Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 Page: <<   < prev  30 31 32 [33] 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 3/20/2015 4:35:56 PM   
larryfulkerson

I captured Saigon in T23 or so and here it is a couple of turns later and I STILL own it. My partisan is down to 15% supply and 33%
proficiency so I'm guessing that one more good push will kill the unit but I'm marveling that it's still in Allied hands for so long.

Attachment (1)

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 961
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 3/21/2015 4:34:33 PM   
thomasharvey

My Army aircraft have taken substantial losses so far. The screen shot gives the inventory so far on that. The naval aircraft continue to buildup for use later.

The front is now in Burma and China. The allies beat me to the punch there and now I am behind schedule. In order to stay with the historical events I must take all of Burma including Rangoon.

That looks like I have gone about as far as I can. However, I have the Japanese fighting spirit to continue with the next Banzai!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 962
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 3/30/2015 5:10:17 PM   
larryfulkerson

Thomas has dropped some paratroops in Burma that threatens to seal off the surround on my troops there and I don't have
the units to break out yet. I'll have to see if I can rearrange something somehow to fight my way out of that. Also, here's
how the air war is going right now. The Japs are flying a lot of INT missions and I know that because of the airstrikes that
hit my moving units.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to thomasharvey)
Post #: 963
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 3/30/2015 5:22:12 PM   
larryfulkerson

I pressed 'A' to bring up the list of all the aircraft I have and started going through the list reassigning missions etc. for them and
then I came to the 5th NZ squadron that doesn't seem to be listed in it's formation anywhere. But the game seems to be working
perfectly fine. Go figure. This problem has been fixed in the 3.6.0.173 version so don't worry.

EDIT: It turns out that I hadn't scrolled ALL the way down.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/30/2015 9:14:09 PM >

Post #: 964
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 3/30/2015 5:31:44 PM   
larryfulkerson

Thomas has stripped the Southwest Pacific of his warplanes leaving some spotter planes there for me for target practice.
The 488th NZ squadron has been getting lots of practice and now they have a pretty respectable proficiency. Too bad
they are in early model planes. In WITP-AE I would disband that squadron and put the pilots in better planes. The rule of
thumb is the best squads get the best weapons. That makes for the maximum combat power. I've got some P-39's flying
in China but they are doing CS missions and not AS because they are lousy fighters and I don't want to get them killed
unnessasarily. I'm losing enough pilots to the regular missions.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/30/2015 6:32:18 PM >

Post #: 965
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 3/30/2015 6:56:20 PM   
larryfulkerson

Thomas did some more paratroop drops and cut some of my units off from the supply lines. D'oh. I'm going to have to see if I
can't find an engineer to get those guys across the river somehow.

EDIT: I just wondered out loud how in the world the Jap paratroopers got through all my AS missions. Maybe the Jap AS missions
were a part of that.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/30/2015 8:11:30 PM >

Post #: 966
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 3/30/2015 9:15:19 PM   
thomasharvey

Here is the case in Burma. The allies are trying to wall me off but it has not worked so far. The major rivers are causing the allies problems since his engineers are out of position. The allies need to get the engineers on the river to provide supply and a way to pull back. My focus is to attack the allied engineer units to prevent their ability to move on to the river. Even if only by air raids, if the allied engineer units lose supply status or losses, they can't move on to the river. That is the theory anyway.

Soon the attack will go forward to liquidate the allied units cut off. In addition to destroying them, if they are cut off, no losses are salvaged into the replacement pool.

With heavy losses the allies will be forced out of Burma and back into India.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 967
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 3/31/2015 3:40:56 AM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Thomas, new turn. This is how Burma looks before any Allied stuff moves.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 968
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/1/2015 10:01:55 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves, new turn. Thomas has introduced some Armour into the equation. He used them to isolate Rangoon and now it's
surrounded and under seige. I'm seeing some ships of war off shore and I'm wondering if I ought to bring up the ships I have at
Ceylon to Rangoon and engage the Japs. Worse case: I lose some ships.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/1/2015 11:04:58 PM >

Post #: 969
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/2/2015 3:02:37 AM   
thomasharvey

The screenshot shows Rangoon about to be taken. It is isolated and reduced to just one regiment. The last attack was a full exchange of equal Japanese for all the allied troops lost plus several DDs. Some allied units are out of supply south of Mandalay.

It is still a Japanese victory and it is good it was not another Bataan with endless attacks and losses.

Next comes the mop up and then a decision on what to do next. Rangoon was the main objective and then go defensive. However, the Japanese dragon may still be hungry.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 970
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/2/2015 3:04:48 AM   
thomasharvey

screen shot of Rangoon.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 971
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/2/2015 3:06:20 AM   
thomasharvey

Rangoon

Attachment (1)

Post #: 972
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/2/2015 3:25:08 AM   
larryfulkerson

As you can see the Allied units around Mandalay are without supplies. They will have to try to fight their way out of this.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 973
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/2/2015 6:28:42 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the supply situation in south China now. I would evacuate north China but they are tying up lots of Jap units. I'd rather they
do that than have those Jap troops in Burma or somewhere. South China has been relatively quiet and that's fine with me. I'm
planning on leaving the Chinese where they are for the long term even if the supply level goes to zero because those troops are
so low in proficiency that they are good only for artillery fodder. I'm trying not to attack with them for any reason because of that. I
don't want to just get them killed but they are good for placeholding when you have enough of them in a stack only when the
attackers are lame.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 974
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/2/2015 9:52:01 PM   
larryfulkerson

The Secretary of Defense has put in an order for some low-observable bombers that can go a long range and are fast. And black.
The Skunk Works put in a bid that would build some F-117's for that requirement. They will be ready in late 1970.

EDIT: Yes, I know the equipment display says 1983 but Area 51 had them way way before that my friend.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/2/2015 10:53:20 PM >

Post #: 975
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/3/2015 3:03:21 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves, new turn.......Thomas has captured Chittagong ! So now I guess all the stuff in Burma is out of supply and I'll have to
pull back the troops at Mandalay and try to get between India and the Japs.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 976
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/3/2015 3:10:02 PM   
larryfulkerson

I was wrong on the supply issue. It seems that the northern road is still working and supply is still flowing and so far so good. It's them
darn BB's that the Japs have that's making the difference here. Wish I had some here just about now.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 977
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/12/2015 5:39:09 PM   
larryfulkerson

Thomas has invaded at Calcutta !! Okay, this is just about the last straw.........I'm bringing up my BB's to duke it out.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 978
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/14/2015 2:11:28 PM   
thomasharvey

The massive running sea battles in the Indian Ocean resulted in the destruction of most ships involved including all types other than carriers. Mostly surface action this time which has forced the Imperial Navy to withdraw with only half its fleet remaining and they are mostly damaged.

Calcutta was evacuated and left to the Allies. The Burma front is now frozen in place with neither side able to advance.

Once the ships are repaired more battles may resume with a new Allied navy by then.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 979
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/17/2015 3:38:38 AM   
larryfulkerson

A lot has happened since last post. I captured Wake island and moved some fighters and a naval bomb group there for air cover and
I drove the Yorktown II and the Essex carriers with their fighters and bomb groups to the Wake area and now we're having an air-to-air
carrier against carrier fightout and it looks like I lost one and the Japs lost 4 so maybe I won. Definately maybe.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 980
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/27/2015 8:35:55 PM   
larryfulkerson

The Burma front is stalled and so I need a different place to advance so I thought Java was available and inviting so I thought I'd see
how far I could get in Java so I did some para drops and flew some aircraft in to help out. I'm invading at two different places on the
south shore and I'm hoping at least one of them works.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 981
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/28/2015 2:09:03 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the next turn and Thomas's response to my invasion of Java. He's sealed off the entire island with his ships and I can't sail any
more reinforcements onto the island. So this advance is threatened too. D'oh.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 982
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 4/29/2015 10:35:58 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've finally received some B-29's and just to see what was possible I flew a B-29 group out to Wake island and it seems that
Japan is just within range. I can start to hit Japan whenever I feel like it but the target list is limited to just a couple of cities.
There's no river bridges I can drop and it wouldn't do much good to just bomb some land units and there's no strategic value
to being in range of the cities if you can't bomb them. Japan's economy isn't vulnerable if the cities are in no position to be
bombed. I'm thinking that we need to change things so that bombing the city hexes by the Allies costs the Japs some supply
or some reinforcements are delayed or something. I need a reason to bomb Japan and TOAW doesn't give me one yet. I mean
I COULD bomb the land units but that wouldn't change the face of the war in any material way. As it is there's no targets in Japan
that I could bomb besides maybe going after the ships in the ports that are in a stage of repair. But as it is there's no way to
reduce Japan's ability to fight using B-29's because you can't bomb the cities. What to do.

EDIT: I wish there was a way to have the B-29's fly only at night and or in bad weather to avoid the Jap fighters.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/29/2015 11:37:38 AM >

Post #: 983
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 5/1/2015 10:44:30 PM   
larryfulkerson

The Burma front is stalled and the Japs are gaining hexes around Rangoon and the B-29's operating out of northern China have
enough supply to fly one mission and then they need to reposition into India to get back to combat ready. Needless to say that's
not going to work. I gained the airfield at Lae and it looks like I may be in a position to get New Guinea back with some work. I've
got about 5 carriers now and I'm itching to use them offensively but I'm afraid to sail them into harm's way because of the strength
of the Jap air power in the South Pacific.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 984
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 5/2/2015 3:06:17 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've started a drive on New Guinea and I invaded the southern tip of New Britian and I'm attacking northward. I'm going to need
some more people in both places soon. I've lost the use of most of my carriers so I thought I'd attack where I can use the land
based planes......China and the South Pacific. I've discovered that when you drive the B-29's too hard they go into reorg.
Especially when they are low on supply, like those in northern China. So that location isn't working for bombing the Jap home
islands. I need an island base like Guam, Saipan, or Tinian. Like in the real war.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 985
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 5/3/2015 11:12:53 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've learned to concentrate the CS missions on just a few targets to give the attack more push and I've finally managed to link up
Chittagong with Rangoon. Now to clear out all that Jap stuff.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 986
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 5/4/2015 1:00:06 AM   
larryfulkerson

Hey Thomas: I just now found a unit that has two lines of identical equipment and one of them doesn't seem to be filling up
properly. Should something be done about it? It doesn't seem to be hurting anything. The scenario would seem to have
more chrome if this were consolidated or something.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 987
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 5/5/2015 2:59:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the situation in Burma. The Allied troops are worn down and low on supply and it's looking like the advance has stalled.
And I have some units in key positions that are due to be withdrawn in about 40 turns or so. I'll have to replace them on the front
lines. I lost 2 more of my carriers in intercepts while moving and now I'm down to my last 3 carriers so I'll have to hold them back
from danger for a while longer. I need to let my fighters whittle down the Jap air power befure I venture into a cluster of islands
with Japs on them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 988
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 5/11/2015 6:12:38 PM   
larryfulkerson

There's only about 28 turns left to play and NOW I drop some paratroops behind the enemy lines in Burma and I was sort of counting
on the minor supply points to supply my dudes and it looks like they aren't working that way. D'oh.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 989
RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 - 5/12/2015 2:53:27 AM   
larryfulkerson

I left Darwin unprotected one turn too long and Thomas pounced. It's worse than a toe-hold.......he's there to stay. Now I've got
another front and few troops to dispatch to the spot.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 32 [33] 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: Playtest of Pacific at War 3 25 14 Page: <<   < prev  30 31 32 [33] 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI