Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Should I train or withdraw?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Should I train or withdraw? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 12:07:35 AM   
Rexor

[image][/image]

< Message edited by Rexor -- 11/9/2014 1:10:03 AM >

"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." (H.G. Wells)
Post #: 1
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 12:11:47 AM   
geofflambert

You definitely need to train on how to post in a forum. I'm an old geezer (as well as a gorn) and I manage.

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 2
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 12:15:02 AM   
Rexor

My confusion regarding air ops survives. So, after countless postings and other fruitless endeavors, I've settled on this: What would you do with the pictured air group AND WHY? Please be as expressive as possible, as I'm a dingus when it comes to this game.

"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." (H.G. Wells)

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 3
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 12:17:34 AM   
Rexor

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

You definitely need to train on how to post in a forum. I'm an old geezer (as well as a gorn) and I manage.

You're right. I do. But if someone could just help me figure out air ops, I wouldn't need to bother you poor people with my absent-minded postings. Please, please, please...

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 4
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 12:22:07 AM   
geofflambert

you do understand that you posted no image in this thread? What are we talking about? I don't know what the subject is.

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 5
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 12:25:34 AM   
geofflambert

This is what we all are seeing. What is it supposed to be?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 12:35:05 AM   
geofflambert

C'mon Rexor, we Vampire squids require more (paticipants). What is your question?

Post #: 7
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 12:47:38 AM   
geofflambert

OK, since you are unresponsive, I have to assume you're asking whether to have front line units doing training. The simple answer is no. The complicated answer is maybe. But this puts us into another mental morass, namely, what sort of air crew do you put in front-line units?

My answer: trained ones. I think if you think a little, no further explanation is necessary. Now you have some lee-way in the sense that the front line itself is a training tool; but it's only appropriate if your crew experience or skill level reaches "60" or higher. Don't put lesser individuals in the front line. You'll lose the plane and the crew as well.

Post #: 8
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 12:53:47 AM   
dcpollay

Rexor - If you can't get the image to post, perhaps you could describe the important elements of the picture and why they raise any questions you have.

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

Post #: 9
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 12:56:23 AM   
BadElvin

I guess he chose withdraw.

Post #: 10
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 12:59:30 AM   
dcpollay

I think the Gorn's posts drove him back to the Oort Cloud where he came from. But, he left himself signed on. I hope he has unlimited data.

(in reply to BadElvin)
Post #: 11
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 1:43:30 AM   
Lowpe

I had to look up the Oort Cloud. I thought perchance it was a Gorn thing.

The Oort cloud or Öpik–Oort cloud, named after Dutch astronomer Jan Oort and Estonian astronomer Ernst Öpik, is a spherical cloud of predominantly icy planetesimals believed to surround the Sun at up to 50,000 AU.

Now I have to look up planetesimals. Sigh.

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 12
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 1:47:14 AM   
Lowpe

Planetesimals:

Planetesimals /plænɨˈtɛsɨməlz/ are solid objects thought to exist in protoplanetary disks and in debris disks

Now two more things to look up: protoplanetary disks and debris disks. Does that sound Gornian?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 13
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 2:08:31 AM   
Lokasenna

To post an image....

You can upload the image itself to your post via the "Attachment" link at the bottom of the "Post reply" (or topic or quote) window. You should select "Embed picture in post" to have it display. This will automatically insert the "[image]" tag for you.

If you are linking to an image on another site, like Photobucket or Flickr or imgur, then you should use an [image] tag like so:

[image=(insert URL here)]

I'm not sure [/image] is necessary. Maybe it is. I mostly let the forum do the embedding, as this one is a wee bit different from all of the other forums I've ever used.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 14
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 2:47:18 AM   
Cribtop

Don't forget Dwarf Planets. Things get cold out in the Oort Cloud. I remember reading about pools of pure liquid Helium that are so frictionless that if you jumped in you could never get out because you would be unable to stand up.

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 11/9/2014 3:47:48 AM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 15
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 4:54:11 AM   
bigred

Withdraw!!!

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 16
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 4:56:14 AM   
bigred

correction, you should train(advice based on three cups of red wine)!!!

< Message edited by bigred -- 11/9/2014 5:57:48 AM >

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 17
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 10:08:40 AM   
jmalter

hola bigred - here's my fave UB40 tune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXt56MB-3vc
mebbe also too, the OP must revisit some Clash,
"Should I stay or should I go?"

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 18
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 12:20:32 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Don't forget Dwarf Planets. Things get cold out in the Oort Cloud. I remember reading about pools of pure liquid Helium that are so frictionless that if you jumped in you could never get out because you would be unable to stand up.

And, besides, you would talk like Mickey Mouse.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 19
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 12:59:13 PM   
dcpollay

More like Alvin the Chipmunk.

The Oort Cloud isn't Gornian, its where Rexor is from. I hope we didn't scare him away....

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 20
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 1:31:44 PM   
btd64

Yeah, Tough crowd.....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 21
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 3:04:11 PM   
Rexor

I'm back! Sorry, real life interjected, and things can get pretty dicey here in the Oort Cloud.

Thanks for the advice on posting images, I'm a pillock when it comes to computers. Which is a shame seeing as my life seems to revolve around one....

In the meantime, I'll just explain my question (it's pretty straightforward): It's the very beginning of the game, I'm looking at Pearl, and I click on a squadron of Bolos. There are only two planes left, and I realize that this little air unit is emblematic of my confusion over air matters in general. Do I simply tell these guys to start training? Should I upgrade to B-17s (I'm thinking not)? Should I withdraw the unit (and if so, why?)

Overall, I want to start as many of my on-map units training as possible, while sifting out the ones that are ready for frontline service (or at least suitable for kicking up some dust into Japanese eyes). But then when I start clicking on these little squadrons all over the place, I get all deer-in-the-headlights.

< Message edited by Rexor -- 11/9/2014 4:05:36 PM >

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 22
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 3:21:54 PM   
Lowpe

Look at the stickies and find the one about basic training videos and watch some of those, then find an old AAR and read some of it. There is one specifically for getting going as the Allies.

Search maybe for training or tutorial AAR?

Enjoy, and don't sweat the little details.

At Pearl, wait for the air field to repair, and put all bombers on 40 train, 40 asw, and 20 rest normal range, 1-2K altitude and look at all those Japanese subs!

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 23
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 5:14:38 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rexor

In the meantime, I'll just explain my question (it's pretty straightforward): It's the very beginning of the game, I'm looking at Pearl, and I click on a squadron of Bolos. There are only two planes left, and I realize that this little air unit is emblematic of my confusion over air matters in general. Do I simply tell these guys to start training?

Yes. You need ALL groups that you can have on map to be either filled with decent airframes or with things like Bolos for training your pilots. Bolos are fine for training. They'll train just a bit slower with only two planes as opposed to a full complement of planes. You can fill the pilots to the max though, find a good leader for the group and train in ground bombing skill.

Train at 100% at 0 range in ground bombing. Choose a group leader with high 1) leaderships 2) inspiration. train until they're at 40-45 exp and 70 ground bombing skill. Then repeat. Then repeat. Then repeat ...
quote:

Should I upgrade to B-17s (I'm thinking not)? Should I withdraw the unit (and if so, why?)

Why? B-17s are precious. Fill up groups and train when they're not in use bombing things, but generally have separate combat groups with fully trained pilots and your best airframes, then have other groups dedicated to training with replacement pilots to start and an old airframe, like the Bolos. be careful with your pools of Allied aircraft, and use at least 1/3 of the groups to train pilots exclusively.

Don't withdraw unless you have to withdraw at a certain date. When you withdraw you'll get the pilots and airframes back into your pools. When you must only disband (withdraw grayed out, not available) make sure to release your trained pilots to the pools before disbanding or you will lose them. You will also lose the airframes, so don't ever fill these groups with any airframes, even obsolete ones.
quote:

Overall, I want to start as many of my on-map units training as possible, while sifting out the ones that are ready for frontline service (or at least suitable for kicking up some dust into Japanese eyes). But then when I start clicking on these little squadrons all over the place, I get all deer-in-the-headlights.

Pick a few groups per turn. Maybe CONUS first. Then PH. Then OZ. And so on. don't do it all at once. Spread it out and you'll be fine.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 24
RE: Should I train or withdraw? - 11/9/2014 7:03:18 PM   
Rexor

Thanks for the replies. I'm reading some newbie AARs, which are also helping.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Should I train or withdraw? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI