Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/15/2014 9:54:18 AM   
Encircled

He said "Brit" as in British. Not quite sure our welsh, scottish, and Northern Irish cousins are supporting us!

Good game, probably deserved a draw but the difference was Pirlo. He's a bit good!

Think we might struggle now, as the we don't play well under pressure

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 91
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/15/2014 9:55:06 AM   
pharmy

Too bad Italy started with just one striker and I couldn't laugh for 90 minutes at the unfortunately name Immobile. Who did give an Inzaghi like born on offside performance for the 12 minutes he was on. And a good thing they faced the English, if it was the Brits, then Ramsey and Bales would have made for a very different result as those two can actually score quite reliably.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 92
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/15/2014 11:48:34 AM   
tocaff

The USA-Ghana match will need boats as it started raining in Natal during Mexico's win and hasn't stopped since. The best of drainage can't handle to downpours.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to pharmy)
Post #: 93
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/15/2014 3:09:14 PM   
Maglio

Just to Add my own grain of salt,

Coming from a country where football (The real one not the one they play in the US ) is almost a religion, we have great expectations for our team, and being on group B (The real and only group of death) is hardly encouraging, however wining with Australia and on the wake of the surprising beating the Dutch gave the Spaniards we are patiently waiting our match with the world champion on Wednesday .

I love the world cup, it brings the best of everyone, whole countries forget their internal disputes and join behind their 11 representatives, it’s quite inspiring.

“Tres barquichuelos dieron a los Reyes de España la posesión del Nuevo Mundo, estas cuatro tablas van a quitárselo”.

Bernardo O' Higgins, October 10th, 1818, while watching the Chilean first fleet getting underway.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 94
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/15/2014 3:51:19 PM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

The USA-Ghana match will need boats as it started raining in Natal during Mexico's win and hasn't stopped since. The best of drainage can't handle to downpours.

Actually, it can. I doubt that the Brazilians have done this, but the University of Georgia built their football field to handle draining up to 12 inches of rain per day. They started with a thick (2'? 3'?) layer of gravel under the dirt on top of which the grass sod was laid. Of course, it helps that the football field was built above a creek bed so that the water has a route for draining away once it has soaked through the gravel filter.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 95
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/15/2014 3:56:38 PM   
Cribtop

UT Austin has a similar system. Ironic given it never rains anymore in Texas.

I will agree England played much better than 2010. But I had high expectations for the young guns. Hodgson seemed to want to concede possession and try to counter with speed. However, IMHO conceding possession to a team like Italy plays into their hands. Like Spain and Arsenal, Italy want the ball. I thought pressing Pirlo and De Rossi might have worked better. Then again Pirlo IS amazing.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 96
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/15/2014 4:55:11 PM   
panzer cat

My dutch pbem opponent may not survive the weekend. They've beat spain, austrailia in womens field hockey and play for the mens title tody. I might need to find someone else to sink my fleet.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 97
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/15/2014 5:07:47 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maglio
Just to Add my own grain of salt,

Coming from a country where football (The real one not the one they play in the US ) is almost a religion, we have great expectations for our team, and being on group B (The real and only group of death) is hardly encouraging, however wining with Australia and on the wake of the surprising beating the Dutch gave the Spaniards we are patiently waiting our match with the world champion on Wednesday .

I love the world cup, it brings the best of everyone, whole countries forget their internal disputes and join behind their 11 representatives, it’s quite inspiring.

I'm from Puerto Varas. El grupo de la muerte nos debe respetar ahora. One down, and one more to go till we can get into el último grupo de 16. ¡ Vamos! Chile, ¡ Vamos! La Roja.

Saw Switzerland v Ecuador. A heartbreaking loss for Ecuador in the last 30 seconds. But saw some very good (spectacular on occasion) play from both sides. That was World Cup futbol. Kudos to Switzerland, sincere condolences to Ecuador.

This one is oh, so much better than that nonsense in 2010 in SA.

< Message edited by Symon -- 6/15/2014 7:35:37 PM >

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Maglio)
Post #: 98
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/16/2014 5:08:02 AM   
bradfordkay

"This one is oh, so much better than that nonsense in 2010 in SA. "

At least it is nowhere near as irritating to watch.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 99
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/16/2014 5:23:11 AM   
patrickl

The Germans are playing tonight. Surely they will overrun Portugal.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 100
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/16/2014 5:26:55 AM   
Cribtop

Watch Germany. They could be the instant favorites. Germany vs Netherlands final?

(in reply to patrickl)
Post #: 101
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/16/2014 10:22:44 AM   
pharmy

37 reasons why Andrea Pirlo is the world’s greatest living human man

http://babb.telegraph.co.uk/2014/06/37-reasons-why-andrea-pirlo-is-the-worlds-greatest-living-human-man/

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 102
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/16/2014 5:34:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Watch Germany. They could be the instant favorites. Germany vs Netherlands final?
warspite1

I'm going for an Argentina - Brazil final. But one never writes off ze Germans.... ever.

More to the point, the match taking place now must give the USA or Ghana a glimmer of hope for that runner-up spot?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 103
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/16/2014 7:03:49 PM   
Cribtop

Yes, red card plus awful game for Porto means a win tonight for either team gives a real chance, esp USA as we will benefit from the suspension in our next game. GO USA!

Still a longshot, but maybe a crack we can slip through.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 104
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/16/2014 7:21:10 PM   
margeorg

quote:

You should definitely play lottery :D .

Cheers
Martin

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 105
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/16/2014 7:26:14 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: icepharmy

Too bad Italy started with just one striker and I couldn't laugh for 90 minutes at the unfortunately name Immobile. Who did give an Inzaghi like born on offside performance for the 12 minutes he was on. And a good thing they faced the English, if it was the Brits, then Ramsey and Bales would have made for a very different result as those two can actually score quite reliably.

I'm not sure who or what is referred to there, but in Italian that could be taken as "the unmoved" or "he who is unbending like a rock".

(in reply to pharmy)
Post #: 106
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/16/2014 7:49:53 PM   
Bullwinkle58

International Immobiliare was the giant real estate firm in "Godfather Part III."

Ob "Princess Bride": "I do not think it means what you think it means."

The Moose

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 107
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/16/2014 7:53:42 PM   
tocaff

I know that the new stadium built in Sao Paulo has advanced drainage and heating systems, but even if you can drain away 12 inches of rain a day you'd only be falling behind as the tropical downpours can dump that much in an hour.

As far as anyone knows the match (game) is on.

Todd

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 108
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/16/2014 8:01:02 PM   
buutsy

"The Germans are playing tonight. Surely they will overrun Portugal."
Which they really did ( with a little help from the ref)

Go Germany

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 109
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/16/2014 8:35:47 PM   
pharmy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I'm not sure who or what is referred to there, but in Italian that could be taken as "the unmoved" or "he who is unbending like a rock".

He's a striker, not a defender. If I am correct in my analogy, in American he is a wide receiver or tight end, not a linebacker

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 110
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/16/2014 11:08:01 PM   
Cribtop

Dempsey - Yay!

Altidore -

(in reply to pharmy)
Post #: 111
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/17/2014 12:08:34 AM   
Cribtop

USA!!!!! USA!!!!!! USA!!!!!

What a match. Exhausting just to watch it. Brooks a storybook game and goal.

A big step toward what appeared unachievable, but injuries could sink us.

That German fellow with the spiky hair looks a pretty good coach right now.

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 6/17/2014 1:10:58 AM >

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 112
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/17/2014 12:48:13 AM   
obvert

Amazing game. Ghana completely outplayed the US, but they had chances they didn't finish and the US did with theirs. Amazing. So fun to watch in a bar in London full of Americans!

Ghana looked really good on the ball though, and so fast. They could give Germany a tough game. Passing by the US was poor, often too slow and too late, and they couldn't run onto a long ball as all of Ghana's defenders were faster than the US forwards. The US defense was good though.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 113
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/17/2014 1:01:47 AM   
Cribtop

Agreed on our passing. Bradley had one of his worst games in his US team history. However, IMHO Ghana put us under such pressure only to inexplicably flub in the final third. Wayward passes, shots and lack of creativity galore by the Black Stars in a game they should have won.

In fairness to US, they were dealt a terrible blow with Altidore and his hold up play going down. We were forced to improvise and really failed to relieve the pressure as a result.

Still, USA is never the best side, but always the gutsiest. Brooks "I am so overcome I can't get up" goal celebration was priceless, IMHO.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 114
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/17/2014 1:07:50 AM   
tocaff

YIPPEE!

Poor people in the city suffering from flooding...

Todd

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 115
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/17/2014 1:30:18 AM   
geofflambert

The US won something? A free trip to Canada with all the accoutrements? I know there's a lot of Americans dying for the chance to step from Detroit to Windsor. They just don't know if they're dying from something in Detroit or something from Windsor.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 116
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/17/2014 1:38:34 PM   
obvert

quote:

Agreed on our passing. Bradley had one of his worst games in his US team history. However, IMHO Ghana put us under such pressure only to inexplicably flub in the final third. Wayward passes, shots and lack of creativity galore by the Black Stars in a game they should have won.

In fairness to US, they were dealt a terrible blow with Altidore and his hold up play going down. We were forced to improvise and really failed to relieve the pressure as a result.

Still, USA is never the best side, but always the gutsiest. Brooks "I am so overcome I can't get up" goal celebration was priceless, IMHO.

A friend and I were watching, both Americans living in London, and we thought about what it is to be American. There was an American woman in the bar wearing a Ghana jersey and screaming at the TV relentlessly, berating anything the US did well, flipping off the refs, screaming often.

I can't say I've ever had the experience of seeing anyone from another nation actively rooting against and flipping off their own countrymen (or women). This seems nearly uniquely American, and rooted in the ethos of freedom of speech and expression, but something more than that as well. She had a similar gutsy, plucky attitude as the US players there on the screen, rooting for 'her Back Stars' in a bar full of Americans. Very interesting.

I agree Ghana blew a few sitters. Didn't finish the brilliant play that kept getting them forward again and again.

It was also interesting that Dempsey's 1' goal was from virtually the same spot as one of Rooney's muffed chances from the England-Italy match. No matter what else you do, it's all about finishing chances.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 117
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/17/2014 4:04:12 PM   
Symon

Very nice to see knowledgeable Americans commenting on the Cup.

Woof !! Must say I was pleasantly surprised. Gotta admit Ghana had the better game, but the net gods rule, yeah? Ok, then, Portugal and then Germany.

Meanwhile, Chile has Spain and then the Netherlands. Jeez Louize, who figures out the groups anyway? And how much are they paid?

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 118
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/17/2014 6:21:31 PM   
tocaff

Portugal is weaker than most people realize and Pepe is suspended for the red card so the US has a window of opportunity as Germany is just to strong to expect points from.

Todd

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 119
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/17/2014 9:05:53 PM   
Encircled

Mexico are a very, very good side. Could do well

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI