Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Guide Newbies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Guide Newbies Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Guide Newbies - 12/9/2014 1:00:41 AM   
Christolos

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Tactical Rounds is up at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA5kbyT_9SM&feature=youtu.be

Many thanks for these excellent videos!

While I am not a newbie to wargaming in general, I must admit that there is a fair amount of stuff to learn not only to become proficient at playing TOAW III but to also understand the game mechanics so as to appreciate the game and avoid the frustration that can sometimes set in when trying to learn something new.

Keep up the great work!

C

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 61
RE: Guide Newbies - 12/9/2014 1:33:46 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: CC1

Hi,

I started looking at your first move in your "France 1944 D-Day" scenario (to get some insights into helping me with the game learning curve) and had a question regarding the tactic of choosing a limited number of units to attack the beach hexes when you could otherwise attack with more units.

You do allude to the fact that it would be wasteful to attack with more units because the Germans have a lot of supporting artillery but I was wondering if you could elaborate on this a little more. Especially in the context of your doing this in the Omaha beach sector when facing a much tougher force.

I can sort of understand that you want to avoid defensive fire from the supporting artillery but wouldn't you also want to maximize the amount of damage you could deal to the defending unit as well?

Is it that the optimal way to do this is to essentially attack in waves (a few units at a time over successive combat rounds) which also helps to minimize losses?

My sense is that this is the case but it is not intuitively obvious for a beginner.

The neat thing about TOAW is that there are no guarantees of anything when it comes to combat. I can't profess to having had the perfect solution to the problem - just that it was good enough to get a satisfactory lodgement. So, you might want to try it with more assaulters and see what happens. But I suspect that you will find that it not only wastes your squads but may also waste rounds (from the increase in attack complexity). As I planned it, most of the combat power comes from the invulnerable ranged equipment, not the vulnerable ground forces. Throwing more troops into the assault reverses that ratio. And, it's hard to get a large number of ground units to all drop out of the combat at the same time, resulting in expending extra rounds. Maximizing combat phases is critical in this first turn.

Note that since I wrote that AAR, version 3.4 has posted, and that adds the Assault Ratio test, so you will always want to have ground assaulters of at least equal strength to the defenders or risk weakening the support strength. But note that I voluntarily complied with this rule anyway in that AAR. Going beyond that requirement gives no further benefit in that regard (though that will change in the next version).

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 62
RE: Guide Newbies - 12/10/2014 12:40:27 AM   
Christolos

Thanks, your reply helps a lot.

So there will be further benefits to having an AR of greater than 100% in the next version?

Will the further benefits be proportional to the degree the AR is over 100%?

I take it you mean version 3.5 when you speak of the next version, right?

Thanks again,

C

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 63
RE: Guide Newbies - 12/10/2014 2:44:41 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: CC1

Thanks, your reply helps a lot.

So there will be further benefits to having an AR of greater than 100% in the next version?

Will the further benefits be proportional to the degree the AR is over 100%?

I take it you mean version 3.5 when you speak of the next version, right?

Thanks again,

C

I keep getting myself in trouble about that. Word on the next whatever will have to come from Matrix officials.

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 64
RE: Guide Newbies - 12/13/2014 6:40:14 AM   
sPzAbt653

Formations & Support/Cooperation is up at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SN5KL0moec

(in reply to tinkyx)
Post #: 65
RE: Guide Newbies - 12/19/2014 1:45:39 PM   
Hyding

tinky

It has been a month since your first post.
I see the help and guides that have been suggested to you. How have
your games been going.

I suppose it is to late to suggest jumping in on a small scenario
like Arracourt. The small scenarios let you get a quick game in and
it is easier to manage your attacks to avoid "turn burn" (or at least
make it easier to figure out where problems come from.

You don't have to master the game to have fun against Elmer (the AI) or another newbie.
Just watch your unit's supply and readiness levels. You will soon get the feel
for when to move to high supply areas or rest. The fine tuning will comes as you
play.

Having watched the videos you are already better prepped than I was when I
started. I always had a bad habit of starting a new game before I learned it
and letting the AI take me to school the first game or two.

(in reply to tinkyx)
Post #: 66
RE: Guide Newbies - 12/22/2014 10:57:53 AM   
sPzAbt653

I'm thinking about redoing the Supply video, breaking it into two parts. Let me know if there are any suggestions for changes or additions. Thanks.

(in reply to Hyding)
Post #: 67
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Guide Newbies Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI