Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Japanese land in OZ!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Japanese land in OZ!! Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 3:04:34 PM   
rook749

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Burma

Problem is that AVG will withdraw in 4 days and I don´t have anything to fill the hole with right now. USAAF is on their way though. 125 P40s are unloading at Karachi but I need to give the pilots more time to train.

Won't you be able to move the AVG pilots into those ACUs that just landed in India? Were you able to get some of the Chines force out? They don't get great planes but with PDU Off with supply they should be more effective.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1171
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 3:09:30 PM   
rook749

quote:

------------------------
Air War and PDU OFF.
------------------------

Still to early to try and make any kind of assessment. But so far its been a PITA for me. This has especially hurt the training program. You have to be REALLY careful on what you upgrade. Once you do you cannot "undo" it. So if you later find yourself wanting those P39s you upgraded to? Nope.

Want to use those lovely P38s? Nope. Only 1 unrestricted squadron can use the "E" model and 1 the "F" model.

Want to use all those nice USMC DB squadrons that arrive? Ah, they upgrade directly to the SBD-3 version. Same as your CVs...this while you have 58 SBD-2s in the pool. But the SBD-2 can only be used by some of your CV squadrons. Did you upgrade those to "3s"? Aaaw too bad! Now you wasted 50 DBs...

I can´t tell you how much of a headache this is. I made so many mistakes and I will continue to do them. I´m very, very, VERY careful when upgrading stuff. Its fun though.

A good example of why this is much better for the game: My P39s have done some heavy fighting in OZ lately and I want to spread the load on the pools a bit more on the P40. I now actually have to ship the planes and squadrons there. No magic move!

I want to use the P38E. Yep...you guessed it. I have to SHIP the ONLY unrestricted squadron that can use it to wherever I want it. That squadron is actually a very good example of the dangers with PDU OFF and upgrading. Its the 51st/25th FS that actually starts with 4 P38s. At the time I moved them to India I didn´t have nowhere enough "Es" to fill the squadron out. So I almost upgraded them to the P40Es which is their next upgrade. Good thing I didn´t or I would never have been able to use the P38E at all...

I know most people believe PDU OFF is an instant win button for the allies. After playing for 8 months I still don´t agree with that. That opinion might change the further we get though. But as I look through tracker right now I can see for example I will by flying P39s, Mowhawks and Lancers well into 43. Some of 13th USAAF (SOPAC) P39s don´t upgrade until the P38J comes online in 12/43! I have at least one P39 Squadron that doesn´t upgrade until the P47-25 (44/3).

So it does go both ways. But the big difference is that PDU ON together with the ability to control the industry make Japan an immense powerhouse. This is taken away to an extent by PDU OFF. The Japanese side still gets almost unlimited numbers but can no longer focus and drive ahead a few extraordinary models like the Tojo, Frank and George and rely solely on those.

Another HUGE benefit of PDU OFF is that is will slow down the pace of the air war considerably. At some point in the game a limitation was added on how many AC can be drawn as replacements. I think its 12 per week? This is easily bypassed by simply downgrading and then upgrading the model (can be done instantly in PDU ON). This means that a FS could be annihilated to the last plane only to be fully recover 4-6 days later. Now it would take around 10-12 days instead.

Your 36 plane CV DB squadron got shot to pieces? See you in 25 days or so instead of 5.

The teleporting planes are also gone. I remembered when my first batch of 75 P47 arrived in my game with Erik. I simply downgraded them to P39s and 2 days later I had 75 P47s in Burma. This can no longer be done. The planes have to be moved there physically.

As I said I may very well change opinion about PDU OFF as the game progress but right now the only feel I´m getting is that "this is how its supposed to be" feeling. Things are making sense all of the sudden. And at least so far the air war is looking exactly as it does with PDU ON. Tom is kicking my butt in the air war during this critical Japanese expansion phase.

This is simply a great summary of PDU off. I agree that PDU Off is not an instant win for the Allies, it makes the game more historical in the air war ---it does shift the balance back towards the Allies. It gives the Allies the option to fight as the are not facing only the best Japaneses air planes but there are several hidden costs that you highlight very well.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1172
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 4:14:44 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: rook749
Won't you be able to move the AVG pilots into those ACUs that just landed in India? Were you able to get some of the Chines force out? They don't get great planes but with PDU Off with supply they should be more effective.

Yes, I could. But I want the AVG pilots down in OZ were the heavy fighting is. I could of course have sent them there earlier...but that would have been..untidy!

(in reply to rook749)
Post #: 1173
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 4:25:02 PM   
JocMeister

5rd July 42

Very little to report again. First Tojos are online as 9(!) are lost to OPS all of the sudden on the same day. Huh?

------------------------
SOPAC
------------------------

Tom is indeed pulling back towards Noumea. Looks like he is evacuating Kandavu Isl as well. Interesting. Got some Intel from a F-4 flying over Noumea. Over 100.000 men reported there. SL is only 35k. That must burn some supply...

Part of the bombardment TF reached Brisbane this turn. I´m still torn about entering the hex. Going to pull in some subs first. KB is still gone. But a sub came across this:

quote:

ASW attack near Belep Islands at 115,152

Japanese Ships
DD Makigumo
DD Kazegumo

Allied Ships
SS O24

Don´t remember seeing these two before in the area.

Uhm...yeah...thats it! Very quiet!

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1174
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 4:46:43 PM   
BBfanboy

Check the Recon skill on the pilots in that F-4 squadron. I doubt they are very high, and until they train up over 50 in the skill their reports are very suspect.
Having said that, if there really are 100,000 troops at Noumea, I wonder if he is just unloading some ships to reorganize his amphib TFs before he reloads the troops.
My gut feel though is that he canceled an invasion when he saw how much he was facing.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1175
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 5:23:26 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Check the Recon skill on the pilots in that F-4 squadron. I doubt they are very high, and until they train up over 50 in the skill their reports are very suspect.
Having said that, if there really are 100,000 troops at Noumea, I wonder if he is just unloading some ships to reorganize his amphib TFs before he reloads the troops.
My gut feel though is that he canceled an invasion when he saw how much he was facing.

The pilots are good (RCN 65+) so I take its pretty accurate. As you say he might just be reorganizing. Should have moved some troops out to LaFoa though. That much overstack probably eats a couple of thousand supply per day!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1176
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 7:12:59 PM   
JocMeister

I have many "rule of thumbs" concerning this game. Like: "1 lost 4E for each airborne fighter" or "P40s suck"...its a long list. But somewhere in that list there is a particular one that says "whenever you try to be really smart it backfires on you".

Guess we will see if that and the P40 one still holds tomorrow...though my RoT list is never wrong so the outcome is pretty given! At least its Friday...

Tonights drinking: (not the first time it has appeared here )
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/oppigards-thurbo-double-ipa/191963/

Music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeE3Twf6B1I

Skål!

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 8/29/2014 8:19:35 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1177
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/29/2014 11:41:57 PM   
Cribtop

HOO-ray, Beer!

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1178
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/30/2014 6:57:34 AM   
JocMeister

7th July 42

Seems my bad luck is holding...

------------------------
SOPAC
------------------------

I´ve been itching to try and hit the myriad of AKEs that has been sitting at Kandavu. With the decreased CAP and disappearance of the KB I finally got the chance.

LRCAP from Suva and 45 B17s flying from the Samoans. As icing on the cake a big TF was loading at Kandavu and I sneaked in a small CL TF centered around Achilles and Perth withing striking distance.

Firstly the CL TF decide that instead of moving 9 hexes at full speed we move one 1. Okay, that sucks but lets go in the next night instead. This time they go only to find the TF loading troops have already left and is halfway to Noumea!

The port attack? Yeah, everything works perfectly. Except Tom emptied out the ports and moved set them on their way to Noumea the same turn my bombers go in. So I loose 3 P40s and 6 B17s for absolutely nothing.

Come on. Give me a break will you.

------------------------
OZ
------------------------

I´ve decided not to move into Brisbane right now. There is no point as the CD guns I brought won´t fire back and the clear terrain will make DIS so high I cannot attack anyway.

I need to establish air superiority before I can try. Working on that...

------------------------
China
------------------------

Tom easily crossed the river over to Paoshan.

quote:

Ground combat at Paoshan (65,45)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 23452 troops, 311 guns, 64 vehicles, Assault Value = 633

Defending force 15682 troops, 93 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 648

Japanese adjusted assault: 341

Allied adjusted defense: 1981

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 5 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
1596 casualties reported
Squads: 9 destroyed, 291 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 38 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 21 disabled
Guns lost 26 (1 destroyed, 25 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
270 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 30 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
Imperial Guards Division
112th Infantry Regiment
5th Mortar Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion
3rd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
21st Medium Field Artillery Battalion

Defending units:
66th Chinese Corps

Its not like this 650 AV Corp was sitting in x3 terrain with level 3 forts and actually had supply? Oh wait...So Tom is safely across now and immediately started bombarding my troops. This will mean the end of Paoshan in 2-3 weeks. Great.

------------------------
Other news
------------------------

Not much actually. I may be looking at an Ceylon invasion as the 18th have started prepping for Colombo. If KB is actually moving into the area its a possibility although an unlikely one.

Just to make sure I´m moving the newly arrived 2nd British ID to Colombo. The 23rd Indian is already there and the forts should reach 6 in 2 weeks or so. I´ll also move some CD guns to make sure.

Slightly bitter about my bad lack during the last 2 turns. I think I deserve a break by now...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1179
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/30/2014 11:15:03 AM   
JocMeister

Pilot Training

I´m finally starting to "clean up" the pools. In 2 months or so I should have them to what I want.

Fighters
EXP 50 AIR 70 DEF 70

But I also train a small number perhaps 50 or so in LowN and STRF. This will be mostly for novelty as the P39 has such a poor range it can seldom be used for "barge busting"

Bombers
Here I differ from what the "experts" say. I try to avoid dual training. Why? Because if I train pilots in two different skills and they get killed doing one thing the other training is wasted. That time could have been used training a second pilot instead.

So I train them in three categories:
GRND (4Es + 2Es)
LowN (Attack bombers)

I also train a bunch of pilots in regular NavB. There are instances when I will use 2Es for naval strikes. If I do I simply change the pilots.

I also don´t worry too much about EXP. Once they are past 40-45 I send them back to the pool as long as they have 70+ in their intended role. Why? Because its not going to make a difference. One bad day and you will lose 50 pilots. It doesn´t matter if they are EXP 40 or EXP 70. They are going to die nonetheless. I had 90+ EXP pilots with 90+ in DEF flying B29s during the night over the HI. 95% were dead within 2 months...I might have lost more flying worse pilots sure. But it took 3 years to get those pilots to where they were. 1-2 months extra training won´t effect anything.

When it comes to bomber pilots its not about quality but quantity. Somewhere around mid 44 I had 20 FS + all restricted BGs doing nothing but training pilots in GRND. Thats something like 600 pilots in a single training cycle. It still wasn´t enough as I was flying EXP40/GRND 60 at the end of the war. A large part of this is because many (most?) of the B29 pilots arrive with bombers trained in the wrong skill. Mostly in LowN and RCN. My last game was PDU ON though which meant Erik had almost unlimited numbers of Fighters and Night Fighters. PDU OFF might increase bomber survivabilty a bit.

CV DB/TB
This is a different story. Here you have to dual train and even triple train.

DBs + TBs need NavB + NavS + ASW. Don´t neglect ASW. You will lose CVs to subs whatever you do but this might save a few.

I also train a small amount of Fighter pilots in Air + RCN to use those Wildcats that come with a camera.

Patrol
NavS obviously and if given time ASW.

Recon
Well...doh.

I handpick every single pilot. Its a bit of a hassle but it also gives me complete control of who goes where. Once you get the hang of it its quite fast en efficient and I rarely spend more then 5 minutes per turn fiddling with pilots. Once a month I go through all the training squadrons. This is made easier by sending all squadrons used for training into the same base. Say Eastern USA/Karachi/Melbourne/Canada/Wellington.

In all honestly I like the old way of WITP better. I don´t find that ON MAP training adds much if anything to the game but more micro management. Its now a requirement if you are to have any success in the air war. So pay attention to it.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1180
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/30/2014 11:45:57 AM   
Lowpe

Where is the AAR on the Beer? Surely you had better luck there.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1181
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/30/2014 1:07:11 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Where is the AAR on the Beer? Surely you had better luck there.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1182
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/30/2014 2:20:20 PM   
JocMeister

8th July 42

A small consolation...

------------------------
SOPAC
------------------------

I missed the troop ships but got a small consolation price...

quote:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Anatom at 124,161, Range 7,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DMS W-7, Shell hits 7, and is sunk
PB Ginyo Maru
PB Okuyo Maru #2
SC Ch 24
SC Ch 26, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
AV Kamoi, Shell hits 32, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AKE San Francisco Maru, Shell hits 1
AKE Zyunyo Maru
AKE Hokko Maru, Shell hits 4, on fire
AKE Yamahagi Maru, Shell hits 1
AKE Ryuyo Maru
AKE Mansei Maru, Shell hits 2
AD Koshu Maru #2
AKE Nagisan Maru, Shell hits 4, on fire
AKE Yosida Maru #1, Shell hits 1
PB Katsuragisan Maru, Shell hits 3, on fire
PB Kaito Maru, Shell hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
PB Hitora Maru, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
PB Genmei Maru, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
PB Tsuneshima Maru, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CL Achilles
CL Perth, Shell hits 1
DD Woodworth
DD Jarvis
DD Gridley
DD McCall
DD Benham
DD Tucker
DD Litchfield

Something also sinks during the night. Probably PB Tsuneshima Maru. A bit disappointed I didn´t sink more. But I figured the subs might get some of the cripples. They indeed did. No less then 14 duds and no explosions...

Perhaps they have better luck tomorrow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1183
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/30/2014 4:50:44 PM   
JocMeister

9th July 42

------------------------
SOPAC
------------------------

Two more sinking sounds heard during the night.

Tom responds by sending a CA force consisting of 3-4 CAs plus an unknown number of DDs at flank speed straight for Suva. My small CL force had already departed for Pago Pago and escapes certain doom for now. They are almost out of fuel though and I can´t run them at full speed.

So if Tom goes after them at full speed he might catch them.

In a bit of a misfortune Tom finds my CVs that are waiting to meet up with the AP/AKs SE of the Samoans. All of the sudden the area is flooded by 10+ subs. How the heck did he find me?! This might turn out to be a good thing though as it might reinforce the impression I´m in SOPAC. I moved the CVs further NE and set the transports on a small detour.

------------------------
Burma
------------------------

Tom sweeps Chittagong with some Oscars. My planes are stood down though and he hits empty space. I´ll put them back up for tomorrow to just in case he comes back.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1184
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/30/2014 6:17:37 PM   
JocMeister

10th July 42

More sinking sounds!

------------------------
SOPAC
------------------------

Toms CAs disappear. Probably headed back to Noumea. My CLs safely reaches Pago Pago. Will head back to Christmas to fix the SYS together with the Detroit and Concord TF. That leaves SOPAC pretty empty but the entire navy is just 3 days out if something occurs. AP/AKs just passed Tahiti. They can juuuust reach the oilers. Will probably need 3-4 days to refuel everyone. So we should be leaving in about 2 weeks.

------------------------
PH
------------------------

Hmm, I will probably have to start expanding all the bases in Hawaii. PH has almost reached SL limits already. Total SL on all Hawaiian island is only around 400k. That sucks. Won´t be enough in 44-46.

Looks like I will have to use OZ for a staging point even for CENTPAC in this game...

------------------------
Burma
------------------------

The Oscar sweep came again. Despite them Sweeping above the Hurris max ceiling we whooped them good.

quote:

Morning Air attack on Chittagong , at 55,41

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 59 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 39

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 33
Hurricane IIc Trop x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb Trop: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x Ki-43-IIa Oscar sweeping at 32000 feet

11 Oscars for only 3 Hurricanes. No pilots lost.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1185
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/30/2014 6:53:15 PM   
Lokasenna

Looks like you burned up some xAKs! All those PBs are sunk, BTW. With that many sinking sounds, you probably heard all 4 go down in successive days/phases. Possible that some of the xAKs had fires go out of control as well.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1186
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/30/2014 7:03:13 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Hmm, I will probably have to start expanding all the bases in Hawaii. PH has almost reached SL limits already. Total SL on all Hawaiian island is only around 400k. That sucks. Won´t be enough in 44-46.

You will find that need sweeps across the Pacific as your forces do. Now you know why IRL the 1st USMC Div spent so much time rebuilding on a crab-infested island!

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1187
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/30/2014 8:11:18 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Looks like you burned up some xAKs! All those PBs are sunk, BTW. With that many sinking sounds, you probably heard all 4 go down in successive days/phases. Possible that some of the xAKs had fires go out of control as well.

That would be nice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

You will find that need sweeps across the Pacific as your forces do. Now you know why IRL the 1st USMC Div spent so much time rebuilding on a crab-infested island!

And if I remember correctly they wern´t were fond of the place. Peleliu was it?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1188
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/30/2014 8:36:05 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

That would be nice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

And if I remember correctly they wern´t were fond of the place. Peleliu was it?

No, I think it was Russell Islands in the Solomons (I might have it confused with Rennel). IIRC they went there twice(!) for R&R.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1189
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/31/2014 7:30:10 AM   
JocMeister

13th July 42

Things have really quieted down.

------------------------
SOPAC
------------------------

No more signs of the CA TF and no more sinking sounds.

------------------------
Burma
------------------------

Nothing.

------------------------
China
------------------------

I´m starting to regret not abandoning Chunking. I figured I could try and use the level 6 forts there for something good. Instead this turned into a Japanese VP generator.

quote:

Ground combat at Chungking (76,45)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 8010 troops, 665 guns, 733 vehicles, Assault Value = 1017

Defending force 102109 troops, 151 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2347

Allied ground losses:
616 casualties reported
Squads: 17 destroyed, 35 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Tom doesn´t even need to risk his troops. He can just continue to gain a small amount of VPs each turn.

------------------------
VPs
------------------------

Anything moving the scale in the right direction is immediately eaten up by LCU losses in China. 4,4:1 now.

------------------------
Reorganization
------------------------

I´m finally starting to work some sense into the logistics. As ships return from OZ/SOPAC/CT/PH they are now properly organized after endurance and speed. Urgent need forced me to just send out whatever I had available at the time earlier. Right now there are no urgent supply or fuel that needs to be delivered.

Fuel stocks are not looking good though. To save time I started using up the PH fuel and its now down to only 80k. I have a small stock at Christmas and Pago Pago. Also a small emergency stash at NZ but that will be used up when some smaller convoys make the long journey back to the WC.

Having the fleet in SOPAC has meant a tremendous strain on fuel. I can´t understand how Tom has kept the KB + all those CAs and BBs running. I hope once the fleet leaves SOPAC I can start building up fuel at various locations.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1190
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/31/2014 11:08:23 AM   
ny59giants

quote:

Having the fleet in SOPAC has meant a tremendous strain on fuel. I can´t understand how Tom has kept the KB + all those CAs and BBs running. I hope once the fleet leaves SOPAC I can start building up fuel at various locations.

Probably from Tarakan and Balikpapan refineries. When I play Japan, their output of fuel goes to Babeldoab and/or Truk. Maybe some from Japan. I would send about 10 subs to patrol to the west of Truk. Maybe in east to west patrol zones that start about 4 to 6 hexes west of Truk.

It may be late for this game, but I like to build up little Penrhyn Island. The port can go to a 4, but the AF starts at 0(0) that needs to become a size 1 or 2. This allows short legged aircraft to make the trip from Pearl - Johnson - Palmrya - Christmas - Penrhyn - Pago Pago. It can be a relatively safe base for some fuel. Since Canton Island is often captured by Japan, this is a good option, IMO.

Most of your TKs and AOs can make it to Christmas and/or Penrhyn and back to USA without refueling needed. Don't forget to set the TF to "Do Not Refuel."

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1191
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/31/2014 5:43:48 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

quote:

Probably from Tarakan and Balikpapan refineries. When I play Japan, their output of fuel goes to Babeldoab and/or Truk. Maybe some from Japan. I would send about 10 subs to patrol to the west of Truk. Maybe in east to west patrol zones that start about 4 to 6 hexes west of Truk.

It may be late for this game, but I like to build up little Penrhyn Island. The port can go to a 4, but the AF starts at 0(0) that needs to become a size 1 or 2. This allows short legged aircraft to make the trip from Pearl - Johnson - Palmrya - Christmas - Penrhyn - Pago Pago. It can be a relatively safe base for some fuel. Since Canton Island is often captured by Japan, this is a good option, IMO.

Most of your TKs and AOs can make it to Christmas and/or Penrhyn and back to USA without refueling needed. Don't forget to set the TF to "Do Not Refuel."

I considered building Penrhyn up for the exact reason you give. But I didn´t have any engineers to spare. I might still do it though just to be able to fly fighters from PH to SOPAC/OZ. Had 2 AKVs run shuttle between PH and Pago Pago.

About the TKs/AOs. Using medium legged xAKs for that right now but I hope to get a proper TK convoy up soon.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1192
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 8/31/2014 5:44:29 PM   
JocMeister

PS. Sorry for lack of updates. Been away on a christening all day so we only managed two turns today.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1193
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/1/2014 7:25:52 AM   
JocMeister

13th July 42

Only managed 3 turns yesterday but some odd/interesting news...

------------------------
SOPAC
------------------------

So, looks like I found the KB? If so why is it disbanded at Noumea of all places? And why disband it? Repair SYS? In other news the I-168 sank Gridley outside Pago Pago.

quote:

ASW attack near Niuafo'ou at 140,162

Japanese Ships
SS I-168

Allied Ships
DD Gridley, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
CL Perth
CL Achilles
DD McCall
DD Jarvis
DD Litchfield
DD Tucker
DD Benham

Not sure if anything has changed in DBB lately but I find Jap subs almost impervious to ASW efforts. Even using 4 APDs (4x6 ASW rating and moderate EXP) I simply cannot damage or suppress any subs. Even when helped by CATs to spot them. Tom isn´t even avoiding my ASW TFs. He just sits there until he has run out of TTs shooting at the ASW ships. Lost a couple of APDs/DDs/PCs this way.

I´m going to prioritize air ASW from now. Should have the first batch of NavS/ASW pilots ready soon.

------------------------
Burma
------------------------

Base expansion is starting to gain momentum. 125 P40Es just moved to the front lines to help the RAF.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1194
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/1/2014 8:51:42 AM   
GreyJoy

AFAIK the allied ASW hasn't been nerfed in DBB at all.
I can assure you that in my game with Erik (the same mod as yours with Tom), the allied ASW is as deadly as it could be even in mid 1942.
I've had many many subs losing their battles with low-experienced allied ships like AMs, AVP/Ds and receiving bad hits to force them to get back home for repairs.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1195
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/1/2014 9:21:51 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

AFAIK the allied ASW hasn't been nerfed in DBB at all.
I can assure you that in my game with Erik (the same mod as yours with Tom), the allied ASW is as deadly as it could be even in mid 1942.
I've had many many subs losing their battles with low-experienced allied ships like AMs, AVP/Ds and receiving bad hits to force them to get back home for repairs.

No such luck for me though. Mines have been more effective then ASW ships so far.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1196
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/1/2014 10:25:24 AM   
JocMeister

Got a nice little 3500 Euro taxreturn!

Decided I just had to have one of these:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5629/samsung-840-evo-250gb-ssd-review/index.html

Already running Windows + everything but games on a SSD drive. Now I´ll be able to run AE + tracker straight of a SSD.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1197
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/1/2014 11:02:56 AM   
Lowpe

I suspect sys damage from probably high speed runs, but the need to conserve fuel is why the CVs are disbanded.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1198
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/1/2014 11:21:21 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I suspect sys damage from probably high speed runs, but the need to conserve fuel is why the CVs are disbanded.

Might be a combo of both then. A bit surprised though he decided to park them were I can see them. I´ve been running recon over Noumea from time to time for over a month.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1199
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/1/2014 11:50:56 AM   
koniu

quote:

Got a nice little 3500 Euro taxreturn!

Decided I just had to have one of these:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5629/samsung-840-evo-250gb-ssd-review/index.html

Already running Windows + everything but games on a SSD drive. Now I´ll be able to run AE + tracker straight of a SSD.

Have SSD from over Year now. New experience when using PC.
I am also using SSD for tracker and game. What i notice is that all load times go down by 50% or more. Game load in 5 sec now. Especially i notice speed increase with tracker. I think tracer can run even faster but my CPU is probably to slow.

Tracer is Java program. Java consume huge amount or RAM. I noticed decent tracer speed increase when i bought extra memory. Now i have 8GB RAM and all data is loaded to memory, when i had 4GB, HDD was used to load missing data when i was using tracker.

< Message edited by koniu -- 9/1/2014 12:56:46 PM >

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1200
Page:   <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Japanese land in OZ!! Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI