Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video Trailer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video Trailer Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video Trailer - 5/15/2014 4:43:37 PM   
Erik Rutins

For those that are curious...

Editing this to add comprehensive release info:

Hi Everyone,

Some major news today:

Distant Worlds: Universe is the entire Distant Worlds series in one package, including the new Universe expansion which greatly improves moddability (make your own governments, research trees, resources, components, events, etc.) a new Ancient Galaxy storyline that also serves as a reference mod and performance and AI improvements.

It will release on May 23rd through our Online Store as well as, for the first time ever, through Steam. As this includes both the new Universe expansion with greatly expanded modding support and the Ancient Galaxy storyline plus all previous releases, it will give new customers and existing customers a unified installation for future support and modding and a great affordable entry point to the series.

The Steam page is now live along with a brand new Trailer Video:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/

Our own product page is here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/515/details/Distant.Worlds.-.Universe

The base price of Distant Worlds: Universe will be $59.99 Download / $74.99 Physical. This represents a significant discount over the previous series bundle. The Physical version is only available through our store and includes an updated and full color printed Distant Worlds series game manual.

For the release, it will be available at a pre-order price of $49.99 Download / $64.99 physical. This will be the pre-order price through Steam. As we don't do pre-orders through our own store, this will be our release price as well, with a post-release promotional period as with past Distant Worlds releases that allows early adopters to get the game for a lower price, after which it will revert to the permanent $59.99 / $74.99 price level.

We will also be offering existing customers a discount based on what parts of the series they own. It's a $10 discount per release, so if you own everything that's been released so far (Distant Worlds + Return of the Shakturi + Legends + Shadows) then during the post-release promotion period, your price to upgrade to Universe would be $9.99 Download or $24.99 Physical ($49.99 or $64.99 - $40 discount for four previous releases). There will be a page on our site where you can get the upgrade discount coupon. This upgrade will be available through our store only, we don't have a way of doing this through Steam. All you will need to get the upgrade coupon is the serial number for each release.

We'll be offering Steam keys to customers who upgrade and purchase through our site.

The release will be on May 23rd.

We plan for there to be one more Shadows update, but all future modding/feature/performance improvements will be based on the Universe level.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 5/21/2014 3:01:57 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 4:52:58 PM   
OverlordCW

Will we get a steam key, if we buy on the matrix store?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 4:53:20 PM   
ASHBERY76

The trailer is great.

Post #: 3
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 4:55:57 PM   
StarLab

It says 2 May as the release date?!?

Otherwise cool to see!

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to OverlordCW)
Post #: 4
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 4:56:46 PM   
Icemania

That is really terrific news! Well done Matrix!

Hopefully quite a few of us here will join the Steam Forums to help out new players. I trust you have some Steam Moderation support lined up...

Post #: 5
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 5:01:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, if you purchase/upgrade through our store we will offer a Steam key as well. We and Elliot earn the most revenue when you purchase directly through us, but we want to make DW available to the larger community and many new players as well, while offering the most flexibility to our existing community. There will be a page on our site to use your Universe serial number to retrieve a Steam key after you purchase Universe.

Yes, we'll be monitoring the Steam forums as well and we would greatly appreciate the help of our existing community to help guide new players as th take their first steps with Distant Worlds once it's available on Steam.

Saw that as well Starlab, don't know what's up with that, I assume it's a Steam glitch. We're contacting them but I can confirm the 23rd is the actual release date.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 6
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 5:02:25 PM   
FingNewGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: StarLab

It says 2 May as the release date?!?

Otherwise cool to see!

23 May is the release date.

Apologies: Erik's post in response to StarLab's question had not ben posted yet when I answered.

< Message edited by FingNewGuy -- 5/15/2014 6:59:32 PM >

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 7
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 5:02:34 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

That is really terrific news! Well done Matrix!

Hopefully quite a few of us here will join the Steam Forums to help out new players. I trust you have some Steam Moderation support lined up...

Yeah, I'll certainly post on there - unless Matrix pm's me to say, 'please don't!' ;-)

Great news all round, Erik, thank you. The 23rd is sooner than I was expecting.

Just want to join the clamour for certain additional information:

1. Will we be able to put our mods up on Steamwoks?
2. Will the people who have already bought the game via Matrix geta steam key, as long as they upgrade to Universe - I'm guessing they will, as that seems to be the case for most games, and is obviously a good move from a customer service perspective? [Edit, Erik answered before I posted, so this question is now redundant]

Osito

< Message edited by Osito -- 5/15/2014 6:04:52 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 8
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 5:05:32 PM   
ASHBERY76

Steam forums is bandit country.I try to avoid it.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 9
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 5:59:34 PM   
Upuauta

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Steam forums is bandit country.I try to avoid it.

Sometimes the cavalry has to rush in and help out. ;-)

< Message edited by UPUAUT -- 5/15/2014 7:00:00 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 10
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 6:28:45 PM   
tjhkkr

I was not planning on doing Steam myself, but the advertisement is awesome!

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Upuauta)
Post #: 11
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 6:47:05 PM   
Mad Igor

steam,huh ? i thought it's not that simple to surprise me.
even DW is eaten by this darkness of monopoly.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 12
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 6:58:10 PM   
kirk23

I really hope that to play the game in the future,that you don't need to have a steam account.If the dreaded DRM issue re-appears,then this is where my involvement with Distant Worlds ends,I won't play via steam,not now not ever period.

Make it so!

(in reply to Mad Igor)
Post #: 13
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 7:10:07 PM   
midnight_mangler

I'm happy. Great stuff. Love this game.

I'll support you guys and Elliot of course.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 14
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 7:13:15 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

You will always be able to purchase directly from us - it is in fact our preference.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to midnight_mangler)
Post #: 15
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 7:23:21 PM   
Titan32

Awesome.

Opening the game to Steam is great, can't wait to see the achievements!
Also, maybe you could think about including Workshop or Trading Cards

About the trailer, it's beautiful. But from 0:13 to 0:22, it tells me we're now able to play on two galaxies at the same time, right?

Anyway, I guess now Distant Worlds only needs multiplayer to be perfect

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 16
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 7:23:35 PM   
JiminyJickers

Excellent, can't wait for the 23rd.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 17
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 7:26:23 PM   
chrisol

It's a shame that the metacritic score shown is for the original release - things have come such a long way since then. Don't imagine it can easily be updated...

bw
Chris

Post #: 18
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 7:34:46 PM   
midnight_mangler

We'll have to give word of mouth in the steam forums.

(in reply to chrisol)
Post #: 19
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 7:52:51 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

You will always be able to purchase directly from us - it is in fact our preference.

Cheers

Pip

Mine too.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 20
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 7:54:41 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titan32

Awesome.

Opening the game to Steam is great, can't wait to see the achievements!
Also, maybe you could think about including Workshop or Trading Cards

About the trailer, it's beautiful. But from 0:13 to 0:22, it tells me we're now able to play on two galaxies at the same time, right?

Anyway, I guess now Distant Worlds only needs multiplayer to be perfect

hehe, would be nice. However I think its pointing out the Ancient Galaxy vs Current Galaxy. If you notice, the one looks 'tarnished' for lack of a better description.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Titan32)
Post #: 21
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 7:56:20 PM   
Veloxi

OOMMMGGG

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 22
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 8:37:31 PM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: kirk23

I really hope that to play the game in the future,that you don't need to have a steam account.If the dreaded DRM issue re-appears,then this is where my involvement with Distant Worlds ends,I won't play via steam,not now not ever period.

As a Tester, I can assure you that I don't use Steam, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 23
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 9:28:01 PM   
Erik Rutins

Just to be completely clear, we are not adding any DRM to Distant Worlds. It's being sold through our store as usual and it's entirely the customer's choice where they want to purchase it. As with our other games that have gone to Steam, we will always sell them on our store as well and our policies regarding DRM and customer satisfaction have not changed.

If you don't like Steam, nothing changes for you. If you do like Steam, it is now available there for you.

The two galaxies - well, one is the galaxy you've been playing in, the other is the nearby galaxy where you-know-who came from.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 5/15/2014 10:28:28 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 24
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 9:29:11 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: chrisol
It's a shame that the metacritic score shown is for the original release - things have come such a long way since then. Don't imagine it can easily be updated...

Agreed, I don't know if we can change that, but we will try.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to chrisol)
Post #: 25
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 10:40:53 PM   
Hawawaa

I knew this was coming. After last expansion DW gets the steam treatment. Still will be buying directly from you though. Just realized I'll be on vacation so I might not be able to enjoy Universe until Monday night. Wait we gets steam key from buying directly from you?! Well that's great thanks!

Also I'll be making my posts on other forums about this coming release. Hopefully you guys break da bank on release.

< Message edited by Hawawaa -- 5/15/2014 11:45:26 PM >

Post #: 26
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 10:44:26 PM   
Flinkebeinchen

A dream came true. But why do you release it when I am on vacation in sweden? Damn :)

< Message edited by Flinkebeinchen -- 5/15/2014 11:46:12 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 11:20:43 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Our own product page is here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...lds.-.Universe
Regards,

- Erik

I tried this link, and it did not like it; is it just me?

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Post #: 28
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 11:29:24 PM   
Deomrve

I tried the the store link as well and gat an error.

See below:

HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found
The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Detailed Error Information
Module IIS Web Core
Notification MapRequestHandler
Handler StaticFile
Error Code 0x80070002
Requested URL http://www.matrixgames.com:80/products/...lds.-.Universe
Physical Path E:\inetpub\wwwroot_matrix\MatrixGames_multilingual\products\...lds.-.Universe
Logon Method Anonymous
Logon User Anonymous
Most likely causes:

The directory or file specified does not exist on the Web server.
The URL contains a typographical error.
A custom filter or module, such as URLScan, restricts access to the file.

Things you can try:

Create the content on the Web server.
Review the browser URL.
Create a tracing rule to track failed requests for this HTTP status code and see which module is calling SetStatus. For more information about creating a tracing rule for failed requests, click here.

Links and More Information This error means that the file or directory does not exist on the server. Create the file or directory and try the request again.

View more information »

Edit: The link at Space Game Junkie works, odd.

Edit2: My mistake the link at Space Game Junkie only takes you to the product page with no way to purchase.

< Message edited by Deomrve -- 5/16/2014 12:34:08 AM >

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 29
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/15/2014 11:48:45 PM   
Erik Rutins

Sorry, I broke the link while copying and pasting. I just updated the first post and here's the correct link:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/515/details/Distant.Worlds.-.Universe

quote:

Edit2: My mistake the link at Space Game Junkie only takes you to the product page with no way to purchase.

That's because it releases on May 23rd.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Deomrve)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video Trailer Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI