Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Commander: The Great War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Commander: The Great War Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Commander: The Great War - 7/26/2014 12:10:51 AM   
jday305

Steam is now offering Commander: The Great War for $20.09. Looks like its time for me to pick it up.

RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Post #: 1
RE: Commander: The Great War - 7/26/2014 12:26:24 AM   
Rosseau

Looks like all the old-time Matrix customers who paid full (sometimes outrageous) prices for years and helped the company succeed will at least get a Steam key. Yippee!

The way Steam will eventually discount, there is now no reason that the "non-wargaming" audience cannot get into Matrix games. True, some didn't know about the games, but I think many were held back by the pricing.

As for me, I'll never buy another Matrix game at full price again. Just wait until it hits Steam.

< Message edited by rosseau -- 7/26/2014 1:40:41 AM >

(in reply to jday305)
Post #: 2
RE: Commander: The Great War - 7/26/2014 2:54:35 AM   
Ranger33

Matrix still sets the price on Steam, in case you didn't know. No one is forced to sell their games at deep discounts. As far as I have seen, the games only go on sale over there when they are on sale here.

I'm happy to see this, I still plan on buying all my games here and then getting the key there for the automatic updates and whatnot. Is there a Matrix Games group on Steam? There is a pretty decent sized one for Combat Mission, makes it easy to find opponents.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 3
RE: Commander: The Great War - 7/26/2014 6:02:24 AM   
histgamer

Just picked the game up, was on the fence and didn't want to pay $40 for a WW1 Panzer Corps (or thats how it looks to me) but at $20 figured why not, and now that it's on steam I'll probably make a few videos for it as well.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 4
RE: Commander: The Great War - 7/26/2014 7:34:52 AM   
JDM

You are correct pricing is controlled by us and there will be no pricing conflicts between our own sites and Steam

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 5
RE: Commander: The Great War - 7/26/2014 2:34:10 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

Just picked the game up, was on the fence and didn't want to pay $40 for a WW1 Panzer Corps (or thats how it looks to me)

So is it like that?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 6
RE: Commander: The Great War - 7/26/2014 5:30:23 PM   
gradenko2k

The combat mechanics are similar enough to Panzer Corps, but then Commander The Great War also has you controlling research and production. It's especially telling that the way to win as the Entente is to destroy Corps after Corps, Army after Army of Germans until their manpower runs out and they can't produce any more units, which is decidedly NOT how Panzer Corps is usually played.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 7
RE: Commander: The Great War - 7/26/2014 6:20:14 PM   
radic202

I remember being part of those who beta tested this game and it was a pretty good game. I truly enjoyed it but never purchased it because of the Developers completely omitting Canada's Role in WW1 and bunching us up with the British (not even a regiment or High Grade Canadian officer present), while the Yanks who did far less in WW1 (joined the war way after and did not do anything as significant as the Canadians) have a huge presence in the game. The same can be said for Aussies and Kiwis but in WW1, Vimy Ridge, Ypres were historically significant battles that put Canada on the map politically and militarily and released it from the UK's grip, if you want a WW1 game that has significant historical content, not including Canada separately (we even had the second or third largest navy at that time as well) is cheating the history books in my opinion. Will not revisit this entirely as I have already posted this in a previous thread when it was released. Look at the latest "Valiant Hearts" WW1 adventure game, Canada is full present in the story line and yea call me a Patriot as I am proud and honoured to cheer/root for my country.

For those who can look past my reason to boycott this, they will not be disappointed as this is a great war game.

< Message edited by radic202 -- 7/26/2014 7:21:54 PM >

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 8
RE: Commander: The Great War - 7/26/2014 6:33:00 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: radic202

I remember being part of those who beta tested this game and it was a pretty good game. I truly enjoyed it but never purchased it because of the Developers completely omitting Canada's Role in WW1 and bunching us up with the British (not even a regiment or High Grade Canadian officer present), while the Yanks who did far less in WW1 (joined the war way after and did not do anything as significant as the Canadians) have a huge presence in the game. The same can be said for Aussies and Kiwis but in WW1, Vimy Ridge, Ypres were historically significant battles that put Canada on the map politically and militarily and released it from the UK's grip, if you want a WW1 game that has significant historical content, not including Canada separately (we even had the second or third largest navy at that time as well) is cheating the history books in my opinion. Will not revisit this entirely as I have already posted this in a previous thread when it was released. Look at the latest "Valiant Hearts" WW1 adventure game, Canada is full present in the story line and yea call me a Patriot as I am proud and honoured to cheer/root for my country.

For those who can look past my reason to boycott this, they will not be disappointed as this is a great war game.
warspite1

I understand your frustration - and it would have been good to see separate colours for the Dominions (+India) where the nos. warranted it - not only as a fitting touch to those Canadians, ANZACS, Indians etc involved but also as an aesthetically pleasing addition to the game.

However, I would take exception that "the Yanks who did far less in WW1 (joined the war way after and did not do anything as significant as the Canadians) have a huge presence in the game".

I don't know if things changed after you stopped beta testing but I have played not far short of 100 games and have ONCE - yes ONCE seen the US come into the war. Believe me, they do not have a huge presence!!

Also its a bit naughty to downplay the US contribution so much - have a look at the war dead nos. for Canada and the US.

One other thing - sorry to nitpick but the Canadians did NOT have the 2nd or 3rd largest navy in that war - not even close. It probably numbered a dozen vessels at most at the outbreak of war.

And while we are at it, its not just the Dominions and the US that get a bad deal - you will recall the initial values assigned to the Royal Navy compared to the Germans, French et al...... Yeah right..... They listened and improved the nos. but they are still woefully inadequate compared to reality.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/26/2014 7:53:00 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 9
RE: Commander: The Great War - 7/26/2014 7:05:35 PM   
radic202

Thanks Warspite, did not mean to downspeak Yanks only downspeak that they have a presence in the game (huge meaning they are there to play as a nation). I am positive I heard or read somewhere that our Navy grew to be the 2nd or 3rd largest during the conflict but I would think maybe after the war ended and with all the merchants ships counting as Military ships per se, that total would be the inflated one hence where I may be wrong in my assumption/..

Canada lost 66K men and about 120K wounded during the war ( out of a population of less then 8 Million), Newfoundland (not part of Canada then) lost an entire Regiment and it took years for the Island to recover population wise. This is one more nation you can add that was omitted with all the other ones you and I speak off.

Again, not meaning to re-open old wounds here but in Canada when we speak of WW1, it is a defining time in our History were more importantly Canada emerged as a new Western Power out of the British Iron Grip and never looked back. So personally and for many Canadians, speaking of WW1 without mentioning Canada's role is an insult to our nation. Understandably the Developers can't do everything and please everyone, but when I see a Yank presence in the game and not even a mention of Canada, it hurts my patriotism, and that is too bad because Commander: The Great War is one heck of a game that I truly enjoyed playing but my principles are far stronger. Unless there is a change in the game, I will stay away, sadly but proudly.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 10
RE: Commander: The Great War - 7/26/2014 7:12:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Thanks Warspite, did not mean to downspeak Yanks only downspeak that they have a presence in the game (huge meaning they are there to play as a nation). I am positive I heard or read somewhere that our Navy grew to be the 2nd or 3rd largest during the conflict but I would think maybe after the war ended and with all the merchants ships counting as Military ships per se, that total would be the inflated one hence where I may be wrong in my assumption/..

Canada lost 66K men and about 120K wounded during the war ( out of a population of less then 8 Million), Newfoundland (not part of Canada then) lost an entire Regiment and it took years for the Island to recover population wise. This is one more nation you can add that was omitted with all the other ones you and I speak off.

Again, not meaning to re-open old wounds here but in Canada when we speak of WW1, it is a defining time in our History were more importantly Canada emerged as a new Western Power out of the British Iron Grip and never looked back. So personally and for many Canadians, speaking of WW1 without mentioning Canada's role is an insult to our nation. Understandably the Developers can't do everything and please everyone, but when I see a Yank presence in the game and not even a mention of Canada, it hurts my patriotism, and that is too bad because Commander: The Great War is one heck of a game that I truly enjoyed playing but my principles are far stronger. Unless there is a change in the game, I will stay away, sadly but proudly.
warspite1

I think you are thinking of WWII when - at the end - you had the 3rd or 4th largest navy.

As a compromise, the developers did add an announcement that the Canadians Corps was coming (in one of the early turns) when a reinforcement arrived in Canada - but as you say the unit colour was no different to the British. As I say, I agree that their lack of clear presence in game is most unfortunate....

Maybe we should club together and campaign for proper representation for the Dominions and the Royal Navy

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 11
RE: Commander: The Great War - 7/26/2014 7:21:16 PM   
radic202

Maybe we should club together and campaign for proper representation for the Dominions and the Royal Navy

I would love to Warspite1 but I am an airforce brat, I know absolutely nothing about the Navy, heck! I even get seasick in a canoe??? LOL

< Message edited by radic202 -- 7/26/2014 8:22:05 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 12
RE: Commander: The Great War - 7/26/2014 7:22:43 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

quote:

I would love to Warspite1 but I am an airforce brat, I know absolutely nothing about the Navy, heck I even get seasick in a canoe??? LOL

warspite1

Yes I recall you saying you were air force. Great avatar btw

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/26/2014 8:26:00 PM >

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Commander: The Great War Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI