Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good in FPC

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> RE: The Good in FPC Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good in FPC - 11/30/2014 6:07:11 PM   
ashandresash

I agree with raventhefuhrer about Steam: though I know Matrix games, the release price offer made me get into FPC, and I'm now thrilled. What have I enjoyed more of it than in other Matrix games?

1) Tutorial. Enough explanations, lot of game features showed... make of it a well designed one.

2) Gameplay. The asimmetry in order periods and the WEGO resolution are very, very immersive. I also like how sudden and fast the combat is, which is what you should expect in such a war.

3) Complexity and micromanagement vs. repetition. I love micromanagement when it's not repetition but taking into account game information to decisiones and actions. I like the idea of penalizing the number and/or change of orders in order to make planification more important.

4) Variety (for real!) of units. Though I've only played the tutorial scenario I am very impressed by the effect of a few well-placed Anti-Tank Strikers.

5) For last, but not for least, the map. It's as beautiful as detailed.

My two cents. In a few weeks, having played a little more I'd like to share more thoughts about it.

(in reply to raventhefuhrer)
Post #: 31
RE: The Good in FPC - 11/30/2014 6:59:07 PM   
CapnDarwin

Thanks for the kind words. WE are working hard to kill bugs in the current version and also getting underway in the new game too.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to ashandresash)
Post #: 32
RE: The Good in FPC - 12/13/2014 1:22:44 AM   
Panzer_Leader

I keep coming back to the game for:

- The period. The late Cold War and hypothetical "Cold War gone hot" scenarios fascinate me
- The ability to play my favourite units of this period: 11th ACR, British tank regiment and Soviet tank regiment. I'll love it even more if/when the Danes and Canadians are added
- The level of command. I've played Steel Beasts at battalion minus level for a long time. I love playing FPC:RS for battalion plus command
- Being able to command a Soviet tank regiment and apply everything I've studied and learnt about Soviet tactics from books, field manuals and papers over the years (talk about otherwise useless knowledge for a civilian...)
- The accurate orders of battle and tables of organisation and equipment. Everything feels about "right"
- The intuitive user interface. I think I jumped in and started playing the demo without seeing the manual. Of course there's a lot to learn but you can jump straight in and start playing if you want to
- The application of EW and jamming, asynchronous orders cycles and limited orders per turn. Again, this all just feels "right". EW would have been prevalent on the Cold War European battlefield and it's good to see it modelled
- The modelling of artillery, multiple options for fire orders and limited ammunition; air support and air defence artillery are all very nicely done. They feel balanced and add greatly to the immersion of the game
- PBEM. It's so much fun to go head-to-head with a mate over email. Given other commitments a battle can play out over weeks. And a human opponent is less rational and predictable than the AI. PBEM is just fun!
- The T-80BV. I dunno why, but seeing that thing roll towards NATO lines as a Soviet player is just so evocative
- The commitment of the development team to the game and its users. Your level of dialogue with us is just fantastic

Keep up the great work! I look forward to seeing where this goes.

< Message edited by Panzer_Leader -- 12/13/2014 2:41:30 AM >

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 33
RE: The Good in FPC - 12/13/2014 2:00:47 AM   
CapnDarwin

Panzer_Leader, thanks! We are actively listening to you our players and working on getting into the 2.1 coding now with 2.08 getting prepped for release, early next week (we had a whoops with sending the wrong exe builds to Matrix hence the bit of delay). We will be working on add a number of features both user requested and also from our design list. WE will also be working on some scenario/map packs to keep Red Storm going during the 2.1 Dev cycle.

And yes I think the T-80BV is a sharp looking tank too.

(in reply to Panzer_Leader)
Post #: 34
RE: The Good in FPC - 12/30/2014 10:53:02 AM   
kool_kat

Gents:

I just started playing FPC-RS, but here are a couple of items (Classic PBeM) that I like:

(1.) Automatic incremental file numbering
(2.) Text box - Ability to write short messages to your opponent

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 35
RE: The Good in FPC - 1/2/2015 9:05:12 AM   
HeinzBaby

I just got this Sim, played a couple of the smaller scenarios and just finished the 'School Teacher' campaign...bloody Great!.
The Maps are brilliant, no longer will GLORIOUS RED ARMY get lost advancing to Antwerpten!
Asynchronous (we-go) movement is cool, many a time I've yelled-headbanged the keyboard watching my units to assault/deliberate move into a hex only to be pipped at the post by that shifty smart arsed AI.
FSCC, apart from the occasional arty 'stonk' with ICM/minelets I just about let the IA handle my FS, the IA seems more responsive if I let it get on with the job.
LOS is very good, nothing more satisfying than a well executed ambush!
'Screen' command, mmm.. not too good. I'd prefer it too be just that ie, when a recon unit gets a hit, I'd like it to get out of Dodge..
'Limited Staff Rule' I don't use, as I understand it, this only applies to yourself and not to the AI. If it were global I'd use it.
did I say the Maps are brilliant?

< Message edited by HeinzBaby -- 1/2/2015 10:25:38 PM >

Heia Safari

(in reply to kool_kat)
Post #: 36
RE: The Good in FPC - 1/14/2015 4:58:22 PM   
harry_vdk

Comment from someone else:
http://www.pcgamesn.com/unity-of-command-stalingrad-campaign/the-best-wargames-on-pc

Post #: 37
RE: The Good in FPC - 1/14/2015 5:33:17 PM   
CapnDarwin

We are happy to have made the list.

(in reply to harry_vdk)
Post #: 38
RE: The Good in FPC - 1/15/2015 10:03:34 PM   
Mad Russian

It's a high honor to be on that list.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 39
RE: The Good in FPC - 6/18/2015 7:40:07 AM   
jungelsj_slith

Fantastic wargame. I've barely scratched the surface in terms of play time, but here are my likes -

-Modern, easy to use interface. Tired of wargames being designed as if it were 20 years ago!

-Clean, attractive graphics - especially with the new map art, this got me interested in the game when browsing screenshots.

-Great balance between complexity and playability. Super easy to get into, not bogged down or overwhelmed with minutia

-Modable! This is so awesome, doesn't seem like most wargames let you go past making scenarios.

-Engine seems like it's scaleable across a wide range of conflicts, I can imagine it being around for a long time like TAOW, etc

-Developers active in the community - so cool to have your questions answered by a dev.

Thanks for the game!

Post #: 40
RE: The Good in FPC - 6/18/2015 10:46:41 AM   
CapnDarwin

We are glad you like the game. We are working hard on both supporting Red Storm and also working on the next generation of the game engine to improve the game even more.

(in reply to jungelsj_slith)
Post #: 41
RE: The Good in FPC - 11/19/2015 11:52:54 AM   
Templer_12

Beside this outstanding support and the fast pace the game is improving, I like the easy in-game access to the manuals.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 42
RE: The Good in FPC - 11/19/2015 8:26:36 PM   
demyansk

I like the support you guys give when I ask questions and I don't get a silly response. Plus, I like the way the game worked on Steam and most of the time I play my wargames directly through Matrix. The price was right for everything as well. I like this game b/c it's different. I don't have to micromanage units and can do other things while the turn is moving.

Perhaps, this game could be modified for Korea? Vietnam?

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 43
RE: The Good in FPC - 11/19/2015 9:25:33 PM   
CapnDarwin

demjansk, All things in good time. We are only a 6 man team working our free time on evenings and weekends to make this game and its follow-on materials. Things should start to speed up more next year with the new 2.1 game engine in Southern Storm with updated map and data files that should be in a much better (finalized and locked) state. We have learned a lot over the past two years from player feedback and also from the teams ideas and that is driving a number of evolutions in how the new engine will function and grow. For now we'll be happy to get the DLC firing on all cylinders so folks can enjoy the rest of Tanksgiving.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 44
RE: The Good in FPC - 11/20/2015 5:24:38 AM   
76mm

I haven't played this game in a while, I'd played through most of the scenarios and moved on...I'll probably pick up Reforged and check out the revamped and new scenarios.

The biggest thing for me is that the game is...WEGO. Usually I only plot a few moves each turn, and then it's like sitting back and watching a movie as the action plays out. I'm totally mystified why WEGO is so rare in wargames these days, IGO-UGO is so 20th century...

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 45
RE: The Good in FPC - 11/20/2015 7:22:16 AM   
ashandresash

I've come back to the game after the last patch release and I'm enjoying it a lot. So, I'd add the AI to 'the good in FPC'. It makes replayability more interesting.

And I agree with @76mm totally about WEGO. I play Ageod games (which have their serious issues) mostly because of that.

P.S. I also like the 'preciosism' of developers like i.e. new casualty markers. Things like that shows you really play and love your game :)

< Message edited by ashandresash -- 11/20/2015 8:21:36 AM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 46
RE: The Good in FPC - 11/21/2015 9:38:11 PM   
markcab

Cutty: "Man, the game's really changed . . . "
Slim Charles: "Game's the same, just got more intense."

~ From "The Wire"

I just want to say this is the modern tactical sim I was looking for. Early version was a slug fest, totally different from any other modern tactical game I've played. Now, the increased lethality has made this the game I was looking for. Great work!

Even out the box, this game is an absolute outlier that brings some concepts not really seen in previous games. Mainly, modeling OODA.

I love Cold War gone hot scenarios, but I can't help but notice there were always too sides:

1) Those whose AFV's have thermal imaging.
2) Targets

So the NATO player drops a duck blind of smoke and plinks T-72's/80's at will. This game finally shows that thermals are a great improvement but aren't exactly tactical god mode.

< Message edited by markcab -- 11/21/2015 11:35:04 PM >

(in reply to ashandresash)
Post #: 47
RE: The Good in FPC - 11/28/2015 5:02:50 PM   
Mad Russian

And if you hit thermal inversion those thermal sights go blank.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to markcab)
Post #: 48
RE: The Good in FPC - 11/28/2015 9:38:49 PM   
RangerX3X

I came to this game (and this thread) late, and wanted to get some playing time under my belt so not to be too fan-boyish.

The positives are:

+ Ability to zoom in and out on the maps
+ Maps clearly provide relevant details (major and minor roads, rivers, etc.)
+ Campaign in addition to single player scenarios

The negatives are actively being worked on by an engaged development team.

I have played the original game Flashpoint Germany a great deal, so my opinion is colored by that game and it is (for me) near impossible to not think about the new game without drawing comparisons for this and that with the old game.

The old game was simply a fantastic and challenging experience. The new game is most adequately described as better than the original.

Post #: 49
RE: The Good in FPC - 12/27/2015 12:40:14 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin
We have learned a lot over the past two years from player feedback and also from the teams ideas and that is driving a number of evolutions in how the new engine will function and grow.

And thank you for listening to feedback. Implementing SOPs to give players more control over their units will be a double plus good improvement to the game. Looking forward to Southern Storm!

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 50
RE: The Good in FPC - 12/27/2015 12:53:39 PM   
rocketman71

For me WEGO was the big selling point as well as being a really good looking game (Player's version). Would love to see this engine adapted for WWII.

< Message edited by rocketboy -- 12/27/2015 1:54:00 PM >
Post #: 51
RE: The Good in FPC - 12/27/2015 4:42:51 PM   
mantrain

I do not have much experience with this sort of game but I love the "smell the smoke" sort of feel and it just feels real

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 52
RE: The Good in FPC - 2/24/2016 12:25:28 PM   
bootlegger267

Being a retired M1A1 Tank Co Master Gunner and 1SG who lived the life in the former FRG from 80-92, I can tell you that you guys got it right! The new maps are great, the option to load a "grid square" map added an huge amount of realism for me.

Excellent ability to "Cross Attach" units as in real life.

I know there are many unit icon mods out there, but if I had one request, it would be an option to toggle "Authentic" NATO/US icons. I'd lose even more sleep...........

Ease of implementing any mod

OOB's are excellent!

I agree with a poster in another forum...When faced with both Soviet tanks and recce, Armor Crews take out the tanks first! The battle is engaged, enemy armor is the "direct fire" threat. When there are tanks and BMP's/BRMD's in the engagement area, Crews are trained to engage the tanks first. Really! Take it from someone who trained these crews.....

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 53
RE: The Good in FPC - 2/26/2016 8:48:49 PM   
gbaby

I'll also say Steam was a good decision. No, I didn't buy it on discount, the normal price was well worth it.

After a dozen games, I was really hooked on the C&C. Wonderful job. I love the WEGO and limited commands, EW influence, command cycle times, all of it. It really delivers.

I also like the emphasis of the 1st turn, how some plan has to be thought out before blindly proceeding to contact. It might not go as planned, as it usually never does, but it makes sure the limited commands go where they need to go, not constantly micromanaging every unit all the time.

Look and animation is a nice touch as well as the sound effects. Fortunately the gameplay and combat simulation, morale, readiness, C&C, etc., the stuff under the covers, is where Flashpoint shines.

Okay, I hate the AI! I've been so peeved at it, I love it. I mean, I hate it. Really great job on the AI.

Need more, please, more.

< Message edited by gbaby -- 2/26/2016 8:50:07 PM >

(in reply to bootlegger267)
Post #: 54
RE: The Good in FPC - 3/8/2016 9:59:08 PM   
markcab

I've noticed the planning needs to be more detail ordered with the WP than with NATO. Reminds me of what was said in Team Yankee about the Soviets being very precise.

(in reply to gbaby)
Post #: 55
RE: The Good in FPC - 3/12/2016 12:34:50 AM   
markcab

This is one of the best air strike models I've seen. In steel panthers, I'd be super frustrated at fighters ignoring armor vehicles to attack low value targets like crew members or jeeps.

(in reply to markcab)
Post #: 56
RE: The Good in FPC - 3/23/2016 12:14:33 AM   
HobbesACW

I often post about improvements I would like to see in the game. If a game is awful you tend to just let it go and move on to something else. If a game is good you post about improvements you would like to see (you can't just keep posting about how good it is). This game is far better than I expected it to be. Very few games hold my attention like this one. Some PC wargames are fun to play but have an amateurish interface, poor graphics or an AI that is easy to beat. This one has none of those flaws and the tooltips look like this (just an example of how professionally made it is). Now I'll go back to whining about perceived minor flaws again (I think the ATGM hit animation should occur after the sound has played rather than before to give the player a second of anticipation - some small things make quite a big difference :)).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hobbes -- 3/23/2016 12:15:29 AM >

(in reply to markcab)
Post #: 57
RE: The Good in FPC - 3/23/2016 1:19:12 AM   
markcab

This is the single-most unique war game I've ever played, and I go back to the 90's.

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 58
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> RE: The Good in FPC Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI