Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: YouTube Collaborative Series

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: YouTube Collaborative Series Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/4/2014 3:18:10 PM   
Tophat1815

Pssst!!! Das you forgot to post parts 1 and 2 of year 26! Both good episodes and shows what "booty" a player can get from going after a powerful pirate faction.

A;sp parts 1 and 2 of year 27!

< Message edited by Tophat1812 -- 9/7/2014 10:41:22 PM >

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 181
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/8/2014 3:16:43 AM   
Tophat1815

Bump and Larry is up!

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 182
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/8/2014 5:30:57 PM   
vmxa_slith

Larry is up? Last one I found was by Das, so guess should be up. Did I miss one?

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 183
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/8/2014 7:20:42 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: vmxa

Larry is up? Last one I found was by Das, so guess should be up. Did I miss one?

Yes you did...Marcus Aurilius did year 26 in 2 parts. Good episodes actually.

(in reply to vmxa_slith)
Post #: 184
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/8/2014 9:36:24 PM   
StarLab

Just to catch up with the links here:

Das' Year 26
Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 26 Part 1 ~ New Front Lines
Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 26 Part 2 ~ Evil Sun

Marcus' Year 27
Distant Worlds Collaberative ~ Year 27 Pt. 1 ~ 111 Words for War...
Distant Worlds Collaberative ~ Year 27 Pt. 2 ~ ...But No Words for Compassion

I still need to watch Year 27 myself, but should have that watched and my year (28) done for tomorrow. Not to worry, I won't take 2 weeks like I did last time... :D

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 185
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/8/2014 11:53:55 PM   
Tophat1815

Not a problem Larry,the last few years have built up some tension.MA did a pretty good job but built some more of those dominatrix class capital ships. Don't think he realized they are just planetary bombardment vessels. When next you are up can you run through some of the design specs on your warships?

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 186
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/9/2014 1:01:05 AM   
StarLab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

Not a problem Larry,the last few years have built up some tension.MA did a pretty good job but built some more of those dominatrix class capital ships. Don't think he realized they are just planetary bombardment vessels. When next you are up can you run through some of the design specs on your warships?

Those ships might still be in queue for construction. Hopefully I can cancel before they hit the construction bays. And yes, it's time to look over our designs a bit at this point. I hope our superior ground forces holds off any Human invasions.

I fear we may still be strapped for certain resources so I'll have to look at that closely in the coming year.

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 187
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/9/2014 2:14:53 AM   
vmxa_slith

"Yes you did...Marcus Aurilius did year 26 in 2 parts. Good episodes actually."

Been looking and never saw it. Glad Larry slapped up the links.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 188
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/9/2014 3:44:46 AM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: vmxa

"Yes you did...Marcus Aurilius did year 26 in 2 parts. Good episodes actually."

Been looking and never saw it. Glad Larry slapped up the links.

I search for "Distant worlds universe collaborative"...usually get several hundred choices to scroll through but the majority of the time latest episodes are in top 150.

Larry i don't think al your warship designs have been refitted to include point defense yet. MA did order up more LONGD jeep-carrier ships and they have been useful.It will be interesting to see what you have left to work with.

(in reply to vmxa_slith)
Post #: 189
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/9/2014 1:42:59 PM   
spiralaxis

Das
Year 26.1: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Ylu90wyu51c
Year 26.2: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=zI5yOGGwjTQ

Marcus Aurelius
Year 27.1: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=mFhHduiwCTM
Year 27.2: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=zufdTAvBgHI

< Message edited by spiralaxis -- 9/9/2014 2:46:10 PM >

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 190
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/9/2014 4:02:13 PM   
StarLab

Here is part 1 of 3 of my year. Lots to look at...

Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 28 Pt 1 ~ Planning for the Year

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to spiralaxis)
Post #: 191
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/10/2014 3:53:40 PM   
vmxa_slith

Yeah, if they do not post the link in this thread, I will not see it. Though at one time Larry and Das were posting the links for all in their youtube page.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 192
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/10/2014 4:06:25 PM   
StarLab

I'll try to ensure links get posted here promptly for all players.

Here is part 2 of 3 for year 28. We actually play for a bit in this one.

Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 28 Pt 2 ~ Securing Ground Forces

< Message edited by StarLab -- 9/10/2014 5:07:12 PM >

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to vmxa_slith)
Post #: 193
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/11/2014 3:00:10 AM   
johanwanderer

quote:

I search for "Distant worlds universe collaborative"...usually get several hundred choices to scroll through but the majority of the time latest episodes are in top 150.

Larry i don't think al your warship designs have been refitted to include point defense yet. MA did order up more LONGD jeep-carrier ships and they have been useful.It will be interesting to see what you have left to work with.

At the end of his turn, Das will say who the next person is (if he knows that then). I then just check that person's channel, maybe once a day. Don't really have to search too much for it.

-Long.

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 194
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/11/2014 12:32:37 PM   
Tophat1815

Larry,good call on updating those ships the way you did. You need that next ship size increase to make any major changes.

(in reply to johanwanderer)
Post #: 195
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/11/2014 12:47:41 PM   
Icemania

It would be great to see the team play Extreme with the AI Improvement Mod ... and get slaughtered!

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 196
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/11/2014 2:52:00 PM   
StarLab

I actually put my fleet to good use in this year - many mining stations destroyed.

Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 28 Pt 3 ~ Let's Hit n' Run!

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 197
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/11/2014 3:00:59 PM   
StarLab

quote:

Larry,good call on updating those ships the way you did. You need that next ship size increase to make any major changes.

Yes, that's why I wasn't concerned about retrofits. For now we'll just replace lost ships with the new designs until we get major upgrades to size, etc...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

It would be great to see the team play Extreme with the AI Improvement Mod ... and get slaughtered!

It's always great to watch me fail. LOL! People seem to enjoy that. I'd feel sorry for the Guest player who has limited experience with the game under those settings though... hehehe...

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 198
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/11/2014 3:21:39 PM   
Cauldyth

One of the great advantages of these sorts of Let's Plays, apart from their sheer entertainment value, is that they can help show us poorer players how we can play better. The use of mods that alter the actual balance, like the AI Improvement mod does, means the lessons learned aren't applicable to those of us who prefer to play the vanilla game.

I'm not counting the Extended mod, as that doesn't alter any actual mechanics.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 199
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/11/2014 3:38:57 PM   
StarLab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

One of the great advantages of these sorts of Let's Plays, apart from their sheer entertainment value, is that they can help show us poorer players how we can play better. The use of mods that alter the actual balance, like the AI Improvement mod does, means the lessons learned aren't applicable to those of us who prefer to play the vanilla game.

I'm not counting the Extended mod, as that doesn't alter any actual mechanics.

My channel gets a lot of new players to the game. I try not to go too nuts on mods as most of the new people are trying to get a grasp on the core game itself. The Extended Mod is perfect because, as you said, it doesn't alter any of the core mechanics - any tips or techniques translate perfectly from this mod to vanilla games.

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 200
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/11/2014 4:13:44 PM   
Cauldyth

Plus, everyone should be using the Extended mod, it's just that good! I use it, but still consider myself to be playing vanilla.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 201
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/12/2014 12:58:45 PM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: StarLab
quote:

My channel gets a lot of new players to the game. I try not to go too nuts on mods as most of the new people are trying to get a grasp on the core game itself. The Extended Mod is perfect because, as you said, it doesn't alter any of the core mechanics - any tips or techniques translate perfectly from this mod to vanilla games.

Fair enough. One clarification though, the AI Improvement Mod does little to change the mechanics for a human player (unless you count a few small changes to the Tech Tree). What it does is improve the AI. More powerful ships. More focused researched. Better exploration etc. So it may require a human player to adjust their strategy. For example it's far more difficult to use mass Wonders because the AI actually targets them. But should mass Wonders have been possible in the first place?

The best pitch I can provide is that you'll have cooler battles with the Improved AI in the videos. The screenshots at the bottom of this post all have aspects you will never see with Vanilla.

Anyway, the videos are great, cheers.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 202
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/12/2014 1:29:16 PM   
StarLab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: StarLab
quote:

Fair enough. One clarification though, the AI Improvement Mod does little to change the mechanics for a human player (unless you count a few small changes to the Tech Tree). What it does is improve the AI. More powerful ships. More focused researched. Better exploration etc. So it may require a human player to adjust their strategy. For example it's far more difficult to use mass Wonders because the AI actually targets them. But should mass Wonders have been possible in the first place?

The best pitch I can provide is that you'll have cooler battles with the Improved AI in the videos. The screenshots at the bottom of this post all have aspects you will never see with Vanilla.

Anyway, the videos are great, cheers.

I've played your mod recently and I certainly get my butt kicked and handed back to me more often than not. Good job there!

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 203
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/12/2014 6:20:50 PM   
Cauldyth

Not to derail this thread too much, but I actually prefer the somewhat unbalanced tech tree of the vanilla game. I like that some weapon paths are suboptimal, and that some races are hardwired to follow those paths anyway. I like that, as a result, certain races will often end up being easy prey for certain other races. It adds some nice asymmetry to the game.

Increasing the difficulty can then be a simple matter of playing one of those disadvantaged races (and committing to following their tech preferences), or allying with one of them and trying to keep them afloat, etc. Paradox games have convinced me of the merits of unbalanced games.

A "pure" AI mod that just optimizes the AI within the existing framework would be very welcome, but I suspect there aren't a lot of people that agree with me.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 204
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/12/2014 7:57:24 PM   
johanwanderer

quote:

A "pure" AI mod that just optimizes the AI within the existing framework would be very welcome, but I suspect there aren't a lot of people that agree with me.

... which is why we have lots and lots of Mods to choose from. Choose being the operative word :)

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 205
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/12/2014 8:38:29 PM   
Antiscamp

quote:

Not to derail this thread too much, but I actually prefer the somewhat unbalanced tech tree of the vanilla game. I like that some weapon paths are suboptimal, and that some races are hardwired to follow those paths anyway. I like that, as a result, certain races will often end up being easy prey for certain other races. It adds some nice asymmetry to the game.

Increasing the difficulty can then be a simple matter of playing one of those disadvantaged races (and committing to following their tech preferences), or allying with one of them and trying to keep them afloat, etc. Paradox games have convinced me of the merits of unbalanced games.

I agree. I think the assymetry (that's a great word for it!) and lack of balance between the empires is really interesting and really creates a game that's not just about winning and doing the world conquest thing like in Civilization, but also about enjoying all the little things that are going on all around. Back in the day I created a mod for Civilization 4, "Fairy Tale", where I tried to play on this assymetry and apply it to Civ4. I made some civs really overpowered and some very weak and hard to play. It created some really interesting games where sometimes, those weak civs could actually surprise and become mega powers. Then I also found the Paradox games and, well, Distant Worlds as well. Distant Worlds does this assymetry the absolute best.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 206
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/13/2014 12:06:21 AM   
Icemania

quote:

It's a question of degree.

Even with the weapon balancing some paths remain sub-optimal. Rail Guns are an example, they become very weak late game and in mid-game it's a slog. But I didn't want them to be so far out of balance that some weapons were essentially useless throughout the entire game. Part of the idea was to use more of the Tech Tree in-game. In Vanilla, just a couple of weapons dominate the landscape and a number of weapons are extremely rarely used. They put the effort in to develop all these weapons so personally I'd like see them used!

With Energy Research, every race follows the Vanilla theme (e.g. Efficiency/Power/Balanced/Speed), just with a better research focus ... even if it's sub-optimal for that weapon/race.

So if you consider the races in the Extended AI Improvement Mod that use Torpedoes:

1. Some use Point Blank tactics while others use All Weapons tactics
2. There is a mix of Efficiency/Power/Balanced/Speed research focus
3. Some mix with Fighters/Bombers
4. Some never flee while others flee at 20% Shields
5. Some do more Weapons Research while others do more High Tech Research
6. Some focus on Science Wonders / Academies and others apply a mix of other approaches

If I was going for fully optimal there would not be enhanced variety in the races using exactly the same weapon.

Now if you want to apply Vanilla Weapons damage, that is trivial, just reverse the changes in Research.txt and Components.txt as specified in the Weapons Balancing thread.

Happy to continue this in the AI Improvement Mod thread.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 9/13/2014 5:00:21 AM >

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 207
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/13/2014 3:37:35 AM   
Tophat1815

What you all said..............

So DAS what are you going to do next? and who is the next returning guest?

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 208
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/14/2014 11:02:44 AM   
Blackstork

Want to put my five cents in. I am watching your game and i like series very much.

1. Icemania's AI mod is must have. I really cant imagine game without it right now, so much improvement it brings. It does not gamechanging changes - the tactics are same, just it places right things in right places. If you want to show really challenging gameplay to subscribers you should try AI mod. Its not a mod, its semi-official upgrade patch. I myself will be much more interested in your series if it will contain AI mod upgrade at least, its optimization of totally uneffective vanilla AI, and big upgrade to challenge and replayability of the game.
2. The vanilla game is ok and so, but its been around for long, and there are really complex and nice projects going around. Even with them gameplay may alter abit, but the principals of DW:U engine will remain the same. Exposuring modded content of DW:U will do good both for:
- DW:U as a game - people will see that there aviable improvements, more polished art, more diverse content aviable, and that is actually one of big additional values to the game - and many potential buyers do not realize it
- for mods and modders who develop really complex content which really improves the game/game's experience by unmeasurable amount (even if they change things, i think the best "good" thing the streamers could do to the DW/DW community is to show how diverse/different this game is, and how creative its modding community is, showcasing different mods.)
- to themselves since they will interest Trekkies if they will stream StarTrek mod, WH fans if they stream WH mod, fans of Diversification and ultimate immersive experience if they will stream future megamod we working on, and such showcases may bring more buyers/people to the game, which wont be something of interest for them by default in its vanilla state.

Cheers!

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 9/14/2014 12:07:49 PM >

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 209
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 9/15/2014 10:00:27 AM   
Tophat1815

Is Das on vacation or have his computer problems not been resolved? Haven't seen him around for 10 days or so.

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: YouTube Collaborative Series Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI