Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Player's Handbook Available for Preview!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Player's Handbook Available for Preview! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Player's Handbook Available for Preview! - 12/4/2014 2:31:05 PM   
Erik Rutins

Just follow the link below:

http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/MG_WitW_Materials_Manual_Handbook_Ebook.pdf

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
RE: Player's Handbook Available for Preview! - 12/4/2014 4:23:57 PM   
FroBodine

On One Page Guide #1, bottom left, the text says, "in the example above, both units have a CV of 4". Where is this example? I don't see any units with a CV of 4 in the picture next to this text. I am assuming the left number is always CV?

Also - when it is set to defensive CV view, e.g. 4=8, does this mean 4 is the offensive CV, and 8 is the defensive CV? I'm brand spanking new to this system, so please bear with my stupid questions.

One Page Guide #3 - the circled stage numbers are off by one, and do not match the stage summary in the 1 box. The 1 box should not be numbered, Box 1 should be "Setting up Air SP", but it is 2 by mistake. Subsequently, the rest of the numbers are off by one. No biggie, but it is an obvious mistake.

< Message edited by jglazier -- 12/4/2014 5:34:22 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
RE: Player's Handbook Available for Preview! - 12/4/2014 4:30:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi jglazier,

Yes, the left number is the CV or combat value, which represents the overall combat power of a unit. This can also be modified (reduced) by weather. The right number (the 8) in the case of the 4=8 is the defensive CV, which is the CV modified by the defensive position/terrain/weather.

So if you had a unit with a 4 CV attacking a unit with a 8 CV - if they caused no damage in the actual combat (not going to happen, but just for this example) and all the other checks that could modify CV did not actually modify it, then it would be a 1:2 odds attack.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 3
RE: Player's Handbook Available for Preview! - 12/4/2014 4:50:57 PM   
FroBodine

Great. Thank you, Erik. So, I guess the text is just incorrect, because there are no 4 CV units in the graphic, as the text says there is.

Also - I added another textual error I noticed in One Page Guide #3.

Onwards! I'm still deciding if this game is too much for me. It looks fantastic.

Post #: 4
RE: Player's Handbook Available for Preview! - 12/4/2014 4:55:12 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi jglazier,

If there are typos, I'm sorry we missed them but we're happy to update the one page guides with any corrections. I personally as well as many of the testers made use of these during pre-release testing, so I'm not sure how those slipped past us.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 5
RE: Player's Handbook Available for Preview! - 12/4/2014 5:02:26 PM   
Bullwinkle58

This is a very good idea and well done. I wish there had been something like this for WitE. I never got into that one in large part due to the learning curve.

The Moose

Post #: 6
RE: Player's Handbook Available for Preview! - 12/4/2014 5:25:55 PM   
FroBodine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi jglazier,

If there are typos, I'm sorry we missed them but we're happy to update the one page guides with any corrections. I personally as well as many of the testers made use of these during pre-release testing, so I'm not sure how those slipped past us.

Regards,

- Erik

When you are so close to a product, and have seen/read it many, many times over, it is very easy to miss obvious things. I'm just glad I could help in any very small capacity.

-=Jeff

Post #: 7
RE: Player's Handbook Available for Preview! - 12/4/2014 5:34:33 PM   
SigUp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

This is a very good idea and well done. I wish there had been something like this for WitE. I never got into that one in large part due to the learning curve.

I'm surprised that this is coming from a WITP AE player.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 8
RE: Player's Handbook Available for Preview! - 12/4/2014 5:58:48 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: SigUp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I'm surprised that this is coming from a WITP AE player.

I started with WITP, which had a short tutorial (AE does not.) I didn't come out of cardboard boardgames, so WITP seemed easier to me than counters. Plus, I was USN, so naval makes more sense to me than ground.

Been playing AE pretty much every day since 2009 and I still learn new things every week.

The Moose

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 9
RE: Player's Handbook Available for Preview! - 12/11/2014 1:05:07 AM   
ogre

quote:

ORIGINAL: jglazier

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi jglazier,

Regards,

- Erik

When you are so close to a product, and have seen/read it many, many times over, it is very easy to miss obvious things. I'm just glad I could help in any very small capacity.

-=Jeff

This is so true; happens to me all the time. When you know it too well, your mind simply fills in the blanks...even across glaring mistakes. It's a human condition.

As for the play testers missing it, the information being conveyed (counter values) will be so well-known that they have no need to look at (or reference) that part of the handbook. Or will do so only peripherally.

The text doesn't fit the adjacent figure. Either the figure was changed and the text not updated. Or the text is a "cut and paste" from another example (not used) and was inserted without updating the accompanying figure. Or, the figure associated with the text was simply not included...or perhaps deleted at some edit stage. I haven't seen the full manual, but if you copied any examples from the full manual, something was lost in the port.

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 10
RE: Player's Handbook Available for Preview! - 12/11/2014 7:31:50 AM   
RedLancer

Actually the One Page Guides pre-date the Manual and the Map which is why the mistakes have occurred as it has been re-engineered three or four times.  I never even made the mental link between the numbering of the boxes and stages in #3.

The guides were put together to help Testers in exactly the same position as you when all that existed was a list of changes, a proto-manual (mainly with WitE crossed out and WitW written in crayon) and a game whose GUI was evolving weekly. 

I apologise for any typos that slipped through.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to ogre)
Post #: 11
RE: Player's Handbook Available for Preview! - 12/22/2014 11:41:54 PM   
McBearCat

Hi Everyone,

I just received my game in the mail. I've been playing strategy war games now LONG before they started creating them for computers. And I have to say that this is the best instruction book I have ever purchased for any game, period. Very nice job, guys! This is actually awesome.

Thanks!

John

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Player's Handbook Available for Preview! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI