Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Paoshan falls

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Paoshan falls Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/9/2015 4:55:03 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sangeli

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

June 3-4, 1943

Majuro falls too easily. A SNLF unit and a base force, behind 3 forts fall to the assault of an Engineer regiment and an artillery unit

Gotta stop this downfall

Dimampur switches sides and becomes allied.

KB will now move back to the shadows. I want to move it to CENTPAC in order to ambush those invasions that are becoming too easy for Erik to be accomplished.

Lae is about to fall. He attacked today, after a heavy naval bombardment, achieving immediately a 1-1. Not good, but it was foreseen.

Are you still convinced your plan to make the Allies attack through CentPac is working?

Maybe not as I liked .

For sure he's not attacking in Burma or in the DEI, which is still fine to me.
I keep on considering CENTPAC a much better place to defend that the DEI. consider also that, when I talk about CENTPAC, I mainly mean Mariannas-Caroline...the Marshalls are just a backwater to me.
However I can't say I like the pace he's been able to keep in the Marshalls...

(in reply to Sangeli)
Post #: 1531
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/9/2015 4:56:54 PM   
GreyJoy

Here's an interesting comparison:

Frank against P47s and Hellcat against the A6M5 (the plane I've been using against the Hellcat so far).

If I can keep up the fight against the Hellcats with the A6M5, I think i'll be able to fight the P-47s on a decent ratio...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1532
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/10/2015 2:37:03 PM   
GreyJoy

We reached May 7, 1943

CENTPAC: the allies keep on advancing. They conquered a small atoll south of Kwalajein, where only a couple of squads of the 47th Nav Guard Unit were present. The allies landed with an LCI TFs, that was heavily attacked by 30 Kates dropping a rain of bombs. 7 LCIs went down, along with 2 DDs damaged, but it didn't stop the brave Raiders that easily conquered the base. The Marshalls are now more than lost, but i'll try anyway to slow them down now. KB-3 is moving to Truk in order to support the future interdiction actions in CENTPAC.

SOPAC: Lae is bombed daily now and the Naval Guard unit present there won't hold for long against the USA Regiment landed. It's ok. Coulnd't do much more anyway.
Several allied SAGs are massing at Munda, while ours are based at Torokina. Georges swept Vella La Vella, finding 50 Wildcats there. 25 F4Fs went down for 3 Georges...unfortunately my major ace (Tukugawa with 9 kills) is reported MIA

Mereuake and Horn Island have been re-supplied with lots of goodies. Now it's all about waiting for him to come.

Erik keeps on reconing Exmouth...waiting for him to advance here.

Sending men and supplies to Siberoet and to other places in Sumatra... building forts and AFs...

Our retreating army in India reached Imphal, overstacking a lot. All my transports are busy delivering supplies to the starving troops. Enemy tanks are on our heels, but I think from now on we are safe. 2 Divisions will hold the enemy, while the rest of the army will march towards Kalemyo and then to Burma.

CHINA: Another failed attack south of Chungking... but I am still confident.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1533
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/10/2015 2:47:52 PM   
GreyJoy

Ok, so now, strategically, we do consider:

The Marshalls and the lower NG, along with the Solomons, LOST.

The new perimeter (the real one), goes from:

Finschhafen-Torokina to Rabaul-Kavieng (with Bouganville now pretty much being just a delaying theatre).
Truk-Ponape-Kusiae, with Kusiae not more than a delaying theatre.
Exmouth-Port Hedland-Derby, being a MUST DEFEND outpost.
Horn Island - Mereuake-Taberfane-Darwin.

Ready to send lots of units to the Marshalls from China and Japan.

I am not forgetting the Kuriles either. waiting for some PPs to accumulate in order to send the last regiment of the 42nd ID to Onnekotan Jiima.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1534
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/10/2015 3:06:17 PM   
veji1

Say you are Obvert, what would you do ? What do Port Blair, tha Andamans and Nicobar look like ?

Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1535
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/10/2015 3:18:25 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: veji1

Say you are Obvert, what would you do ? What do Port Blair, tha Andamans and Nicobar look like ?

Port Blair is well defended, with 350 AVs and artillery behind 5 forts. Rangoon (which is a lvl 9 AF) protects it pretty well.
Great Nicobar and the rest of the Adamans are being built. The defence of that chain is anchored between Sebang (level 9 AF) and Port Blair (level 6 AF).
I think it's too early for him to invade here, however I don't forget that part of the map. Many SNLF units, coming back from India, are already 100% prepped for those islands and the engineers are already at work. Base forces are ready in Singapore to be transferred here..

If I was Erik? I would probably keep on pushing through the Marshalls/CENTPAC and try to flank Rabaul on its right flank. That's where I wait for him with the KB...

An "hail mary" move to Java is also possible, but it would be pretty risky now... and as soon as my guys get back from Imphal, i'll be able to move back to Singapore quite a decent army

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 1536
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/10/2015 4:22:18 PM   
veji1

quote:

quote:

Port Blair is well defended, with 350 AVs and artillery behind 5 forts. Rangoon (which is a lvl 9 AF) protects it pretty well.
Great Nicobar and the rest of the Adamans are being built. The defence of that chain is anchored between Sebang (level 9 AF) and Port Blair (level 6 AF).
I think it's too early for him to invade here, however I don't forget that part of the map. Many SNLF units, coming back from India, are already 100% prepped for those islands and the engineers are already at work. Base forces are ready in Singapore to be transferred here..

If I was Erik? I would probably keep on pushing through the Marshalls/CENTPAC and try to flank Rabaul on its right flank. That's where I wait for him with the KB...

An "hail mary" move to Java is also possible, but it would be pretty risky now... and as soon as my guys get back from Imphal, i'll be able to move back to Singapore quite a decent army

A move on those islands would be risky that early, but in a PDU-off context, less so. With PDU on you could swarm him with quality planes, sweep him to death once he took the base, etc.. wiht pdu off, I don't know it would be an audacious way of putting you in a precarious position in Burma straight away, plus opening the possiblity of going for the back end of Sumatra later, from India or from a reconquered western Oz.

Agreed, if I were him I would keep bringing up the pressure on PNG/Sopac theater, with the next big moves being Merauke and Horn Island to ensure access to the DEI. He has time though.

In a PDU off environment grinding your airforce is once again a legitimate and achievable objective : you only have so many quality airframes, so multivector aerial campaigns will force you to either relinquish air space or fight in baddish planes. He needs to do what he did in Ceylon again. (I suppose it will start in Burma fairly soon).

mid43... still so early, you need to stall him for a looooong time now : you don't want him bombing your oil for at least another year.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1537
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/10/2015 4:38:15 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

A move on those islands would be risky that early, but in a PDU-off context, less so. With PDU on you could swarm him with quality planes, sweep him to death once he took the base, etc.. wiht pdu off, I don't know it would be an audacious way of putting you in a precarious position in Burma straight away, plus opening the possiblity of going for the back end of Sumatra later, from India or from a reconquered western Oz.

Agreed, if I were him I would keep bringing up the pressure on PNG/Sopac theater, with the next big moves being Merauke and Horn Island to ensure access to the DEI. He has time though.

In a PDU off environment grinding your airforce is once again a legitimate and achievable objective : you only have so many quality airframes, so multivector aerial campaigns will force you to either relinquish air space or fight in baddish planes. He needs to do what he did in Ceylon again. (I suppose it will start in Burma fairly soon).

mid43... still so early, you need to stall him for a looooong time now : you don't want him bombing your oil for at least another year.

And that's where my strategy is aiming since day 1: keep him as far as possible, as long as possible, away from my oilfields.

Mid 1943 is where my gap in quality airframes becomes less important: with Franks, Tonies "d" and Oscars IV I am starting to feel way better in terms of quality.

I still need to reinforce and solidify my perimeter, but I am quite happy about how it looks like now. Horn and Mereuake are really tough nuts to crack and cannot be bypassed if he wants to go that way.
Finshhafen and Umboi Island are too two beautiful fortress...surely can be conquered, but they should slow him down enough.

A direct assault towards the Mariannas is out of question for the moment, that's why I am keeping the KB in a position to be able to cover the I.O. flank.

Once the retreat from India will be completed, the whole western front should become much more strong and stable, especially if the KB will be on guard

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 1538
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/10/2015 4:49:29 PM   
Sangeli

Well if you look at Spidery's game against MrKane where the Allies were able to pull off such a move in Java it is largely due to the Allies having a decisive edge in CVs in that game. The Japanese had lost a handful of CVs/CVLs but the Allies had lost almost nothing. Luckily GreyJoy is in a better position than Spidery was at this point and not just CVs. Also with Exmouth and Port Hedland still in Japanese hands a move towards Java seems unlikely.

I think Erik is going to go for a more standard approach and largely continue what he is doing right now. That means taking the rest of the Marshalls and bypassing Rabaul. I just don't think he has enough of an edge over Japan yet to make a hail mary worth the risk right now. If I were Erik I would continue trudging forward and try to fight a CV battle sometime in 43 on favorable terms; I don't think he can move on the Marianas until he defeats you in a CV battle or opens up a DEI front.

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 1539
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/10/2015 5:03:37 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

Well if you look at Spidery's game against MrKane where the Allies were able to pull off such a move in Java it is largely due to the Allies having a decisive edge in CVs in that game. The Japanese had lost a handful of CVs/CVLs but the Allies had lost almost nothing. Luckily GreyJoy is in a better position than Spidery was at this point and not just CVs. Also with Exmouth and Port Hedland still in Japanese hands a move towards Java seems unlikely.

I think Erik is going to go for a more standard approach and largely continue what he is doing right now. That means taking the rest of the Marshalls and bypassing Rabaul. I just don't think he has enough of an edge over Japan yet to make a hail mary worth the risk right now. If I were Erik I would continue trudging forward and try to fight a CV battle sometime in 43 on favorable terms; I don't think he can move on the Marianas until he defeats you in a CV battle or opens up a DEI front.

Mr.Kane in that game surely did a great move in Java. But he had already the NW coast of Oz. With Exmouth, Cocos and Sebang (and Diego for the moment) in my hands, a move unseen towards Java is very complicated. And if I see him coming with weeks of advance, I can move the whole KB in place...

Here's what the SOPAC/SWPAC theatre looks like.
Bouganville can be easily bypassed, once he will be able to close Torokina AF. Then the next move should be a by-passing approach moving NE of Kavieng towards Manus. Doable, but with the KB lurking not exactly a walk in the park.

Finshhafen and Umboi are the key for the NG coast. He can get Lae and he can move north, but if he wants his navy to move forwards he needs to get those two bases first. It should take a good while to clear that choke point. Time that I will use to build my next defensive line (Sarmi-Biak-Sorong).

Mereuake and Horn aren't that easy to be bypassed or closed. No other base around to be used for a frog-leap strategy...so if he wants to get into the DEI from that door he needs to have one of the two IMHO.

The same for NW Oz. If he wants to advance towards the DEI, he needs to get Exmouth first. The only way to bypass Exmouth is by taking Port Hedland... but it's a long shot...almost impossible when it's defended by 40,000 well armed, well dug in, well supplied men.

Let's see guys. Now the my whole defensive strategy will be under exam. I am pretty curious to see if what I have planned will work or will crumble miserably under the hits of Erik's ideas... tense but really interesting moments!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by GreyJoy -- 2/10/2015 6:03:59 PM >

(in reply to Sangeli)
Post #: 1540
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/10/2015 5:15:15 PM   
GreyJoy

The long march from India

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1541
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/10/2015 5:18:00 PM   
GreyJoy

As u can see, the bulk of the Marshalls is already lost. I will, however, try to slow him down here as much as possible. The goal is not to lose Ponape before mid 1944

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1542
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/10/2015 5:30:03 PM   
MrKane

quote:

Java move was very complicated operation. It took me over 200 turn to prepare units and ships. And all was just one big gamble, to land on Java I needed eliminate KB. To stop invasion Marin could just refuse CV battle. I would not risk landing without air superiority.

(in reply to Sangeli)
Post #: 1543
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/11/2015 3:32:08 AM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

Mr.Kane in that game surely did a great move in Java. But he had already the NW coast of Oz. With Exmouth, Cocos and Sebang (and Diego for the moment) in my hands, a move unseen towards Java is very complicated. And if I see him coming with weeks of advance, I can move the whole KB in place...

Here's what the SOPAC/SWPAC theatre looks like.
Bouganville can be easily bypassed, once he will be able to close Torokina AF. Then the next move should be a by-passing approach moving NE of Kavieng towards Manus. Doable, but with the KB lurking not exactly a walk in the park.

Finshhafen and Umboi are the key for the NG coast. He can get Lae and he can move north, but if he wants his navy to move forwards he needs to get those two bases first. It should take a good while to clear that choke point. Time that I will use to build my next defensive line (Sarmi-Biak-Sorong).

Mereuake and Horn aren't that easy to be bypassed or closed. No other base around to be used for a frog-leap strategy...so if he wants to get into the DEI from that door he needs to have one of the two IMHO.

The same for NW Oz. If he wants to advance towards the DEI, he needs to get Exmouth first. The only way to bypass Exmouth is by taking Port Hedland... but it's a long shot...almost impossible when it's defended by 40,000 well armed, well dug in, well supplied men.

Let's see guys. Now the my whole defensive strategy will be under exam. I am pretty curious to see if what I have planned will work or will crumble miserably under the hits of Erik's ideas... tense but really interesting moments!

Obvert is a little to deliberate for my liking. I don't think he needs to take so many bases back. But he is a patient player and it will probably work. Nazdab is the key. Once he takes it the theater is done for. I would not even bother with Rabaul or Kavieng.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1544
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/11/2015 5:24:28 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Obvert is a little to deliberate for my liking. I don't think he needs to take so many bases back. But he is a patient player and it will probably work. Nazdab is the key. Once he takes it the theater is done for. I would not even bother with Rabaul or Kavieng.

Nazdab isn't that important IMHO. He already has Buna and PM (which are both level 9 AF). Nazdab will surely be usefull for his advance northwards, but with Buna he already has a level 9 AF in front of my main line.
I know what that means in terms of 4Es, but i also know that it takes time to move and organize for the allies... and time is what i am trying to buy here.
I needto remember that SOPAC isn't the key of my defence. SOPAC is just a step towards the Mariannas/DEI. I will try not to waste my navy and air army here too much

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 1545
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/11/2015 5:50:40 AM   
GreyJoy

May 8, 1943

Roi-Namur (Marshalls) is attacked by 35 sweeping Hellcats, supported by some F4Fs on LRCAP and followed by 25 Navy Liberators. Only a brave group of 27 A6M8s stands and fight, losing 12 planes, but bringing down 9 Wildcats and 3 Hellcats. The base isheavily bombed anyway and soon it will be closed.

The allies also starts to sweep Umboi Island, finding only thin air this time, but it's clear that their power in the theatre is already unbeatable. My resources are scarce here and i need to use them wisely...but that means i can't defend everything and am forced to play a cat n mouse game...a game i am going to lose simply because there are too many cats around

Imphal is heavily bombed, but flak and storms help reduce the accurancy of his 4Es. Tomorrow the overstacking will be over with the bulk of the army moving out towards Kalemyo. The allies will already be in place with their tank army. Need to delay them...

Franks are flowing online as they come out of the factories. Already two full 42 sentais are operative at Mandalay for the joy of my eyes ;-)

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1546
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/11/2015 7:21:28 AM   
veji1

quote:

quote:

Nazdab isn't that important IMHO. He already has Buna and PM (which are both level 9 AF). Nazdab will surely be usefull for his advance northwards, but with Buna he already has a level 9 AF in front of my main line.
I know what that means in terms of 4Es, but i also know that it takes time to move and organize for the allies... and time is what i am trying to buy here.
I needto remember that SOPAC isn't the key of my defence. SOPAC is just a step towards the Mariannas/DEI. I will try not to waste my navy and air army here too much

Also 4Es are of course always great for the allies, but in a theatre with lots jungle and quality terrain for defence, their effect is mitigated. In the DEI (Java, Sumatra), Burma and othere theatres with clearer grounds, they become mortal.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1547
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/11/2015 11:44:34 AM   
MrKane

quote:

May 8, 1943

Roi-Namur (Marshalls) is attacked by 35 sweeping Hellcats, supported by some F4Fs on LRCAP and followed by 25 Navy Liberators. Only a brave group of 27 A6M8s stands and fight, losing 12 planes, but bringing down 9 Wildcats and 3 Hellcats. The base isheavily bombed anyway and soon it will be closed.

The allies also starts to sweep Umboi Island, finding only thin air this time, but it's clear that their power in the theatre is already unbeatable. My resources are scarce here and i need to use them wisely...but that means i can't defend everything and am forced to play a cat n mouse game...a game i am going to lose simply because there are too many cats around

Imphal is heavily bombed, but flak and storms help reduce the accurancy of his 4Es. Tomorrow the overstacking will be over with the bulk of the army moving out towards Kalemyo. The allies will already be in place with their tank army. Need to delay them...

Franks are flowing online as they come out of the factories. Already two full 42 sentais are operative at Mandalay for the joy of my eyes ;-)

Seems to me you going to like A6M8 :)

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1548
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/11/2015 2:33:04 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

Well, sorta my point is that taking "all" the bases is not efficient for the Allies. If the Japanese player takes his carriers to India then the Allied player should go deep into Japanese territory and take key bases that otherwise he would not be able to later in the game. Attached is my situation map in 10/42. Note how few bases I have but I do have some key ones. I know that there is a real risk of losing either Rabual or Nazdab back to Japan but my experience is that the base closest to Japan is the point where the Japanese will have to fight. I can afford to lose one of the two at this point. So why not go as deep as you can and then you can work on the rear bases you need later. For the Allies I don't think it matters if you lose a few battles and some units at this stage. The key is being able to dictate where the fight takes place.

Attachment (1)

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1549
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/11/2015 3:13:36 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

Also, he would have to supply Nazdab by sea if he wanted to use it for serious operations. Air drops and supply through the jungle from PM just won't cut it. And that means he'd also need air superiority, which is where Rabaul comes in.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1550
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/15/2015 7:31:27 AM   
GreyJoy

May 8-13, 1943

My father is still in coma, so turns have been slow and the will to update the AAR a bit low. However things seem to get a little bit better today...let' hope for the best

In the last week the allies have made some more steps towards Rabaul.
Lae is conquered and the allies are already sending engineers there, while keeping an eye on my bases at Umboi and Torokina, where the next battles will probably be fought.

On the 13th they finally come for Torokina.
And they won...

At night a strong cruiser TF, composed of their best assets (Fletchers, Brooklin and Cleveland Class CLs), engages Tanaka's cruisers... Tanaka fought well, crossing the T, but was chased down and resulted in being outgunned and outnumbered by the modern enemy's cruisers.
Chikuma sinks and Takao is at risk, with 70 Sys damage... in return we've bagged just the Phoenix and a couple of DDs...not enough to justify the loss of two priceless Cruisers.... oh well...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Torokina at 109,130, Range 11,000 Yards

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
SOC-1 Seagull: 3 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Tone
CA Chikuma, Shell hits 14, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA Takao, Shell hits 10, heavy fires
DD Akigumo
DD Kazegumo
DD Takanami
DD Suzunami
DD Fujinami
DD Hayanami, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
DD Shiranui
DD Tachekaze, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CL Honolulu, Shell hits 1
CL Phoenix, Shell hits 12, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
CL Nashville
CL Columbia, Shell hits 4
DD Chevalier
DD Kalk, Shell hits 16, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Doyle, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Craven, Shell hits 4, heavy fires
DD McCall
DD Ellet, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Balch

Improved night sighting under 82% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 82% moonlight: 12,000 yards
Range closes to 23,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 23,000 yards
Range closes to 17,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 17,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 11,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 11,000 yards
Tanaka, Raizo crosses the 'T'
CA Takao engages CL Columbia at 11,000 yards

Range closes to 6,000 yards
CL Columbia engages CA Takao at 6,000 yards

Range closes to 2,000 yards

Range increases to 6,000 yards
CA Takao engages CL Columbia at 6,000 yards

Range increases to 8,000 yards
CL Phoenix engages CA Takao at 8,000 yards

Range increases to 10,000 yards
CA Takao engages CL Columbia at 10,000 yards

Range closes to 9,000 yards
CL Phoenix engages CA Takao at 9,000 yards

Range increases to 10,000 yards
CL Phoenix engages CA Takao at 10,000 yards

Range closes to 6,000 yards
CA Takao engages CL Honolulu at 6,000 yards

Range closes to 3,000 yards
CL Columbia engages CA Chikuma at 3,000 yards

CL Phoenix sunk by CA Tone at 8,000 yards

Task forces break off...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submarine attack near Torokina at 109,130

Japanese Ships
SSX Ha-36

Allied Ships
DD Kalk, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

DD Kalk is sighted by SSX Ha-36
SSX Ha-36 launches 2 torpedoes at DD Kalk

Then a Fast transport TF unloads at Arawe... clearly they want to get close to Rabaul and circle Umboi Island...

Morning Air attack on TF, near Arawe at 102,126

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D4Y1 Judy x 36

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Ic x 2
Boomerang C-12 x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y1 Judy: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
APD Talbot, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
APD Crosby, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
APD Chew, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
APD Fox

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 1000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb
16 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 2000'
4 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 3000'

Morning Air attack on TF, near Arawe at 102,126

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 36

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Ic x 1
Boomerang C-12 x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 3 destroyed, 5 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
APD Talbot, heavy fires
APD Chew, on fire, heavy damage
APD Fox
APD Crosby, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Arawe at 102,126

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D4Y1 Judy x 32
Ki-43-IIb Oscar x 36

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Ic x 2

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
APD Talbot, Bomb hits 7, and is sunk
APD Fox
APD Kennison, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
APD Chew, on fire, heavy damage

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Arawe at 102,126

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 28

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
APD Chew, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
APD Fox, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

...his LRCAP is not well coordinated and, for the loss of 15 planes, we managed to sink the whole TF...but they have already unloaded the raiders....

In the Marshalls, Maloaep is bombed by 100 bombers and its fate is now doomed.

At Imphal, the enemy's tanks attack... we repulsed them easily, but the supplies are almost gone... need to get out of there before he can push me out...

South of Chungking we attacked a couple more times...without success...but 2 more Tank Divisions are arriving and i have great hopes for them...let's see if i can master a coup the grace with my elite units in China.

On the 9th CS Mizuho is torpedoed approaching Truk... 2 fishes...... 70 Flt Damage... will be very hard to save her...

Losing too many ships lately...gotta be more carefull...

Everywhere else is quiet... no sign of the american CVs....

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1551
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/15/2015 7:39:32 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, sorta my point is that taking "all" the bases is not efficient for the Allies. If the Japanese player takes his carriers to India then the Allied player should go deep into Japanese territory and take key bases that otherwise he would not be able to later in the game. Attached is my situation map in 10/42. Note how few bases I have but I do have some key ones. I know that there is a real risk of losing either Rabual or Nazdab back to Japan but my experience is that the base closest to Japan is the point where the Japanese will have to fight. I can afford to lose one of the two at this point. So why not go as deep as you can and then you can work on the rear bases you need later. For the Allies I don't think it matters if you lose a few battles and some units at this stage. The key is being able to dictate where the fight takes place.

I get what you mean, an i agree with you. Erik, however, is taking a very wise way to advance imho. Taking all the bases he can and creating a carpet of mutual-defending bases, he can avoid using his CVs to advance. He also never uses the precious APA/AKAs, clearly keeping them for the major operations when the CVs will be involved. It's a wise move, imho.

I know how much those level 9 AFs will impact on our operations. I just can't defend all of them. Remember that this theatre is still very far from the inner perimeter where i want to fight...i need to delay him here as much as possible... and the best way is not, imho, to defend all the major AFs, but to defend hard those couple of Choke points he cannot bypass if he wants to advance (Umboi, Horn-Mereuake etc)... let's see if i am right or not

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 1552
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/15/2015 11:48:50 AM   
ny59giants

Prayers for your father and family Nic.

Attrition is now your enemy on the high seas. We both know that you cannot keep up a battle of attrition here as anything less than 2:1 (probably 3:1) is a losing proposition for Japan.

You are finishing up the one year of game play (Summer 42 to 43) where the balance of power shifts and the end of the Empire really starts to show.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1553
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/15/2015 12:02:53 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Prayers for your father and family Nic.

Attrition is now your enemy on the high seas. We both know that you cannot keep up a battle of attrition here as anything less than 2:1 (probably 3:1) is a losing proposition for Japan.

You are finishing up the one year of game play (Summer 42 to 43) where the balance of power shifts and the end of the Empire really starts to show.

Thanks Micheal!

Yeah, i know. Been there against Brad and i remember how the attrition killed my Navy from summer 43 to April 44. But at the same time, can Japan really avoid that if the allies start to push? I doubt, unless you want to lose ground too fast.

It's a balancing strategy...i need to fight but not till the very end... very complicated, i know

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1554
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/15/2015 3:29:28 PM   
crsutton

quote:

I get what you mean, an i agree with you. Erik, however, is taking a very wise way to advance imho. Taking all the bases he can and creating a carpet of mutual-defending bases, he can avoid using his CVs to advance. He also never uses the precious APA/AKAs, clearly keeping them for the major operations when the CVs will be involved. It's a wise move, imho.

I know how much those level 9 AFs will impact on our operations. I just can't defend all of them. Remember that this theatre is still very far from the inner perimeter where i want to fight...i need to delay him here as much as possible... and the best way is not, imho, to defend all the major AFs, but to defend hard those couple of Choke points he cannot bypass if he wants to advance (Umboi, Horn-Mereuake etc)... let's see if i am right or not

Actually, I am discovering that for Japan it seems like the most important bases to defend are those with suitable stacking limits. (Of which there are very few between Milne Bay and the PI). Unlike stock, the Allies will have major logistic headaches mounting large operations. They almost need to be coordinated from Australia which should slow the pace of advance. I am already running into this problem in my current game.

< Message edited by crsutton -- 2/15/2015 4:29:57 PM >

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1555
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/15/2015 9:27:06 PM   
JohnDillworth

I expect he is going to keep nibbling and taking until he gets tweaked. Clearly he is not going to risk his CV's and yet you are not willing to smack him back with the KB. How much fuel has the KB burned this month doing supply runs while he continues to grab base after base?

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 1556
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/15/2015 10:03:01 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

I expect he is going to keep nibbling and taking until he gets tweaked. Clearly he is not going to risk his CV's and yet you are not willing to smack him back with the KB. How much fuel has the KB burned this month doing supply runs while he continues to grab base after base?

How much fuel? Honestly i don't know. I've made a small trip from Singapore to Mereuake...not that much i hope. Maybe 50K...

I understand what you mean, but where should i use my KB? In the Solomons/NG against xAKLs and xAPc or APDs? fighting against his LBA, while leaving the door open for a landing supported by the allied DS in Sumatra or Java? The KB won't be used in SOPAC/SwPAC and will guard the western front untill the Mariannas/Caroline are theatrened (and untill the western front is more secure).

May 14th, 1943

The allied bombard Arawe. We counter dropping in a para regiment. The australian company sent by APDs yesterday attacks...and is smashed down.
The allies also attack at Imphal... 1-5 in our favour, but half of my units have ZERO supplies left...can't stay there for long now. The retreat of the bulk of the army is more or less completed...few more days and we'll start moving back...

44 Georges sweep Lae...finding 11 Spitfires and 7 Boomerangs... all destroyed for no loss

36 Franks are ready to be moved to Rabaul...this will help a lot the defence of the air here.

KB-3 (3 CVs + CVLs and CVEs) reached Ponape unseen...let's see if i can ambush him in the Marshalls...where 130 bombers hit every day Maloaep and Majuro

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1557
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/16/2015 7:56:21 AM   
GreyJoy

The situation is fluid.

Burma is more or less stabilized.
At Mandalay there are now more than 150 KI-84a Franks, backed up by A6M8s and KI-44c Tojos. Enough to counter any attempt to gain the control of the air space over central Burma.

Sooner than later NW Oz will be attacked. I am preparing as best as I can there. I think it will take him quite a lot of time to move to Exmouth (which has 900 AVs behind 5 forts). Port Hedland is still safe, even if the building up of the AFs in Central Western Oz is somehow worrisome

The pressure remains on SOPAC and SWPAC, and, obviously, on CENTPAC (MArshalls).
The goal is still to fight a delaying retreat in these theatres. There are still a couple of surprises I have for my good friend Erik

KI-43 IV is confirmed to be arriving by mid june 43, along with the KI-61 d (Tony) and the D4Y2 (needed for the upgrade path towards the D4Y3 Judy).

The KI-43 IV will be a very important plane in the Pacific theatre, where there are a lot of small AFs to operate from

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1558
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/16/2015 10:25:03 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

quote:

Actually, I am discovering that for Japan it seems like the most important bases to defend are those with suitable stacking limits. (Of which there are very few between Milne Bay and the PI). Unlike stock, the Allies will have major logistic headaches mounting large operations. They almost need to be coordinated from Australia which should slow the pace of advance. I am already running into this problem in my current game.

Been there against Mr.Kane and I know what you mean.
For the allies the SLs impact a lot the pace of advance and that's why I decided to change my defending strategy for Japan compared to what I did against QBall.
Look for good spots to defend and to maximise the SL. Finshhtafen and Umboi Is. look good in this optic:

Finshhafen has +3 terrain and a SL of 25,000
Umboi has +2 terrain and a SL of 35,000.

Finshhafen will have a division, some CD guns, a 240mm heavy arty unit and some AA.
Umboi an Area HQ (with range 4), a division reinforced by some AA units, AT guns, Wake CD unit and a couple of SNLF regiments (with IJN 43 squads).

They both have 6 forts...

enough to cause some headhaces to Erik I hope

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 1559
RE: Paoshan falls - 2/16/2015 10:03:12 PM   
GreyJoy

May 15, 1943

A quiet day. Massive air bombings of Maloep.
Erik recons with B-25s Kweyiang (China). CAP is set.
Repeated recon missions over Magwe. CAP is set.
The retreat continues from Imphal. Now the army will move back to Kalemyo. We're doing pretty well here, considering the lack of supplies and the superiority of allied tanks.
The first 2 divisions reached the plains of the Irradaway! HURRAH!
Waiting for the first allied air missions over Burma.
Allied SAGs massing at Munda...

Quiet everywhere else.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1560
Page:   <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Paoshan falls Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI