Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fighter craft control

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Fighter craft control Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fighter craft control - 10/6/2014 1:50:38 PM   
zoommooz11

Just researching/using fighters and bomber for the first time and have a couple of questions.

1. At my bases (no carriers yet) they auto build fighter/bombers at a 50/50 ratio, and also auto launch them. If a tell my fighters to land, they do, and then immediately relaunch themselves. If your trying to upgrade them, there doesn't seem to be enough time to do this.

2. Bombers vs missile bombers. Because the building of bombers seems totally automated, when you have two different bomber types, how is this controlled, and due to the problems in questions 1, how can I upgrade them?

The questions arouse from my current game as I researched the first fighter tech, whacked some fighter modules on my bases and with all the automation, I had a 50/50 fighter/bomber force flying around my base. I then just finished researching missile bombers, and cannot seem to upgrade from the standard bomber. Is there some settings in automation control that I am missing?
Post #: 1
RE: Fighter craft control - 10/6/2014 3:14:43 PM   
Aeson

quote:

1. At my bases (no carriers yet) they auto build fighter/bombers at a 50/50 ratio, and also auto launch them. If a tell my fighters to land, they do, and then immediately relaunch themselves. If your trying to upgrade them, there doesn't seem to be enough time to do this.

I'm assuming you're trying to decommission fighters or bombers to change the balance and perhaps type of bomber? If so, I would recommend ordering up a bunch of fighters and bombers in the ratio you desire and then decommissioning the currently existing detachment. I would further recommend not bothering about the fighter-bomber balance, because the next time you lose a fighter or bomber, the computer will add something to return the fighter wing to the 50-50 ratio. Note that if you want to manually reconfigure fighter forces, you must do so on a ship-by-ship basis; the last time I looked, there wasn't a fleet-level interface with which to do this.

quote:

2. Bombers vs missile bombers. Because the building of bombers seems totally automated, when you have two different bomber types, how is this controlled, and due to the problems in questions 1, how can I upgrade them?

I am not certain, but I suspect that the way that the computer chooses the bomber type (and, for that matter, which of two or more similar-level components to use in an automatically generated ship design or automatically upgraded ship design) is by how recently the bomber type (or component) was researched, with the preference going to the more recently developed component. As such, I suspect that if you want to use torpedo bombers in your end-game fighter bays, you would need to fully develop the missile bomber line before you finish developing the torpedo bomber line. I am not certain of this, however.

If you want to, you can manually change the bomber configuration by ordering up a bunch of bombers of the type you want and then decommissioning the existing bombers, with the caveat that I rather suspect that the game will automatically replace losses with whatever type it had been using before you went through and switched things over (although it may choose a new type if you complete a bomber tech between your manual configuration of your bomber force and the time your bombers start taking losses, so you could potentially not need to worry about this side of things if you're just reconfiguring the bomber force to better match whatever is being upgraded next).

Better fighter management has been requested in the past, though as far as I am aware, nothing has come of it thus far. I'd suggest getting used to having the 50-50 split between fighters and whatever the most recently developed bomber happens to be, and not holding your breath in anticipation of a fighter management patch. It might be possible to separate the fighter types out into different types of carrier bays, but it does not appear to be possible from the little that I've looked at. Another alternative is to find the Fighters.TXT file and mod the tech level entries for each bomber so that the ones that you want to have always have greater listed tech levels than their equivalents in the unwanted branch, but know that the computer's fighter wings will be using the same tech level listing to choose its fighter forces. I don't know that this second modding option will affect games which are currently in progress, though you could always try, and I would always suggest backing up any files before you edit them, so that you have a usable restore point just in case you screw something up.

(in reply to zoommooz11)
Post #: 2
RE: Fighter craft control - 10/7/2014 5:44:16 AM   
zoommooz11

Thanks for the reply.

I can handle the 50/50, but a couple of your idea's I cannot do.

"If you want to, you can manually change the bomber configuration by ordering up a bunch of bombers of the type you want and then decommissioning the existing bombers"

I cannot order any bombers, as the button states 'squadron already full', and I cannot land the bombers, too then press the upgrade button, as bombers land/relaunch straight away. Any new bases have the missile bombers, but any existing one still have the old.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 3
RE: Fighter craft control - 10/8/2014 3:44:20 AM   
Aeson

Try pausing the game, selecting the bombers you want to get rid of, deleting them, and cancelling any replacements that the game automatically orders, then ordering up new bombers. I'm not sure if you can select the type, as it's been quite some time since I really played with the fighter management options, and I could swear there used to be separate buttons for each type of bomber, but it looks that's either no longer the case or a false memory. I could also swear you used to be able to queue up more fighters and bombers than the carrier could carry, but it seems that that too is either a false memory or something that changed since the last time I looked at fighter management.

You can manually delete fighters and bombers by selecting the fighter or bomber, and in the lower right corner of the unit details screen in the lower right corner of the screen, there should be a button that allows you to decommission the selected fighter or bomber.

In the future, I would suggest that you choose your research order so that you research the final version of the bomber type you don't want to use before you research the final version of the bomber type you do want to use. You can use the game editor to reset your tech progress if you want to change the bomber type which is most recently researched by selecting 'edit empires -> (select your empire) -> research tab -> select techs,' and if you disable a tech, exit the editor, unpause the game for a little, and then go back into the editor and re-enable the tech, it appears that it changes the time stamp for when the tech was developed to the time unlocked by the editor. Note that I am not entirely certain that this will work, and you'll still need to go through and remove all the bombers of the unwanted types before the computer will automatically replace them with the more recently unlocked type (or wait for something to kill off the existing bombers of the type you want replaced).

(in reply to zoommooz11)
Post #: 4
RE: Fighter craft control - 10/10/2014 12:33:16 PM   
Jeeves

I've been playing for five years, and never bothered messing with the ratio since 50/50 works fine for me...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to zoommooz11)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Fighter craft control Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI