Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/3/2014 8:50:38 PM   
DanSez

(or is it Whisky?)

A comment in one of the whiskey in JocMeister's Return of the Sheep AAR got me thinking about how much varied experience visits this forum (different countries/varied taste). Instead of detracting from Joc's good work, I thought I would shout out here and ask about Your Favorite Whisky.

And I will start off saying it is difficult to pick just one - as whiskey's are varied as the occasions we drink them, so I will start off offering three:

Scotch Single Malt:
I mentioned a recent discovery that I liked a whole lot:
Jura 16 yr Heavy Peat -- deep rich complex flavor without a lot of sting. Easily the best 'discovery' of the year for me.
http://cocktailenthusiast.com/isle-jura-16-year-scotch-whisky-review

For those who like mellow/sweet:
Macallan's 12 yr (aged in Sherry Barrels).
Very good on it's own or paired with a medium/full bodies cigar.
http://scotchnoob.com/2010/12/27/the-macallan-12-year/

Blended Whisky:
Crown Royal Black -- has a robust spicy bite and also a bit higher alcohol content. A very good night cap drink.
http://therumhowlerblog.wordpress.com/whisky-reviews/canadian-whisky/crown-royal-black-canadian-whisky/

(spelling edit)
(darned spelling)

< Message edited by DanSez -- 9/5/2014 6:59:17 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/3/2014 9:37:44 PM   
pontiouspilot

Macallan 18 and Highland Park 25 are as sweet as an angel p...ing on your tongue! Glen Breton (Nova Scotia) has a special edition cask strength that holds up to the big boys....comes in a nifty small wooden mini-cask!! Don't spill on your wife's china cabinet cause it removes finish.

Most over-rated: Bowmore 50 and JW Blue label

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/3/2014 10:40:06 PM   
Jim D Burns

I've never enjoyed drinking scotch, not sure why, just don't like the taste. I do enjoy something with bite, so Jack Daniel's is my preferred whiskey.

Jim

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/3/2014 10:43:24 PM   
Lokasenna

Rye is best. Templeton Rye is my drink of choice when not drinking beer. On the rocks or with homemade sour.

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/3/2014 10:52:42 PM   
geofflambert

12 year single malt: Best I've ever had was Cardhu but I'm mostly a Bombay (regular) gin fan. That Saphire stuff is awful though.

Irish: Bushmills # 1 , Jamieson # 2

Vodka: Stoli, all the other stuff is overpriced schnapps.

Tequila: Jose Cuervo of course.

Rum: Myer's, no bat guano.

Bourbon: I really don't care for it. When I was earning money for college, I worked at Southern Comfort. One of my jobs was to stand on a gantry over a huge vat with a 100 lb. sack of sugar over my shoulder and a carpet knife. I promise, I never peed in the vat or spit in it either, not that that would have mattered.

Rye: I've only ever had Jim Beam, so it's # 1 but I don't care for the stuff.

I'll leave alone port, brandy and cognac but a special mention: Any kind of sake if it's at the correct temperature. If it's at room temperature or lower it's bloody awful.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 12:16:14 AM   
dcpollay

Scotch: Not a regular drinker, but I have a bottle of 12-year Glenfiddich that I got as a college graduation present in 1991. Being saved to be drunk at my wedding (or, more likely, my funeral).

Rum: Pusser's.

Gin: Tanqueray, backed up by Beefeater.

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 12:47:15 AM   
tocaff

Knockando Single Malt for me. If I could only latch on to a bottle here in Brazil...

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 1:00:17 AM   
Chickenboy

Bourbon is my immediate reply. Woodford Reserve is pretty hard to beat, but at a high price point.

Some of the Irish Whiskies are awfully hard to beat. Jameson's 1780 is a nice upper-mid grade blend. Same with Black Bush (of Bushmills distillery). Middleton is about the best stuff I've ever had-almost worth fighting over. Truly incredible stuff.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 1:07:59 AM   
wdolson

My SO said her father used single malt rubbed on her gums when she was teething as a baby. She's always liked them for some reason. We have a McCallum's 12 and 18 in the cupboard. We both agree the 12 is actually better.

Her father also brewed high quality Mexican style beer when she was a kid. (He was born into Mexico's ruling class and the first part of his life he enjoyed all the good things that brought.) She rarely drinks at all, but if she does, it's always quality stuff. She has a story when she started college a frat boy asked her out and took her to a frat party where they had the typical swill beer frat boys on a budget drink. This frat boy thought he was going to get her drunk and have his way with her. When she only politely sipped her beer he asked her if something was wrong and she replied that the beer was awful and if they had anything decent?

It was a rather short night and she never saw the guy again. She soon found some other people of more refined tastes (her school had a lot of rich kids, one of her best buddies was a cousin of the Rothchild family). They set up a bar in one of their dorm rooms and stocked it with top shelf stuff. I guess they made enough to keep the thing going and they never got caught.

I introduced her to French first growth Bordeaux. That was my father's passion in alcohol. We cracked a 20 year old Chateau Haut Brion a few years ago. She was convinced it was vinegar, but I knew better. It was the finest bottle of wine I have ever had. Like silk on the tongue. Since then we shared a chateau Mouton Rothchild with a friend.

She's now a big fan of first growth Bordeauxs.

I wish I could afford them once a year or so.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 1:13:44 AM   
Lokasenna

I've tried Jim Beam Rye, as rye is hard to find. It's not very good. And by that I mean I won't ever be tasting it again. You get what you pay for...

There are some other ryes around here. Knob Creek has one, but I paid $50 for it once and Templeton was better so passing on Knob Creek. Been having a hard time finding others.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 1:31:53 AM   
DanSez

Lots of good brands...

One of my favorite rums is Flor de Cana. It comes in 7,12,18 year batches. All are good but as it gets older, it gets more mellow, less sweet.

Really great paired with a stout cigar like Hoya de Nicaragua or strong maduro.

I like Templeton Rye as well. Thanks for the reminder.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 11
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 1:52:41 AM   
geofflambert

DanSez, I was checking your subject heading. Is "Whisky/Whiskey" some sort of newfangled cocktail? Do you have the recipe?

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 12
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 2:58:01 AM   
pontiouspilot

Dansez...you like the Jura look for the Jura Superstition. I am not a big peat fan and the Superstition has just enough to make it different and not enough to make you think you are sucking on old gym socks!

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 13
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 4:44:21 AM   
DanSez

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

DanSez, I was checking your subject heading. Is "Whisky/Whiskey" some sort of newfangled cocktail? Do you have the recipe?

It comes from the difference in spelling

In USA (and US manufacturers) it is spelled Whiskey - and is my usual default spelling, but I believe the "proper" spelling for manufactured in many parts outside the US is Whisky. And I am appealing to all spellings (and all spirits too -- no prejudice here). What do you like to sit back and chill with?

As to cocktails, I have to confess I drink most of my spirits neat - without ice - straight sipping style. Even tequila, I drink it without lime or salt mostly. Not that I would turn down a good "top shelf" margarita, or that I ever have. ahahha.

Post #: 14
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 4:49:42 AM   
DanSez

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Dansez...you like the Jura look for the Jura Superstition. I am not a big peat fan and the Superstition has just enough to make it different and not enough to make you think you are sucking on old gym socks!

Thank you, I have a birthday coming up soon so I might find a reason to splurge on something new. I will keep that one in mind. In the other thread JM mentioned another single malt Ardberg (unfamiliar with that distillery) and Lokasenna mentioned Famous Grouse the Black Grouse.

Christmas isn't that far away. Or what are you uncorking on New Year's Day?
Cheers to all ...

Post #: 15
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 5:16:17 AM   
JocMeister

For lots of Peat: Ardbeg
For more easy drinking. Oban and Glenmorangie.

Never drink blended whiskey. Stick with single malt and preferably something from the Islay region.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 16
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 8:39:00 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Hibiki 21.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 17
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 9:02:38 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Hey JocMeister - a man after my own taste! Single Malt only. The honey-colored Glenmorangie was my first Scotch and got me hooked on Whisky - I still call it "fluid sunshine". Then I discovered peated whisky. Haven't tasted Ardbeg yet, but I like Lagavulin, Bowmore and Laphroaig from Islay. Also Talisker from Skye, lots of peat as well. I would also recommend Edradour - the smallest (legal )distillery in Scotland with just 3 employees. They are producing - no, hand-crafting small amounts of whisky in different casks (Burgundy casks, Sauterne casks etc.), often only one or two casks per batch i.e. a few hundred bottles. Most are sold "straight from the cask" at 57-60%. They have a peated whisky called Ballechin which is as good as any Islay whisky.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 18
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 12:11:51 PM   
guytipton41

Hi Folks,

The take-away is in pontiouspilot's post. "Don't spill on your wife's china cabinet cause it removes finish." It's all just re-branded paint remover! And the older I get the less I like them.

Cheers,
Guy

quote:

Macallan 18 and Highland Park 25 are as sweet as an angel p...ing on your tongue! Glen Breton (Nova Scotia) has a special edition cask strength that holds up to the big boys....comes in a nifty small wooden mini-cask!! Don't spill on your wife's china cabinet cause it removes finish.

Post #: 19
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 3:27:46 PM   
janh

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

For lots of Peat: Ardbeg
For more easy drinking. Oban and Glenmorangie.

Never drink blended whiskey. Stick with single malt and preferably something from the Islay region.

Sounds perfect! Recently I had a Glenlivet, 16Y if I remember correctly, that stayed the last years in an oaken red wine cask. I have to find that one. Just awesome.

I'll be traveling to Scotland soon and have already put a few distilleries on my wishlist. Islay may drop off my list, though, as there appears to be little else to visit but distilleries. Does anyone have a few good hints which distilleries offer good tastings and tours? Perhaps even paired with good food?

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 20
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 6:04:39 PM   
pontiouspilot

Anyone who can drink Langavulin and Talisker is a real man in my books!! I'll take the sissy finished scotches any day! Macallan had a teenager finished in rum casks...very different, but I have not seen it lately.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 21
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 7:38:04 PM   
Lecivius

I must be a hillbilly. J/D Black for typical drinking, J/B Blue for special occasions.

Post #: 22
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 7:49:30 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanSez

quote:

It comes from the difference in spelling

In USA (and US manufacturers) it is spelled Whiskey - and is my usual default spelling, but I believe the "proper" spelling for manufactured in many parts outside the US is Whisky. And I am appealing to all spellings (and all spirits too -- no prejudice here). What do you like to sit back and chill with?

As to cocktails, I have to confess I drink most of my spirits neat - without ice - straight sipping style. Even tequila, I drink it without lime or salt mostly. Not that I would turn down a good "top shelf" margarita, or that I ever have. ahahha.

I don't think you got my attempt at humor. It goes like this: Take one jigger of whiskey and mix in two jiggers of whisky. I need to discipline myself to use those emoticons more.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 23
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 7:51:07 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: guytipton41

Hi Folks,

The take-away is in pontiouspilot's post. "Don't spill on your wife's china cabinet cause it removes finish." It's all just re-branded paint remover! And the older I get the less I like them.

Cheers,
Guy

quote:

China cabinets?

(in reply to guytipton41)
Post #: 24
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 8:08:16 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I must be a hillbilly. J/D Black for typical drinking, J/B Blue for special occasions.

Dude, ain't nothing wrong with that. Gentleman Jack is one of my favorite Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey's out there.

Of course you know not to call that a 'bourbon' though, right? My Kentucky relatives have made that abundantly clear...

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 25
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 8:09:41 PM   
Lokasenna

I always thought Jim Beam tasted like paint thinner.

Post #: 26
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 8:57:11 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Dude, ain't nothing wrong with that. Gentleman Jack is one of my favorite Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey's out there.

Of course you know not to call that a 'bourbon' though, right? My Kentucky relatives have made that abundantly clear...

Oh yeah, been through THAT conversation!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 27
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 9:25:46 PM   
DanSez

If it is good and bad memories --
(bad)
the first encounter I ever had with "scotch" was with Johnny Walker Red, as a young buck unmarried and living in the dorms of Bilioxi Missippi (USAF tech school). The headache I had the next day steered me clear from anything labeled "scotch" for the next few years until I discovered single malts in a pub in England. (and the good memories start drifting in...)

(but here is a specific one - good memory)
I "came of age" in the mountains of North Carolina. At the time you had to buy your liquor at the ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) store. AND unlike the unfortunate situation the youths of today face, at that time and place you could: Vote at 18, Join the Military and Fight for your country at 18 AND buy whatever kind of spirits you wanted to drink at 18.

Soooo, on that special day, I go strolling into the ABC store, grinning like a babe on Christmas morn and order from the gate/keeper "One Pint of Jack Daniels Black". He glowered slightly and said "Can I see your ID" of which I quickly swooshed it out and said in my best Curly Voice "Cuur-tan-Leee".

I had to go to another store to buy the 6 pack of Miller High Life (as you couldn't buy beer at the ABC store --- ) and shortly I was tooling around the deep back country roads with a couple of good friends drinking my Very First Cocktail - take a big sip off the freshly opened beer and filling it back up with JD.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 28
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 9:37:54 PM   
geofflambert

The cause of hangovers in all alcohol products is histamines. The cheap producers leave them in, the quality ones take them out. If you get a hangover from something, stay away from that brand forever. This goes for beers, wines and whiskeys. Taking an antihistamine will help.

PBR anyone? Acronym used to protect the guilty

Seaounces is a humdinger.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 9/4/2014 10:44:53 PM >

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 29
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 9:44:11 PM   
DanSez

quote:

The cause of hangovers in all alcohol products is histamines. The cheap producers leave them in, the quality ones take them out. If you get a hangover from something, stay away from that brand forever. This goes for beers, wines and whiskeys. Taking an antihistamine will help.

Pabst Blue Ribbon anyone?

Drink water along the way and have a good meal before hand if there is going to be multiple rounds helps.

but you might have a point there, the worst after effects I recall was either at a home party (where I didn't know what was being mixed) or drinking "well-drinks" which tends to be the cheaper brands.

thanks

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI