Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Railgun, anyone?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Railgun, anyone? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 2:57:11 AM   
mikmykWS

Yeah. Honestly the first step to get us to implement anything is to provide sources, stats and pictures do speak a thousand words.

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 6/14/2015 4:10:09 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 31
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 10:59:55 AM   
ComDev

What Mike said

We also need a 'mission' for the rail guns. Been reading a bit about them and there's a ton of stuff on the technology but not so much on the operational side of things? There is already a capability to deliver guided 40kg+ shells at distances up to 150km using conventional guns. So what would the rail gun do that justifies the hassle? Some sources talk about an ABM defence role as a kinetic kill alternative to laser guns, but that is pretty unrealistic to achieve in the 2015-2020 time frame.

So if we added 'Railgun Mk1' to the database, what would its role be?
What types of shell would it carry?
What would the shell capabilities be? Stats & weights? Guidance?
Etc.

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 32
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 1:24:27 PM   
AlmightyTallest

Only could find the following info for the rounds, take note of the MJ ratings though.

Below is the unclassified Navsea .pdf on the Railgun program, might give some clues and ranges based on the energy output of the weapon. Initial guidance seems to be GPS, with other types for use against maneuvering targets.

http://www.navsea.navy.mil/Media/SAS2015/14APR_2_Ziv.pdf

http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/04/railgun-roadmap-review.html

Info on a "Barrage Round" that was tested and proposed for the Railgun round. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/barrnd.htm

< Message edited by AlmightyTallest -- 6/14/2015 2:45:18 PM >

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 33
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 2:02:14 PM   
thewood1

Opportunities and abilities seem pretty vague.

(in reply to AlmightyTallest)
Post #: 34
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 3:20:16 PM   
AlmightyTallest

Well, from this site: http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/04/railgun-roadmap-review.html

And this report: https://www.navalengineers.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/2009%20Proceedings%20Documents/AD%202009/Papers/Ziv_Johnson.pdf

quote:

Benefits of the EMRG include enabling maneuver forces to move quickly to their objectives
ashore with a reduced logistical tail and improving end-to-end logistics made possible by the use
of non-explosive projectiles. Recent history has shown that explosives significantly complicate
sustained and stability operations. Additionally EMRG provides operational support for dangerclose
and terrain masked targeting.

quote:

The anticipated range of the EMRG at 64 MJ (222 NM) exceeds the anticipated range of all
current or near-term projectiles including the Long Range Land Attack Projectile (LRLAP) and
supports the future assault range of the US Marine Corps (USMC) MV-22. (See Figure 4.) This
capability will allow the EMRG to complement USMC MV-22 tactical air assets in high
operational tempo engagements and may be used to provide support to forces ashore when
operational or environmental conditions do not permit the flow of air power to the target
location. Even at 32 MJ (half the full tactical energy level), the EMRG will have an anticipated
range of approximately 110 NM, whichisequaltothecurrentUSMC“ship-to-objective
maneuver”(STOM)distanceof200km(about110NM).

quote:

The EMRG will provide Joint Forces a unique capability for volume fire at long range, enabling
rapid engagement of a wide variety of targets including stationary structures, such as buildings
and bridges, and relocatable targets, such as surface-to-air missiles for Suppression of Enemy Air
Defense (SEAD) (Pifer et al. 2007). Current weapon systems, such as tactical aircraft (TACAIR)
or cruise missiles, have comparable or greater ranges than a 64-MJ EMRG projectile at
significantly greater costs, but cannot provide an equivalent volume of fires. Other Naval guns
can provide volume of fires, but at significantly shorter ranges. The EMRG provides a truly
unique capability for volume fire at long range and an ability to engage targets in a high-threat
environment. The use of the EMRG enables rapid engagement of a wide range of target sets,
while freeing up TACAIR and cruise missiles to concentrate on high-value targets that are not
likely to be engaged effectively with first-generation EMRG weapon systems.

quote:

Finally, the high-altitude flight profile and steep attack angle of EMRG projectiles provide
greater flexibility to attack targets effectively in mountainous terrain by using projectiles that are
practically invulnerable to enemy counterattack. It is impractical for the enemy to engage EMRG
projectiles as they descend into the target area. Theprojectile’ssmall size and extremely high
velocity present a very difficult target and an unfavorable geometry to enemy defensive systems.
In addition, the large number of EMRG projectiles will likely overcome any enemy defensive
system. Future EMRG system development could enable an unprecedented capability to place
rounds in a pre-determined pattern to dramatically increase target lethality over a wide range of
potential threats.

There's some specifics on operational scenarios for the system, not sure if it warrants a new entry in the DB though yet.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 35
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 8:49:17 PM   
spacenavy90

corazon ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

< Message edited by spacenavy90 -- 6/15/2015 1:11:36 AM >

(in reply to dandin384)
Post #: 36
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 9:03:26 PM   
thewood1

Maybe backing off a little on expressing disappointment would help ratchet down someone's penchant for snarkiness. IOW, saying you are disappointed because some futuristic weapon system isn't in a database that has literally 10's of thousands of entries is a might strong.

How about...hey great job on this and was wondering if the recently deployed for tests rail gun would make it in....and it could also have been put in the database request thread. You came off as a somewhat ungrateful snit.

(in reply to spacenavy90)
Post #: 37
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 9:05:52 PM   
thewood1

Looking again and you have two freaking posts and THAT was you're first post. And your second comes off no better. I am sure you know a lot more about how the game is developed and maintained. Because that is how you are coming across. I would suggest re-reading your TWO posts and think about someone developing a game that is under constant development might take that. I have nothing to do with the game and I am annoyed.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 38
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 9:10:09 PM   
spacenavy90

fiesta ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

< Message edited by spacenavy90 -- 6/15/2015 1:12:03 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 39
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 9:34:05 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

This has never stopped you from implementing already hypothetical equipment such as: Mobile offshore bases, or anti-torpedo torpedoes, or do I even have to mention the entire "hypothetical" platforms in the unit menu?
And why exactly do you need a "mission" to go with it? There is a mission editor built in for a reason. And it is absolutely NOT unrelated considering the first ship prototype is being sailed NEXT year in 2016.

Its our game we can do whatever we like with it. You can not like that all you want

Post #: 40
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 9:36:05 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

We must not be in the same thread then, because there has been a ton of information posted in this thread alone. Not to mention the amount located on the internet that is easily obtainable through a simple Google search.

The links provided don't have what we need. If you could do one of your simple google searches and provide this then case closed right?

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 6/14/2015 10:42:05 PM >

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 41
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 9:54:07 PM   
thewood1

quote:

ORIGINAL: spacenavy90

Seriously, last I checked this is a railgun discussion thread so stop trying to derail it with your bickering.

Stop trying to dictate how people should or shouldn't act, if you want to do that maybe you should go make a separate thread.

I didn't realize I had the power to dictate that. I'll have to try that out on my wife. What I do have the power to do is point out that people might want to have a little common courtesy, especially on a private forum. I'll see if the Avengers have need of this power you claim I have.

Post #: 42
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 9:58:50 PM   
spacenavy90

What an incredibly pretentious and cancerous forum.
Congratulations on losing another one of your already low population of supporters.
I'll be getting my refund back from Steam now.

Good day gents.

Post #: 43
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 9:59:12 PM   
mikmykWS

Cya

Post #: 44
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 9:59:53 PM   
thewood1

I guess the disappointment was just too much.

Post #: 45
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 10:16:05 PM   
mikmykWS

Yeah not sure what he wanted anybody to do..Alienate the people he was alienating

We weren't even saying no to his request just that more info was needed.

Mike

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 46
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 10:30:12 PM   
thewood1

I don't mean to come across as a forum bully, but opening up a year old thread to express disappointment over a pretty minor thing seems a little stupid.

A) Introduce yourself
B) Recognize the devs might have other priorities
C) Acknowledge the devs have hugely support the game and add stuff all the time from suggestions from their customers
D) Read over the forums a little or even ask where to put a db request
E) Be a little less severe if things aren't done they YOU like them.

A little humility when entering a new forum goes a long way in my book.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 47
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 10:31:53 PM   
mikmykWS

You're not acting like a bully by any stretch.

This may have been a bit of a put on anyways. Antics are familiar.

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 6/14/2015 11:32:23 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 48
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 10:34:38 PM   
stilesw

Just a lurker on this particular thread but - it is absolutely amazing. My observations, as a subscriber, are that intelligent, serious questions and requests are answered promptly and resolved as soon as is practically possible. Self-important and obviously all knowing CMANO users should have no need to ask the developers anything since they already have all the answers. I have nothing but praise for the folks who designed, wrote, maintain and enhance this simulation - and I speak from 35+ years of software engineering experience. Believe me, this individual's petulant comments will not be missed by anyone except those in need of a little comic relief!

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 49
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 10:35:08 PM   
thewood1

I'm also wondering what the refund ticket will look like...

Reason for refund: Forums members were mean and didn't like my tone.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 50
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 10:51:55 PM   
spacenavy90

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) bueno

< Message edited by spacenavy90 -- 6/15/2015 1:10:35 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 51
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 11:00:29 PM   
Vici Supreme

What a c*nt.

Post #: 52
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 11:04:50 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

Yes, please continue the circle jerk.

Also I lied, I pirated it lol.
I also sent the download link to most of the people on the Steam forums who also felt robbed blind by your outrageous and un-deserving price. $80 dollars for a database? Cmon. No wonder you only have like 100 sales on Steam.

It was a pleasure to steal profits and potential sales from you. You can ban me now, because I don't want any reason to come back to this forum. Not even to troll your pathetic group of senior citizens who have nothing better to do.

Don't care.

Mike

Post #: 53
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 11:11:11 PM   
thewood1

quote:

Yes, please continue the circle jerk.

Also I lied, I pirated it lol.
I also sent the download link to most of the people on the Steam forums who also felt robbed blind by your outrageous and un-deserving price. $80 dollars for a database? Cmon. No wonder you only have like 100 sales on Steam.

It was a pleasure to steal profits and potential sales from you. You can ban me now, because I don't want any reason to come back to this forum. Not even to troll your pathetic group of senior citizens who have nothing better to do.

Thanks for proving everything I thought right...

Post #: 54
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 11:24:55 PM   
thewood1

This guy lives a pretty dangerous life. He appears to run/own a "development" studio that builds mods for ARMA3. He is relatively prolific in social media and in the ARMA 3 community. I bet his buddies at BI studios would love to know he pirates games.

I could be wrong, that is a pretty unique name.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 55
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 11:34:18 PM   
stilesw

I knew it! Another pathetic loser who hides in a basement somewhere throwing verbal internet grenades at those who accomplish things because he/she cannot compete anywhere on his/her own. Now he/she can slide back into the Stygian morass of whiners, complainers and general losers who must "rail" (pun intended) at the real world as it passes him/her by. Just another ring around the gene pool!

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 56
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/14/2015 11:37:47 PM   
Currahee

Well, I think we have an idea for what to test the Mk.1 Railgun on...

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 57
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/15/2015 12:10:48 AM   
mikmykWS

Eh he can say and do what he wants. Nobody cares. Everybody's kook alarms went off at about the same time so no worries. hehe

Mike

(in reply to Currahee)
Post #: 58
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/15/2015 12:14:28 AM   
thewood1

You might want to lock this up...I suspect someone will be back to clean up.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 59
RE: Railgun, anyone? - 6/15/2015 12:45:04 AM   
mikmykWS

Good point. Guys we'll get the railgun done when we've got enough info.

Thanks!

Mike

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Railgun, anyone? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI