Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended TechTree) [WIP]

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended TechTree) [WIP] Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/13/2014 5:19:00 PM   
Unforeseen

I'm going to throw this up as a double post in case you respond to my previous post on page 5 while i'm typing...

And this is about the font situation. Had you considered that maybe they just don't have a way to make the font optional right now? Other than releasing multiple patches which would be a pain in the ass for the devs. There were players who couldn't see the font that was in the game from what I understand. That is the priority, making sure EVERYONE can read the text in game. It's not an insult, it's a fact.

Edit: Your literally protesting against a development decision that HAD to be done. It's like standing outside of a home trying to prevent firefighters from entering said home with shoes on while it's on fire.

< Message edited by Unforeseen -- 7/13/2014 6:25:17 PM >

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 151
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/13/2014 5:37:31 PM   
Locarnus

If I rent an appartement, I do not own it, yet the landlord cant just do anything he wants to do.

I dont really care if they make it an ingame option. But they changed some files so that the font is bigger. For all I care, they can just provide those files in 2 versions, or three. And then in the config txt you can choose.

After all, I provided this mod in 2 versions as well.

It is not an either small font or large fonts.
This is a software product, not hardware.

The font issue was relevant 4 years ago. 4 iterations of the game ago.
Instead of adressing it in a suitable manner, content addons were sold for 4 years.

Now I refuse to be the one who is screwed over, when no one has to be screwed over at all.
It is a software product! Just provide 2 versions.

Have you tried pressing ctrl++ a few times in your browser and then not reverting for a week after paying for something? How does it feel?
And then someone comes around and tells you, well, screw you, your interests are not our priority, we had customers complaining on steam forums which might affect our sales negatively...

That is something I expect from EA, and I do not mod or otherwise engage in EA games communities for that reason.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 152
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/13/2014 5:48:20 PM   
Unforeseen

The devs are not accessing your copy and making modifications directly to it, they are releasing updates that you are voluntarily choosing to accept...

I'm pretty certain though I can't speak for them...that what you are asking for will never happen. They are not going to reverse the font changes and make the game unplayable for many of their customers to appease one modder's frustrations. They MAY in the future add a way to toggle between fonts if it's even possible. I strongly doubt they will release an optional version. But again I don't speak for them so who knows.

What I do know is that your not going to keep the community from making similar mods to yours. It's a pretty big area that a lot of people agree needs some work and your mod was a good model to base that work off of. If you don't finish the project someone else will with their own tech mod. But as you can see most of the community would FAR prefer you to do it.

And I get what your saying about EA. They suck, and every game I play by them the changes are forced on you. You just simply don't have a choice. But in this you do, you can choose not to download the updates.

< Message edited by Unforeseen -- 7/13/2014 6:58:49 PM >

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 153
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/13/2014 6:30:35 PM   
Locarnus

They included game fixes and the font change in the same update, thus with the fixes the update is part of maintenance and I have the same right to it as everyone else, but without the font changes...

I m certainly not asking to revert the fonts to the old way for everyone.
I demand that they put me in a position where I can reestablish the old font sizes for my copy of the game, while keeping the game fixes and updates.

I dont intend to keep the community from making their own mods. But as with the StarTrek mod, using the stuff I worked so hard for is not ok.

I strike for a reason.
Just set your browsers font sizes 2 or 3 levels up and after a week, tell me you are fine with it...

< Message edited by Locarnus -- 7/13/2014 7:31:25 PM >

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 154
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/13/2014 6:37:24 PM   
Unforeseen

I haven't even looked at the Star Trek mod, what's wrong with it anyways?

[The font changes in DW aren't really all that bad, barely noticed. Not like increase size in browser)

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 155
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/13/2014 7:06:54 PM   
PsyKoSnake

For me it was like this : A little smaller actually asdfasdf and now it's like this asdfasdf. (Now i can see something.)

For you Locarnus does it was like this: asdasd and now its like this? asdasda or bigger.

If so, I understand it can cause a problem.

But if its like this: asdasdasd or this asdfasdfasdf it dont cause any problem. It's a little bigger, but at least you see something. I would be able to play with these font and i would not need my glasses.

Almost all gaming monitor are 1920x1080 so the game need to be optimized for that. Not a 480p square monitor:P

< Message edited by PsyKoSnake -- 7/13/2014 8:10:15 PM >

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 156
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/13/2014 8:27:44 PM   
ParagonExile

No offense Locarnus, but your complaints are pretty absurd. It's mind-boggling that you would care this much, especially when you consider that the changes could be undone in five minutes by anyone who cared to. But instead of working together with other modders (preferably Haree) to ensure compatibility and improving your mod, you're just leaving the work behind, stopping anyone else from using it and "demanding" something from the dev/s who very explicitly answered your requests before.

Also; get a better monitor. I just pressed "Ctrl + +" as you suggested, multiple times, and I still don't care. Ermagherd, the text looks slightly larger! I'm sure I'll stop playing one of my favorite games because of this!

< Message edited by ParagonExile -- 7/13/2014 9:31:05 PM >

(in reply to PsyKoSnake)
Post #: 157
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/14/2014 11:52:21 AM   
Icemania

Let's all calm down a bit.

I'm going to publicly reiterate my PM to Locarnus offering help to optimise the Research Build Orders for this mod, if he decides to finish this mod and update it post release with community feedback.

(in reply to ParagonExile)
Post #: 158
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/14/2014 2:06:52 PM   
Locarnus

If my landlord paints my walls black during maintenance,
I would question my mental health if I would continue to put an effort into activities which support the landlord...

And to those saying "you still have walls (just not the color you had before)/ you have no right to complain/ your walls need to be black so that other peoples walls could be black", well, thats just not how I see it.
Thats the diplomatic comment.

If it doesnt bother you, others who are bothered have no right to complain or their complaints are absurd. What a great perspective.

I wonder if you made those comments to people who complained about the small fonts, having 4k monitors themselves. Or telling them that their complaints are absurd and that they should buy a new low res monitor.

Or imagine the other way around, they started with a font size for 2K full HD monitors, and then they changed it to fit for 1K HD ready monitors. Would the people with 2K monitors have a right to complain?

They could still play the game, just sit 20cm away from the monitor for comfortable reading...

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 159
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/14/2014 3:03:01 PM   
bugbear777

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 160
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/14/2014 3:33:19 PM   
spinkick

never mind :)

< Message edited by spinkick -- 7/14/2014 6:17:30 PM >

(in reply to bugbear777)
Post #: 161
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/15/2014 8:32:18 AM   
ParagonExile

quote:

ORIGINAL: Locarnus

If my landlord paints my walls black during maintenance,
I would question my mental health if I would continue to put an effort into activities which support the landlord...

Not the same scenario.

Imagine fifty people live in one room, and all but one or two of them hate the color. The landlord or whoever repaints it a new color which most of them really like, aside from the aforementioned stragglers. Did the landlord do the right thing?

Another example; a bride is getting married and needs it to not rain, and a farmer a mile away needs it to rain. No matter what happens, one person will be outta' luck.

quote:

If it doesnt bother you, others who are bothered have no right to complain or their complaints are absurd. What a great perspective.

Complain away until you go blue in the face by all means, I hope you get what you want. But don't go out of your way to sabotage both your development of a community favorite and potential development by other people "Because it's mine".

quote:

I wonder if you made those comments to people who complained about the small fonts, having 4k monitors themselves. Or telling them that their complaints are absurd and that they should buy a new low res monitor.

I've honestly never seen anyone else complain about this before, and to be quite frank I didn't even notice the difference :P

quote:

Or imagine the other way around, they started with a font size for 2K full HD monitors, and then they changed it to fit for 1K HD ready monitors. Would the people with 2K monitors have a right to complain?

Request there be accommodations made on their behalf? Yes.

Whine and be a baby? No.

quote:

They could still play the game, just sit 20cm away from the monitor for comfortable reading...

I use a 4K 50" TV as my monitor, and both sizes were/are fine. It's really not a huge deal man.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 162
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/15/2014 12:39:07 PM   
Unforeseen

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Unforeseen -- 7/15/2014 1:39:17 PM >

(in reply to ParagonExile)
Post #: 163
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/15/2014 1:48:05 PM   
Kizucha

Guy's be friendly and let it be. He dont want to work on the mod anymore. Its not be better if you all trie to "outcomment" him. Let us hope he gives other modder the permission to use his work, if so it's wonderful, if not maybe an other modder start a similiar mod from ground on. So it is the best to end this here.

Thank you Locarnus for your work.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 164
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/15/2014 5:23:01 PM   
Efaferal

Locarnus,

Too bad to see you quit. The Tech tree is much improved with your mod. I hate to see that a minor visual difference is causing such a problem. Adjusting/choosing fonts is a rather easy setup task, although quite tedious in some instances. Perhaps if you show some screen shots of the problems that occur with the new fonts it would give a good basis for how to proceed?

If you choose not to proceed, I just want to say 'Thanks!' for all your hard work. The fact is that I was only mildly interested in Distant Worlds until I started working with your mod, but your work has definitely inspired me and moved DW onto my Classic Games list.

-E

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 165
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/15/2014 10:20:20 PM   
spinkick

At the very least, could someone else carry the flag for this mod?

(in reply to Efaferal)
Post #: 166
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/16/2014 12:00:06 AM   
Testmann

I'd love this mod being compatible with the latest patch. Because the new fonts are superb, and your mod is superb aswell, and the game in generall is superb and I want to enjoy it at it's maximum potential.

(in reply to spinkick)
Post #: 167
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/16/2014 3:01:37 PM   
Unforeseen

Somebody is just going to have to start this over..

(in reply to Testmann)
Post #: 168
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/16/2014 5:32:01 PM   
Chestburster

Already working on my own version of an extended tech tree, based on the AI improvement mod. Just give me a week or two since i am currently moving into a new house.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 169
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/17/2014 2:50:48 PM   
scotten_usa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chestburster

Already working on my own version of an extended tech tree, based on the AI improvement mod. Just give me a week or two since i am currently moving into a new house.

I think you need to figure out your priorities! The Universe is waiting for you, and your new house is taking priority?! Sheesh!!

(in reply to Chestburster)
Post #: 170
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/17/2014 4:44:01 PM   
Unforeseen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chestburster

That would be awesome! May I recommend the modification made by this mod... http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3647782

I think that choice access of planet type at the beginning would be nice and realistic.

(in reply to Chestburster)
Post #: 171
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/17/2014 7:13:05 PM   
ponasozis

This complaint is ridiculously insane all they did was increase font size to better way
its not like they changed the color of your house
its more like your glasses are old and have scratches all over we will change them to new ones so you could see better for free
wow seriously i am amazed by this dude its more like he is attention whore then anything else

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 172
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/17/2014 9:44:51 PM   
Unforeseen

It more or less sounds like he is butthurt about something EA did and inaccurately compared that to this. I imagine ANY change that was made that he didn't like would have caused him to act like this. I'm also 100% certain that had the font been what it is now in the original and then made to be smaller he would have complained about it being changed. There's nothing we can do unfortunately. There are people like this all over the world. I DO think this is still compatible "for now" since extended wasn't updated. IF you have downloaded a copy of .87 extended before he took it down you should be fine.

(in reply to ponasozis)
Post #: 173
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/18/2014 12:24:54 AM   
Locarnus

Thanks for the support of those interested in the mod.

Unfortunately some of the remarks in this thread have turned aggressive and depreciatory.

"Attention whore", "butthurt" in the last 2 posts...

I explained my reasons and while belittling was part of the ensuing exchange from the beginning, it didnt abate but rather turned uglier, coupled with some speculation about myself.

Which will not continue, at least not in this thread.

@ponasozis:
The discussion about the status of the project and the reasons for this status may be on topic, flaming/personal insults certainly are not.

< Message edited by Locarnus -- 7/18/2014 1:25:56 AM >

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 174
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/18/2014 1:43:42 AM   
Unforeseen

There isn't really much of a discussion to have. It's your mod to work on, and whether you choose to do so is your own decision to make.

However, one way to look at this is...you view the change as negative.. yet you are choosing to negatively impact the game by not developing content which was viewed as a pretty big improvement. So in an obscure sense you are contributing to the problem.

Yes a lot of our responses were flammatory in nature, but we are the guys on the opposite end of a U MAD BRO?! comment because a lot of us were looking forward to the completion of the mod, and this was taken from us by the modders obsession with a minor change in the game. You won't even allow anyone to take up the project themselves and finish it. It just seems rather selfish and to me at least, misguided. I was so hyped up about playing the game with a vastly expanded tech tree that I had decided I'd rather wait for it to be done than play without. Still haven't played, though I've also been busy IRL I admit. The most I've played of DW since I heard about this mod has been a couple pirate games, and some testing for DWOM.

At least from what I've seen the majority of your "audience" does not agree with your reasoning for taking down the mod. And the comparisons you gave were not valid in that they are not really a similar situation. A landlord painting your walls black is not the same as a game developer releasing an update that increases the font(albeit a small increase).

Mod aside, I suggest taking a look at what you are protesting and reassess whether it's THAT big of a deal. This is a great game, and your acting like the font change is game breaking when it isn't.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 175
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/18/2014 2:36:26 PM   
spinkick

Is a font change that big of a deal? Can you please at least let one of us continue on the work?

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 176
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/18/2014 3:01:32 PM   
Locarnus

That would totally defeat the purpose of the strike.

When taxi drivers strike, they dont let other people use their taxis to ferry passengers.
The taxi drivers strike because they want to continue as taxi drivers, they are just unhappy about the changed conditions.
And after protesting with words (which I did weeks ago), a strike is the last resort.
It is a pretty basic mechanic in the culture I come from.

But of course the comparison is inaccurate, since I do unpaid/voluntary work and provide a luxury good, not a basic one as one would assume based on some of the reactions to the strike here.

(in reply to spinkick)
Post #: 177
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/18/2014 9:11:04 PM   
spinkick

ok man, its a video game. Someone else will have to reinvent the wheel which sucks :(

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 178
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/18/2014 10:05:27 PM   
bugbear777

This thread is ridiculous.

(in reply to spinkick)
Post #: 179
RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended... - 7/18/2014 11:42:12 PM   
PsyKoSnake

If I am a bee, a turtle, a truck driver, a sexy asian japanesse...
Damn it! Dont make a good story to justify my action...
Yeah, I have an Idea. The king of england organize a party, He paint my wall Black, then a war start between france and england...Because It's not the room of the king. IT's my room, and I am the king of France. Why does the king of england have the right to paint the wall black. Then a sexy asian japaness demand a meeting with the king of england. No she is my girlfriend and she will fall in love with me. (her favorite color is black)
Ha yes! I should use the word landlord It make more sense!
Maybe if I include a Taxi in my Story as well. Now they will understand.

To be continued...

PS, It's a joke. You have the right to stop working on your mod. Take care and I hope you come back someday, when they fix your issue.

< Message edited by PsyKoSnake -- 7/19/2014 12:52:16 AM >

(in reply to bugbear777)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [DWU] Balance Mod v0.9 - 171 new projects (extended TechTree) [WIP] Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI