Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anyone PBEM Scen. 16 as Japs?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> Anyone PBEM Scen. 16 as Japs? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone PBEM Scen. 16 as Japs? - 2/10/2003 11:02:15 AM   
ExNavyDoc

Is anyone playing Scenario 16 PBEM taking the Japanese side? (This is the most "historical" post-Midway scenario)

If your are, I was wondering how you are fairing. I am near the end of June '42 in a game vs. my brother, and the Japs have a really tough row to hoe against a decent human opponent. (And my brother is one crafty SOB, plus he probably knows my every move in advance since we have been playing wargames vs. each other since about 1975 or so.) I've played this one several times vs. the AI, and been generally able to establish dominance in theater by early September '42. Against a human, it's a way different story.

So far, he has been able to pretty well disrupt my timetable, and I know the Japs in this scenario are really under the gun to make some gains and establish bases before the Allied might begins to tilt the game in their favor later on.

Doc
Post #: 1
- 2/11/2003 1:50:28 AM   
Yamamoto

You must be a masochist to play the Japanese in a post-Midway scenario. You have 2 good CV’s, one questionable CV (Junyo) and a few CVLs. If you put all of that together you have enough for one offensive against the US CVs or against a decent land base defended with land-based air. After that, it’s all over.

The Japanese don’t have a chance after Midway, just like in history. Why they even included scenario 16 is beyond me. You are the first one I’ve heard that is actually playing it PBEM. Good luck. You’re going to need it.

Yamamoto

(in reply to ExNavyDoc)
Post #: 2
- 2/11/2003 8:04:04 AM   
ExNavyDoc

Well, I like to see if I can do better than the historical outcome. I have (well, had) a strategy, but I was too slow off the dime. I still think it could work, if implemented properly.

On the other hand, my brother stuck his neck out by scattering parts of an Aussie brigade all over the map from the git-go. Now he has to supply them.

I have a couple of criteria, that if met, mean I will concede defeat. I'm not going to beat my head against a wall for the entire scenario, if the cause is obviously lost. I'm not telling my opponent what those criteria are, of course.

The outcome of the carrier battles is critical. If I lose all my CV's early, then it's probably pretty much game over.

(in reply to ExNavyDoc)
Post #: 3
- 2/12/2003 4:29:39 AM   
Veldor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yamamoto
[B]You must be a masochist to play the Japanese in a post-Midway scenario. You have 2 good CV’s, one questionable CV (Junyo) and a few CVLs. If you put all of that together you have enough for one offensive against the US CVs or against a decent land base defended with land-based air. After that, it’s all over.

The Japanese don’t have a chance after Midway, just like in history. Why they even included scenario 16 is beyond me. You are the first one I’ve heard that is actually playing it PBEM. Good luck. You’re going to need it.

Yamamoto [/B][/QUOTE]

Sort of like playing IRAQ in any GULF WAR II game would be?

If the victory conditions are altered, which as last I played 16 I believe they are vastly different from 17... then its still a fair game meaning as the Japanese you simply have to hold onto Truk, Rabaul and one other base(or two i dont remember) and minimize your losses to win..

So the Japanese player could "win" and playing the scenario would have value for certain "historical enthusiasts"..

But I thoroughly agree that 17 and 19 are far more entertaining for both parties..

Though again..it would be a bit like assuming the first Gulf War didn't happen in any Gulf War II game... :)

(in reply to ExNavyDoc)
Post #: 4
- 2/12/2003 9:15:40 AM   
Caltone

That is the scenario I run against the AI when I play Japan.

(in reply to ExNavyDoc)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> Anyone PBEM Scen. 16 as Japs? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI