Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Soon to be newbie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Soon to be newbie Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soon to be newbie - 6/8/2014 10:51:05 PM   
boerkameel

Hi there,

Always on the lookout for strategic and tactical "thinking man" games, with a focus on TB RPG and tactics (think original Fallouts, Jagged Alliance, Civilization, ...), I stumbled upon reviews of this game.

While it might not fit into the former game examples, I do have some fond memories of EVE online, Sword of the Stars, Sins of a Solar Empire, Gal Civ, Homeworld ... Come to think of it, I have played quite some 4x / space sim games.
It fits into my sci fi passion, I guess.

From the reviews, it seems this game circumvents one of my biggest concerns with the game type: allowing to skip micromanagement and grinding at later playthrough stages, by using very good AI. Sounds promising.

After researching some more and watching some videos, I seem to be sold... If my bank wasn't acting up now (I guess sun-mon night is scheduled downtime), I'd be downloading right now. So, instead, I chose to come to the boards, remember I have a log-in from playing Team Assault 2y ago, and wanted to say "hi".
I'm assuming I'm going to need to read up on the knowledge you veterans shared over here a lot, so a pre-emptive thanks for that is in order :)

Can someone point me in the right direction, where do you start as a noob? I watched "splat" or "DAS24680" 's How To Play videos, including basic diplomacy, fleet and races. Again, if my online bank was working properly, I'd be trying it out in real-time now, I usually figure it out as I go along and google stuff when necessary. I'm already sold to the game and the gaming concept, I'd like to dig into optimal strategy for beginners.

< Message edited by boerkameel -- 6/8/2014 11:52:49 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Soon to be newbie - 6/8/2014 11:03:47 PM   
boerkameel

Never mind the bank comment, I've purchased it through the Slitherine pages (7€ cheaper then on Steam), redeemed my Steam key, and am now downloading. 2 min remaining... Yay, can't wait :D

(in reply to boerkameel)
Post #: 2
RE: Soon to be newbie - 6/8/2014 11:22:24 PM   
Locarnus

The guide to guides is a good starting point:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3497284

Basically there are 2 starting strategies.
1. Automate/suggest everything and watch and take over slowly
2. Start with nothing and learn from scratch after watching tutorials/lets play(custom game, pre warp, 250 stars, 6x6, few, distant, weak pirates)

It depends on your preference.

(in reply to boerkameel)
Post #: 3
RE: Soon to be newbie - 6/8/2014 11:36:51 PM   
Aeson

I'd suggest browsing the Guide to Guides (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2988049) and seeing if there's anything there that strikes you as interesting. You might also look to the 'How to play an Easy Introductory Game in the Age of Shadows' thread (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3333889). I don't really know that there are really any beginner's guides around, though.

I personally would suggest just jumping in to a new game on whatever settings you feel like (though don't put expansion/tech higher than 'young' when creating your and your opponent's empires, as otherwise you'll start out with too much stuff and it'll be a management headache), look through the different menus, and get an idea of what you'd like to manage yourself, what you'd like to automate, and what you'd like to have the advisors suggest (I would suggest that you should set as many things as you can to 'advisors make suggestions' when trying to decide how you'd like to automate things so that you can see what the computer would do were it given full control of this aspect of the game). Personally, I like to control the main part of the navy but create system defense fleets that get automated, I like to control taxes and troop recruitment, and I like to control ship (but not base) designs, and I leave diplomacy on 'suggest.' I typically automate colony improvements but don't allow the computer to automatically place regional capitols or the various troop structures; sometimes, I use 'advisors suggest' for colony improvements.

I would also suggest that at least in the early game you personally control colonization and mining station construction, and that you should strongly consider invading independents rather than sending a colony ship to invite them into the empire even if the independents are likely to join you (just be careful not to tank your reputation too badly by invading too many independents in too short a time period, as low reputation tends to cause a relations hit and that can lead to trade embargoes, blockades of your colonies, or wars with your neighbors, which can cause some problems and annoyances in the early stages of the game, and remains annoying in the later stages of the game). Pre-warp/Age of Shadows start is a little harder than normal start, and can lead to great strength disparities between factions due to when each empire gets around to developing hyperdrive (both because the event giving you access to hyperdrive tech can vary between 'really easy to get' and 'really hard to get,' depending on your luck - I once had it trigger on a moon orbiting the same gas giant my capitol orbited, which made it really easy to acquire, though most of the time it's on a planet on the other side of the system - and because different factions start off with different default explorer designs which have differing cruise speeds, and a faster explorer generally means you'll get the hyperdrive-enabling event faster). Pirates are also much more difficult to manage on a pre-warp start, as a pre-warp start generally allows them a much better shot at establishing themselves before any of the empires can really start fighting back, hunting the pirates down and exterminating them. Also be aware that the computer opponents tend to handle their empires better at lower levels of aggression; higher aggression settings get you more wars sooner, but they're generally wars against weaker opponents than you'd be facing on a lower-aggression game setting.

The above was for normal empires. For pirate empires, which are significantly more difficult to play than normal empires, your early game revolves around finding an independent colony or two to corrupt, or an empire willing to pay you off or which is weak enough that you can corrupt their colonies, as otherwise you have no reliable or steady source of income. Pre-warp/Age of Shadows is the easiest time period for the pirates, and I suspect that higher aggression levels will make it easier to play as a pirate, since it tends to keep the computer empires weaker. You'll also find that as a pirate your research rate is absolutely terrible, so build up those intelligence agents because, for all intents and purposes, your espionage bureau may as well be your research office, as the planetary empires will typically surpass your technology level before you've really gotten beyond the techs you started with. Pirates shouldn't attempt to contend directly with a planetary empire militarily, as maintaining those kinds of fleets just costs you too much money unless you've been really successful at corrupting worlds or have lots of money coming in through the various smuggling, attack, and defense missions or general raiding.

(in reply to boerkameel)
Post #: 4
RE: Soon to be newbie - 6/9/2014 12:06:15 AM   
Gregorovitch55

I started a couple of weeks ago by setting up the AI on what seemed reasonable settings, although I had no real idea what I was doing. I found it very confusing and unsatisfying because I didn't really understand what was going on or what decisions I could or should make. I restarted, set everything to manual, and worked through Timitheus guide. Things started to make sense gradually after that, both the mechanics of the game and the game play. I also got a lot more out watching some of Das and Larry's LPs again because I understood better what they were doing and why and picked up on a load of little things I hadn't really noticed before. Most importantly for me it was a lot more fun than watching the game play itself.

Now as I've progressed into mid-game on my third attempt the scale of things that have to be done is overwhelming and I am gradually looking at how best to automate certain things one at a time, asking questions here and checking what Larry and Das do.

if you work through Timotheas' guide I reckon you'll probably still be confused, but at least you'll know exactly what it is you are still confused about.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Soon to be newbie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI