Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/25/2014 9:10:25 PM   
Banjo

Having been interupted by my wife to go run errands, I finaly was able to get the answer.
option 19 In the presence of the enemy. The CW SCS units in the sea zones moved add one movement point per sea area, which was enough to put me in the zero box.

So the raiders do not sail.

This is another instance where it took me several reloads to figure it out. Again, having to look through three different books to figure out a naval move problem, was a bit frustrating.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 181
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 12:31:40 AM   
Banjo

Japan moved transports back to Japan and a pair of CA to Sasabo for transport duty. Once again, I forget to load the units from sea to deliver next impulse. Its been a long day.

The only land moves were by the Germans moving west.

The impulse ends.

Allied impulse, a roll of 2 means fine weather everywhere. The Chicoms hope the turn ands after this impulse.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Banjo -- 3/26/2014 1:32:40 AM >

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 182
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 12:35:49 AM   
Banjo

China pass
USSR,US,CW combined
France land

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 183
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 12:44:12 AM   
Banjo

The CW sends the BEF unit at sea to Plymouth since they can not land in France this turn due to HQ limits maxed out. US sends the third convoy to the caribbean.

It is the strategic bombing phase. I missed sending a fighter to the North sea to try to take out the German NAV unit. It was probably a ggod thing I missed it because Germany now has fighter to spare for interception. Am too tired to continue and miss something else. Will probably wake up at 2am, and wont be able to sleep then and will have to play more. This game is addicting.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 184
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 5:31:29 AM   
Banjo

I was close, It was 1 a.m. I woke up.

By being tired, I left some cities unprotected, and the French and CW cost the Germans 2 production points lost to strategic bombing. The fighters that flew back from Poland could have made the difference. Instead, they were moved to their staging areas for the upcoming attacks in the west.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 185
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 5:51:33 AM   
Banjo

The CW rails the Manchester militia to Portsmouth to protect the port.

Land movement phase. The Chicoms could make moves to reinforce the hexes threatened by the Japanese, but would do so by giving up valuable ground to them. It is time to stand fast and take whatever is going to come.

The lonely USSR AT unit continues its march to the rear reserve area.

The French continue to move to defend.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 186
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 6:01:17 AM   
Banjo

With good weather for movement, Germany declares war on Denmark.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 187
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 6:05:13 AM   
Banjo

Germany and Japan land

Italy combined

Impulse 12.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 188
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 6:12:10 AM   
Banjo

The Italians bring the transport in Tobruk back to La Spezia.

The Japanese decided not to strategic bomb, since they will start looking where and how many of its bombers will be used in the attack on the Chicoms momentarily.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 189
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 6:49:50 AM   
Banjo

In order to maximize the number of ground strikes that I can commit, I needed to first see what I could use to attack where. I initially had two possible attacks that had different risks involved. One would have more ground strikes, and had only one div to use as losses, the had less ground strikes but two div for losses.

Realizing that moving additional units, I was able to come up with a third option, that not only increased the odds, gave me more air strikes than the first two, and gave me two div for losses.

This is of course if I have my numbers right.

Its time to commit.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 190
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 6:59:14 AM   
Banjo

That did not work out to well.

Also, I thought I could get 3 air strikes plus the ART. Must pay attention to the number of air actions in a land action choice.

Looking at those choices, a combined would give me the air, but not the land moves needed to make the attack that I want to do.

Perhaps it will be time to consider my attacks before choosing the action for the future in China?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 191
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 7:21:21 AM   
Banjo

With the Danish fleet on the run, the lone German NAV was able to intercept.

Since I went to bed way too early and woke up when I normally would be going to bed, I am going to deal with htis in the morning. There is also the First attack in the Sian campaign to next, so I will need to really pay attention to what I'm doing. No rash decisions if possible.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 192
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 2:38:09 PM   
Banjo

After waking up and feesing the cats, it was time to get back to the game for a while.

In short, things did not go as I had expected them to. Not in the results, which I never got to finding out, but the units involved. This was due to my naval understanding issues. After a few reloads, I was just as confused as I was before. It was time to hit the books again.

It took a few more reloads in order to get an interception with the NAV unit, but here is the situation that the original play was before the confusion set in. The Danish ships are probably not the same, due to overun differences, but this is a minor issue. Right now, the main thing is to see if my understanding of what units are involved in the fight is correct.

The menu is saying that I cannot save the game at this point, which would be a help.

My original thinking was, because the NAV had intercepted the Danes, that any air units that were placed by both sides would also be included in air to air combat before the AA fire phase. This is where I was wrong.

Both sides have to make the search roll. Before I found that out, in one of the reloads, the Spifire was included with the two carrier units in air to air, and another reload, only the carrier air was involved, which confused me even more. The German 109 never made an appearance at all. This is when it was time to hit the books again.

If I am right, there are not enough modifiers for the 109 to make it into the fight, even with rolling 2 on the die roll. Now that I think I understand how this works, its time to start rolling the dice again. Unless there is something else that REALLY confuses the heck out of me, the game will move on. I will post the results.

Here is the situation before I begin.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 193
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 2:52:31 PM   
Banjo

As I understand it (we have seen how wrong I can be in the past).

The Axis rolls a 2 which includes the NAV, but not the 109 because it is in the 0 box which is less than 2.

The Allied rolls a 1. With the modifiers to the searh box numbers and search roll, all of the CW units are included.

The Danes are automatically involved because they are being intercepted to begin with. Imight have this pint wrong. If you the reader know, please point this out.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 194
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 2:57:15 PM   
Banjo

Ok, everything went as I thought it would. Now I am happy enough to continue on.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 195
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 2:57:35 PM   
AxelNL

You are right in your last post. Will be a one-sided air batlle, I'm afraid. You'll be lucky if that Nav survives.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 196
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 3:03:06 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banjo

Having been interupted by my wife to go run errands, I finaly was able to get the answer.
option 19 In the presence of the enemy. The CW SCS units in the sea zones moved add one movement point per sea area, which was enough to put me in the zero box.

So the raiders do not sail.

This is another instance where it took me several reloads to figure it out. Again, having to look through three different books to figure out a naval move problem, was a bit frustrating.

After reading volume 1 for the strategic discussions, it is best to focus on RAC for rules to look up. Forms are usually quickly understand, other than production, for which there is now a good tutorial video.
The naval system is intricate and potential earlier wargaming experience does not help in this area.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 197
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 3:04:40 PM   
Banjo

The results are in and the NAV was aborted.

All that fuss just to resolve an interception. By taking the time to understand how this works in a relativly unimportant attack such as this, it will help me not make huge mistakes from not understanding something but doing it anyway because it seems like the right thing to do. Carriers and Battleships are expensive.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 198
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 3:14:41 PM   
Banjo

Whats left of the Danish ships make it into liverpool. They are welcome assets.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 199
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 3:47:35 PM   
Banjo

Hi Axel,

I'm getting more familiar with the manuals. I think they are great, but I can see how they might have been laid out a bit different. I think that the more I begin to become an intermediate level player of the game, I will understand why it was done the way it was.

With the production thing, for some reason I caught on to it pretty quick just playing around with it, bugs and all. Just lucky with that part I guess.

The naval intricacies are taking me a bit of work, but once learned, the system I think is pretty good. I still have yet to be tested when the naval war heats up. Thats why I'm taking time with it now.

Another thing that has hindered me in my past games, was to hurry up and get to the big battle that was impending. The one in this game at Sian would be a good example. I am forcing myself to not get caught up in clicking the buttons just to get to "the good stuff".

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 200
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 4:10:53 PM   
Banjo

The Germans continue west.

This impulse, I am beginning to put units close to where they need to be. Fancy diagrams and arrows on a screenshot will add to the confusion at this point. Slower units will comprise as much of the lead attacks, since the Dutch and Belgian set up is unknown. The fast movers will be where they need to be if a place in the line looks ripe for a possible breakthrough.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 201
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 5:12:33 PM   
Banjo

Before I move on to Sian, I have a question for you.

Lodz has 2 red factories. My production page says tha one factory is producing, and shows none damaged. The map shows smoke coming from one which I assume means that it is the one producing.

In my pool forms under repair, there is a factory that is listed as Lodz. In the past i have found no way to repair those factories. I have repaired damaged factories with engineers that were listed as damaged.

Looking through the manuals, but not looking everywhere I have not found my answer to my question which is:

Does a city with morre than one red factory such as this only enables one of them to be used if captured?

Can I repair this other factory with an engineer?

I have an engineer in Lodz to test this, since the turn will be over soon, and give it time to get back for the western offesive just in case I can repair it.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Units are turned off on the map.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Banjo -- 3/26/2014 6:13:24 PM >

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 202
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 5:26:15 PM   
Banjo

Japan has moved to attack.

The Manchurian group has moved into the mountains to the north and have taken Yenan, with no reaction from the US.

Two hexes by nanyang, were "hit and run" to bring them under Japanese control.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 203
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 5:28:54 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banjo

Before I move on to Sian, I have a question for you.

Lodz has 2 red factories. My production page says tha one factory is producing, and shows none damaged. The map shows smoke coming from one which I assume means that it is the one producing.

In my pool forms under repair, there is a factory that is listed as Lodz. In the past i have found no way to repair those factories. I have repaired damaged factories with engineers that were listed as damaged.

Looking through the manuals, but not looking everywhere I have not found my answer to my question which is:

Does a city with morre than one red factory such as this only enables one of them to be used if captured?

Can I repair this other factory with an engineer?

I have an engineer in Lodz to test this, since the turn will be over soon, and give it time to get back for the western offesive just in case I can repair it.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Units are turned off on the map.

Look carefully at Lodz again... There is only one red factory there. The other stack is blue...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 3/26/2014 6:29:22 PM >

Peter

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 204
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 6:03:03 PM   
Banjo

The Japanese take the hex.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 205
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 6:06:00 PM   
Banjo

Centuur, thank you. That says it all!!

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 206
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 6:07:25 PM   
Banjo

I was looking at the border of the graphic which was red, so I just assumed....

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 207
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 6:24:47 PM   
Banjo

The Manchurian attack force in the mountains to the north really cannot move west due to supply problems, but the cav exerts a ZOC, that cuts down some of the Chicoms options slightly.

Had the Sian militia not appeared at the beginning of the turn, Mao would have to consider a retreat to the west, as Sian would have been exposed on three sides instead of two.

They still face the posibility of retreat since the Japanese can now move into the empty hex.

The turn has to end and or the weather has to turn bad in order to save Sian for now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 208
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 6:33:15 PM   
Banjo

The turn ends. Hello 1940.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 209
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 3/26/2014 6:37:32 PM   
Banjo

No partisans

The Germans take two offensive, and the USSR take one defensive.

Time to read up on tension before dealing with the US entry tables.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI