Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Max amount of races?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Max amount of races? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Max amount of races? - 6/4/2014 3:32:18 AM   
Justtheguybob

Right now I have 46 races and I am wondering if there is a cap? Or a point where I should stop because of problems?

I see that it says 50 it looks like but I started getting an error at 46 and made sure everything was proper which takes my custom family ship designs to 50.

< Message edited by Justtheguybob -- 6/4/2014 4:34:08 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/4/2014 3:34:33 AM   
tjhkkr

I think 50 is about the most. Elliot said that back in Revenge of the Shakturi.

What kind of error?

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Justtheguybob)
Post #: 2
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/4/2014 3:36:25 AM   
Justtheguybob

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

I think 50 is about the most. Elliot said that back in Revenge of the Shakturi.

What kind of error?

its a long one when I tried to start a game. It does not appear in the code file instead it shows me this
if I run a default theme it seems to work with no problem making me think I cannot have 50 unique family ships.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Image original)
at DistantWorlds.Main.cqFdXIZACI()
at DistantWorlds.Main.sTZiZU05yd()
at DistantWorlds.Main.Ignite(Game game, String currentFileName)
at DistantWorlds.Start.yV0WSqMNvM(Game )
at DistantWorlds.Start.VJeaVtWA9d(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at DistantWorlds.Controls.GlassButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at DistantWorlds.Controls.GlassButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18444 built by: FX451RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
_
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
DistantWorlds
Assembly Version: 1.9.5.1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
DistantWorlds.Controls
DistantWorlds.Types
Microsoft.Xna.Framework
Win32 Version: 4.0.30901.0 built by: xnabldr
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/Microsoft.Xna.Framework/v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553/Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll
Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound
Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.dll
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics
Win32 Version: 4.0.30901.0 built by: xnabldr
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553/Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll
System.Deployment
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
AxInterop.WMPLib
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Distant%20Worlds%20Universe/AxInterop.WMPLib.DLL
Interop.WMPLib
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Distant%20Worlds%20Universe/Interop.WMPLib.DLL
DW_Steam
Assembly Version: 1.0.5257.18237
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Distant%20Worlds%20Universe/DW_Steam.DLL
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 11.0.50938.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Management
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
PresentationCore
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/PresentationCore/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationCore.dll
WindowsBase
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/WindowsBase/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/WindowsBase.dll
Microsoft.DirectX
Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

< Message edited by Justtheguybob -- 6/4/2014 4:40:19 AM >

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 3
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/4/2014 5:04:20 AM   
tjhkkr

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
I am thinking this is not because the number of races.
I am guessing one of these ship families is missing a ship type that the game is expecting OR you have a misspelling of a ship type.

Let me give two examples of what I mean.
It is looking for a passengership.png file and it is not in the directory
-or-
One of the ships is misspelled passangership.png

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
Please look through your ship families and check for either a missing file or a misspelled filed name...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Post #: 4
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/4/2014 7:37:50 AM   
Justtheguybob

Well I did what you said I found a mis spelling in the race bias the new race had an S at the end... However a new problem has emerged.. I really checked hard on my other files and it all looks right

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I had too many ship families. Once I renamed my last new race to family0 it worked fine and loaded up.

However I am now getting this CTD (Listed below)
5:56:23 AM Wednesday, June 04, 2014

at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.GenerateAutomationMessageInvadeIndependent(Habitat habitat, ShipGroup invasionFleet)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.InvadeUnwillingColonizationTargets(Galaxy galaxy)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.DoTasks()
at DistantWorlds.Main.noKhypmXoaiMnHGPF9A(Object )
at DistantWorlds.Main.Cc1isZQBKC(Object )

--- COMPLETE ---

< Message edited by Justtheguybob -- 6/5/2014 5:13:45 AM >

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 5
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/4/2014 2:22:32 PM   
tjhkkr

I still think it is looking for something (and by all appearances it appears to be an image file the system cannot find) that it cannot find, and that is why it is blowing up.

Okay, check your races and make sure you have a race image for every new race you have in your races folder.
PictureIndex ;7
That should have a race image corresponding to the Picture index.
race_7.png

I honestly do not think it is the number of races... that would come up with an error like 'out of memory' or 'out of string space'.
Now I am NOT THE BE-ALL and End-all, but I was once in a long time ago and galaxy far, far away, a crack programming troubleshooter. So I honestly think I have the right scent on this... but I could be wrong...

Post #: 6
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/5/2014 2:40:25 AM   
Inawordyes

It would be a good idea, too, to check the RaceBiases.txt file, as I got an error message while trying to add in new races myself and discovered that I either forgot a comma on one line or accidentally used periods instead when putting in the values. If all else fails, though, try checking in with Tampa_Gamer's Instruction thread on adding your own races and going through the steps to see if you can find something you missed or an error in one of the files that could be causing your crash.

Distant Races

The self-titled Crown Prince of Crazy Plans.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 7
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/5/2014 4:02:05 AM   
Justtheguybob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Inawordyes

It would be a good idea, too, to check the RaceBiases.txt file, as I got an error message while trying to add in new races myself and discovered that I either forgot a comma on one line or accidentally used periods instead when putting in the values. If all else fails, though, try checking in with Tampa_Gamer's Instruction thread on adding your own races and going through the steps to see if you can find something you missed or an error in one of the files that could be causing your crash.

ive added many races with no issue. The problem is just the last one and as I said I already looked through the racebias and its fine. But thanks for your suggestion any other suggestions?

(in reply to Inawordyes)
Post #: 8
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/5/2014 4:03:18 AM   
Justtheguybob

quote:

I still think it is looking for something (and by all appearances it appears to be an image file the system cannot find) that it cannot find, and that is why it is blowing up.

Okay, check your races and make sure you have a race image for every new race you have in your races folder.
PictureIndex ;7
That should have a race image corresponding to the Picture index.
race_7.png

I honestly do not think it is the number of races... that would come up with an error like 'out of memory' or 'out of string space'.
Now I am NOT THE BE-ALL and End-all, but I was once in a long time ago and galaxy far, far away, a crack programming troubleshooter. So I honestly think I have the right scent on this... but I could be wrong...

I checked all my image files and only ONE THING I saw was one had a R capital instead of lower case does this matter?

(I changed it to a lowercase going to test but this might take some time as it is not as often)

I Also tried putting back in shipfamily 50
and got this error again so I am pretty sure you cant have a 50 or higher but if you want you can test this fairly easily just fiddle with one of the pre existing races files; let me know if it works for you ( I tried this myself and got a different error I replaced the zenox family that ussualy is 10 I changed the 10 to a 50 in both race and family10 to family50 and it broke it

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, Int

this is the error (below) I get if I replace the name to 50 on the default theme

---------------------------
Error while starting a new game
There was an error while attempting to start a new game. If you are using a theme, please revert to the default Distant Worlds theme and try again

Error Details:

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.

Parameter name: index

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()

at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.CalculateResourceLevel(Resource resource, Habitat colony, Boolean isMiningStation, Boolean isIndependent, Boolean isCriticalResource, Int32 fleetFuelAmount)

at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.CheckAndOrderResource(Habitat colony, OrderList colonyOrders, BuiltObject colonySpacePort, Resource resource, Boolean isCriticalResource, Int32 fleetFuelAmount)

at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.MaintainColonyCriticalResourceLevels(BuiltObject spacePort, Habitat colony)

at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.EvaluateColonyVariables(Galaxy galaxy, Double timePassed)

at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.DoTasks()

at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.GenerateEmpire(Galaxy galaxy, Boolean isPlayerEmpire, String empireName, Habitat capital, Race race, Int32 designPictureFamilyIndex, Int32 governmentId, Double homeSystemFactor, String homeSystemDescription, Int32 age, Double techLevel, Double corruptionMultiplier, Double& expansion, GameOptions gameOptions, VictoryConditions globalVictoryConditions, Double& actualTechLevel)

at DistantWorlds.Start.U6IWRGOOo5(GalaxyShape , Int32 , Int32 , Boolean , Double , Int32 , Double , Double , Int32 , Double , Double , Int32 , Double , EmpireStart , EmpireStartList , VictoryConditions , EmpireVictoryConditions , EmpireVictoryConditions , Boolean , Boolean , GameStartResets )
OK

Am I supposed to be changing more then just the race file with this line

DesignsPictureFamilyIndex ;50

and renaming the ship family folder to family50 (of course with all the proper ships etc in there)

??

The good news though is it seems to be fixed aside from the family50 problem if we can figure out this last problem you will be my hero :) I just want to know if it is a hardcap or if I am messing something up somehow

< Message edited by Justtheguybob -- 6/5/2014 5:56:12 AM >

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 9
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/5/2014 6:00:40 AM   
Inawordyes

Are you modding a theme or the actual files? If you're adding the family ship files to the regular images/ui/ships folder, that may be the source of your trouble. If not, I only discovered this shortly before Universe came out so I wouldn't be the one to answer on modding matters, haha.

Distant Races

Post #: 10
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/5/2014 10:30:06 AM   
Justtheguybob

quote:

Are you modding a theme or the actual files? If you're adding the family ship files to the regular images/ui/ships folder, that may be the source of your trouble. If not, I only discovered this shortly before Universe came out so I wouldn't be the one to answer on modding matters, haha.

I am adding them to the theme folder not the regular one (I have a fairly big theme mod I am using and all of a sudden it exploded with problems had nothing before adding this last race)

< Message edited by Justtheguybob -- 6/5/2014 11:30:51 AM >

(in reply to Inawordyes)
Post #: 11
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/5/2014 5:12:55 PM   
tjhkkr

I checked all my image files and only ONE THING I saw was one had a R capital instead of lower case does this matter?

You are correct; it should not matter one iota...

this is the error (below) I get if I replace the name to 50 on the default theme
Do not do this on the default them, because then it assumes there are 50 objects in the default theme.
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
When you see the term collection, it means all the objects within the mod.
This is telling you that you are calling for an object (some part of the collection), and it cannot find it.

There is a painful way to do this...
Copy your WHOLE mode into a new mod, fill it with all stuff from the base game you know is good. Start up the game to make sure it is working, and if it, and slowly replace stuff in your test mod with stuff from your mod that is currently struggling...

Post #: 12
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/5/2014 9:55:54 PM   
AnddyiRaynor

I don't see any family50 in that troublesome theme folder you posted but perhaps it is family49 with it's frigate which has a long line for it's engines that are perhaps to big?

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 13
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/5/2014 10:02:41 PM   
fierceking

I think you can't name it 50 because the numbering system starts at 0.

So in your case it would be 0-49 for 50 empires. Ship images start at folder family0

(in reply to AnddyiRaynor)
Post #: 14
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/6/2014 5:04:13 AM   
Justtheguybob

quote:

ORIGINAL: AnddyiRaynor

I don't see any family50 in that troublesome theme folder you posted but perhaps it is family49 with it's frigate which has a long line for it's engines that are perhaps to big?

I got rid of it for that test. I put it back in after fixing the other problem. and got confirmation from a dev that 50 is a no go.

(in reply to AnddyiRaynor)
Post #: 15
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/6/2014 5:04:57 AM   
Justtheguybob

quote:

ORIGINAL: fierceking

I think you can't name it 50 because the numbering system starts at 0.

So in your case it would be 0-49 for 50 empires. Ship images start at folder family0

correct but that would replace the default 0 which is an original race. I just deleted the atuuk lol

(in reply to fierceking)
Post #: 16
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/6/2014 5:06:15 AM   
Justtheguybob

quote:

You are correct; it should not matter one iota...

Do not do this on the default them, because then it assumes there are 50 objects in the default theme.
When you see the term collection, it means all the objects within the mod.
This is telling you that you are calling for an object (some part of the collection), and it cannot find it.

There is a painful way to do this...
Copy your WHOLE mode into a new mod, fill it with all stuff from the base game you know is good. Start up the game to make sure it is working, and if it, and slowly replace stuff in your test mod with stuff from your mod that is currently struggling...

thanks for your patience going to have to try this Iguess

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 17
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/6/2014 5:51:51 AM   
Inawordyes

Huh, so I have the same number of races in my game currently as you do yours (46), and I was getting crashes every so often but didn't think much of them because I didn't know where they were coming from. But I connected a few dots from a game earlier today and the above posts and decided to test the most recently-added race, which held the family50 shipset. I don't know why I never tested them out by playing a game as them, but it's a no-go; there can be probably be more than 50 races, but there can't be more than 50 shipsets (00-49), which is kind of a bummer, haha. I got the same error as you did, so your problem is the most likely the family50 shipset, and as you said you tested the game without it and it worked until you put it back in.

Distant Races

Post #: 18
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/6/2014 10:24:59 AM   
Justtheguybob

quote:

Huh, so I have the same number of races in my game currently as you do yours (46), and I was getting crashes every so often but didn't think much of them because I didn't know where they were coming from. But I connected a few dots from a game earlier today and the above posts and decided to test the most recently-added race, which held the family50 shipset. I don't know why I never tested them out by playing a game as them, but it's a no-go; there can be probably be more than 50 races, but there can't be more than 50 shipsets (00-49), which is kind of a bummer, haha. I got the same error as you did, so your problem is the most likely the family50 shipset, and as you said you tested the game without it and it worked until you put it back in.

lol yeah, I asked a dev they said 50 ship families was cap shortly after my test. So that is kinda lame but hey I guess you have to cap it off at some point. However after doing more testing for crashes I have been encountering this new one in the default theme (I figure if I can get the normal default theme to play with no issues then I will continue to try to mod but if not I will hold off) And this happened after about 4 hours of play time on full auto at 4x (I left it running over night) When I loaded the game up the last auto save seemed to be ok and passed the part but still it was towards the end of the auto save every 10 minutes so you would have lost about 8 minutes worth of work I usually was never able to play for 4 hours though without crashing in a custom theme so thats a + atleast. any advise on this one? (I saw a different EMP thread but my system is too beast to be running out of memory , 3970x cpu @ 4.4 GhZ 64 bit windows 7 and 16 gb ram with sli 780 @ 3gb VRam (See attachment for dxdiag)

I suppose this new one could be a memory leak since it seems like it happened because I left it running for so long but I am unsure (4 hours)

Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.9.5.1

4:45:27 AM Friday, June 06, 2014

System.InvalidOperationException: Object is currently in use elsewhere.
at System.Drawing.Image.get_RawFormat()
at System.Drawing.Graphics.IgnoreMetafileErrors(Image image, Int32& errorStatus)
at System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage(Image image, RectangleF destRect, RectangleF srcRect, GraphicsUnit srcUnit)
at DistantWorlds.Controls.MainView.CVx2BFfm9IxqymEnTT4U(Object , Object , RectangleF , RectangleF , GraphicsUnit )
at DistantWorlds.Controls.MainView.PrepareGalaxyBackdrop()
at DistantWorlds.Controls.MainView.rXIhcoHW8QE(Graphics , SpriteBatch , Texture2D )
at DistantWorlds.Controls.MainView.DrawMainViewXna()
at DistantWorlds.Main.ProgramLoop()

--- COMPLETE ---

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Justtheguybob -- 6/6/2014 11:27:25 AM >

(in reply to Inawordyes)
Post #: 19
RE: Max amount of races? - 6/7/2014 1:02:35 PM   
Solarius Scorch

I wonder why it was even capped. I would understand if it was 64, since that would point to an architectural issue, but 50? That's just weird.

Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Max amount of races? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI