Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Amphibious Landings -Take and Hold Ground ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Amphibious Landings -Take and Hold Ground ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Amphibious Landings -Take and Hold Ground ? - 11/8/2014 6:02:23 PM   
scottb613

Hi Folks,

B573

Been delving deeper into command - spending the last week or so figuring out the scenario editor... Pretty impressive... I've been focused on creating amphibious landings... I've got the event editor working to where I have helicopters and LCAC's launch from my amphibious transport ships - fly/hover to their destination - and - drop (teleport) their troops to the beach - all autonomously... I've been using "Support" missions to accomplish this... It's not ideal as I can't get the helicopter to actually hover low to the ground to offload without using manual intervention - but - it still works (even if they are fast roping on 12,000 foot ropes)... I can't wait until we have full altitude and speed control for each phase of the mission (travel to - ingress - the mission itself - egress - RTB)... I would also suggest that a true "Landing" mission type be created - or - a "Wait" point introduced in "Support" missions before finishing the loop - to allow for a (full stop/low level hover) for a defined amount of time to simulate the offload troops and equipment...

I know ground combat really isn't Command's forte - but - is thee a way to capture and hold a facility - such as an airport - and - have it serve your needs ?

Is there a way to assign Ground Troops to autonomously attack unknown combatants - once the landing is made... There doesn't seem to be any way to set a patrol area or such to attack ground based combatants... For example - my troops in the LCAC land at the one good beach on the southern end of an island - after the landing I want the troops to move from the southern end of the island to capture the airport at the northern end - engaging any enemy combatants found along the divined path... No way to do this autonomously now - right ?

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

< Message edited by scottb613 -- 11/8/2014 8:03:09 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Amphibious Landings -Take and Hold Ground ? - 11/8/2014 9:23:49 PM   
Jakob Wedman

I tried to do something like that in Operation Gudrun but I guess it will be easier in future builds.

(in reply to scottb613)
Post #: 2
RE: Amphibious Landings -Take and Hold Ground ? - 11/8/2014 10:49:36 PM   
dcpollay

One thought I had about capturing facilities....If your ground troops can reach an enemy facility and maintain their position for an appropriate period of time, the scenario designer would set the Red side facility to teleport away. A copy of the facility, set to Blue side would simultaneously be teleported into the same location. Perhaps some of the "new" facility could be damaged, to represent damage during the takeover.

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to Jakob Wedman)
Post #: 3
RE: Amphibious Landings -Take and Hold Ground ? - 11/9/2014 1:31:17 PM   
scottb613

Hi Folks,

Thank for the input - attached my work in progress - if interested - nothing more than a little sandbox environment to test the event editor... No action required - just fast forward to see how the events are carried out...

Hmm - yeah - teleport a base - I had that thought too - just haven't attempted to implement... I'm not sure just how sophisticated I can get with Triggers and Actions - the ability to set logical flags and "and/or" conditions would be a vast improvement... The other thing - most times airports are complex and consist of many elements - getting them all positioned properly might prove difficult... I guess I could use the simplified airport facility in this case... I'll play with it...

It seems more changes are pending that may make this easier...

I haven't looked at Operation Gudrun yet - but - I will...

Thanks for the insights - much appreciated...

Regards,
Scott

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by scottb613 -- 11/9/2014 2:48:22 PM >

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 4
RE: Amphibious Landings -Take and Hold Ground ? - 11/12/2014 2:21:13 PM   
tservello92

Gents,

I have tested this extensively while trying a mod of Operation Sling of David - with NO success. I was mainly trying to simulate the seizure of a length of road that could be used as an austere landing strip for C-130s. I have tried various ways to model what you suggest...to include placing a "friendly" C-130 capable airstrip that is invisible to the enemy at the location I like. Unfortunately, I cannot assign any of my aircraft to the base, which would allow them to land, etc. I could be totally wrong, but it seems this is because the friendly (Israeli side in this case) base is placed in Iran. If I follow the exact same steps but place the base in Israel...or teleport the base to Israel after a certain event...then I can assign and land planes there with no problem.

(in reply to scottb613)
Post #: 5
RE: Amphibious Landings -Take and Hold Ground ? - 11/12/2014 3:59:47 PM   
mikmykWS

We'll be making incremental steps toward deeper land combat models but to be fair to us our initial releases have been called Command: Air and Naval for a very good reason That being said coming changes include a better alternative to teleport, ability to assign the same units to different missions and possibly some other things that can help. So the dudes do abide

tservello guessing it might be an initial fuel range evaluation that is the problem.

Thanks all!

Mike

(in reply to tservello92)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Amphibious Landings -Take and Hold Ground ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI