Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/17/2014 11:46:37 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled
Mexico are a very, very good side. Could do well

I kinda like Mexico. They're scrappy. They were pretty sloppy against Brazil, but Ochoa was his usual hustling self. They played good enough defense to hold the tie, though. I don't think they are a great side, but they got some cojones.

< Message edited by Symon -- 6/18/2014 12:47:39 AM >

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 121
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 12:23:43 AM   
Cribtop

Yes, a great result for Mexico. Brazil didn't look awful and average goalkeeping for Mexico leads to a 2-0 game or so, but El Tri looks very different from just a few months ago (in a good way).

US v. Portugal is a "must draw" for us (not that I'd kick a win out of bed). As tocaff says, a window. The plan vs Germany realistically is to limit reductions in our goal differential. At least against them I have a decent chance to watch Arsenal players administer the blow.

Chile/Spain will be fascinating. So much reason for both to need that one.

For all my hopes for England at the start, Uruguay/England could be painful. Given their respective histories, which side is more likely to bounce back? Which one is more likely to implode? I love the young guys, but the "gut" answer to those questions is not encouraging for this 3 Lions fan. There is a path, however. If England can overcome their mental demons, Sterling & Co racing past the pace-challenged Uruguayan center backs could be the key to 3 points.

Shaping up to be a wonderful Cup.

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 6/18/2014 1:26:43 AM >

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 122
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 9:14:39 AM   
obvert

Watched the Mexico-Brazil match. Mexico didn't generate as many chances, but had some good shots on goal that required decent keeping. Brazil was unlucky on those headers that the Mexican keeper was right there. He did well all game though.

Belgium looked good.

Spain-Chile tonight should be fun. See if Spain can bounce back.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 123
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 9:31:14 AM   
warspite1

Can't call the England - Uruguay game. It sounds like Rooney will play as No.10 which, if England are to play him, is the role he needs to be in.

So many questions though, not least, how fit is Suarez to play? Also, as Gus Poyet himself admitted, Uruguay are masters at the art of dirty tricks - will they target Wayne Rooney? Will Suarez get up to his diving shenanigans?

One thing's for sure - it ain't going to be a dull game

Edit: grammar

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/18/2014 10:36:51 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 124
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 9:39:19 AM   
warspite1

Yes, Spain-Chile should be really interesting. Big questions: Did Spain just suffer a really bad off-night? and/or are Holland that good? and/or has Spain's period of dominance with this group of players come to an end?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 125
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 2:17:52 PM   
Cribtop

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Can't call the England - Uruguay game. It sounds like Rooney will play as No.10 which, if England are to play him, is the role he needs to be in.

So many questions though, not least, how fit is Suarez to play? Also, as Gus Poyet himself admitted, Uruguay are masters at the art of dirty tricks - will they target Wayne Rooney? Will Suarez get up to his diving shenanigans?

Will Suarez dive? Will the Sun rise in the East? He's so talented but he and Robben are the world dive leaders, IMHO.

I think Spain/Chile is fascinating for many reasons, but especially the one you cite. Is Holland really that good? If so, and with Brazil frankly looking a little short on ideas over two matches, hmmm.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 126
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 4:42:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Will Suarez dive? Will the Sun rise in the East? He's so talented but he and Robben are the world dive leaders, IMHO.

I think Spain/Chile is fascinating for many reasons, but especially the one you cite. Is Holland really that good? If so, and with Brazil frankly looking a little short on ideas over two matches, hmmm.
warspite1

If they are then, on the showing of this first half, Australia are going to be World Champions!

Australia 1-1 Holland

Holland a little on the ropes here coming up to half time.....

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 127
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 4:52:43 PM   
Symon

quote:

Yes, a great result for Mexico. Brazil didn't look awful and average goalkeeping for Mexico leads to a 2-0 game or so, but El Tri looks very different from just a few months ago (in a good way).

US v. Portugal is a "must draw" for us (not that I'd kick a win out of bed). As tocaff says, a window. The plan vs Germany realistically is to limit reductions in our goal differential. At least against them I have a decent chance to watch Arsenal players administer the blow.

For all my hopes for England at the start, Uruguay/England could be painful. Given their respective histories, which side is more likely to bounce back? Which one is more likely to implode? I love the young guys, but the "gut" answer to those questions is not encouraging for this 3 Lions fan. There is a path, however. If England can overcome their mental demons, Sterling & Co racing past the pace-challenged Uruguayan center backs could be the key to 3 points.

What you say is pretty smart. You are not the usual Texican are you? My goodness, a righteous man! Chile/Spain will be beyond fascinating. It has to happen for us.

< Message edited by Symon -- 6/18/2014 5:53:37 PM >

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 128
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 4:58:47 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

quote:

What you say is pretty smart. You are not the usual Texican are you? My goodness, a righteous man! Chile/Spain will be beyond fascinating. It has to happen for us.
warspite1

Stop blowing smoke up his bottom Symon - he's a dastardly gooner

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 129
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 5:27:03 PM   
Cribtop

Hehe, The Socceroos came to play today. Now 2-2 with both equalizers scored before the original scoring team has a chance to finish celebrating. Cahill volley a wonderstrike. Just a letdown by the Dutch or a game plan others can use? Hard to say.

I am indeed unusual for an American in that I love the game and have watched since a young age. I think it comes from 3 things. 1) I played for many years, 2) I visited Europe often and absorbed the love and drama of football, and 3) the options to watch in the US are really increasing. We can now watch every Premier League game on TV live for example. I especially prefer to watch the games where the mighty Gunners go up against that side with the silly bird logo. On a club note, I think the Community Shield could actually matter to Arsenal. A chance to improve form vs one of the top sides in a "no pressure" game.

Chile/Spain is just going to rock. My advice to your side Symon is to press them hard and go for an early goal. Spain's psyche has to be fragile right now. Finally, I have to say the Aussies have looked pretty good so far through two matches after the disaster start against Chile. They are outmatched in quality but played hard and showed some flashes.

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 6/18/2014 6:35:34 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 130
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 5:37:56 PM   
Cribtop

Oops, there they go again. This just in - Robben and Van Persie are good & in form. RvP an Arsenal traitor but it's hard for me to hate him. OK, maybe a little.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 131
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 5:39:51 PM   
JocMeister

I don´t think Holland impresses much against Australia TBH.

Cahills goal. OMG!

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 132
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 5:56:40 PM   
warspite1

Australia 2-3 Holland

Hard luck Australia - quality, gutsy performance

Agree Cahill's goal will be a contender for the goal of the tournament

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 133
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 7:57:53 PM   
Cribtop

So Symon...

HAPPY MUCH!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Chile 2 - 0 Spain HT

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 6/18/2014 9:02:02 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 134
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 8:29:31 PM   
Symon

Thought it was a good game. Thought Spain was kinda winpy. Chile played like they usually do but they were a lot deeper than normal. Spain got crowded out a lot, while Chile was almost always clear. Good play on both sides, but 17 million Chileans jumping up and down might be making the earth move a little bit.

Oh, yeah, I'm a very happy camper. Have to go to church and do my candles. And I owe La Roja a stations of the cross. Can't remember being this proud of Chile since ... Damn, I'm really proud of Chile.

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 135
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 8:54:00 PM   
Cribtop

They are heading on, Spain heading home. Only question now is can they win the Group. Great stuff!

PS - I wonder if Vegas had a prop bet for Spain being eliminated before the US? If so, I wonder what the odds were, and if anyone placed a bet. If so, they are very happy tonight too.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 136
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 9:12:19 PM   
Encircled

Brazil won't be looking forward to either Chile or Holland at this rate.

I reckon I'll be feeling about as well as the Spanish fans by this time tomorrow.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 137
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 9:36:47 PM   
buutsy

Well played Chile !
What a fighting spirit !
The australians in need of another goalie, that was a close game too !
So far fantastic world cup this

Edit says: typo

< Message edited by buutsy -- 6/18/2014 10:37:56 PM >

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 138
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 10:20:58 PM   
Maglio

CHI - CHI - CHI - LE - LE - LE - VIVA CHILE MIE.....

I´m speechless.

We actually beat the world champion and are already classified!!!

“Tres barquichuelos dieron a los Reyes de España la posesión del Nuevo Mundo, estas cuatro tablas van a quitárselo”.

Bernardo O' Higgins, October 10th, 1818, while watching the Chilean first fleet getting underway.

(in reply to buutsy)
Post #: 139
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 10:25:08 PM   
Maglio

quote:

They are heading on, Spain heading home. Only question now is can they win the Group. Great stuff!

PS - I wonder if Vegas had a prop bet for Spain being eliminated before the US? If so, I wonder what the odds were, and if anyone placed a bet. If so, they are very happy tonight too.

I can remember only once to be as proud, it was when the 33 MINEROS got out!!

However our next rival is Holland...and that looks tough.

“Tres barquichuelos dieron a los Reyes de España la posesión del Nuevo Mundo, estas cuatro tablas van a quitárselo”.

Bernardo O' Higgins, October 10th, 1818, while watching the Chilean first fleet getting underway.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 140
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/18/2014 11:15:11 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Congrats to Chile, 2 amazing games!
I bet tonight's going to be big party

(in reply to Maglio)
Post #: 141
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/19/2014 1:05:49 AM   
Cribtop

Y'all should be proud. Two games against scrappy and then against quality and Chile prevailed without much of a sweat. The miners saga was an awesome moment. We were all Chileans that day.

Australia should not go home sad, however. They fought hard and went down swinging. Just need a little more quality and they can compete.

I fear for England tomorrow but will stand with them as my ancestral homeland (last name Rogers).

I fear to hope for the USA but have a good feeling. Set up perfectly against shorthanded Portugal with full knowledge of what we need since Germany-Ghana is the day before.

A Colombian friend of mine is excited but he made a very good point: "You know, Italy is just hanging around this tournament and could swoop down at any moment." Hmmm.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 142
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/19/2014 9:50:41 AM   
obvert

It's been a fantastic tournament so far. Loved that Australia-Netherlands game. Sat down after a long hot day in London and had a pint with a bunch of just off work types and it was fun and festive, lots of shouting at the TV and whops for both sides. Quality pluck from the Aussies, and that Cahill goal is right there with Van Persie's from the Spain game.

Looking forward to tonight, but England has to prove something. Finish!! Heading to a pub with friends, and if it's a loss it'll be pretty depressing. Have to do it though.

Haven't seen Chile-Spain highlights yet, but wow, what a result.

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/19/2014 12:46:05 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 143
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/19/2014 10:10:14 AM   
obvert

PS - In the building where I live there are England, Brazil, Mexico, France and Ghanaian flags in the windows!

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/19/2014 11:12:29 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 144
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/19/2014 10:33:53 AM   
patrickl

I think England will have a tough time playing Uruguay tonight.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 145
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/19/2014 10:39:34 AM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

PS - In the building where I live there are England, Brazil, Mexico, France and Ghanaian flags in the windows!

Nice mix

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 146
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/19/2014 11:47:11 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Nice mix

The Ghanaian one I hadn't seen, but my fiancé knew it because one of her friends used to date a Ghanaian man. Cool.

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 147
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/19/2014 5:33:51 PM   
Symon

quote:

Y'all should be proud. Two games against scrappy and then against quality and Chile prevailed without much of a sweat. The miners saga was an awesome moment. We were all Chileans that day.

Thank you Cribtop. Maybe a teesny bit OT, but I'm glad that people remember. It's kinda what being a human being is all about, yeah?

Oh, they sweated, believe me. This was a side I have never seen before. They were very forward and agressive, but had defense organized exquisitely well. Ok, some open lanes, but jezus they shut them like a barn door when they had to. This is a really good, tactically proficient, side.

So now the Netherlands and out of the Groupo. A different paradigm. So, how well is the spider's web going to stand up against the agression of 900 lb gorillas? Wish I could be a fly on the wall for Sampaoli's planning.

Watched Australia v Netherlands Saw some holes in the dutchness, but .... Kinda like what I thought. Australia was tactically adept, but the Dutch were seriously agressive and were willing to take some fouls in order to shove it down Aussie throat. Australia was its usual scrappy self, but just got overwhelmed by the Netherland's power. Woof !!

Well, we will see what we see. No matter what, I am proud to be Chilean.

Ciao. John

< Message edited by Symon -- 6/19/2014 6:47:02 PM >

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 148
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/19/2014 5:42:08 PM   
JocMeister

Anyone watching the Colombia - Ivory Coast game?

What a second half!!

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 149
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/19/2014 5:44:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Anyone watching the Colombia - Ivory Coast game?

What a second half!!
warspite1

Yet another superb game!

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI