Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Freighters!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Freighters! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Freighters! - 1/14/2015 1:12:40 AM   
Bebop Cola

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Well having played games with default designs and modded designs, I have come to a conclusion.

Freighters aren't the biggest problem, but having mining stations that are not designed optimally are.

Although I have found I do like the smaller faster freighters for the simple reason that they end up moving cargo more efficiently time-wise.

Overall, I think it best that you get the most efficient mining station designs.

Gas Mining Station suggestions:

3 luxury mining engine
2 Gas extractor
20 (minimum) cargo bays
12 docking components

Mining Station suggestions:

3 Luxury mining engine
3 Mining engine
20 (minimum) cargo bays
12 docking component

Using those designs I have seen far, far less resource shortages. The freighters didn't seem to matter as much, but the smaller ones did move the resources around faster due to the speed of the ships. I think on freighters it is more important to get full hyperspace speed out of them than to worry about max cargo capacity.

At any rate, I am happy with the set up I am currently using, and plan to leave it be.

I've been using some similar designs in my most recent game.

One of the biggest issues I think this rectifies, at least in my experience, has been AI fleet refueling. It was fairly common for me to see larger AI fleets tied up trying to refuel at a gas cloud with a single gas mine that had too few docking components. It seemed like it took so long for each ship to get a turn that the entire fleet was re-queued for refueling. More docking bays on AI gas mines seems especially important for that alone.

< Message edited by Bebop Cola -- 1/14/2015 2:13:22 AM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 31
RE: Freighters! - 1/14/2015 6:05:18 AM   
Sirian

quote:

I am very curious as to how the trick actually works.

You can use any military ship type. I usually use destroyers, as I only use state controlled mining ships early in the game and I do not have destroyers then. Put mining engines (gas or normal) and cargo bays (I usually use 1 for mineral miners and 2-4 for gas miners) on it and build the ship. When its finished select it. If you mouse over a planet the cursor will change to the mining symbol. Right click and wait. The ship will travel to the planet and mine it until its cargo bays are full, which can take a while. Then it will go to a spaceport and unload after which it will ask for a new mission if you have that feature enabled. You can manually assign a new mining mission to it then.

< Message edited by Sirian -- 1/14/2015 7:09:58 AM >

(in reply to tmski)
Post #: 32
RE: Freighters! - 1/16/2015 3:50:05 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sirian

quote:

I am very curious as to how the trick actually works.

You can use any military ship type. I usually use destroyers, as I only use state controlled mining ships early in the game and I do not have destroyers then. Put mining engines (gas or normal) and cargo bays (I usually use 1 for mineral miners and 2-4 for gas miners) on it and build the ship. When its finished select it. If you mouse over a planet the cursor will change to the mining symbol. Right click and wait. The ship will travel to the planet and mine it until its cargo bays are full, which can take a while. Then it will go to a spaceport and unload after which it will ask for a new mission if you have that feature enabled. You can manually assign a new mining mission to it then.

I just personally find this system to be too micromanagement intensive to be worth it.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Sirian)
Post #: 33
RE: Freighters! - 1/16/2015 5:45:06 AM   
Sirian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
I just personally find this system to be too micromanagement intensive to be worth it.

I agree. I use 2 of these ships early in the game when I do not have minig bases for every resource I need. Usually I run out of krypton or silicon in that time. When everything is set up, the get refitted to military destroyers.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Freighters! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI