Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research tree, new everything...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research tree, new everything... Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/12/2014 3:02:43 PM   
Joshwoo69

Any news on DW2?

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 421
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/13/2014 7:28:06 PM   
lurchi

Nope, no news about DW2. I guess you'll have to wait a few more months.

There's news about Research Reloaded, though. The mod now has 293 components (7 less than cap) and 900 research projects (100 less than cap).

Also I have a question for you.

Right now the tech tree goes (save supertech) up to level 9, just like vanilla. I'm seriously considering adding two levels, one more is not feasible due to structural reasons.

Why you ask?

First to increase diversity even more due to players and AI focussing on less tech trees.
Second to somewhat counteract setting research costs lower due to there being way more projects to research.
Third to introduce new (kinda) super tech levels where it wasn't possible previously.

What do you think?

(in reply to Joshwoo69)
Post #: 422
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/14/2014 12:23:25 AM   
Cmiller

quote:

ORIGINAL: lurchi
Second to somewhat counteract setting research costs lower due to there being way more projects to research.

So you don't want people setting their research costs lower? Also, how feasible will it actually be to actually "reach" level 11 by the end of a game. I don't mind playing long games, but I also don't play sandbox games either. As it is now, I usually never reach the end of my tech trees before setting the game aside for a new one. Not sure if I'll ever get a chance to research the end game techs unless I set costs to abosuluet minimum. But then it becomes a retrofit frenzy when you do that, so, um, yeah...

Anyway, its your mod, do what you want. That's just my opinion on the matter. Though if I end up testing your mod, don't expect results of level 11 techs from my side, okay . I probably won't reach them.

quote:

The mod now has 293 components

Don't tell me your gonna go over the new 300 limit now, lol.

Cmiller

< Message edited by Cmiller -- 9/14/2014 1:24:45 AM >

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 423
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/14/2014 12:33:44 AM   
Blackstork

I think lets get default design, then you will be able to extend it. Seems its now quite complex, and its a insteresting question how much time needed in order to research all needed techs. I really like the idea, because then there will be more sence to be research race, and more length to games for people who want it. If it need more heavy balance and alot of modding and tweaking, perhaps better to leave it to "tea and cookie" time, for now its time of "first dish", and if the cookies will complicate testing and digesting it it will be better to hold with it. If you release your mod sooner - sooner people will start to test it and you will get the oportunity to tweak/test it with players/ai in actual research queues sooner . :)
just my 5 cents :)

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 424
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/14/2014 12:48:20 AM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cmiller

So you don't want people setting their research costs lower?

No, that's not it. I just want to prevent lower settings people might use due to the huge amount of research projects leading to reaching the final level too fast.

quote:

Also, how feasible will it actually be to actually "reach" level 11 by the end of a game. I don't mind playing long games, but I also don't play sandbox games either. As it is now, I usually never reach the end of my tech trees before setting the game aside for a new one. Not sure if I'll ever get a chance to research the end game techs unless I set costs to abosuluet minimum. But then it becomes a retrofit frenzy when you do that, so, um, yeah...

Seems you play really short games, I usually reach the final levels of all important tech trees, and I play on expensive. Well, not that this is required. Anyway, lower settings should keep the gaming time similar to what it was.

quote:

Anyway, its your mod, do what you want. That's just my opinion on the matter. Though if I end up testing your mod, don't expect results of level 11 techs from my side, okay . I probably won't reach them.

Try harder!

quote:

quote:

The mod now has 293 components

Don't tell me your gonna go over the new 300 limit now, lol.

Well...

Nah, I guess I'll keep juuust below it.

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 425
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/14/2014 1:01:39 AM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackstork

I think lets get default design, then you will be able to extend it. Seems its now quite complex, and its a insteresting question how much time needed in order to research all needed techs. I really like the idea, because then there will be more sence to be research race, and more length to games for people who want it. If it need more heavy balance and alot of modding and tweaking, perhaps better to leave it to "tea and cookie" time, for now its time of "first dish", and if the cookies will complicate testing and digesting it it will be better to hold with it. If you release your mod sooner - sooner people will start to test it and you will get the oportunity to tweak/test it with players/ai in actual research queues sooner . :)

Well, a sooner release isn't possible as long as the component bug isn't fixed, we have to wait for the next patch anyway. That patch probably also has the weapon modifiers I really long for...
I also have to consider balancing and research queues. I guess Icemania won't be very happy if a later extension forces him to restart.

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 426
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/14/2014 2:04:12 AM   
Joshwoo69

Maybe delicate the 7 to super awesome weapons

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 427
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/14/2014 8:16:46 AM   
Kizucha

First for me lurchi do what you want. Second, if its about more research projects, do it. Third, if it takes another year, please release it first if its stable and extend it after this.

Last, still i want a cake!

(in reply to Joshwoo69)
Post #: 428
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/14/2014 9:25:36 AM   
Joshwoo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kizucha

First for me lurchi do what you want. Second, if its about more research projects, do it. Third, if it takes another year, please release it first if its stable and extend it after this.

Last, still i want a cake!

No cake for you
The cake is a LIE!

< Message edited by Joshwoo69 -- 9/14/2014 10:52:32 AM >

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 429
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/14/2014 10:06:42 AM   
Kizucha

But... but... its a cake!

(in reply to Joshwoo69)
Post #: 430
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/14/2014 10:48:44 AM   
Blackstork

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackstork

Well, a sooner release isn't possible as long as the component bug isn't fixed, we have to wait for the next patch anyway. That patch probably also has the weapon modifiers I really long for...
I also have to consider balancing and research queues. I guess Icemania won't be very happy if a later extension forces him to restart.

Icemania wont start integration till testings and tweaks are done, so you better release original base hwich could be tested, this will create better platform to put extension on it, which will need less testing. Once all this done then there will be reason for integration. I really like that idea, alot (And i really want you to make it - those more 2 levels). Simply i think that approach of releasing some base material so you can get feedback is better, this way player will able to "digest" all information faster.

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 9/14/2014 11:49:41 AM >

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 431
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/14/2014 11:22:52 AM   
Joshwoo69

quote:

THE CAKE IS A LIE.

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 432
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/14/2014 12:09:48 PM   
Blackstork

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joshwoo69

quote:

THE CAKE IS A LIE.

NO, ITS JUST TIER 9 CAKE AND ITS HARD TO RESEARCH. I ADVICE YOU TO ADJUST PRE-SET COSTS, AND PUT SOME TEA SETTINGS ON.
Btw as modder i am excited and menaced by qty of the techs we will need to grind and test in order to balance and integrate mods.

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 9/14/2014 1:14:18 PM >

(in reply to Joshwoo69)
Post #: 433
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/15/2014 7:56:46 AM   
DinoSaurus

One ponit for LURCHI SPECIAL DW Version 2.0:

What about additional resources needed for components etc.?

If you add new components it also would be one way to add further mineral resources... or?

Have you thougth about?

By the way: if you ask, maybe they will allow more than 80 resources and change it from 80 to 200 - so you have 120 (in words: hundredandtwenty)new possibilities to mod...

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 434
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/15/2014 9:42:31 AM   
lurchi

K, since most of you think more tech is good I'll add the two new levels. I guess I might go up to 1000 research projects with this.

(in reply to DinoSaurus)
Post #: 435
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/15/2014 9:46:33 AM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: DinoSaurus

One ponit for LURCHI SPECIAL DW Version 2.0:

What about additional resources needed for components etc.?

If you add new components it also would be one way to add further mineral resources... or?

Have you thougth about?

By the way: if you ask, maybe they will allow more than 80 resources and change it from 80 to 200 - so you have 120 (in words: hundredandtwenty)new possibilities to mod...

I already have various new ressources.
Nah, contrary to the other caps 80 ressources is plenty.

(in reply to DinoSaurus)
Post #: 436
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/15/2014 10:04:59 AM   
Hawkeye_BF

great :)))

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 437
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/15/2014 11:53:32 AM   
Kizucha

There you go new component cap, we will not miss you. Or are they only upgrades for existent components and dont bother with the component cap?

(in reply to Hawkeye_BF)
Post #: 438
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/15/2014 1:06:03 PM   
lurchi

Well, I have 7 components left to use, but one is already reserved for a race tech. I also want to keep a few, for future race techs. We'll see.

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 439
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/15/2014 1:36:26 PM   
Blackstork

Lurchi, if you will use them then your mod will be not compatible and wont be open for making of megamod.
I really advise you against using those, and even it would be better if you keep them for aditional race's unique ones. I think Beyond have 6 of those. (as race specific additional components for Lemeresh, Such-Oos, Veey, Yereni, Dlakar, Archei)

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 9/15/2014 2:39:16 PM >

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 440
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/15/2014 1:40:13 PM   
lurchi

Thought so. Well, the race tech I made is still free. It's a special ship armor, want to use that for one of your races?

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 441
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/15/2014 1:43:09 PM   
Blackstork

Yes, there 2 race slots open still. Np, actually armor is great because it will go for some plant race which grow barks on their organic ships, so it fits well :D

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 9/15/2014 2:43:49 PM >

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 442
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/15/2014 1:57:49 PM   
lurchi

If the bark is the armor it doesn't fit. Said armor is a super hard high reactive biological substance produced from a long extinct ancient race. I already have the ressource and all.

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 443
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/15/2014 2:01:31 PM   
Blackstork

quote:

If the bark is the armor it doesn't fit. Said armor is a super hard high reactive biological substance produced from a long extinct ancient race. I already have the ressource and all.

Well, we can adjust it, also i hope Devs will lift 50 race limit soon.
I wont develop more races from current 48 till it lifted anyways - because i want to keep alliances balanced, so i will add races in sets of 4. So perhaps this tech could be useful for 51th or 52th race. Please send me details so i will have material to think about. :)

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 444
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/15/2014 2:41:01 PM   
lurchi

K.

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 445
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/15/2014 2:55:38 PM   
lurchi

Sent.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 446
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/15/2014 2:59:38 PM   
Blackstork

Aye, got. Replied.
Nice stuff, will go for 51th race. Probably Dark Forces or Red Coalition one.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 447
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/16/2014 9:12:39 PM   
lurchi

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the stuff is snow white, so a corresponding white shipset would be nice.

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 448
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/16/2014 10:02:41 PM   
Blackstork

quote:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the stuff is snow white, so a corresponding white shipset would be nice.

Snow white set used by Such-Oos but retinting any other wont be any problem.
Also i have idea for them - Protosomatic family (worm-snail-leech related) desert race, Red Coalition (friendly to XHuman, Banoserit, Caleph, Lipid etc and hostile to Quameno/Lemeresh/Wekkarus/Vesareen&co Pact)
More 4 races will start their dev process as soon as devs lift limit of 50 races.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 449
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/16/2014 10:16:07 PM   
lurchi

Worms, eh? So, do you insinuate race #51 is distantly related to the ancient producers?

Apropos producers, I included a nice pic of one in the galactopedia entry. They really bear a slight resemblance to the Shakturi. Interesting.

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research tree, new everything... Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI