Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video Trailer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video Trailer Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/17/2014 6:41:59 AM   
drillerman

Come on you youtubers get posting the DW videos up on steam!!!!!!!

Huh?

(in reply to Athelas2211)
Post #: 61
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/18/2014 6:54:33 PM   
whiran

quote:

ORIGINAL: WiZz

quote:

The base price of Distant Worlds: Universe will be $59.99 Download / $69.99 Physical. This represents a significant discount over the previous series bundle. The Physical version is only available through our store and includes an updated and full color printed Distant Worlds series game manual.

For the release, it will be available at a pre-order price of $49.99 Download / $59.99 physical. This will be the pre-order price through Steam. As we don't do pre-orders through our own store, this will be our release price as well, with a post-release promotional period as with past Distant Worlds releases that allows early adopters to get the game for a lower price, after which it will revert to the permanent $59.99 / $69.99 price level.

I'm predicting a lot of complaining about very high price. However, this is not a big problem for mature DW-fans (thanks to coupons through Matrix store), like us, but still... 60 bucks (price of AAA-title! ) for old game series? Steamusers and new future customers will not understand this.

I'm predicting that the price won't be the cause of a significant amount of complaining. There will probably be a couple of people who complain but, to be fair, some people will complain about -any- price.

$60 USD for this game seems to be a very reasonable and well chosen price point.
$50 USD if the game is pre-purchased (assuming it becomes available to do so.)

If the game ever goes on sale at the 50% point, that'll make it $30 USD.
If it goes on sale at the 75% mark it'll be $15 USD.

I doubt it'll take long before people point out that the previous price tag for Distant Worlds (with all expansions) was ~$100 USD.

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 62
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/18/2014 6:57:58 PM   
Deathball

Will the discount require us to enter every serial? I'm wondering because I don't think I have all my serials at hand anymore and I'm not looking forward to digging through my pile of more or less important notes, that thing has grown to a considerable size over the years.

(in reply to whiran)
Post #: 63
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/18/2014 7:19:10 PM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deathball

Will the discount require us to enter every serial? I'm wondering because I don't think I have all my serials at hand anymore and I'm not looking forward to digging through my pile of more or less important notes, that thing has grown to a considerable size over the years.

Since each expansion requires the one before it, I would think that the last version serial number is the only one you would need - it can be found in the Distant Worlds directory in a text file.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

(in reply to Deathball)
Post #: 64
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/18/2014 7:22:43 PM   
Osito

I would think you'd be ok provided you registered each version of the game. When I log in to the Matrix 'members club', it knows which games I've bought and the serial numbers. If you haven't registered them, it's hard to believe you won't need to supply the serial numbers.

(in reply to Deathball)
Post #: 65
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/19/2014 8:09:21 AM   
Ranbir

Holy crap that discount price....YES!

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 66
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/19/2014 8:23:34 AM   
Tree Dog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Algon

2. As long as there is no DRM on Universe (Erik confirmed there isn't) you should be able to run the game from the executable itself after the game is installed (which will require steam for the steam version - no way around that)

That's not how it works. Since DW:U doesn't use the Steam DRM, you can just copy/paste your whole DW:U folder on a computer without Steam and run it there right away (although I'm guessing DW:U would still ask for your cd key on first launch?). I've done it plenty times with a bunch of games that don't use the Steam DRM, always worked fine.
If it uses the workshop or Steam for multiplayer, it should let you launch the game and play, but it'd complain it can't connect to Steam when you try to use these features.

quote:

ORIGINAL: whiran

If the game ever goes on sale at the 50% point, that'll make it $30 USD.
If it goes on sale at the 75% mark it'll be $15 USD.

Will it ever go on sale on Steam, though? Is this up to Matrix or Steam?
I'm sure many won't buy it straight away and wait for a sale.

< Message edited by Tree Dog -- 5/19/2014 10:31:37 AM >

(in reply to Algon)
Post #: 67
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/19/2014 11:22:30 AM   
Darkspire

Well I gave it a go

Tried to set up a Steam account, waited for two days for an email for verification, nothing. Have a look in the help section for not receiving it and I have to set up another account for support???

It is nearly as bad as waiting for a simple message of thanks for the work that I did for a veteran member of this forum

If they want my help they know where to find me

Darkspire

< Message edited by Darkspire -- 5/19/2014 1:08:55 PM >

(in reply to Tree Dog)
Post #: 68
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/19/2014 12:34:05 PM   
Icemania

Well it's not like 30 million other people figured it out! Oh wait ...

Anyway jokes aside Darkspire I hope you persist because the Steam Forum could use your commentary along with other veterans.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 69
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/19/2014 1:15:10 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

Well it's not like 30 million other people figured it out! Oh wait ...

Anyway jokes aside Darkspire I hope you persist because the Steam Forum could use your commentary along with other veterans.

I can only presume that they are going to say that it is because that I do not have the client installed, no way am I going down that path. I have set an account up, jumped through all the hoops but I am not going to set up another account up just to get help on the first account I set up that there auto bots seem to have got cross wires on. Besides, have you seen that forum?? It is more akin to a signing book than a forum. I will keep an eye on the emails and see if it turns up, if not, well no loss, I will help here if I can as and when the questions pop up.

Darkspire

< Message edited by Darkspire -- 5/19/2014 4:37:32 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 70
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/19/2014 1:29:20 PM   
randal7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

The two galaxies - well, one is the galaxy you've been playing in, the other is the nearby galaxy where you-know-who came from.

Regards,

- Erik

No follow up on this? Two galaxies in one game, or start in the other galaxy, or is it an endgame thing like in MOO2? Or is that a secret for now?

Post #: 71
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/19/2014 2:05:30 PM   
Erik Rutins

Two galaxies on one map would effectively be like two large separated clusters. What was shown in the video was for storyline purposes.

SPOILER ALERT

The Shakturi invaded the main Distant Worlds galaxy from a different nearby galaxy. That initial view in the video shows the galaxy the Shakturi came from adjacent to "our" galaxy. The Shakturi invasion comes from the direction of their galaxy.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to randal7)
Post #: 72
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/19/2014 5:00:31 PM   
tbrass

So Eric,

You just confirmed that the max size is now 2800 stars divided into two clusters that have limited means to connect to each other.
Right? You know, so we can repulse the invasion of the Shakturi and follow it back to the source?

And the warp effects show in the video are in the game as well?

Awesome! ;-)

Post #: 73
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/19/2014 5:09:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

Er, no I did not say that. I said that you could in theory do something like it that way but the two galaxies were shown in the video for storyline reasons.

The warp effects are indeed in the game - they always have been though, but perhaps you haven't noticed them animating before? We used the in-game art and effects for the video creation.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to tbrass)
Post #: 74
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/19/2014 8:57:18 PM   
ASHBERY76

The unsolved mystery is why do the Shakturi use Machine ship style planet destroyers.

Post #: 75
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/20/2014 12:58:05 AM   
tbrass

I haven't noticed the warping effects before. Thanks for clarifying that it is in-game art -- I'll look more closely in mid-late game next time.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 76
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/20/2014 12:31:50 PM   
drillerman

Hi Erik,
I have never noticed the warp effects look as good as that and I've been playing the game since it came out.
A quick question regarding the graphics on the Universe trailer. To me they seem a mixture of in game and not in game graphics as it zooms into the solar system. the sun graphics do not look like in game graphics unless they have been redone. The overlapping of the solar systems looks misleading and gives the impression that the game universe is in 3D. It also maybe worth stating on the trailer that it is a mixture of in game and not in game graphics, so as not to disappoint

< Message edited by drillerman -- 5/20/2014 3:06:30 PM >

Huh?

(in reply to tbrass)
Post #: 77
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/20/2014 2:00:37 PM   
Atrocities

Will current owners get a coupon or something if they want to buy DWU on Steam? Seems like it would be a good idea to support those who have already bought the game and all its expansions. I know I would buy DWU on Steam if I were issued a discount coupon. I have already bought DW and the expansions but would also buy DWU on Steam or direct download if given a discount for already having the game and its expansions.

quote:

We will also be offering existing customers a discount based on what parts of the series they own. It's a $10 discount per release, so if you own everything that's been released so far (Distant Worlds + Return of the Shakturi + Legends + Shadows) then during the post-release promotion period, your price to upgrade to Universe would be $9.99 Download or $19.99 Physical

OUTSTANDING.

< Message edited by Atrocities -- 5/20/2014 3:04:58 PM >

Post #: 78
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/20/2014 2:46:26 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

Two galaxies on one map would effectively be like two large separated clusters. What was shown in the video was for storyline purposes.

SPOILER ALERT

The Shakturi invaded the main Distant Worlds galaxy from a different nearby galaxy. That initial view in the video shows the galaxy the Shakturi came from adjacent to "our" galaxy. The Shakturi invasion comes from the direction of their galaxy.
Regards,
- Erik

In order to play the early events, is there a need to play two galaxies?
It is not exactly a huge deal... but I do love the HUGE feel of the galaxy?

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Post #: 79
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/21/2014 10:52:48 AM   
Icemania

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: WiZz
I'm predicting a lot of complaining about very high price. However, this is not a big problem for mature DW-fans (thanks to coupons through Matrix store), like us, but still... 60 bucks (price of AAA-title! ) for old game series? Steamusers and new future customers will not understand this.

We'll see - I think it's impossible to make everyone happy, but I think that what we're offering here for a release that is brand new albeit built on many previous releases is a very fair price for the gameplay and content. It also represents a substantial discount over the previous full series price, before Universe was even finished.

Regards,

- Erik

While I agree your pricing is reasonable for what you are offering you may want to check the Steam Forums. I was expecting you would have a little more time but the unconstructive criticisms have already begun.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 5/21/2014 12:44:32 PM >

Post #: 80
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/21/2014 1:50:22 PM   
whiran

quote:

While I agree your pricing is reasonable for what you are offering you may want to check the Steam Forums. I was expecting you would have a little more time but the unconstructive criticisms have already begun.

To be fair it was two people (primarily one) who were talking about the price point. That's not really significant :)

Unfortunately, Slitherine decided to get in and try to debate it. That rarely (never) works and just kept the discussion going.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 81
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/21/2014 2:02:01 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hello everyone,

I made a mistake in my earlier post. I've updated that post and am adding this one to call attention to it. I had the physical pricing a bit wrong - it was correct in our plan but for some reason I made a mistake when posting it here. For our color printed manuals (the "collector's edition" level of physical boxed copies) the price difference from download was changed some time ago to be $14.99 rather than $9.99 to cover the additional costs. Therefore the base download price has not changed and is correct, but the physical price will be $64.99 (instead of $59.99) during the discount period and $74.99 (instead of $69.99) thereafter.

I'm sorry for the mistake and hope it does not have a significant impact on anyone's plans.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to whiran)
Post #: 82
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/21/2014 2:05:06 PM   
Cauldyth

Bah, stop talking and take my money already! *waves a fistfull of it around*

Seriously though, I suspect the people going for the hardcopy will be us DW fanatics, and an extra $5 won't discourage me.

Post #: 83
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/21/2014 2:12:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

Regarding the pre-orders, Steam was supposed to set those live last week. Obviously that didn't happen and when the mistake was discussed this week they decided it was best given that the release is so close to hold off and have the discount period start with the release and continue afterwards.

We are somewhat at Steam's mercy on this, but we plan to run the discount after release for two weeks if we can (they only guarantee one, but we've requested two).

There will be an announcement tomorrow that provides the details on how and where to get the upgrade coupons.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 84
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/21/2014 2:39:36 PM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: whiran

quote:

To be fair it was two people (primarily one) who were talking about the price point. That's not really significant :)

Unfortunately, Slitherine decided to get in and try to debate it. That rarely (never) works and just kept the discussion going.

That does not represent the full situation at all, there is no excuse for the use of inappropriate language that was used in response.

The Moderators stepped in very quickly which was good to see in order to set acceptable behaviour early.

(in reply to whiran)
Post #: 85
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/21/2014 2:50:24 PM   
Atrocities

I really don't trust STEAM myself. I have been screwed on purchases before. You buy a game and then six months later it is no longer accessible. Tribes Ascend for example. Or you buy a game at regular prices, and a few days later THAT VERY same game goes on sale for 10% of its normal prices and they do not price match. It's as though they are rubbing it in your face. And STEAM support for any issue is abysmal.

That being said, it is a great service to have all of ones games in one local that can be moved from system to system and for the most part, the games stay current.

The greenlite - per-release items though... STAY AWAY. They never seem to ever finish these and you are just wasting money on them. Stardrive, Pegasuses, Star Lord (renamed to something else now) Endless space, Horizon, etc. They are beta versions at best and are all now pretty much in the bin heap and no longer being developed.

That is why it was so refreshing to read that DWU was coming to STEAM. Finally a game with a proven track record of on going support and a firm dedicated fan base. THANK YOU!!! Thank you!

Post #: 86
RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video T... - 5/26/2014 5:10:15 PM   
Athelas2211

I have played and am playing stardrive and endless space and both games are finished products and modded to some extent.
I also bought some on greenlight and are quire good.

maybe your tastes are different, but don't venture anymore in that area.

abut game that is disabled on steam, you should try contacting them.

my demigods didnt work, and I have got support on the mail and everything is fine now.
so, good luck...

(in reply to Atrocities)
Post #: 87
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Steam Page and New Video Trailer Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI