Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Torpedoes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Torpedoes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Torpedoes - 9/13/2014 1:15:25 PM   
Ormbane

I tried to refuel and rearm a carrier task force out of Noumea (playing as allies) and got the message that the task force could not be completely rearmed. Doing some checking I noticed that my torpedo bombers were not getting a full supply. The port was well-stocked so I set an air HQ to stock up on torpedoes and waited a few turns but that did not solve the problem. Just for grins I checked my PBYs at the base and they could not get torpedoes either, even though the local air HQ had plenty in stock and there was plenty of supplies at the base. Then I looked at a base with some British forces. I had set an air HQ there to stock up on torpedoes and I noticed that the Vildebeest squad there was getting torpedoes, but a Swordfish squad there, attached to the same air HQ, was not getting torpedoes. The odd thing is that although the Vildebeest is classified as a torpedo bomber when you look at the plane data it doesn't show any torpedoes, while when you look at the data for the Swordfish it shows what type of torpedo the plane carries (if available). I notice that carrier task forces operating out of Pearl Harbor don't seem to have a rearming problem, but PBYs there still seem unable to get torpedoes. Hopefully there is some rational explanation for this but so far it has escaped me . I am guessing that the carrier task forces need a naval HQ at the base where they rearm, so I'll try that next, but I don't understand what is happening with the various planes that are supposed to be able to use torpedoes.
Post #: 1
RE: Torpedoes - 9/13/2014 1:33:07 PM   
wdolson

I'm not sure what's up with your land based bombers, but carrier TFs sometimes take two days to fully restock, especially in smaller ports with limits naval support. The air missions are restocked last. Ships fuel is first. Basically the port tops out on what it can do in one day.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 2
RE: Torpedoes - 9/13/2014 1:46:43 PM   
dr.hal

First of all, air commands have nothing to do with CV torpedo load, air commands only allow for land based torpedo planes to have a torpedo load out (which might explain your swordfish problem if the swordfish are attached to an aircraft carrier). Port size is critical to getting your torpedoes for an aircraft carrier (or other torpedo carrying ships for that matter). Page 211 (9.3.3) has a spreadsheet that lists rearming levels for each size port. The next page in 9.3.3.2 details how torpedoes are managed, which is different from other ordnance. Torpedoes, mines and ASW devices use their weight as the statistic for loading capability of the port, NOT their effect capability (which is doubled) as in other ordinance. As the chart indicates, a size 7 port is the key, in that its ability jumps from a size 6 port significantly (size 6 can load 700 while size 7 jumps to 5,500!).

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 3
RE: Torpedoes - 9/13/2014 1:52:57 PM   
dr.hal

To expand upon Bill's point concerning naval support, the rearming level of a port is increased for every naval support "squad" in the port, thus having a naval command will enhance the capabilities of a smaller port to do more in terms of rearming. It is plus 5 for each naval support squad (not disrupted of course).

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 4
RE: Torpedoes - 9/13/2014 2:21:17 PM   
Yaab

At start the best place to replenish CV torp sorties is Pearl Harbor. Noumea starts as port level 2. You would need to have a supplied AKE/AE or 295 Naval Support squads in Noumea in order to give torps to a CV TF.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 5
RE: Torpedoes - 9/13/2014 2:21:31 PM   
Ormbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

First of all, air commands have nothing to do with CV torpedo load, air commands only allow for land based torpedo planes to have a torpedo load out (which might explain your swordfish problem if the swordfish are attached to an aircraft carrier). Port size is critical to getting your torpedoes for an aircraft carrier (or other torpedo carrying ships for that matter). Page 211 (9.3.3) has a spreadsheet that lists rearming levels for each size port. The next page in 9.3.3.2 details how torpedoes are managed, which is different from other ordnance. Torpedoes, mines and ASW devices use their weight as the statistic for loading capability of the port, NOT their effect capability (which is doubled) as in other ordinance. As the chart indicates, a size 7 port is the key, in that its ability jumps from a size 6 port significantly (size 6 can load 700 while size 7 jumps to 5,500!).

Ok, this explains why the carrier task force can not be rearmed yet at Noumea - manual states that port sizes less than 7 cannot rearm torpedoes and battleship guns. However, I still do not understand why my land based planes (including the Swordfish squad) can't get torpedoes.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 6
RE: Torpedoes - 9/13/2014 2:31:59 PM   
dr.hal

[/quote]
manual states that port sizes less than 7 cannot rearm torpedoes and battleship guns.
[/quote]

Be careful here Ormbane, the manual doesn't state what you write above. You have misread my post and the manual. If a smaller port has enough naval support then it can rearm these weapons. However in most cases it would have to be a LOT of naval support. I don't want you to be under the impression that a smaller port can't do something when it can under the right circumstances. Hal

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 7
RE: Torpedoes - 9/13/2014 2:42:25 PM   
Ormbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

manual states that port sizes less than 7 cannot rearm torpedoes and battleship guns.

Be careful here Ormbane, the manual doesn't state what you write above. You have misread my post and the manual. If a smaller port has enough naval support then it can rearm these weapons. However in most cases it would have to be a LOT of naval support. I don't want you to be under the impression that a smaller port can't do something when it can under the right circumstances. Hal

You are correct, I applied the statement: "Note the large jump at a level 7 port, which basically insures that torpedoes, most mines, and
Battleship size guns cannot be rearmed at smaller ports" from the manual to my current situation, but as you point out the situation could potentially be remedied. I think this also points out some awkward phrasing in the statement I quoted, so perhaps the manual rewrite will make things a bit clearer.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 8
RE: Torpedoes - 9/13/2014 3:44:17 PM   
dr.hal

Please understand, I am not admonishing you, I simply don't want you (and others) to operate under the misrepresentation that smaller ports can't do things. Thanks and welcome to WITP AE!

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 9
RE: Torpedoes - 9/13/2014 6:52:11 PM   
tiemanjw

I think you can use AKE / AE to rearm torpedos too.

As to your swordfish, do you have drop tanks on. Some of the older bi wing Toro planes can only have one or the other.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 10
RE: Torpedoes - 9/13/2014 7:22:44 PM   
Ormbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiemanj

I think you can use AKE / AE to rearm torpedos too.

As to your swordfish, do you have drop tanks on. Some of the older bi wing Toro planes can only have one or the other.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Swordfish does not have drop tanks. Still can't figure out why it and my Catalinas can't get torpedoes. I don't mind using bombs on the Catalinas but the Swordfish is supposed to be a torpedo bomber and I would like to clear up this torpedo mystery in any case.

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 11
RE: Torpedoes - 9/13/2014 11:31:13 PM   
wdolson

What is the mission for the Swordfish? They will use torpedoes if set to naval attack, but the "Using Torpedoes" text turns red if say doing ASW.

The yellow or red text in the middle of the air unit screen says "Using Bombs" or "Using Torpedoes". If it is yellow and not red, you can click on it to toggle between the two. If it is red, it could mean none are available, or you are using a mission that does not use torpedoes.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 12
RE: Torpedoes - 9/14/2014 3:06:31 AM   
Ormbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

What is the mission for the Swordfish? They will use torpedoes if set to naval attack, but the "Using Torpedoes" text turns red if say doing ASW.

The yellow or red text in the middle of the air unit screen says "Using Bombs" or "Using Torpedoes". If it is yellow and not red, you can click on it to toggle between the two. If it is red, it could mean none are available, or you are using a mission that does not use torpedoes.

Bill

That cleared up the mystery for my Catalinas I had them set to ASW but when I switched to naval attack the torpedo text turned yellow. However, the Swordfish is still not cooperating. It is attached to the same air group as the Vildebeest and there are torpedoes available, and both air group are set to naval attack, but the Swordfish still shows red for torpedoes while the Vildebeest shows yellow for torpedoes. Hmm, just noticed that the Swordfish squad shows no ready planes - could have something to do with it (sheepish grin )

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 13
RE: Torpedoes - 9/14/2014 5:20:55 AM   
DanSez

Outside the range of the attached HQ?

I have had problems getting Betties to run with Torps if I move/base them outside of their HQ range.

edit-- oops, sorry I think you might have found the issue
(late night lurker)

good luck

< Message edited by DanSez -- 9/14/2014 6:21:54 AM >

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 14
RE: Torpedoes - 9/14/2014 6:35:16 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanSez

Outside the range of the attached HQ?

I have had problems getting Betties to run with Torps if I move/base them outside of their HQ range.

edit-- oops, sorry I think you might have found the issue
(late night lurker)

good luck

I'm having the same kind of issue at one island base in one of my games.

USN TBs, on Naval attack. HQ with 200 torpedoes in stock. Full aviation support. Etc., etc. Only thing is a red supply exclamation mark on the base. Torpedoes remain in the red.

I even spent PPs to make the HQ and the TB unit the same Top-command (had to change both of them.) I changed the HQ CO to one with high Naval skill from one with high Land skill. The base is AF size 3, which should be enough. The base has over 6000 supply, but it's over-stacked and thus the red bang.

I have supply coming, and will see if that corrects it. This kind of thing is frustrating in the game sometimes, when you just don't know why. At some level I just trust the code is "fair" in the final cut down.

The Moose

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 15
RE: Torpedoes - 9/14/2014 7:06:42 PM   
Alfred

Bullwinkle58,

A lack of supply is indeed your problem.  See post #5 in this thread from last month which quotes an old michaelm post.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3674332

Ormbane,

Suggest in future you provide relevant screenshots.  Your verbal descriptions leave out far too much critical information with the result being that others are forced to guess.  I don't bother guessing anymore.

Alfred

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 16
RE: Torpedoes - 9/14/2014 9:23:24 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Bullwinkle58,

A lack of supply is indeed your problem.  See post #5 in this thread from last month which quotes an old michaelm post.

That was the last thing left I hadn't tried to fix. Interesting things like this aren't in the manual. At least my old PDF manual.

Aside, it's kind of funny that the ability to load torpedoes which are already at the base "inside" the relevant HQ is dependent on a pile of supply somewhere on the island. It takes about as much time and personnel to hang a torpedo on the hard-point as to hang a 1000lb bomb. I could maybe see AF size (rough field might dislodge a longer, more cumbersome weapon on takeoff roll), but supply piles? Why?

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/14/2014 10:23:59 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 17
RE: Torpedoes - 9/14/2014 10:31:43 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Aside, it's kind of funny that the ability to load torpedoes which are already at the base "inside" the relevant HQ is dependent on a pile of supply somewhere on the island. It takes about as much time and personnel to hang a torpedo on the hard-point as to hang a 1000lb bomb. I could maybe see AF size (rough field might dislodge a longer, more cumbersome weapon on takeoff roll), but supply piles? Why?

Something of a guess here, but torpedoes were a much more complex and costly device than an iron bomb. Not as many were produced as opposed to bombs and maybe the Devs used the game devices for torp supply to limit their use somewhat. Remember mines in the Pacific. Now we have supply limits for mines. Just MHO.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 18
RE: Torpedoes - 9/15/2014 12:56:12 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

Something of a guess here, but torpedoes were a much more complex and costly device than an iron bomb. Not as many were produced as opposed to bombs and maybe the Devs used the game devices for torp supply to limit their use somewhat. Remember mines in the Pacific. Now we have supply limits for mines. Just MHO.

No. I get that torps are expensive. In RL they were WAAAAY more rare and expensive than in the game. To put 200 into an HQ is really a trivial supply expense in the game. But in my case the HQ already has the fish, and the HQ is on the island with the TBs right now. I just can't LOAD them because the supply pile on the island isn't big enough. I'm saying supply piles shouldn't correlate at all with the ability to hang the weapon. AF size might, but that isn't the test. You can fly a TB from a size 1 AF.

The Moose

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 19
RE: Torpedoes - 9/15/2014 1:40:14 AM   
Alfred

Ahem ... (cough) ... (cough) ....

1.  The manual does have a passing reference to the need for supply being present (page 166).

2.  AF size is the test.

3. Can't launch those TB on an offensive mission from a size 1 AF.

The need to have additional supply is consistent with many other game abstractions.  Note how dramatically reduced the supply requirement is when an Air HQ is co-located.

Alfred

< Message edited by Alfred -- 9/15/2014 2:41:23 AM >

Post #: 20
RE: Torpedoes - 9/15/2014 2:11:42 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Ahem ... (cough) ... (cough) ....

1.  The manual does have a passing reference to the need for supply being present (page 166).

2.  AF size is the test.

3. Can't launch those TB on an offensive mission from a size 1 AF.

The need to have additional supply is consistent with many other game abstractions.  Note how dramatically reduced the supply requirement is when an Air HQ is co-located.

Alfred

I assume you mean this one, lone sentence?

"In addition, the base must be able to expend additional supply based on the size of the AF.
Smaller airfields will require more supply to execute the mission than AFs above size 4."

That is, to be charitable, a tiny mention with no specificity.

The base has, now, 4800 supply, two Air HQs with a total of 400 torpedoes. It has a supply requirement of about 15,000. So no TBs fly. Bombers do. I understand that's how it works, but to the OP's point 1) there's no way to know those limits from the manual, and 2) they're dumb limits. If torpedoes are restricted so should bombs be. No difference.

Also, where in the manual does it say you can't launch offensive TB missions from a Level 1? I can't find it, and test in a h-to-h seems to allow it. At least torpedoes aren't in red at such a base.

Tanjore is unimproved at 1(7). An Air HQ was moved there and drew 200 torpedoes. A small unit of TBs was moved there as well. On Naval attack Torpedoes is in yellow. If there's anything in the interface to indicate these planes won't attack with torpedoes I can't find it.

Attachment (1)

The Moose

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 21
RE: Torpedoes - 9/15/2014 2:12:47 AM   
Bullwinkle58

The base:

Attachment (1)

The Moose

Post #: 22
RE: Torpedoes - 9/15/2014 2:32:39 AM   
rustysi

quote:

where in the manual does it say you can't launch offensive TB missions from a Level 1?

Sorry Moose, here it is...

P167 7.2.1.13.1 Size 1 Airfields.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Post #: 23
RE: Torpedoes - 9/15/2014 11:55:48 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

where in the manual does it say you can't launch offensive TB missions from a Level 1?

Sorry Moose, here it is...

P167 7.2.1.13.1 Size 1 Airfields.

Fair enough. I searched the manual on every occurrence of "torpedo", not Airfield. I did know this rule, but I have it mentally filed under "CAP only at Level 1", not by all the things that aren't CAP. Just how my mind works, which Alfred is long familiar with.

But your reference makes my other point even more so. The interface here lies. It does this in a few cases. The interface shows the player without an encyclopedic knowledge of the manual that a naval attack from that base, WITH torpedoes, has been ordered and might occur. But it never, ever will. The code does a supply check and reds-out the Torpedoes line if a check is failed. But a Level 1 is an inherent check, always present as it's in the rules. But "Torpedoes" shows yellow, which in the interface conventions means "good to go."

I know it won't ever be fixed, but I like to point it out.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/15/2014 12:56:40 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 24
RE: Torpedoes - 9/15/2014 6:58:29 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Bullwinkle58,

That was the last thing left I hadn't tried to fix. Interesting things like this aren't in the manual. At least my old PDF manual.

The support crews will not load the torpedoes if they're not getting their usual allotments of cigarettes, snickers bars, and girlie magazines. Those are among the first things to go when you're overstacked.

Post #: 25
RE: Torpedoes - 9/15/2014 7:32:16 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

The support crews will not load the torpedoes if they're not getting their usual allotments of cigarettes, snickers bars, and girlie magazines. Those are among the first things to go when you're overstacked.

I think I could find a Milky Way (I think Snickers was post-war) in 4800 supply points!

The Moose

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 26
RE: Torpedoes - 9/15/2014 9:23:28 PM   
rustysi

quote:

The interface shows the player without an encyclopedic knowledge of the manual

Not that I'm taking offense to this phrase, but I can assure you I have no encylopedic knowledge of the manual. Hell I can't even spell it (thank you). I just did a search in response to your question using 'offensive' instead, because I had a vague memory (all my memories are vague) of something about level 1 airfields.

OK, that being said I have a different way of looking at things. Many things in the game are abstracted. All games are that way (at least at our level). This is one of those areas in which things become a bit muddled because there are several conditions. Some of which override/take precedence over the others. Now I doubt this will wiork for you, but its how I look at it.

HQ 'pays' for torps:

HQ: I ordered torps, but I haven't got 'em!
Supply: I don't have the requisition sir.
HQ: Whatta mean you don't have the $%@#$ requisition.
Supply: Oh, wait here it is.
HQ: Well...!
Supply: Well... sir... your torps went to Norfork.

Sorry Moose I couldn't help myself.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 9/15/2014 10:24:19 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: Torpedoes - 9/15/2014 10:19:19 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

Not that I'm taking offense to this phrase, but I can assure you I have no encylopedic knowledge of the manual. Hell I can't even spell it (thank you). I just did a search in response to your question using 'offensive' instead, because I had a vague memory (all my memories are vague) of something about level 1 airfields.

OK, that being said I have a different way of looking at things. Many things in the game are abstracted. All games are that way (at least at our level). This is one of those areas in which things become a bit muddled because there are several conditions. Some of which override/take precedence over the others. Now I doubt this will wiork for you, but its how I look at it.

HQ 'pays' for torps:

Unfortunately, some of my posts are in that category.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 28
RE: Torpedoes - 9/15/2014 10:23:04 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

HQ 'pays' for torps:

I remember something with level 1 AFs, but it's CAP. In my adlled mind I also plunk "torpedo attack" in a different pigeonhole than "naval attack." NAs are bombs. Torpedoes are their own set of problems, so I think of them in different categories. I could have read that manual section and STILL not thought "torpedo attack" unless I focused on it as I have in this thread.

I rarely forget to order torpedoes at the HQ level. Used to be a US Navy supply officer. I order stuff.

My point about encyclo. knowledge was if you don't recall that manual section the interface shows you that the TBs will fly with fish if they get a DL on a target and clear checks. The Naval Attack button isn't greyed out and the "Torpedoes" line is yellow. I don't expect the button to grey out (be nice though), but it is possible to insert an error trap for a Level 1 AF whenever TBs are displayed. Red, red, red. It would be an alert to check the AF level. At least know that mission ain't gonna work out for the best. There's a check for supply level, but not AF level. The former isn't in the manual specifically (my comment to Alfred) and the other, which has the missing check, IS in the manual, as you showed.

Crazy, man. Just crazy.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/15/2014 11:24:10 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 29
RE: Torpedoes - 9/16/2014 1:31:18 AM   
rustysi

quote:

I don't expect the button to grey out (be nice though), but it is possible to insert an error trap for a Level 1 AF whenever TBs are displayed. Red, red, red.

Agreed.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Torpedoes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI