Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Challenging start…

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Challenging start… Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Challenging start… - 7/2/2014 4:29:45 PM   
TheSAguy

I got inspired after watching Larry Monte’s Lets Play to start a real challenging game myself.

I’m not using any mods, besides Das Chrome mod and the latest patch 1.9.5.5
So I setup a game on a 10x10 grid with an 1,000 stars and 19 AI players, so 20 players in total, 50 stars each.

Settings:
Difficulty – Extreme
Aggression – Chaos
Prates – Very Many
Pirate Strength – Strong
Race – Gizurean
Start tech – All pre-warp.

So I start my game and surprise, surprise, I’m not alone in my starting system. A few planets over the Gizurean have their own planet. I’ve had a lot of games in the past where there was another starting race in a neighboring solar system, but this was my first to actually have another starting race in the same system!

And if that’s not enough, they got the mining rights to the system, yip my constructors can’t even build a little mine.

I thought this would be a good save to share if anyone wanted to give this game a try:
Save Game

It’s not all doom and gloom. Since there are 2 races, there are 4 ruins (though 2 ruins are empty) and 4 abandoned ships in the system.

I failed in my first attempt, but have a pretty good idea of what to do and will give it a try after work today.
Love to hear some feedback on what you guys think.
Post #: 1
RE: Challenging start… - 7/7/2014 4:51:10 PM   
TheSAguy

The start turned out actually relatively easy,

Build a Construction ship, repair the closest Frigate and immediately attack and destroy his star base, then just blockade has world and build an invasion fleet.

The bigger challenge was how isolated the starting system was, could not expand from there fast enough.

(in reply to TheSAguy)
Post #: 2
RE: Challenging start… - 7/7/2014 8:20:39 PM   
Euler

It's not that rare to have two civs with the same race starting in the same system, it's happened to me at least a few times. It makes the starting game harder because you can't mine the home system resources at first. But you get to start stealing tech from them right away which speeds up your development.

There are two ways to respond: 1) build up a quick military fleet as you did and get over to strangle and eventually conquer him. This can be difficult if you start in pre-warp because by the time you get to his world he will already have some defenses built. In your case the existence of an advanced tech frigate helped out-it was good you got there first and not him or the pirates. 2) research/steal warp tech as fast as possible and outrace him to the nearby systems. If you can control the nearby systems your economy will outpace his and eventually you will be able to conquer him. Lowering the tax rate to 0% on your home world allows your GNP to grow faster too, which the AI typically doesn't do.

As far as starting a long way away from other systems, there is an upside if it means that you don't have a lot of pirates to deal with at first. Research into fuel cells to build up your range and try to get a foothold in a nearby star cluster.

(in reply to TheSAguy)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Challenging start… Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI