Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Other Eastern Front Classics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Other Eastern Front Classics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Other Eastern Front Classics - 2/20/2003 6:03:28 PM   
Spaceman

... SPeaking of Classic Eastern Front games, how many of you were/are serious 'proper' wargaming fans? I mean the real thing with boards and counters and dice and serious requirements for floor or table spacewhenever finding a new place to live ;)

The reason I ask is that I have a couple of these wargames from manufacturers 'The Gamers' - I regarding Tunisia 44 and one called 'Enemy at the Gates' - in and around Stalingrad. Both are really good games, operational level with excellent mechanics, and a very promising series. They were pretty much the last serious board and counter wargames I saw in the shops, and the developer's next target was just the Khorsun Pocket. The Gamers also made non-WWII games and WWII tactical level games.

Anyone have any idea what happend to these games, or the developers - or did they marge into PC wargaming development instead?

Cheers for any answers

Space§man
Post #: 1
- 2/20/2003 10:17:52 PM   
Kent Pfeiffer

The Gamers is still around, sort of. They were bought out by Multiman Publishing (Curt Schilling's Advanced Squad Leader company) about a year and a half ago, but all the Gamers series games still exist. The last OCS game to be published was Guderian's Blitzkrieg II which came out right before the sale. As for the future of OCS, a game covering the first year of the Korean War will be released in the next couple of months or so and Dean Essig is working hard on a Case Blue game that will link ot GB2.

(in reply to Spaceman)
Post #: 2
- 2/21/2003 6:39:24 PM   
Spaceman

Excellent news! - do you have a website or contact details???

Thanks

Space§man

(in reply to Spaceman)
Post #: 3
- 2/21/2003 10:01:48 PM   
Kent Pfeiffer

Sure, it's just [url]www.multimanpublishing.com.[/url] Like most board wargame publishers these days, they've gone to a Pxxx system where the games won't be produced until a certain number of people have pre-ordered it. Korea passed its mark several weeks ago and the two Civil War games are slowly getting closer. One nice thing about MMP's preorder system, unlike many companies, they don't charge you for the game until it's ready to be shipped.

(in reply to Spaceman)
Post #: 4
- 2/22/2003 5:28:51 AM   
Spaceman

Thanks Kent

I am home :D

Space§man

(in reply to Spaceman)
Post #: 5
- 2/22/2003 6:00:47 AM   
Duncan Maggs

I have many of The Gamers OCS series games but unfortunately don't have the time to play them. The maps are also fairly large so it is difficult to find space to set them up and leave them. Also you need to play boardgames face to face and unlike the happy gaming days of my youth there are no opponents now who can spare the time (or are allowed to!).

The OCS series is well thought out and detailed - perhaps too much for someone who comes home from work and wants to relax with a wargame. The Gamers OCS series should be converted to computer so that the PC can handle the bean counting aspect of the game leaving the players to make the strategy. Also there are far more opponents on the net to play against who don't have to leave home to play against me.

(in reply to Spaceman)
Post #: 6
- 2/22/2003 6:48:03 AM   
BrubakerII

I have to admit to having Third Reich and Panzer Blitz on my shelves. I have fond memories of playing them but have no time anymore what with such good reproductions on the computer and all. And now I can play you guys from all over the world instead of trying to get my next door neighbour to understand why he should attack with armour and defend with infantry :(

Brubaker

(in reply to Spaceman)
Post #: 7
- 2/22/2003 9:00:30 AM   
Spaceman

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BrubakerII
[B]And now I can play you guys from all over the world instead of trying to get my next door neighbour to understand why he should attack with armour and defend with infantry :(

Brubaker [/B][/QUOTE]

:confused: :rolleyes:

Having the computer deal with the rules instead of having to keep it all in your head is cool.
I have mostly played solitaire due to the lack of interested FTF people wherever I have been.
I am looking forward to some proper competition where I can't cheat ;)

Space§man

(in reply to Spaceman)
Post #: 8
- 2/22/2003 12:50:53 PM   
Spaceman

:D :D :D

just boguht loads of stuff - totallt beyond my means really, but The Gamers seems to have done well. Could not resist the Guderian Blitzkrieg II! But the games are $$$ive! Also decided to try a GHT Game (Ukraine 43). Now I have to sit and wait for days ...

Ah well, there is always the amazingly atmoshperic Warcraft III to tide me over.

Cheers

Space§man

(in reply to Spaceman)
Post #: 9
- 3/11/2003 5:51:01 AM   
LyleGorch

To answer Spaceman's first question:

Back in '87 I bought several card tables and moved my mattress underneath them in order to play "Fire in the East" in a tiny rented room. I set up the whole map and got a few turns completed, then my landlady's cleaning lady came in when I was at work and moved the tables around to vacuum. Talk about heartbreak...all the stacks toppled and maps rearranged.

I never completed FITE -- moved on to Grigsby's classics. I think the maps, counters and card tables are in a storage facility somewhere in NYC (long story).

My dream (never realized) was to make a small fortune, rent a large office space and assemble the entire Europa system.

Does this qualify me as a Grognard?

"That's what we was doin'!"

(in reply to Spaceman)
Post #: 10
- 3/11/2003 9:59:58 PM   
Spaceman

... Somewhat! Floorspace is a never ending story. How to deal with the inevitable cleaning needs / dust buildup also.

In Sweden we have lots of spacious flats with hardwood floors. Ideal.

Must say that am intrigued by FITE etc.
Never managed to deploy the complete Enemy at The Gates.
Boguht Guderian II and am hoping for a larger flat!
How the heck to play the whole thing, linked up ???

Another problem - get a sufficiently large map and you can't even get to the stacks in the middle?

Now I see the advantages of computers...

Space§man

BTW - do you ever reroll? ;)

(in reply to Spaceman)
Post #: 11
- 3/11/2003 10:00:59 PM   
Spaceman

(in reply to Spaceman)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Other Eastern Front Classics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI