Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Game randomly scrolls the map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> RE: Game randomly scrolls the map Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/10/2014 2:08:40 AM   
Retreat1970

Hi Erik,

1. Smallest I've run was 700. In any game it all seems to center around dw.exe hitting 1.2gb memory usage in task manager. Smaller games takes longer for this to happen but it eventually happens (Vista x64).

2. GTX 660Ti 2GB

3. Did not know I could do this. I will try ASAP.

Thanks

Edit: Different behavior in windowed mode. When 1.2GB dw.exe is reached the game does not auto scroll to the top left. However when using the mouse wheel to zoom in it wants to zoom in to the top left no matter where your mouse curser is located. Zooming out is normal. Holding the right mouse button down and moving the map does not work when this is happening. Also when clicking on screen buttons lines appear like you are drawing out a selection box (hold left mouse button and drag mouse, you know). The top left corner of said selection box is centered on the button you are clicking.

Hope that helps somewhat.

< Message edited by Retreat1970 -- 6/10/2014 5:16:41 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 31
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/10/2014 4:12:16 AM   
7thcircle

1. Haven't tried.
2. ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB
3. It slightly changed how the cursor was broken. When the error occurred in windowed mode, it did not scroll, however zooming in acts like the cursor is in the top left corner and zooms in on that location.

(Edited because what I first wrote wasn't correct) Everything else about the cursor was the same as full screen. Clicking on the main view registers as clicking in the top left corner. Menus work correctly. I can click on menus and icons such as the navigation tool, selection panel, action buttons, summary screen, and any other parts of the interface that aren't part of the main view with no issues. When I click on a planet or ship, zoom in, or right click to give orders it acts like the cursor is on the top left corner instead of where it appears.

I'm new to the thread, but I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Vista64, scrolls to the top-left when memory usage is high, and saving the game fixes it for a while but eventually I have to restart it.

Thanks!

< Message edited by 7thcircle -- 6/10/2014 8:38:46 AM >

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 32
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/10/2014 5:20:55 PM   
Beastro

quote:

1. If you are running the minimum size galaxy, does this issue ever happen to you?
2. What kind of video card do you have and how much memory does it have?
3. If you edit the startup.ini to run DW in windowed mode, does this issue still happen?

1: Haven't tried.
2. Radeon 7900 3gb
3: Yes. Tt takes longer it seems, took an hour or so to occur this time and it only scrolled straight to the left, but it's only happened once to me since I got back into the game after sitting back and waiting for a fix, I'll play more and edit in my developments, if any.

Edit: Happened again. Like what others described above with the scroll wheel zooming into the upper left corner and no arrow scrolling, but I can't click and drag to box ships nor click on anything specific be it a ship on the screen or a tech in the research window.

Sigh, was hoping I could work around around the simple zoom bug but the lack of click keeps the game unplayable when this hits.

Edit edit: Seems to be happening just as frequently as before now with as little as 10 minutes or so between spaz outs...

< Message edited by Beastro -- 6/10/2014 7:05:16 PM >

Post #: 33
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/10/2014 6:31:29 PM   
Retreat1970

Beastro - Saving the game and playing seems to drop dw.exe mem usage only by 50 - 100mb or so. That's why you hit 1.2gb mem usage within 10 minutes and the scroll happens. A complete restart of the game will load in your save game at a 700-800mb dw.exe usage and you will be able to play alot longer. Not the ideal solution, but the devs have this on their radar.

(in reply to Beastro)
Post #: 34
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/10/2014 8:05:49 PM   
Kilravock

I might as well join in on this. I have been experiencing this same bug since the Legends expansion, but it didn't become game breaking until Shadows which caused me to shelve the game out of frustration. I was not going to buy the new expansion, but the discounts and the Steam key availability changed my mind.

I have not tried the new patch or played a full game with the new expansion, but the experiences of Retreat1970 is the same as mine with Shadows. I play games on max map and star density sizes so the bug always showed up mid game when the empires are expanding and fighting wars. Saving the game would fix it for awhile. Reloading the game also worked, but after two or three times of this I had to restart the game.

All drivers are current. Vista 64 bit, 8 GB RAM, ATI video card (2GB i think), Intel 3.2 dual core chip. Also I have tried three different keyboards and mice which had no effect.

I will try and answer those questions when I have the time. Do you need any save game files?

Post #: 35
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/10/2014 9:35:19 PM   
Retreat1970

This is definately a Vista x64 issue. If all the XP, 7, and 8 users had this problem the forums would implode. The plus side is that Universe is so much more optimized than Shadows. Game restarts aren't painfully slow anymore, and the memory usage improvements the Devs did are wonderful. If it wasn't for those two things the game would be shelved. I have faith and patience. Until a fix I have to restart a game every so often. Could be worse...

(in reply to Kilravock)
Post #: 36
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/10/2014 10:04:16 PM   
Beastro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

This is definately a Vista x64 issue. If all the XP, 7, and 8 users had this problem the forums would implode. The plus side is that Universe is so much more optimized than Shadows. Game restarts aren't painfully slow anymore, and the memory usage improvements the Devs did are wonderful. If it wasn't for those two things the game would be shelved. I have faith and patience. Until a fix I have to restart a game every so often. Could be worse...

It makes learning the game as a newbie very hard and frustrating as it keeps interrupting you're train of though while you're busy enough as it is processing everything new going on.

< Message edited by Beastro -- 6/10/2014 11:05:22 PM >

Post #: 37
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/11/2014 3:53:31 AM   
Kilravock

OK, I have an update. I just tried playing a pirate game with no mods and it happen. This game was a max game, 1400 stars, 15x15 map, 20 empires, and few pirates. Year 7 and one hour in it happened while I was attacking a home world. Saved the game and it was fine again. This was the quickest that this bug has happen to me, but I was on 4x speed the whole time.

For your questions.

1. I have not tried it with a smaller map.
2. ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1 GB (Looks like my rig is the oldest one reporting this bug but it still runs modern games fine)
3. It happens in both modes.

(in reply to Beastro)
Post #: 38
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/11/2014 7:12:09 PM   
Croder

Hi there,

Just purchased this game and I'm also encountering this issue. Hitting it shortly into my first Introductory Game.

Running Vista x64, Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti.

(in reply to Kilravock)
Post #: 39
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/11/2014 7:36:37 PM   
Erik Rutins

We are still researching this and believe it to likely be specific to some differences in how Vista 64-bit handles memory. However, to provide us with some more information, a few more questions:

1. What kind (brand and model) of mouse and keyboard do you all have?
2. If you set the autosave to 10 minute intervals in the options, does that reduce the frequency of this issue, especially when playing in smaller galaxies?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Croder)
Post #: 40
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/11/2014 11:42:48 PM   
Chocoma

Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech G5 Mouse

I've noticed that smaller universes take longer for the bug to begin. I can try the autosave thing, but it'll only delay the time until the bug occurs. Eventually games get so big that within seconds of loading a game that the bug begins.

Thanks,

Post #: 41
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/11/2014 11:47:38 PM   
Retreat1970

G15, G500.

I'll test the 10 min autosave on a 400star tonight.

Thanks

(in reply to Chocoma)
Post #: 42
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/12/2014 12:31:13 AM   
Croder

Razr Deathadder RZ01-0015
Razr Arctosa RZ03-0026

No idea if it's useful info but for me it always seems to bug out just after an autosave.

Will experiment with the 10 minute autosave.

Post #: 43
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/12/2014 3:46:07 AM   
Kilravock

I have used:

Mice
Logitech MX510
Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000
Logitech Performance MX

Keyboards
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000
Logitech K800

I tired the 10 minute auto save with the same settings that I had for the last game. It lasted a little longer (almost 2 hours, game year 20) but it still happened. A manual save stopped it, but I ended my session after that. Memory usage was around 1.1 mb before I exited the game.

(in reply to Croder)
Post #: 44
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/12/2014 10:57:57 AM   
Retreat1970

Same for me. Game lasted longer. Seems each time the game gaves it shaves a little off the memory usage, but there is still a slow creep to 1.2gb and then it scrolls.

(in reply to Kilravock)
Post #: 45
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/12/2014 7:27:22 PM   
Erik Rutins

Please give the new 1.9.5.3 Beta a try and let us know if it helps. We think we've fixed the issue, but we need your conformation to be sure.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3634251

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 46
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/12/2014 11:40:46 PM   
Retreat1970

BUG FIXES
- altered Windows API used for checking mouse location to fix screen scrolling to top-left (thus avoiding bug in Windows Vista 64-bit)

Me thinks this is fixed I'll play more today to verify, but I have broken the 1.2GB barrier without a scroll multiple times. Thank you so much (if it holds )

Edit: 1.3GB and no bug so far (never got this high before ever)

Edit#2: Still haven't seen it but need others to verify.

< Message edited by Retreat1970 -- 6/13/2014 5:13:13 AM >

Post #: 47
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/13/2014 1:29:08 PM   
Croder

Looks good to me, had a six hour session last night/this morning (not because I'm horribly addicted or anything... just to help out the devs....) with no problems.

Now must sleep.

Post #: 48
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/13/2014 6:07:07 PM   
Kilravock

The beta patch seems to fix it for me too. 2-1/2 hours at max settings and I have no problems. Memory was staying at 1 MB for the entire time.

(in reply to Croder)
Post #: 49
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/14/2014 7:24:53 AM   
7thcircle

I played for about 6 hours and the scrolling issue was fixed. Thanks for the quick fix! I did notice something else, though.

In the trading screen, when I clicked on items to trade they would not register as being selected and would not move to the bottom trade windows. If I saved the game (even without closing the trade screen or doing anything else), it fixed the issue, and like the scrolling bug this only happened when I'd been playing for a while and the memory usage was high. It happened 3 times that I noticed today and saving fixed it each time.

I don't know if this was happening before because I didn't try to play the game much while it was scrolling. This happening to anyone else?

Post #: 50
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/14/2014 7:02:04 PM   
Beastro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

We are still researching this and believe it to likely be specific to some differences in how Vista 64-bit handles memory. However, to provide us with some more information, a few more questions:

1. What kind (brand and model) of mouse and keyboard do you all have?
2. If you set the autosave to 10 minute intervals in the options, does that reduce the frequency of this issue, especially when playing in smaller galaxies?

Regards,

- Erik

Mouse: Logitech MX1000
Keyboard: G15

I've always had autosave put to 10minutes, so I don't know if it helps.

Post #: 51
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/17/2014 2:58:48 PM   
infiniteboat

OP here. I have to say I'm astounded. I find it completely unreasonable that the developers actually have an attempt at a patch for the issue in less than a month.

I didn't uninstall the game from steam but I did stop playing it shortly after posting this thread out of sheer frustration needing to restart the game as soon as I got a good rhythm going, but I'm going to start playing it again. If I hit the issue I'll post back but if you don't hear from me assume its fixed on my end.

You guys have definitely won a lifelong customer here, even if the isn't fixed yet (seems like it is no activity on this thread for 3 days). As the goons over at paradox interactive will explain I buy a LOT of strategy games from companies that I like. Bravo.

(in reply to Beastro)
Post #: 52
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/18/2014 4:25:49 AM   
Magnum9

Legitimate LOL at previous post.

For the record I too am IMMENSELY pleased with you guys. You're doing a fantastic job of reminding everyone why small teams of passionate developers can be so amazing.

My game is running flawlessly from a technical standpoint at this time. Watching you run around smashing game mechanic bugs and balance issues is great.

I'm really happy with this situation, especially after the disasters that were Total War Rome II (which took months of patching to become "Playable) and Xcom Enemy Within (Which to this day is broken on xbox and the developers have officially told us thanks for the money. No more patches. Go pound sand)

I look forward to the continued improvements to universe and hope you gain enough attention to collect the resources which will enable you to make Distant Worlds II everything you hope it will be.

(in reply to infiniteboat)
Post #: 53
RE: Game randomly scrolls the map - 6/19/2014 4:10:09 AM   
Beastro

Just got time to play it and it's working perfectly, thanks so much for fixing this.

(in reply to Magnum9)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> RE: Game randomly scrolls the map Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI