Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Come on.. more fixing needed..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Come on.. more fixing needed.. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/1/2015 10:17:57 PM   
twinkypillow

I create a fleet of 20 cruisers..

I set :

-attack target only (no homebase or attack target set!)
-not automated!!
-nearby targets engagement stance
!!!!$%$#%$#%#$%#$

so why are they jumping in the system to attack another enemy!! i dont want them too! i want them to only attack the nearby area where i sent them too originally!!!!!!! (see red in pic- i want them to stay there..)

I would set to engagement stance to "when attacked" but i want them to attack nearby targets! i just dont want them to jump to another base and start attacking cause they will not survive!!!

< Message edited by pumkinfacer22 -- 1/2/2015 12:06:30 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/1/2015 11:04:14 PM   
twinkypillow

this is the picture.. no need to download it..

Attachment (1)

(in reply to twinkypillow)
Post #: 2
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/1/2015 11:05:27 PM   
twinkypillow

shoot,

UPDATE: perhaps you have to set them to "defend" not attack.. but they still should only attack with the stance in mind as well. cause nearby/only when attacked, mean nothing when you have them on "attack" instead of defend...

Post #: 3
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/2/2015 8:50:09 AM   
FBolli

your posture is set to "attack any target" not to "attack target only" you've set the wrong posture

Post #: 4
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/2/2015 11:03:25 AM   
MatBailie

At FBolli:

Are you sure that the posture "Attack Target Only" actually exists? I see no way of setting it.

I can set four things:
- Home Base
- Attack Target
- Posture
- Range

When I use the Posture of "Defend", changing the other options changes the posture label in the fleet:
- Defend any target (When no home base is set, regardless of range)
- Defend <home base> only
- Defend <home base> and system
- Defend <home base> and nearby systems
- Defend <home base> and sector
- Defend and target, based at <home base>

No matter what I do, however, if I choose a Posture of "Attack" the label in the fleet always says "Attack any targets". Setting a home base doesn't change that, setting an attack target doesn't change that, changing the range doesn't change that.

What I don't know is whether it actually works correctly, but the label just doesn't update. I'll have to play.

At pumpkinfacer22:

When using the [Posture] "Attack", I can see you've set a [Range], but have you also set an [Attack Target]? (The button one left of [Posture] and one right of [Set Home Base].)

< Message edited by MatBailie -- 1/2/2015 12:09:24 PM >

(in reply to FBolli)
Post #: 5
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/2/2015 5:16:51 PM   
twinkypillow

You CAN NOT CHANGE the "attack any targets" mode on attack fleet settings.. even when setting an attack target..

so? what was that FBolli-wong, is wrong!.

YOU CAN set attack target only.. but then once that target is destroyed.. guess what!!!??? they go back to "attack any target!!""

< Message edited by pumkinfacer22 -- 1/2/2015 6:21:15 PM >

(in reply to MatBailie)
Post #: 6
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/2/2015 8:18:48 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: pumkinfacer22

this is the picture.. no need to download it..

Hahaha! How many times have I screamed at the screen for just this thing! Well, maybe not screamed but it sure is aggravating.

Basically, when I tell you to move HERE, I want you to stay HERE, not go THERE. It's not a complicated concept...so what is the major malfunction? I think all my ship captains got dropped on their heads when they young. Ugh!

I feel your pain, but not sure what you can do other than micromanage them.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 7
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/3/2015 6:09:09 AM   
Tophat1815

You micromanage them,I have done it a very,very long time.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 8
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/3/2015 7:26:14 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Even micromanaged there are still some things the fleets and strike forces will do without your input. Mine wander off to refuel bunches of times. Sometimes I just want them to defend a gas mine and they'll go off fighting KAHN in outer space leaving my gas mine unprotected and guess what? Here comes a fleet of Enemy ships teleporting in and destorying my gas mine.

I'm trying to figure out why they go off to some other gas mine or port when there is clearly enough gas of their type right there. I don't know how many times I watched fleet after fleet goto another gas mine after I designed this one myself to handle lots of ships in docking bays and plenty of storage room. Sometimes it's just silly ridiculous what the ai does.

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 9
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/3/2015 7:43:27 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I'm trying to figure out why they go off to some other gas mine or port when there is clearly enough gas of their type right there. I don't know how many times I watched fleet after fleet goto another gas mine after I designed this one myself to handle lots of ships in docking bays and plenty of storage room. Sometimes it's just silly ridiculous what the ai does.

This I think I can answer. It comes down to how the civilian economy works. If the close station has gas, but it is reserved (for a planet or a trade partner) then the AI will not take that fuel to refuel your fleets. So, your ships bypass the gas station with the reserved fuel and move on to one that has nothing reserved.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 10
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/3/2015 8:06:12 AM   
twinkypillow

quote:

Yes, the fleet "BYPASSES" the station nearest them and go off to another "un-reserved" gas mine..

- while that makes sense, SO DOES making a certain amount of ALL resources "Reserved" for the Player before it gets "reserved" for the Civil Sector!!!!!

All you have to do is make a tick/option on each station if the ai is to bypass/use them for "reserved" but what do i know..

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 11
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/3/2015 9:27:28 AM   
MatBailie

At pumpkinfacer22:

You never did tell me if you used the "Attack Target" button.

I tried after work last night and this worked fine, for me...
- Create a fleet
- Give it a Home Base
- Give it an Attack Target (Using the button next to Home Base, not just attacking a target)
- Set Range to Target Only
- Attack the target

My fleet attacked the world I was invading, and ignored every base, fleet and ship in the system.

I hope that helps, but please be a little less aggressive? (Name calling, a lot of capitals, etc.)

Also, this "link" (I can't post real links, I'm too new) may help (it seems to have a lot of information, but is a long read):
- All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> How-To Fleet Posture

Post #: 12
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/3/2015 7:31:10 PM   
twinkypillow

MatBailie,

I dont' remember now but I started a new pirate game..

when I get to the part where i need a fleet to "Stay" in 1 place I will try the "attack" settings and see what they do.. if they do stay. congratulations it worked. If they don't stay, you'll hear from me with a beautiful picture with red pen marks all over showing my frustrations and problems.

(in reply to MatBailie)
Post #: 13
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/3/2015 10:13:05 PM   
aaatoysandmore

In a game with this much auto ai I guess you gotta expect some mistakes in programming. It just looks like the developer wasn't concerned where the ships went just as long as they went by a command of attack attack attack like in the Gettysburg movie.

Post #: 14
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/6/2015 9:51:30 AM   
Flinkebeinchen

When you build new ships they get the default Empire Stance for attacking regardless if you already assigned them for a new fleet with another stance. (the ship stance doesn't seem to get updated after building)

So when every ship is build you have to click through the stances till you got the one you want while the fleet is selected. And you had the wrong Posture in your screenshot also.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 15
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/16/2015 8:11:55 PM   
Qvanter

Go check out the fleet postures guide, linked in the Guide to guides II sticky.

(in reply to Flinkebeinchen)
Post #: 16
RE: Come on.. more fixing needed.. - 1/21/2015 12:46:06 AM   
NephilimNexus

If you're looking to take out a starport without having your fleet warp on top it to their slaughter, the trick is easy: Manual "move here" a little ways off to the side and then tell them to attack it at subwarp speed.

(in reply to Qvanter)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Come on.. more fixing needed.. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI