Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Max Number of Units in a Formation?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Max Number of Units in a Formation? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Max Number of Units in a Formation? - 3/23/2001 7:19:00 AM   
Major Ed

Is there a way to create and save in the OOB a formation that has more than 10 units? I know you can start a scenario and add units to a formation then, but I want to create a formation (once) and have it available and not have to go through these extra steps each time. The formation I want to play with is the US Armored Infantry Platoon, 1943-1949. The one in the OOB doesn't agree with TO&E I have found (Grasse, Vanguard, etc.)

Post #: 1
- 3/23/2001 9:34:00 AM   
Drake

The only way to do that is to break the platoon into two or more sections and make formations for them and then create one larger formation with all the sections joined.

(in reply to Major Ed)
Post #: 2
- 3/23/2001 9:47:00 AM   
Bob Wallace

For your own use, you can modify the OOB to do most anything you want (with restrictions of course), but I would caution you against using formations with tons of units in them for a few reasons... 1.) When a formation incurs losses to it's child units, each of the units remaining in that formation suffer morale hits... too many units means a better chance you will have one useless formation after incurring fire on just a few units). 2.) With command control rules being utilized (only pertinent if you use them or are making scenarios for the public) you will find that either most of your units are out of contact or will be forced to over stack (incurring a BIG penalty when receiving fire). 3.) In versions older tha 5.0 I have noticed that if yo have a number of LARGE formations (8-10 units each) the computer can tend to get a bit sluggish when between turns and even found that units occasionally disappear in online games. Now I know that a few of these bugs have been taken care of in the new release (should be available relatively soon), but I cant say for sure how making formations with ALOT of units will play out. 4.) Because only one of your units in each formation can be the 'command' unit, you will suffer unduely from lack of radios and rally capability given the size of the formation. Besides, who wants to mess around with big formations? when I play battles and campaigns, I will opt to buy a comapny of tanks, delete all but the command unit, buy another comapny of tanks, delete all but the command unit, etc... until I have the equivalent of a platoon (or larger) of tanks that are always in contact (you cant lose contact with yourself), almost always have radios - and can therefore spot for arty, and always have enhanced rally capability ;) Just my 2 cents wort, Bob

"That which does not kill me usually leaves me wishing I was dead!"

(in reply to Major Ed)
Post #: 3
- 3/23/2001 12:20:00 PM   
Don

quote:

Besides, who wants to mess around with big formations? when I play battles and campaigns, I will opt to buy a comapny of tanks, delete all but the command unit, buy another comapny of tanks, delete all but the command unit, etc... until I have the equivalent of a platoon (or larger) of tanks that are always in contact (you cant lose contact with yourself), almost always have radios - and can therefore spot for arty, and always have enhanced rally capability
I will say this - you have every way to CHEAT down cold! Argh! I'd like to see the "historical" players cringe when they read that one! :D Don ------ That which does not kill me makes me want to kill it!

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Major Ed)
Post #: 4
- 3/23/2001 12:50:00 PM   
Bob Wallace

'Morality' tells us when something is wrong 'Ethics' preclude us from doing wrong 'Law' disuades us from doing wrong 'Justice' punishes us for doing wrong 'Religion' tells us everything is wrong... Screw all that noise - do whatever is necessary to WIN! ;)

"That which does not kill me usually leaves me wishing I was dead!"

(in reply to Major Ed)
Post #: 5
- 3/23/2001 12:54:00 PM   
Don

"Let he who has not messed with his preference settings cast the first stone" Oops - leaves me out! LOL

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Major Ed)
Post #: 6
- 3/23/2001 8:58:00 PM   
Major Ed

I'm not really interested in building mega formations, just creating a platoon that is, IMHO, a little more historically accurate. According to the info I've got it should consist of 3 squads inf (#1,#2,#3) in halftracks (#4,#5,#6), a weapons squad of 2- cal. .30 MMG (#7,#8), 1-cal. .50 HMG (#9), a halftrack for the weapons squad (#10) and a mortar track (#11). It may also include another bazooka tm (#12) from the company. I'll try and create a separate weapons squad formation that will combine 3 units into 1. Thanks for the advise. As to having to many units and having C&C problems I have been known to review my purchases and instead of buying a 2 tank section (commanded by yet another 2LT)to finish spending my points, buy a company and use the 1 or 2 tank HQ section (commanded by a CPT). This also helps morale and rally ability on a least 1 platoon (chain of command). Thanks again. "Anyone who is engaged in a fair fight has no tactical ability."

(in reply to Major Ed)
Post #: 7
- 3/23/2001 9:57:00 PM   
Warhorse

Just remember you can't nest more than one time. IOW, you can't make a plt of sections, then use this platoon in a company. If a platoon is made of 3 sections, that's all you get, you won't be able to use this 3 section platoon in the formation. This is why the German Sd Kfz 250 recon unit isn't optimum. Should have something like 7 tracks with 7 recon teams, etc. Good luck!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Major Ed)
Post #: 8
- 3/24/2001 8:57:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

quote:

Originally posted by Don: I will say this - you have every way to CHEAT down cold! Argh! I'd like to see the "historical" players cringe when they read that one! :D Don ------ That which does not kill me makes me want to kill it!
:eek: Lord! I can see I'm going to have be VERY specific when agreeing upon the criteria for future email games

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to Major Ed)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Max Number of Units in a Formation? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI