Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Running WitP-AE on a Windows 8.1 tablet PC

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Running WitP-AE on a Windows 8.1 tablet PC Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Running WitP-AE on a Windows 8.1 tablet PC - 9/11/2014 10:09:16 PM   
tangent

At this point these settings have worked for me on my little Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 tablet PC running an Intel Atom Z3770 processor.

-f -px1366 -py768 -skipVideo -altFont -deepColor

I had a lot of problems getting the game to size properly. It would not accept the tablet's own 1920x1080 resolution without cutting off vital portions of the screen space, windowed or not. When windowed the window would always cause the game be cut off on the vertical, preventing full access to the UI. After a lot of experimentation this size worked. (I can get full HD on my Windows 7 i7 laptop system).

I also disabled the software direct draw flag. Before that the screen would not come up.

Given the system I expected it run slowly. Currently the game is slow on some of the map wide execution phases (e.g. Air superiority) but runs acceptably during actual unit encounters. Nevertheless scrolling and drawing have worked with these settings and leave no screen artifacts.

While drawing and scrolling speeds are fine I am still experimenting with the -cpu flags to see if I can speed up the game wide execution phases. While my Z3770 Atom processor has four cores setting -cpu4 seemed to slow down the game.
Post #: 1
RE: Running WitP-AE on a Windows 8.1 tablet PC - 9/11/2014 11:48:34 PM   
EHansen

Note that setting -cpu4 you are telling it to use only the 4th CPU core, not 4 cores.

This is from the official patch notes:

-cpu# : (cpu1, cpu2, cpu3, cpu4) Switches set the cpu affinity for multi cpu systems. It will do nothing for single cores and will default to using all cores if a core is designated which is not there (for example using -cpu3 on a dual core system). We’ve found this to be very useful on some multi-core systems, especially Intel processors.

If used alone, the -cpu# switches will keep the game running on the CPU specified all the time. If used with the -SingleCpuStart switch, it will only use that core when starting the game. If used with the -SingleCpuOrders switch, it will stay in single CPU mode for starting and the orders phase, but will run in multicore. If one of the SingleCpu switches is used without a -cpu# switch, it will default to cpu 1 when it is in single core.

(in reply to tangent)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Running WitP-AE on a Windows 8.1 tablet PC Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI