Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research tree, new everything...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research tree, new everything... Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 8/29/2014 1:09:57 PM   
Kizucha

Oh shut up guy's and give me the cake!!

Uh i see more construction projects, is it in that way we can build bigger ships as it is in vanilla or is the biggest the same size as vanilla only slower to reach?

(in reply to Radishgast)
Post #: 361
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 8/29/2014 2:53:23 PM   
lurchi

Bigger, since we all know bigger is better.

BTW, there are now 830 research projects and 210 components.
The framework is about 75% done.

There will be a new teaser soon.

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 362
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 8/29/2014 4:11:00 PM   
Kizucha

5% in a day? Work faster!!

Oh ehm if the framework is done, its the main work or are you thinking it will be more huge work after the framework?

And bigger is not alway's better... if you cant use bigger things good its worse.

< Message edited by Kizucha -- 8/29/2014 5:11:45 PM >

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 363
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 8/29/2014 4:59:36 PM   
lurchi

Once the framework is done I have to add the rest of the dummy components, do some basic balancing and error checking. Considering this I guess it's about a week or two 'til the beta release, depends on my free time.

BTW, I assume that people know how to use their stuff.

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 364
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 8/29/2014 7:09:57 PM   
Kizucha

That's nice to hear. In the time of testing, if you need tester i'm happy to help, i dont know much about modding in DW so i can only help play-testing but i think its not that big of a problem to do it by yourself.

Unfortunately it existing enough deaf nuts.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 365
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 8/29/2014 10:24:08 PM   
lurchi

There are now 850 research projects and 210 components.
The framework is about 80% done.

Here's the promised teaser:

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 366
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 8/29/2014 10:29:08 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kizucha

That's nice to hear. In the time of testing, if you need tester i'm happy to help, i dont know much about modding in DW so i can only help play-testing but i think its not that big of a problem to do it by yourself.

Unfortunately it existing enough deaf nuts.

Beta testers are very welcome.

Like Einstein said: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 367
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 8/30/2014 7:08:08 AM   
Kizucha

Uh~ i see stealth!

In that way, i will be happy to help testing.

Einstein was an intelligent man.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 368
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 8/30/2014 4:59:18 PM   
Joshwoo69

Yeah! 75 %! Faster!!! I cannot control my self from using this :P

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 369
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/1/2014 10:43:15 PM   
lurchi

So I had lots of work. Again.

But I at least managed to work on Research Reloaded. Well, a little.
There are now 865 research projects and 215 components.
The framework is about 90% done.

New teaser:

I'll be really busy the next few days as well, but I guess I can release the beta in about a week.

(in reply to Joshwoo69)
Post #: 370
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/2/2014 6:46:56 AM   
Joshwoo69

90%?! I can hardly control myself (really!)
When framework is finished then beta time!

< Message edited by Joshwoo69 -- 9/2/2014 7:48:08 AM >

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 371
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/2/2014 7:02:21 AM   
Hawkeye_BF

looks absolutly great, love it!!!

(in reply to Joshwoo69)
Post #: 372
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/2/2014 8:03:20 AM   
Shark7

Looking good.

You can also add me to the list of people willing to test this monster for you. Figure the best way is to set as cheap as possible and just get through the tree to make sure everything is working.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Hawkeye_BF)
Post #: 373
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/2/2014 8:49:37 AM   
Kizucha

Uh nice thing with the colonizations, this never made sense for me in vanilla that we only can research some colonization projects after other.

I'm happy that the framework is "nearly" done.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 374
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/2/2014 11:34:06 AM   
lurchi

Thanks.

Yeah, colonization is quite different now. Every race has access to every colo tech at once, but the costs depend on the race and planet type. Like an ice race has very high research costs for volcanic colonization while a desert race gets this really cheap.

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 375
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/2/2014 11:34:28 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: lurchi

Thanks.

Yeah, colonization is quite different now. Every race has access to every colo tech at once, but the costs depend on the race and planet type. Like an ice race has very high research costs for volcanic colonization while a desert race gets this really cheap.

That is almost exactly how I set up my colonizing research for the test mod I made for testing. I never did like the way it was done initially. I even went as far as adjusting the costs in the races files based on the species home planet type. Home planet type was like 0.2 cost, the opposite of the home planet type was 5.0 cost. So your Desert example got desert for 20% of cost, volcanic for 100% of cost, and Ice or Ocean for 500% of cost, etc.

Basically I went Basic Colony > Terraforming > (branched for planet type) for my tree, with some species specific wonders tacked on at the end of each branch.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 376
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/3/2014 12:59:44 AM   
lurchi

Yup, that's about the same I did, including the race files. Great minds think alike.

Little update:
Good news: There are now 250 components. A bunch are still missing, but not much.
Bad news: I won't be able to work on the mod the next two days.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 377
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/3/2014 7:05:49 AM   
Kizucha

quote:

ORIGINAL: lurchi

Yup, that's about the same I did, including the race files. Great minds think alike.

Little update:
Good news: There are now 250 components. A bunch are still missing, but not much.
Bad news: I won't be able to work on the mod the next two days.

How dare you?! As long you not run away from modding and letting us alone, take your time.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 378
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/3/2014 7:11:37 AM   
DinoSaurus

SOUNDS GOOD!!!

VERY GOOD!

Well, do you have modified the mining-research due to the moment? Or do I have overlooked this part?!

It would be interesting to modify mining in relation to planet-type: deep-lithosphere-mining, deep-sea-mining, extrem-temperature-mining (vulcanic, ice) or s.th. like this. Maybe not all kinds of mining type could be used everywhere: deep-sea on ocean planets and maybe continetal and ice, but not on desert or so...

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 379
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/3/2014 8:00:01 AM   
lurchi

I modded it and added lithosphere mining. It's not possible to create mines for planet types, though. There are only two kinds of mining engines, mineral and gas. Well, and luxury.

(in reply to DinoSaurus)
Post #: 380
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/3/2014 11:08:22 AM   
PsyKoSnake

Is it possible to make a combined Mining engine.

Like gaz + lux / Mineral + Lux.

But i dont know how the Ai would handle this.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 381
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/3/2014 1:33:00 PM   
Kizucha

In that case i would prefer a change that enable that we can build mines without the other mine engines and only with lux.

(in reply to PsyKoSnake)
Post #: 382
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/3/2014 3:43:30 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: PsyKoSnake

Is it possible to make a combined Mining engine.

Nope, not possible.

(in reply to PsyKoSnake)
Post #: 383
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/3/2014 3:44:52 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kizucha

In that case i would prefer a change that enable that we can build mines without the other mine engines and only with lux.

You can already do that, no need to change anything. Please note that auto upgrading will get rid of special mines, though.

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 384
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/3/2014 4:11:14 PM   
Kizucha

Its already possible? What update i missed?Auto upgrading is no problem for me, so far i never used it.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 385
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/3/2014 4:12:57 PM   
Cmiller

Wow, I cant believe its almost done! Great job lurchi, I too would like to test your mod out, its so...huge. Btw, will you still consider my idea of fighters with ion weapons?

Edit: Or maybe fighters with rail guns and beams too. And any other special weapons you might've added to this mod

Cmiller

< Message edited by Cmiller -- 9/3/2014 5:16:43 PM >

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 386
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/3/2014 7:12:27 PM   
lurchi

Yeah, I already thought about alternate fighter weapons and added those.
Alas there's a problem. Officially fighters only can have missiles, torpedoes or beam weapons. Special weapon properties don't work for fighters. I can give them another name and their weapons a certain damage and range, that's it. So disabling ships with ion bombers is not possible.

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 387
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/4/2014 8:24:37 AM   
Joshwoo69

Add me to the list of testers thanks!

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 388
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/4/2014 8:34:16 AM   
DinoSaurus

Well, but maybe you could add a final and very expensive research project with high-damage beam weapons or so?

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 389
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/4/2014 4:13:41 PM   
NephilimNexus

Suggestion for improving the pre-warp stage:

#1) Drop the Warp Bubble speed from 2000 down to 500 and make it an even bigger energy hog.

#2) Place a new type of warp engine between the Warp Bubble and the Gerax Hyperdrive, with the old Warp Bubble stats and research cost.

#3) Make the research cost on the new Warp Bubble really cheap, so it can be learned in a year or less.

What this does:

It let's players get entry level warp tech faster than before, but does so in a way that still almost completely restricts them to their home system. Thus it extends the pre-warp tier while making it more interesting, as ships will now have enough speed to build mining bases in your home system, even if they lack the fuel to go beyond it.

See, the drag of the pre-warp phase is two things: Waiting forever for the basic Warp Bubble (which is way overpriced in vanilla), and the tedious drag of trying to get your initial mining bases built with ships that can barely do a speed of 20. This solves both of those problems, as it makes the first step of warp cheap & quick to access, which in turn lets you get into building up your home system faster. It is balanced by the severely limited range that probably won't get you to even the next system over unless you overload your ships with fuel tanks, which in turn makes them useless anyway.

The regular Warp Bubble isn't removed per se, it's name gets changed & it stats instead are simply moved up a notch so players still do have to learn it. This extends the research timeline a little, but that's okay because now people won't get bored with it.

Unrelated: Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some of those icon graphics from EvE Online?

< Message edited by NephilimNexus -- 9/4/2014 5:17:41 PM >

(in reply to DinoSaurus)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research tree, new everything... Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI