Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/24/2014 7:13:03 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Near Ambon Ryujo sink a couperh of crappy ships nobody even care about and gets readed paint arr ovah Ceram Sea.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 241
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/24/2014 7:25:21 PM   
Cap Mandrake

************Aboard I-18, 240 South of Johnston Isrand*********

XO <whispering> It's Tokuda, sir, he stirr refuses to get in mini-sub. He say nobody terr him it suicide mission.

Captain: <whispering> Let me tahk to him. <wanders over to sulking Lt.> Lt. Tokuda, you rearize it is your duty to go on mission. It-ah great honor!

Lt Tokuda: If so great-ah honor then ret idiot Tanaka go.

Captain: What about your famiry, son? Your mother will be shamed.

Lt Tokuda: Mrs. Tokuda not raise stupid son. She say where-ah goddamn rife insurance poricy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/24/2014 9:49:00 PM >

Post #: 242
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/24/2014 10:26:13 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Malaysia...5th Recon Regiment jumped out ahead of the infantry.

I wonder if they could take Kluong by themselves?

It also seems that it is possible to sneak down the west coast of the peninsula and bypass Johore Bahru

Attachment (1)

Post #: 243
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/24/2014 10:27:51 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Though it does mean an unimproved road.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/24/2014 11:28:42 PM >

Post #: 244
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/24/2014 10:35:45 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

You are still going to have to attack Singapore by shock attack over the river or by amphibious assault. That is going to take some time to set up.

Post #: 245
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/24/2014 10:43:05 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

quote:

You are still going to have to attack Singapore by shock attack over the river or by amphibious assault. That is going to take some time to set up.

Yes, but if an experienced Aussie brigade is sitting in Johore it would make the attack on Singers easier.

More likely, a large flanking force would compell a withdrawal from Johore...unless we could pin them there somehow. Perhaps repeated attacks?

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 246
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/24/2014 10:50:31 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, but if an experienced Aussie brigade is sitting in Johore it would make the attack on Singers easier.

More likely, a large flanking force would compell a withdrawal from Johore...unless we could pin them there somehow. Perhaps repeated attacks?

Not speaking for anyone else but I can move troops from Johore to Singapore in 2-3 days. You have no chance of outmanuvering him unless he does not know your units are moving to Singapore via dirt road and that should be obvious once you reach the hex west of Johore Bharu.

I would work on strengthening the divide between Singapore/Johore Bharu and the north part of Malaya and then take both at your leisure.

Post #: 247
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/24/2014 11:10:32 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Yes, of course. Cut off the peninsula so the Northern units can't reach Singers. That is why, I suspect, Admirah SPrior-san has the 3 infantry regiments at Mersing moving West.

It might be possible to impede the southward movment of the Aussie brigade at jahore (when they recognize the flanking threat) by land attack or air bombardment while a larger force gets ready to cross to Singers in the West.

My recollection is that a sharp attack can reset the movement milage of unit moving "toward" a hexside. Not sure if you cna do that with air attack alone.

Post #: 248
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/24/2014 11:53:13 PM   
Quixote

quote:

Novel idea, but not possible. The map is a bit misleading. If you turn hexside detail on, you'll see you are forced to attack from Johore when attacking over land.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 249
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/24/2014 11:56:41 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

Yes, of course. Cut off the peninsula so the Northern units can't reach Singers. That is why, I suspect, Admirah SPrior-san has the 3 infantry regiments at Mersing moving West.

It might be possible to impede the southward movment of the Aussie brigade at jahore (when they recognize the flanking threat) by land attack or air bombardment while a larger force gets ready to cross to Singers in the West.

My recollection is that a sharp attack can reset the movement milage of unit moving "toward" a hexside. Not sure if you cna do that with air attack alone.

I know that any successful air attack will move a unit from move mode to combat mode but was not aware that you could actually essentially make a unit back up. If that is true then just add it to the ever growing list of **** that I was unaware of.

I think they make a manual or something....

Post #: 250
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/25/2014 2:15:24 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

I know that any successful air attack will move a unit from move mode to combat mode but was not aware that you could actually essentially make a unit back up. If that is true then just add it to the ever growing list of **** that I was unaware of.

I think they make a manual or something....

If you make an actual deliberate attack on a unit and it does not flee, I think it gives up its movement and goes into Combat/Defend mode with no movement (i.e. it digs in).
Air and artillery attacks alone will not do it - they will set Combat/defend mode with movement continuing.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 4/25/2014 5:25:31 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 251
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/25/2014 2:58:01 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Yes. You can take troops out of 'move' and put 'em into 'combat' movement. If you are fortunate enough to ground attack some troops in strategic move mode, it'll gut 'em.

Post #: 252
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/25/2014 10:37:24 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Yes. You can take troops out of 'move' and put 'em into 'combat' movement. If you are fortunate enough to ground attack some troops in strategic move mode, it'll gut 'em.

I'm pretty sure they only get knocked out of move mode and into combat mode without losing movement progress.

However, my experience with this is when only moving some of the units out of the hex, not all.

Happens a lot in China. Some of the units in a stack get mauled and I'll pull them out to be replaced with fresh units since I am playing with stacking limits and don't want to move fresh units in without pulling some out.

Hans

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 253
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/25/2014 10:47:43 AM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

I'm pretty sure they only get knocked out of move mode and into combat mode without losing movement progress.

However, my experience with this is when only moving some of the units out of the hex, not all.

Happens a lot in China. Some of the units in a stack get mauled and I'll pull them out to be replaced with fresh units since I am playing with stacking limits and don't want to move fresh units in without pulling some out.

It has been my experience that when you are moving a stack of units that only the units the air force actually attacks have a chance to be shifted from move to combat mode. At one point in my game NJP was regularly bombing the crap out of stacks I had evacuating Australia and I would have to go in on a turn by turn basis and move those units that got attacked back into move mode.

Units in the stack that were not attacked did not change modes.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 254
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/25/2014 5:40:55 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

If I remember right there was a strange software behavior that some circumstance caused mileage to be reset ..
for me the environment included crossing an enemy held hex-side and the enemy using airpower against the moving units ..
suddenly the expected crossing did not happen and the units would stay in place. I suspect there were other factors
in play that I did not understand to formulate the right pattern ...

I have no time to play WITP these days so I live vicariously through this forum ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 255
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/25/2014 6:59:39 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Right..so here is what I have..after a bout 21K words posted:

1) Ground attacks probably can reset movment to zero...maybe

2) Air attack may possibly.... in some cases... reset movement but it seems somehow related to the Mauder minimum or perhaps intergalactic neutrino storms...or maybe heartburn,

3) None of this matters here because you can't sneak down the coast West of Johore because your men will fall in the Malacca Strait and get stung to death by jellyfish.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/25/2014 8:00:51 PM >

Post #: 256
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/25/2014 8:02:38 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

Right..so here is what I have..after a bout 21K words posted:

1) Ground attacks probably can reset movment to zero...maybe

2) Air attack may possibly.... in some cases... reset movement but it seems somehow related to the Mauder minimum or perhaps intergalactic neutrino storms...or maybe heartburn,

3) None of this matters here because you can't sneak down the coast West of Johore because your men will fall in the Malacca Strait and get stung to death by jellyfish.

You forgot about the alien zombie dolphins but other than that yeah...

Post #: 257
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/25/2014 9:59:32 PM   
pws1225

I thought those were on the east coast. Learn something new every day.

Post #: 258
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/26/2014 2:06:43 PM   
Cap Mandrake

************December Ereven, 1941(d)************

Captain Mandrake-san open turn then go outside for wahrk...then see propitious sign for December Ereven. Onry probrem is Mandrake-san no-ah sure which side propitious sign for.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 259
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/26/2014 2:10:05 PM   
Cap Mandrake

You may need to adjust your monitor brightness. There is an "X" made by contrails and an "I". The "X" is a bit harder to see because of the....wait for it...Rising Sun

Post #: 260
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/26/2014 2:16:20 PM   
Cap Mandrake

PI The Bettys in Formosa have switched to bombing Hong Kong and resting. We resort to fighter sweeps but weather crappy.

This cause a few dungarees to get sent to raundry because of code brown.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Zamboanga at 74,86, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga
BB Kirishima
CL Abukuma
DD Amagiri
DD Akebono
DD Sazanami
DD Ushio

Allied Ships
xAKL Don Jose
xAKL Anakan
xAKL Bisayas
xAKL Corregidor

We capture Aparri from rocahr boy scout troop.

Post #: 261
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/26/2014 2:23:17 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Kaga froating around sinking things waiting for randing at Cagayan. We not find any rearry good stuff rike Boise.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Dadjangas at 79,94

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
D3A1 Val x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 8 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Ravnaas, Bomb hits 7, and is sunk
xAP Elcano, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Governor Wright, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage

Rook rike we have to buy some more damn carbon credits from arr of fires. Kates mostry frying scout because we use up torpedoes.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Tawi Tawi at 71,89

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
D3A1 Val x 21

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 8 damaged

Allied Ships
xAKL Bisayas, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
xAKL Anakan, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Corregidor, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Don Jose, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage

Ryujo just minding own business going back to Parau for more fish heads and rook what happen. Some kind of Engineering unit. 250 lb bombs are actuary right weapon for unarmored ships.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Talaud-eilanden at 82,97

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 8
B5N1 Kate x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAKL Surigao, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Legaspi, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAKL Kanlaon II

Allied ground losses:
1140 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 49 destroyed, 24 disabled
Engineers: 15 destroyed, 11 disabled
Guns lost 5 (5 destroyed, 0 disabled)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/26/2014 3:32:40 PM >

Post #: 262
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/26/2014 2:36:48 PM   
Cap Mandrake

USS Peary was hit by dive bomber yesterday then she try to hide in Barikpapan but sub ahready there. Probabry someone unrucky on board.

Sub attack near Balikpapan at 64,97

Japanese Ships
SS I-123

Allied Ships
DD Peary, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Post #: 263
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/26/2014 2:40:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Malaysia Khota Bahru getting annoying so we brow it up. Pretty effective for 8 inch guns.

Night Naval bombardment of Kota Bharu at 51,75

Japanese Ships
CA Kumano
CA Suzuya
CA Mikuma
CA Mogami
DD Hagikaze
DD Arashi
DD Nowaki
DD Maikaze

Allied ground losses:
411 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 32 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 6 (5 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Airbase hits 25
Airbase supply hits 14
Runway hits 70
Port hits 34
Port fuel hits 7
Port supply hits 6

RAF and Freet Air Arm eat Wheaties or something. Say herro to my reetah friend...dee 18 inch Mark XIII torpedo. (this what Japan-men sound rike trying to do Cuba-mens accent)
We are row on AA ammo too.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Mersing at 51,82

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 4
Buffalo I x 23
Swordfish I x 3
Vildebeest III x 2
Hudson I x 6

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Atago
BB Kongo, Torpedo hits 1
AK Sakura Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB Haruna

More tah white baaahstards. Both AK's sink. Good thing RAF-mens not brow up LSD ship.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Mersing at 51,82

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 7
Vildebeest III x 24
Wirraway x 6

Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest III: 2 damaged
Vildebeest III: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
LSD Shinshu Maru
xAK Atutasan Maru, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires
BB Haruna
BB Kongo
xAK Osaka Maru
AK Kyushu Maru
xAK Kansai Maru, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/26/2014 3:51:15 PM >

Post #: 264
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/26/2014 2:53:06 PM   
zuluhour

Look a rike tear in M theory

Post #: 265
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/26/2014 2:59:40 PM   
Cap Mandrake

We might even be able to attack Kluong today. 3 new units. I wonder if some are in strategic mode?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 266
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/26/2014 3:02:19 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

Look a rike tear in M theory

You mean "Mersing theory"? No airfierd yet at Mersing but Japan-mens have 35K suppry ashore.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 267
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/26/2014 4:08:50 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*********1st Annual RAF Personal Achievement Seminar, Baffles Hotel, Singapore, Dec. 10, 1041(d)****

Mr Chopra: ...........my friends..do you imagine the writers of the Kama Sutra wanted to get up and go to work every day? Of course not! There were days when they said, "Jeez, I'm kinda sore today. I think I'll just stay in the bunk"
But they did NOT stay in the bunk. They got it up. They went out and they knocked it out over and over again. Hundreds of positions.....How
did they manage that? They called upon the inner strength that we all have...that YOU have! When I look out I see the inner strength.

<he approaches the audience and begins to point>

YOU can sink Kongo!

YOU can sink Kongo!

YOU can sink Kongo!

YOU can sink Kongo!

YOU can sink Kongo! <thunderous and sustained standing ovation lasting several minutes. Eventually Gen. Percival approaches the podium and signals the audience to sit down>

Gen. Percival I'm sure you all join me in thanking Mr. Chopra for that wonderful, uplifting talk. <genuine applause again>....Now, after a luncheon, we will do some team building exercises and then Mr. Chopra will return to <looks at notes>
..to talk about "Retiring Early by Flipping Properties on the Malay Peninsula"..

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/26/2014 5:09:37 PM >

Post #: 268
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/26/2014 5:22:18 PM   
Cap Mandrake

********Anarysis of Enemy Forces in DEI and Coral Sea Areas******

Force Z;

Danae...sunk
Dragon...very heavy damage. Could repair at Soerabaja in dry dock. Not seen since Dec 7
Durban...heavy damage. Likely needs dry dock. Could repair at Soerabaja. Not seen since Dec 7
PoW......Heavy damage. Almost certainy needs dry dock. Would have to go to Colombo or South Africa. Spotted
in Soerabaja Dec 9
Repulse..Light damage. May still be operational or require dockside repairs. Not seen since Dec 9 in Soerabaja

RNN:

De Ruyter and 2 DD's with light damage. May still be operational but Banckert likely out for 1-2 weeks. Not seen since Dec 8 at Kendari

USN:

One Clemson class DD sunk. USS Peary heavily damaged. Last seen Dec 10 at Balikpapan.

RAN:

No losses.

Other RN:

Thanet.....sunk
Scout......sunk

Remaining, DEI:

Force Z.....Repulse, 4 DD's

USN.........Boise, Houston, 5 Clemson class undamaged

RNN.........De Ruyter and 4 DD's amy be operational

RN..........Thracian

Coral Sea:

Perth, Canberra, Adelaide (24 kts) and soon 2 DD's

Post #: 269
RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-pr... - 4/26/2014 5:48:03 PM   
BBfanboy

Two notes on above series of posts:

1. You get bonus! Val bomb NOT 250 lb., but 250 kg! Japan should upsize that - still dinky compared to US 1000 pounder.

2. Could that XI in the sky have anything to do with the 18" Mark XIII torpedo?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI