Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Turn 6 - Kiev kessel recreated

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Turn 6 - Kiev kessel recreated Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Turn 6 - Kiev kessel recreated - 12/29/2014 12:06:48 PM   
Timotheus

This is versus Normal AI with all default options on, full FOW.

I am definitely learning.

AI is NOT that bad, actually.
AI likes to create defense lines and for 5 turns it has run away from me.
From previous games I noticed that the Soviet AI does run away for first few turns
(smart) but then tries to make a stand. If enough units are present it tries to create
a continuous front, from Leningrad - Pskov - Vitebsk - cover Dnepr as much as it and
rely on the Pripet Marshes to be impassable (again, smart) - down to Kiev - Kishinev -
Odessa.

This game AI make three blobs and decided to make a stand at Pskov and Vitebsk and
Kiev. Up north 1 Panzer group versus all the mud is IMO NOT enough to break through
into Leningrad - I can see why the Germans failed there based on this game. Nicely
done, devs!

Vitebsk blob will get the same treatment (I hope) as the Kiev one - the yellow
panzer/mech group of AGC were in HQBU and are now ready...

My previous 2 games my blitzkrieg bogged down on this line and it turned into WW2 with
more modern tanks.

This time, before I hit the Kiev line, I spend the turn moving infantry into contact and
the two Panzer Groups waited in HQBU.

The results were spectacular (to me... I know it is Normal AI with no bonuses but it
was/is playing very well and doing its best to run away/stall).

I think the AI is a bit TOO TIMID the first few turns and too afraid to lose any units.

Sacrifice a few to cut off supply of the most forward spearheads (but truth to tell, I
have been keeping all my mech/panzer units close to HQ and each other, no opportunities
for AI or perhaps even human to do that).

My previous games the AI started attacking from roughly turn 8 or 9-ish, it started
attacking now for some easy victories with great odds but those were on the periphery
and not important to the strategic situation.

Anyway, I think the AI is great, best AI I have seen in a war game by far.

AI is the hardest thing to program, and that's why the biggest game companies go for
flashy graphics or focus on multiplayer.

I realize all you vets of this game can probably win vs normal AI in 3 turns but for me
this is an achievement

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Timotheus -- 12/29/2014 1:14:13 PM >

NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl
Post #: 1
RE: Turn 6 - Kiev kessel recreated - 12/29/2014 3:00:37 PM   
BJP III

FYI, your pocket has a huge hole in it. Also, your guys in Kiev (and likely everyone East of Zhitomir) should be cut off next turn.

The AI will probably break the pocket, but I am not sure if it will cut off your guys. But playing that way leads to bad habits that will get crushed by humans.

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 2
RE: Turn 6 - Kiev kessel recreated - 12/29/2014 3:14:10 PM   
Hermann

aha ya gotta play the Soviets a few times - first turn they have serious morale issues. that GREATLY affects movement and they simply don't have the points to enter a German zoc much less attack. Until the soviets fix morale ( by resting 10 hexes from the front ) they cant do anything to the Germans. Turn 3 their frozen units release so starting turn the Russians stiffen up along the main River defense lines. that's the 3 groups you refer to. A northern one based on Pskov that protects the rail line to Leningrad. that's bordered by marshes and lakes and channels the attacker. Get bogged there and you pull your tanks through swamps on mules. The center one is the landbridge that opens Moscow and there's a narrow path in the middle. Tanks cant attack cross major rivers without enormous movement loss unless the far bank is friendly so you can get a 2 or 3 turn delay there. objective vs. the landbridge is to turn south BEFORE Smolensk and outflank the river defenses let the inf fight the heavy forts and displace the bad guys with your tanks. The southern one at Kiev is funny. You WANT the enemy to hang out at Kiev your objective is to cross further south around Cherkassy and keep a tank corps moving south towards Dnepropetrovsk. if the enemy dig in there find a big deep hole and upholster it you'll be there for a while. Kharkov and Stalino are your goals not Kiev that's the infantries problem once you break the river.

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 3
RE: Turn 6 - Kiev kessel recreated - 12/29/2014 3:16:06 PM   
Hermann

quote:

ORIGINAL: BJP III

FYI, your pocket has a huge hole in it. Also, your guys in Kiev (and likely everyone East of Zhitomir) should be cut off next turn.

The AI will probably break the pocket, but I am not sure if it will cut off your guys. But playing that way leads to bad habits that will get crushed by humans.

Next time break the motorized units into regiments and screen the flank theres usually fresh reserves with full movement waiting on the other side of the river and they'll swarm you badly

(in reply to BJP III)
Post #: 4
RE: Turn 6 - Kiev kessel recreated - 12/30/2014 7:07:02 AM   
Timotheus

Thanks for the tips

By the way guys, this IS the NEXT TURN. The kessel was created a turn before and this turn has shown that a lot of the Sov units were unable to escape. Yep, there is a hole or holes, I am still learning.

Hermann, I figure vs. a human player I will get my (just) comeuppance if I play this way

However, I have a fetish of aerial photos, bit at beginning of turn and when I am moving units also, and the Sov has NO RESERVES anywhere - this was his main throw of the dice in the region...

Unless units appear out of thin air - this is a comp game, and there is TELEPORTATION of units and other nonsense

Hermann is giving me good pointers and I think most vets play this game on a whole other level... I look forward to being FINALLY allowed to login to MP and getting my azz handed to me (but please explain what I did wrong during/after the game, thanks in advance ).

< Message edited by Timotheus -- 12/30/2014 8:09:07 AM >

NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl

(in reply to Hermann)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Turn 6 - Kiev kessel recreated Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI