Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Japanese land in OZ!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Japanese land in OZ!! Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/3/2014 7:39:28 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sangeli

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister
By the looks of it he will try and defend Brisbane. 80k troops there now and a big SCTF covering the base. KB still sitting at Noumea.

Haven't heard much from here recently. Is there a buildup of Allied forces in OZ? Any plans for counter offensives?

Its mostly because much isn´t happening. I have an allied 2000 AV army camped one hex West of Brisbane. But I don´t dare enter Brisbane proper as he will unleash the bombardments again. I send in the occasion air raid at night shooting down a couple of NFs but thats about what is happening. Tom has stopped bombing the industry and sweeping so he seems content with the situation.

So for now I´ll have to settle for tying up valuable Japanese CAs and BBs. I don´t have any plans to send additional reinforcements to OZ at this stage. Mainly because I don´t have anything to send there.

(in reply to Sangeli)
Post #: 1231
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/3/2014 10:08:05 AM   
JocMeister

SOPAC 22nd July

Hmm, what this then? Looks like Tom really wants to find Achilles/Perth. Tom is moving really aggressively with his SCTFs and doesn´t seem to fear anything. Guess I wouldn´t fear much besides allied CVs if I were him either at this stage.

I pulled back the small Amphib TF close to Suva in case he makes a full speed run for it. Only a small TF with two APs but they have troops onboard.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1232
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/3/2014 1:59:13 PM   
Barb

Joc: I doubt your Sumatra plan will work - too much time to reach Palembang from the other side of the island, while he will have enough time to scramble in reinforcements either by air of fast transport. And if he immediately sends KB there, you can count your landed army as written off.
I would say a rather big bonus in VPs even without any ships of yours being sunk, and yet more you will be without considerable offensive power for quite a while even if you rebuild the units lost...

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1233
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/3/2014 4:31:16 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

Joc: I doubt your Sumatra plan will work - too much time to reach Palembang from the other side of the island, while he will have enough time to scramble in reinforcements either by air of fast transport. And if he immediately sends KB there, you can count your landed army as written off.
I would say a rather big bonus in VPs even without any ships of yours being sunk, and yet more you will be without considerable offensive power for quite a while even if you rebuild the units lost...

Yes, it also doesnt affect the VP points as Barb points out. Even if you managed to do it you could still lose.

Taking Suva and Noumea are really good point levers. Noumea even more so as you can build it up.

It is frustrating for the allies in 42 as the points tick up for the Japanese and there seems no way to stop the juggernaut.

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 1234
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/3/2014 4:54:50 PM   
Lokasenna

As Bullwinkle mentioned in a previous post, Palembang isn't about VPs so much as about a strategic target. I can't think of a more important hex to Japan over the course of the entire war. Everything in the SRA hinges upon Palembang. From typical (or even good-sized) late-42 Oil stockpiles of around 3M, losing Palembang's 900 means you're suddenly down to just about a year of oil in your reserves. If Jocke's attack on the hex damages some or all of that Oil, that's huge. VPs aren't a consideration in such an attack.

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 1235
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/3/2014 5:01:31 PM   
JocMeister

As I said before the OP is not set in stone. I will need at least 50 days to get everything in place and much can change during that time.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1236
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/3/2014 5:06:12 PM   
JocMeister

23rd July 42

Very little happening.

------------------------
SOPAC
------------------------

The SCTFs disappear from view. Either turned back or headed deeper into the South pacific toward Tahiti. Tom gets a fix on the Brit CVs when they cut a corner towards Pago Pago. Tom might try a full speed run with the KB from Noumea so I turned them due East to get out of the way.

I would rather he hadn´t learned they were there but perhaps this can work as a deterrent.

------------------------
OZ
------------------------

Putting together a little something here. Will need a couple of more days and then I´m going to try something.

------------------------
Merchant fleet
------------------------

Most of it is back at the WC doing the 6/42 upgrades for better AA. Might shoot down something from time to time.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1237
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/3/2014 5:36:14 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

------------------------
Merchant fleet
------------------------

Most of it is back at the WC doing the 6/42 upgrades for better AA. Might shoot down something from time to time.

Even if they don't shoot down enemy aircraft, the extra AA helps degrade their aim. Well worthwhile.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1238
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/3/2014 5:54:29 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Even if they don't shoot down enemy aircraft, the extra AA helps degrade their aim. Well worthwhile.

Yupp, I thought so too.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1239
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/3/2014 6:29:24 PM   
ny59giants

Maybe get a small BF at Rauol Island (between Aukland and Suva) to get a PBY operating out of.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1240
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/3/2014 6:36:33 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

As Bullwinkle mentioned in a previous post, Palembang isn't about VPs so much as about a strategic target. I can't think of a more important hex to Japan over the course of the entire war. Everything in the SRA hinges upon Palembang. From typical (or even good-sized) late-42 Oil stockpiles of around 3M, losing Palembang's 900 means you're suddenly down to just about a year of oil in your reserves. If Jocke's attack on the hex damages some or all of that Oil, that's huge. VPs aren't a consideration in such an attack.

We have beat this horse enough already!

What will be .... will be...

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1241
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/3/2014 6:45:30 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

We have beat this horse enough already!

What will be .... will be...

So .... is it time to start beating the horse's rider??

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 9/3/2014 7:45:58 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1242
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/3/2014 8:03:06 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Maybe get a small BF at Rauol Island (between Aukland and Suva) to get a PBY operating out of.

Or an AVP or a couple of AVDs

Hans

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1243
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 4:27:39 AM   
JocMeister

I have an AVD and 2 CATs at Rarotonga. I´ll try to move them forward to Raol Isl.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1244
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 4:39:39 AM   
JocMeister

31st July 42

Still very little happening.

------------------------
SOPAC/OZ
------------------------

I have been gathering the entire US 4E strength at Sydney. Took a good part of a month to get the squadrons in place. Over 120 4Es in place now. Plan is to make Brisbane very uncomfortable for Tom to hold on to.

I don´t like the tactics but for now I´ll continue to pound the AF at night. Its pretty much the only thing I can do at this stage and I figure Tom owes me about 5000 VPs.

Looks like Tom sent the SCTFs back to Noumea. Brit CVs are now east of Pago Pago. I´ll send them to Christmas to refuel. I´ve dropped a couple of BF in the Fijis and will start building secondary AFs on them. I´m also going to close down Kandavu using some newly arrived B25s.

Spotted a small TF at Norfolk Island not sure if Tom is reinforcing or he has realized the futility of trying to have a scouting base within 4E reach.

------------------------
Burma
------------------------

Base expansion is going rapidly. Once I have a solid string of AFs up and running I´m going to move forward here.

------------------------
CENTPAC
------------------------

Not much happening. Started moving BFs and Engineers out on the expandable dot bases in Hawaii. Trying to fill up fuel at Christmas but its being used up faster then I can refill it. Just 28k left now and the Brits will use that up.

------------------------
NOPAC
------------------------

Fort building. Planning on having an ID at both Dutch and Adak within a couple of days. Dutch should reach level 6 in about 14-20 days. Adak is only level 3 but I have loads of engineers there and forts are growing rapidly.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1245
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 12:17:54 PM   
BBfanboy

Sydney makes a juicy target for his BB bombardments and may for Betties/Nells flying out of Brisbane. How are the defences there?
Could the bombers be based one hex inland?

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1246
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 2:23:47 PM   
Lokasenna

Once you take Brisbane back, you can hit Noumea with 4Es from there... kind of him to build the airfield for you, too.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1247
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 2:48:28 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

Sydney makes a juicy target for his BB bombardments and may for Betties/Nells flying out of Brisbane. How are the defences there?

There are some forts at Sydney including 4x 9,2 inch guns. To add that there are some 40 or so 6 inch guns in place. And there is about 300 mines. I hope that is deterrent enough.

No level 9 AFs inland yet. Working on it but it will be a while!

quote:

Once you take Brisbane back, you can hit Noumea with 4Es from there... kind of him to build the airfield for you, too.

Yeah...I "just" need to recapture it.

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 9/4/2014 3:49:02 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1248
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 2:49:53 PM   
JocMeister

Havn´t heard from Tom since last night. So no turns and no updates.

Very unlike Tom. Hope nothing has happened.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1249
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 3:09:53 PM   
Encircled

He's probably coming to terms with a US Sub sinking the whole KB......

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1250
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 4:44:27 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

He's probably coming to terms with a US Sub sinking the whole KB......

I wish!

In fact he was waiting for a turn from me. He missed the one I sent him last night.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 1251
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 5:35:29 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

In fact he was waiting for a turn from me. He missed the one I sent him last night.

You guys play at a blistering pace...considering he is also playing Spidery too.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1252
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 5:37:59 PM   
Sangeli

quote:

quote:

There are some forts at Sydney including 4x 9,2 inch guns. To add that there are some 40 or so 6 inch guns in place. And there is about 300 mines. I hope that is deterrent enough.

I had nearly an identical situation in my previous game when the Japanese invaded Brisbane. Like you I thought I'd be safe with mines, guns, and a level 9 AF. I was wrong! The Japanese launched an absolutely nuclear bombardment of the base destroying like 100 aircraft in a single day with about 1/3rd of the losses in 4E. That's pretty much when I decided to avoid using coastal airbases in Australia for the duration of the campaign there. No sense keeping your 4E in Sydney if you aren't using them at that moment for air attacks.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1253
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 5:45:36 PM   
offenseman

If at all possible both sides need to build non-coastal bases because early the IJN can essentially nuke a base to bedrock and after mid war, the Allies can do the same at will on several fronts at the same time.

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

(in reply to Sangeli)
Post #: 1254
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 5:49:38 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

quote:

You guys play at a blistering pace...considering he is also playing Spidery too.

Well, we are not doing 7-10 turns per day any longer. But around 5-6.

Sadly it will be back to normal 1-3 per day next week as I start work again...

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1255
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 5:53:17 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sangeli

quote:

quote:

I had nearly an identical situation in my previous game when the Japanese invaded Brisbane. Like you I thought I'd be safe with mines, guns, and a level 9 AF. I was wrong! The Japanese launched an absolutely nuclear bombardment of the base destroying like 100 aircraft in a single day with about 1/3rd of the losses in 4E. That's pretty much when I decided to avoid using coastal airbases in Australia for the duration of the campaign there. No sense keeping your 4E in Sydney if you aren't using them at that moment for air attacks.

Thanks for the warning!

I´ll keep my eyes open for those BBs. Havn´t seen them in a while now though. Might have moved them back to Rabaul or Truk.

(in reply to Sangeli)
Post #: 1256
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 6:02:04 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: offenseman

If at all possible both sides need to build non-coastal bases because early the IJN can essentially nuke a base to bedrock and after mid war, the Allies can do the same at will on several fronts at the same time.

+1. Sound Advice.

(in reply to offenseman)
Post #: 1257
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/4/2014 6:10:10 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: offenseman

+1. Sound Advice.

Indeed!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1258
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/5/2014 6:14:37 AM   
JocMeister

4th August 42

Despite the small mixup with turns yesterday we get a 4 turns done during the evening.

------------------------
SOPAC/OZ
------------------------

Tom must have moved some serious AA into Brisbane. Despite flying from 10k I all of the sudden lose 10 B17Es to flak. Ouch!

quote:

Night Air attack on Brisbane , at 96,160

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 8 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 2 destroyed by flak

I end up having almost 100 B17Es damaged. Ah well at least it worked for a while and I got some precious VPs.

The Achilles/Perth TF visit Norfolk Island with some good results.

quote:

Night Naval bombardment of Norfolk Island at 113,170

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
H8K1 Emily: 8 damaged

Allied Ships
CL Perth
CL Achilles
DD Litchfield
DD Tucker
DD Benham
DD McCall
DD Jarvis
DD Woodworth

Japanese ground losses:
332 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 29 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 1 disabled

And at the Fijis Marauders smash the small airfield at Kandavu Island during 2 days of bombing. A couple of Jakes are destroyed on the field.

quote:

Morning Air attack on Kandavu Island , at 132,162

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Allied aircraft
Vincent I x 6
B-26 Marauder x 21
P-40E Warhawk x 15

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 19

------------------------
Burma
------------------------

We exchange some fire over Ledo. It starts with British Blenheims flying missions into China. This leads to Japanese Sallys trying to close the AF. They meet a solid CAP and all 10 are shot down.

quote:

Morning Air attack on Ledo , at 65,38

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 70 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 20 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 25

Allied aircraft
Hurricane I Trop x 7
Hurricane IIb Trop x 16
Hurricane IIc Trop x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 10 destroyed

The day after that Tojos fly for the first time. They come in above the CAP but I still come out ahead. Surprising!

quote:

Morning Air attack on Ledo , at 65,38

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 43 NM, estimated altitude 35,560 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 32

Allied aircraft
Hurricane I Trop x 7
Hurricane IIb Trop x 14
Hurricane IIc Trop x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane I Trop: 2 destroyed
Hurricane IIb Trop: 1 destroyed
Hurricane IIc Trop: 1 destroyed

Perhaps the rain saved me but 12 Tojos are estimated lost for only 4 Allied Hurricanes. No pilots lost. After this I have to pull back the fighters though as only around 30% of the planes are still flying and FAT is dangerously high.

------------------------
China
------------------------

What little supply I had left among the southern troops are now gone. Now every unit in China have 0 supply. Great.

------------------------
PPs
------------------------

I´ve pretty much bought out what I could among the US troops. There are still some engineers left but they will work on the WC AFs for now. I´ll shift focus to Indian now. I have 3 good Indian units that have been denied replacements and can be bought out for under 1000 PPs each. They will then of course need 2-3 months to fill out but it will be a considerable boost to unrestricted strength in Burma.

Plan is to start applying a lot of pressure here in late 42. I want to force Tom to invest heavily here.

------------------------
Airframes
------------------------

August is a very interesting allied months. Most importantly the P38F starts producing at 40/month. Only 1 unrestricted squadron can use it though.

But I also get the B17F and B25C. Very nice!

The British Vengence I also comes online which is great. I have 4 British squadrons that upgrades to this and it will give me some good Naval bombers in India.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1259
RE: Japanese land in OZ!! - 9/5/2014 10:37:54 AM   
JocMeister

Fighter pools USAAF

Is actually looking way better then they usually are. I see several reasons for this:

Many squadrons are stuck with "useless" models like B-18s, Mowhawks, P26s, P40Bs and so on. While many of these planes are fully usable like the P40B and Mowhawk they lack the planes to sustain combat or in some instances to even fill out the squadrons.

I´m still on the defensive. Losses will rise as I start the first smaller offensive. Both to combat and to simple OPS losses due to usage.

PDU OFF means I have to rely on models I would normally not use. This is especially true for bombers. It also means a lot less planes in general on the frontline as I try to keep only best models there.

While this looks really good I also have to keep in mind that I will have to rely on the P40E and P39 for much longer then what I´m used to. So the pools will be used longer then usual. Looking at tracker I see that around 50% of the P40Es upgrade to the "K" version (9/42). But some doesn´t upgrade until the P47D2 (7/43) or the P40N5 (7/43). This means I have to keep a viable pool of "E"s for 12 more months.

Looking at the P39 its a similar situation.

About 50% of the Squadrons simply withdraws (restricted squadrons on the WC). None of the P39s upgrade to the P40K but most of whats unrestricted seem to upgrade to different variations of the P38s. Mostly "G" (10/42) and then one "J" (12/43). Also have two squadrons that upgrade directly to the P47D2 in 7/43. So its the same as with the P40E pool. I have to keep them stocked until mid-late 43.

Have to be very careful not to run them dry. Perhaps even more so then with PDU ON. I´ll go through the USN pools sometime during the weekend.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 9/5/2014 12:30:59 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1260
Page:   <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Japanese land in OZ!! Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI