Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shock vs Deliberate Attack?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Shock vs Deliberate Attack? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shock vs Deliberate Attack? - 2/19/2003 3:55:42 PM   
Veer

I have a question: Whats a difference between a shock attack and a deliberate attack? Other than shock resulting in higher losses for the attacker, I don't get how it is better/worse/different from deliberate attack.

In time of war the first casualty is truth. - Boake Carter
Post #: 1
.. - 2/19/2003 4:21:53 PM   
Odin

Hm, a deliberate attack is a normal attack, a shock attack is like overrun attack...could be devastating to the enemy, but its best used against a weakened enemy or when you have a significant advantage in troops.

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 2
Good question - 2/19/2003 4:22:38 PM   
Bradman

I have been trying to work it out myself, I'm sure many more have, any answers?

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 3
- 2/19/2003 6:23:15 PM   
Raverdave

Much like Odin said, but to put it into some other words so that it may help explain. Look upon a shock attack as being a John Wayne movie, everyone bunched up and just rushing forward, OTH a deliberate is like a Saving Pvt Ryan Movie, much more thought is put into it.

In my army days there were two types of attack, the quick attack, which is when you see an advantage either with terrain, fire power or even numbers over the enemy, and typically would take about 30 Mins to plan and get the orders out.

The second kind of attack was the deliberate which could take days even weeks to plan, with rehearsals and detailed maps and even models of the ground that you would be moving across, arty co-ordination, airsupport, even start lines that you would have to move of from at the allotted time.

Hope this helps.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 4
- 2/19/2003 7:46:14 PM   
Veer

Very good, but what actual difference does it make in UV? I never use shock attack anymore as it just results in lots of dead men while giving you the same results as deliberate attack.

So i guess a better question would be: When to use shock attack and when to use deliberate attack?

In time of war the first casualty is truth. - Boake Carter

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 5
- 2/19/2003 7:59:27 PM   
Sonny

My take on it is this (dont know if it is correct) - a battle which might take a week to win with deliberate assault will take only 3 days to win with shock attack, but with higher casualties. So when the enemy invades you want to use shock attack to get rid of the enemy before the next wave lands. If you use deliberate attack you may not get the job done and then the first wave is joined by the second wave and you have more to contend with.:)

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 6
- 2/19/2003 8:32:20 PM   
Mr.Frag

For the purposes of the attack, your combat strength is doubled, If you win, great ... if not, the casulties are going to hurt bad.

In the event of a sure thing, it gets it over with fast. If you calculated wrong it may just turn a win into a loss due to the extra losses on your side.

Deliberate whittles them down safely over time.

Shock attempts to kill them all at once, but can backfire.

Think of it that way...

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 7
- 2/20/2003 1:02:45 AM   
crsutton

When facing an invasion, I try a shock attack right away in the hopes of catching only a portion of the enemy on the beachead and throwing them into the sea. Other than than, only when I am in a hurry or have overwhelming odds.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 8
- 2/20/2003 3:54:37 AM   
siRkid

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sonny
[B]My take on it is this (dont know if it is correct) - a battle which might take a week to win with deliberate assault will take only 3 days to win with shock attack, but with higher casualties. So when the enemy invades you want to use shock attack to get rid of the enemy before the next wave lands. If you use deliberate attack you may not get the job done and then the first wave is joined by the second wave and you have more to contend with.:) [/B][/QUOTE]

I think Sonny hit the nail on the head. If you know its going to be a long fight, use deliberate attacks to wear the enemy down. You have a better chance of winning a deliberate attack. If you need to displace the enemy quickly and know you have the strength to overrun him, use shock attack.

I typically use shock attack on raids or to repulse landings before they get too many troops on the beach. I use deliberate attacks until I see the odds swinging in my favor 3:1 or higher then I go for the kill. I also take into account fortifications. If the enemy has 4 or higher, I use deliberate.

Rick

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 9
- 2/20/2003 5:13:05 AM   
Snigbert

I remember reading something way back about one of the attack types being less negatively influenced by fortifications. I think the shock attack doesnt suffer as much from the fortification level.

"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 10
- 2/20/2003 6:46:42 AM   
dpstafford

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snigbert
[B]I remember reading something way back about one of the attack types being less negatively influenced by fortifications. I think the shock attack doesnt suffer as much from the fortification level. [/B][/QUOTE]
I would have guessed it was the other way round......

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 11
- 2/20/2003 7:08:30 AM   
siRkid

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snigbert
[B]I remember reading something way back about one of the attack types being less negatively influenced by fortifications. I think the shock attack doesnt suffer as much from the fortification level. [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't remember anything like.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 12
- 2/20/2003 11:28:34 AM   
Snigbert

[B]I don't remember anything like.[/B]

Maybe it was another one of those 'intrusive thoughts' my psychiatrist was explaining to me.

"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Shock vs Deliberate Attack? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI