Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/16/2014 11:37:25 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: fogger

Puck a duck. Half my army gone and that is what is coming at me. I suppose it is too late for

Well it is only a few bits of data so onwards and downwards (?)

Maybe they'll bring vodka.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 181
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/16/2014 11:47:09 PM   
larryfulkerson

The way that Vodka tastes it's only good for fueling our tanks.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 182
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/17/2014 6:25:55 AM   
Cfant

I think Larry tries to establish his southern front to near to the german lines - they woun't have time to dig in. If there aren't already some nice germans to help them out of the trains at arrival

Thanks Fogger for the explanations! And I wouldn't fear the reinforcement-list. A lot of troops spawn in Leningrad, which is, well: in german hands. "Alles in deutscher Hand!" as it is said in german I think this is the case with some other reinforcements, too. So Larry won't get all of this nice toys he is waiting for

< Message edited by Cfant2 -- 11/17/2014 7:28:10 AM >

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 183
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/19/2014 12:12:18 AM   
fogger

The Leningrad front. At the bottom of the screen is the top of Larry's MLR. I have 2 panzer divisions about to race to the Volga River. It is a big if but if I can get to it before Larry can extend his MLR I may be able to turn it.

Attachment (1)

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 184
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/19/2014 12:19:32 AM   
fogger

I did not clear all my rear area on the Leningrad front and look at what has appeared 2 Inf divisions and 1 regt. I had better star on the other areas of my front as I can not afford to loose any rail line or bridges.

Attachment (1)

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 185
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/20/2014 11:44:34 AM   
fogger

The start of turn 28. I have created 2 pockets totalling 11+ divisions last turn and this turn hope to complete another pocket of 8+ divisions. Larry's north flank is hanging in the air. I am hoping that if I push far enough that Larry will start to redeploy some of his forces from the south and take pressure off my centre. Every time I break into his front line he has enough units in reserve to contain the break in. With the fall of Murmansk I have had a number of divisions freed up so I am now considering an advance on Archangelsk.

Attachment (1)

Thought for the day:

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 186
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/20/2014 11:49:32 AM   
fogger

Larry has started shipping some units to Archangelsk but not enough to match the forces that I am moving into the AO

Attachment (1)

Thought for the day:

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 187
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/21/2014 9:57:55 PM   
fogger

How good is this for CB fire. This should put a smile on any old salt's face.

Attachment (1)

Thought for the day:

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 188
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/23/2014 5:55:17 AM   
fogger

Larry, did you give that destroyer a unit medal?

I have just forwarded Larry my turn 29 and this is an update. On the southern front I have finally been able to breakout of one of my bridge heads.

Attachment (1)

Thought for the day:

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 189
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/23/2014 6:03:31 AM   
fogger

In the centre I am starting to break in from the south.

Attachment (1)

Thought for the day:

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 190
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/23/2014 6:06:12 AM   
fogger

The old Leningrad front may shortly be renamed the Volga River North front.

Attachment (1)

Thought for the day:

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 191
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/24/2014 5:49:11 AM   
fogger

I have just sent my turn 30 to Larry. This is overview of Army Group North and my proposed stop lines. It is now the 1st Oct and I will have to start digging in for the winter

Attachment (1)

Thought for the day:

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 192
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/24/2014 5:55:39 AM   
fogger

In the centre I have finally been able to break in. The question is now "will General Mud " save Larry's centre or is he going to cut and run?

Attachment (1)

Thought for the day:

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 193
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/25/2014 2:28:21 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the front lines now. The Axis forces are racing to finish the job before winter weather sets in. Trying
to withdraw the Soviets from engagement isn't working out at all and so I've decided to defend in place and
try to hold up the Germans as long as possible to permit me to rail some reinforcements to the places they
need to be to form a working front line from north to south. The problem is that I'm still outnumbered in the
north especially after the fall of Leningrad. It's looking iffy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 194
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/25/2014 2:40:57 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the expected reinforcements for next turn, T32: And the stream of reinforcements doesn't start slowing down from
this fire hose of reinforcements until T35. And after that there's another big load coming etc. I'm going to be swimming
in reinforcements. That ought to be enough to form another front line somewhere.

EDIT: It's just occurred to me that a lot of those reinforcements listed are supposed to respawn in hexes I don't own
anymore. Like those in and near Leningrad. Those reinforcements won't spawn until I own the hex again, if ever. So I'll
have to keep that in mind.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 11/25/2014 3:44:15 PM >

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 195
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/25/2014 8:41:01 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's how the air war is going now:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 196
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/25/2014 11:54:06 PM   
fogger

Turn 31 SITREP
The Mud has arrived. However with Ron's Mod combat operations do not stop. But if you attack you can expect heavy losses.

In the centre I have finally broken into Larry's rear area. My recon units now hold all the road crossings in Larry's rear so it would be interesting to see Larry's supply levels in what may be one big pocket. I have 3 panzer divisions in the process of securing the inner and outer rings of the pocket. I am also trying to move my Infantry up to secure a front line before the snow arrives. In the centre I will keep my front line away from Larry's so that he has to advance (costing supply) to make contact.

Attachment (1)

Thought for the day:

Post #: 197
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/26/2014 12:09:48 AM   
fogger

Down on the southern end of the front I maybe in trouble. There are a number of areas that once the snow arrives and the river freeze up that Larry can counter attack into my rear and I have very little in the way of reserves to block. Also there is really no defence line. Not sure what to do here. If I can complete the pocketing and destruction of Larry's centre group I would be prepared to conduct a fighting withdrawal as I have ground to give up.

Attachment (1)

Thought for the day:

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 198
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/26/2014 12:19:13 AM   
fogger

Army group north has no front line, it is more of a screen. There are a number of pockets in my rear but I am not worry about them. They will slowly die and upon their death I will have forces with which to create a line. There is no strategic value for Larry in this area as it would be nearly impossible to get to Leningrad from here.

Attachment (1)

Thought for the day:

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 199
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/26/2014 12:29:47 AM   
fogger

Army Group Far North has 6 divisions (with more on the way) and is attacking towards Archangelsk (a 5% supply point). The objective of this attack is to get Larry to commit forces to it defence which he will need else where or risk losing the supply point. If I can take Archangelsk then my entire northern flank will be secure and I will be able to move those 6 divisions elsewhere

Attachment (1)

Thought for the day:

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 200
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/26/2014 3:36:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

Out of that long list of stuff I was going to get in T32 this is what I actually received: As you can see a lot of it is worn down and needs
rest and needs to be fattened up with replacements. A turn or two of rest is in order for these units. Problem is I don't have a quiet
area to assign them to. I've been railing all the reinforcements to the area where they might be needed soon and the units that
arrive in pieces...........I've been railing the pieces to Moscow to put them back together again.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 201
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/28/2014 4:50:58 AM   
Edwire

quote:

ORIGINAL: fogger

Turn 31 SITREP
The Mud has arrived. However with Ron's Mod combat operations do not stop. But if you attack you can expect heavy losses.

In the centre I have finally broken into Larry's rear area. My recon units now hold all the road crossings in Larry's rear so it would be interesting to see Larry's supply levels in what may be one big pocket. I have 3 panzer divisions in the process of securing the inner and outer rings of the pocket. I am also trying to move my Infantry up to secure a front line before the snow arrives. In the centre I will keep my front line away from Larry's so that he has to advance (costing supply) to make contact.

wow the situation in the center is very interesting. Had a thought maybe the Soviet had a chance to be aggressive and counter attack using troops in their secondary defense line. But then again, the recon theater should be very poor for the soviet and had no idea how many axis unit had broken through, it might be too great risk.

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 202
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/28/2014 5:29:46 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edwire
wow the situation in the center is very interesting. Had a thought maybe the Soviet had a chance to be aggressive
and counter attack using troops in their secondary defense line. But then again, the recon theater should be very
poor for the soviet and had no idea how many axis unit had broken through, it might be too great risk.

Hey Edwire dude:
That's a very interesting idea and I've been tossing it back and forth weighing the pros and cons and I've decided that
something along those lines would make for a more interesting game and so you can stay tuned and watch me as
I break off some units and try to advance to where my troops are being held hostage so I can try to free them from
the Axis chains. This might be a good time to turn this game around and winter time is the classic time for the Soviets
to fight back.

(in reply to Edwire)
Post #: 203
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/28/2014 12:18:15 PM   
MAurelius

one thing I find strange: why do you keep your planes on airfields one hex behind the front line??? - they can easily be destroyed by enemy artillery.....

just a thought....

also: why do you form a straight line from north to south, disregarding any advantages the terrain might offer? the line is one hex deep - he only has to break through in one area - and the entire line is outmaneuvered.....

< Message edited by MAurelius -- 11/28/2014 1:18:38 PM >

formerly known as SoliInvictus202

Post #: 204
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/28/2014 2:39:44 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MAurelius
one thing I find strange: why do you keep your planes on airfields one hex behind the front line??? - they can easily be destroyed by enemy artillery.....

just a thought....

I shouldn't keep my planes within range of Axis arty. Good catch. I'll have to watch that in the future.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MAurelius
also: why do you form a straight line from north to south, disregarding any advantages the terrain might offer? the line is one hex deep - he only has to break through in one area - and the entire line is outmaneuvered.....

Forming a straight line from north to south prevents having the Axis offenders from getting three attacking hexes on any of my defenders.
And the line is only one hex deep because I'm outnumbered and have only these few units to form the line with. More reinforcements
are coming but haven't reached the front lines yet. Rest assured that I plan on having a proper front line where I defend in depth.

(in reply to MAurelius)
Post #: 205
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/30/2014 8:38:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's my losses in ground troops so far:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 206
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 11/30/2014 9:41:28 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the front lines as of T34:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 207
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 12/1/2014 9:42:58 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's how the air war is going in T35. There's been a lessening of Axis interdiction and my rail trips are actually making it all
the way to their destination now. Without fail. No Axis interdiction at all. I'm wondering where all the INT went. My guess is that
John is holding them back waiting for better conditions, since the weather is really bad and resting the planes is a really good
idea. See, John is always thinking. He's crafty.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 208
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 12/1/2014 10:17:44 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's my air losses so far. The air war is unrepresentative at the moment because of the weather I'm guessing. My planes
are still on full alert and I'm leaving them active for the pitifully small contribution they might make at the front lines.

I-16's are being pumped out as fast as the factories can produce them and most of them are being thrown into battle w/o
some prep first. Which means their proficiency is in the 20's and 30's when they are brand new and those I leave on one-dot
settings. Two-dot attacks are carried out by those planes who have a proficiency of 50% or more. I don't have any three-dot
units ( planes ) yet because of the low proficiency of most of the units. I'd say only about 20% of the planes are two-dots so
far. Everybody else is on minimize losses.

EDIT: Oh, yeah......I was going to address the British planes I have yellow-boxed below. I've been through the fleet and haven't
found any British planes so I'm guessing these are the planes near Sicily on garrison duty. I can't fly them out of there to Italy, etc.
so they are just eye candy so far. I'm guessing they are to be part of Lend Lease when that kicks in. In some future turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/1/2014 11:20:43 PM >

Post #: 209
RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) - 12/1/2014 10:27:48 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's something I've just gotten into the habit of doing. The unit itself is a mix of plane types and I kinda wanted them to fly
together for mutual protection and so I Googled the shortest range bomber and found it to be 31 so I'm using 31 as the range
of the unit so they can always fly mostly together. Then I can move them up close to the front to be in range for a lot of it. The
bombers can act as bait for the Axis bombers and the fighters of the unit can fly top cover. I didn't really Google the range of
the bombers......I just used the equipment panel for each.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again) Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI