Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Must I manually control the construction ship?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Must I manually control the construction ship? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Must I manually control the construction ship? - 6/26/2014 5:54:30 PM   
vmxa_slith

I want to control the ships, but not the construction ones. However, they are nuts. They constantly run off to built another research station far off in the universe.

Wish I could add a filter to disallow building some things, namely research bases. I hate to move to suggest as then I will be flooded with msgs.
Post #: 1
RE: Must I manually control the construction ship? - 6/26/2014 6:18:41 PM   
Gregorovitch55

I find the easiest way to handle construction ships is to leave them on manual and order builds from:

a) Expansion Planner - I use this most of all
b) Resort, research base and mining quick lists
c) Colonies for star ports etc
d) Occasionally from planets using the buttons on the bottom left viewer if I come across something

This queues up jobs for the construction ships and by using the construction ship quick list you can periodically check when they have run out of jobs to do (they will say "no mission") and order up some more. This way they never build anything without you deciding to build it and it is sufficiently easy and quick to bulk order jobs, especially using the expansion planner, that it is more or less semi-automated.

The select by empire priority on the expansion planner is pretty good for listing potential mining stations in order of priority and when that becomes empty (i.e. when AI thinks you've got enough of what you need right now) switch to galaxy priority as this will help keep resource prices down, and of course you can never have enough caslon. You won't get any annoying messages doing things this way.

< Message edited by Gregorovitch55 -- 6/26/2014 7:24:14 PM >

(in reply to vmxa_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Must I manually control the construction ship? - 6/26/2014 8:28:12 PM   
Euler

You can also repair damaged and abandoned ships with constructors, which gives you extra research.

I agree it would be nice if there was a check list to tell the automation to only build certain things, but I don't believe there is a way to do that (not to my knowledge).

(in reply to Gregorovitch55)
Post #: 3
RE: Must I manually control the construction ship? - 6/26/2014 8:37:31 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gregorovitch55

I find the easiest way to handle construction ships is to leave them on manual and order builds from:

a) Expansion Planner - I use this most of all
b) Resort, research base and mining quick lists
c) Colonies for star ports etc
d) Occasionally from planets using the buttons on the bottom left viewer if I come across something

This queues up jobs for the construction ships and by using the construction ship quick list you can periodically check when they have run out of jobs to do (they will say "no mission") and order up some more. This way they never build anything without you deciding to build it and it is sufficiently easy and quick to bulk order jobs, especially using the expansion planner, that it is more or less semi-automated.

The select by empire priority on the expansion planner is pretty good for listing potential mining stations in order of priority and when that becomes empty (i.e. when AI thinks you've got enough of what you need right now) switch to galaxy priority as this will help keep resource prices down, and of course you can never have enough caslon. You won't get any annoying messages doing things this way.

Not that is a really good idea.

I usually let many go automatically so that they can properly build mines and so on.
But I also keep several in reserve for special projects.

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 6/26/2014 9:38:39 PM >

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Gregorovitch55)
Post #: 4
RE: Must I manually control the construction ship? - 6/26/2014 9:19:38 PM   
Bingeling

The AI has no problems when it comes to building mines, and special requests are easily queued. The main benefit of full manual control is to avoid bases/mines being built in the middle of nowhere. It saves on those attack messages...

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Must I manually control the construction ship? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI