RAF units in the area. One Spitfire, one Harrow lost.

Destroyed units so far this turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 425
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/3/2014 1:47:38 AM   
Banjo

The USSR moves what land units they can.

The Chinese, are once again under pressure to preserve what forces they have but are nearing the time when the will have to make some sort of stand. They need to get into the mountains and are almost there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 426
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/3/2014 2:00:23 AM   
Banjo

The Cw moves the 5-4 INF from Cairo to Alexandria.

The French have two moves available, and move their last twi INF units into thhex east of Paris.

I have built every land unit that France was able to build, and the Germans have to fight for every hex they advance. The French have had the dice in their favor so far I think, which has made a big difference.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 427
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/3/2014 2:03:01 AM   
Banjo

The French had a move left over, and moved the militia from Bordeaux to Tolouse, to keep it out of the hands of the Italians. If the French need to move their Italian border units on their next impulse.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 428
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/3/2014 3:06:39 AM   
Banjo

The weather relly turned for the worst this impulse. Japan chose a land, with the hope that maybe a few of their units can move.

The Germans will have to decide what units they are going to attack with next impulse, and if they should use their reorg phase, and then choose to use the offense chit as discussed earlier.

Another option, is to deploy the uboats this turn with a naval action. They can remain at sea this turn, and hope that France falls this turn or next, in order to rebase in France. They currently have four uboat units on the board in Kiel.

It is tempting to sortie a few surface ships also, but I think it is too early in the turn. Also the Italians are not commited yet.

It has been a really long day, so once again I will decide in the next day or two, as my time is needed elsewhere. the next few days.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 429
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/3/2014 11:59:02 AM   
Banjo

Japan land
Germany naval
Italy combined

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 430
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/3/2014 12:07:05 PM   
Banjo

Germany moves the uboats.

This is more for redeploymant than a threat to the convoys, hoping that France falls by the end of the next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 431
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/3/2014 12:11:57 PM   
Banjo

The weather and supply, have reduced the Japanese to an ART unit moving one hex.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 432
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/3/2014 12:19:44 PM   
Banjo

Impulse 7 MAY/JUN 40

The weater remais bsd.

China pass
CW naval
US, USSR, France combined.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 433
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/7/2014 10:15:39 AM   
Banjo

Impulse 9 May/JUN 40

Now that I have some free time again, its back to the game.

With the bad weather and time away from the game, I did not feel like staring at the map trying to figure out what wwas going on, and do not have the time to re read my AAR. Time to click the buttons and get on with it, since I remembered that the Allies did not have that much they wee going to do last impulse.

The sent their transport towards Gabon, to get some more units to France.

Impulse 9

The weather breaks and the war heats up again.

Japan land
Germany land
Italy combined

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 434
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/7/2014 10:26:54 AM   
Banjo

Italy moves another sub into the Western Med.

The Germans fly one ground strike mission. The French decide to intercept, but the bombers were cleared through. In order to preserve their fighters, the French abort.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 435
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/7/2014 10:29:52 AM   
Banjo

Bad luck for the Luftwaffe again.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 436
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/7/2014 10:44:40 AM   
Banjo

The Japanese will have enough strength to attack next impulse.

the Umezu HQ finally made it to the railroad. This shows how important the Changsa area is in regards for the Japanese ability to move overland. Without the control of the rail line between Changsa and Canton, and Chansa and Shanghai, it will take a long time for them to move around those mountains.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 437
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/7/2014 11:02:17 AM   
Banjo

The Gemrans moved their strongest forces to make the attack, and flew a ground support mission to bring the ratio up to 5:1.

They got a break with the die roll.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 438
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/7/2014 11:12:58 AM   
Banjo

The attack has now placed the French in a position where they will have to decide whether to hold the line, or pull away from the Maginot line.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 439
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/7/2014 11:26:51 AM   
Banjo

The decision whether or not to use their one remaining HQ to reorganize is a tough one. There is a 30% chance that the turn will end this impulse. There is one 5 str Stuka available for the next impulse, along with the ability for one attack. By using the HQ, they will be able to free up another Stuka, and land units to attack two hexes.

The matter of supply will be a factor if the turn drags on and the Germans are able to press their attacks further than their next impulse.

I will save the HQ this impulse and see what the French do. if the turn does not end.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 440
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/7/2014 11:28:17 AM   
Banjo

A good call, the turn ended.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 441
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 4/11/2014 2:29:25 AM   
terje439

Where is my daily fix?!

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 442
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 5/5/2014 12:43:16 PM   
Banjo

I can't believe it has been a month away from the game, as real life has the knack of preventing us from doing the things that we would rather be doing.

After a quick look at the last page of the AAR to refresh myself as to what was happening, i am ready to get a bit of MWIF in today. I have three or four days that I hope to be able to get some time in, and move this game along.

I am not giving up on the game, although there may be weeks that will go by without posting at least until into the fall.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 443
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 5/5/2014 12:50:36 PM   
Banjo

The US pulled a 3 chit for Japan. I seem to recall after I did it that it is better to choose Germany, but thats how it goes. I will be straining the grey matter to try to recall the finer points of the game.
Apparently I have to edit this to add the screenshot. Time to try to remember how to do it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Banjo -- 5/5/2014 1:53:16 PM >

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 444
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 5/5/2014 1:16:18 PM   
Banjo

So the pre production is finished, and the Germans have four saved oil. THis is bothering me. I remember having an issue with the oil not being saved. I think it was something that I was doing wrong, and cannot remember exactly what that was. I think the oil saved will not be computed until after the production phase ends. Also, I do not remember how much oil I used to reorganize the units last turn. We will just have to go with it here, and see what happens, as I do not have the time to hit the books today.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 445
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 5/5/2014 1:26:35 PM   
Banjo

Italian Pre production on the eve of their entry into the war.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 446
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 5/5/2014 1:32:23 PM   
Banjo

Japan

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 447
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 5/5/2014 1:34:57 PM   
Banjo

China

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 448
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 5/5/2014 1:48:51 PM   
Banjo

CW. Their oil saving has been working.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Banjo -- 5/5/2014 2:49:38 PM >

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 449
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 5/5/2014 1:58:05 PM   
Banjo

Since the situation in France is not looking good, they chose to instead of saving their unit of oil, to use it in production as to not have it fall into the hands of the Vichy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI