Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Historical novel needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Historical novel needed Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Historical novel needed - 1/11/2015 2:19:33 AM   
pontiouspilot

I just finished all Allan Furst's books in a X-mas binge. I recommend them all....some fascinating parallels in several of the books with recent activities btween Ukraine and the rock star formerly known as USSR.

So...any recommendations for my next binge????
Post #: 1
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/11/2015 6:22:11 AM   
RogerJNeilson

Have you read the original Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser?

If you like a lot of gore and ancient period try Marius' Mules series by S J Turney

Someone has picked up the Flashman idea and moved it to napoleonics - different but also good. Look for Robert Brightwell.

Not so modern as to when written - have a look at Philip McCutchan's novels

I am busy reading the Station series by David Downing - set in Berlin in the outbreak of the 2nd WW and during the war. Incredibly atmospheric.

Medieval stuff - Pillars of the earth and its follow up - Ken Follett.

C J Sansom's Shardlake series - Tudor times

Not quite novels but superb - Giles Milton stuff

And did I mention George MacDonald Fraser..... he was also in the Burma campaign and wrote about them biographically.

Roger

< Message edited by Roger Neilson 3 -- 1/11/2015 7:23:11 AM >

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 2
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/11/2015 6:22:23 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

I just finished all Allan Furst's books in a X-mas binge. I recommend them all....some fascinating parallels in several of the books with recent activities btween Ukraine and the rock star formerly known as USSR.

warspite1

Not sure what you are looking for by way of timescale, but assume you mean novels set against an historical background??

There are a few I would recommend, the works of Robert Harris being chief amongst them:

Pompeii
Enigma
Fatherland
Archangel

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/11/2015 1:49:04 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 3
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/11/2015 7:53:46 AM   
Ralzakark

Patrick O'Brians's naval fiction, starting with Master and Commander. It has an excellent feeling of period, fascinating characters and plenty of action.

Did anyone mention George MacDonald Fraser?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/11/2015 12:16:22 PM   
jmalter

Stephen Pressfield's Gates of Fire (Thermopylae) & Tides of War (Siege of Syracuse). GoF might be one of the finest studies of training, comradeship & combat that I recall - of particular interest is Leonida's rationale behind picking his 300. I think he's got a few others from the era (Alexander's conquests), but I've not read them.

From the previous generation, Mary Renault wrote historical fiction based on tales of ancient Greece, today her prose is kinda tame, but still interesting, as she was one of the first to write serious historical fiction.

Arturo Perez-Reverte has a great 6-book serial, beginning w/ 'Captain Alatriste'. Set in the 1620-30's, w/ harquebuses & Toledo steel, these books are just full of swash & buckle. I recently finished his stand-alone 'The Siege', a murder-mystery in 1812 Cadiz, but it didn't scratch my itch as well as the Alatriste books.

Of course, you gotta read O'Brian, he's a cultural treasure. The last 4 or so books of the 20-1/2 Aubrey/Maturin series fell off in quality, IMO due to the death of O'Brian's wife Mary.

Fraser's (did anyone mention him) Flashy is just a total hoot, w/ good historical background to the hysterically funny & jaw-droppingly non-PC antics.

Thx to the OP & other respondents for giving some author-names that are new to me - I'll be checking them out & looking forward to feeding my urge!

< Message edited by jmalter -- 1/11/2015 1:17:32 PM >

(in reply to Ralzakark)
Post #: 5
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/11/2015 12:27:47 PM   
warspite1

Two others I would mention:

Recently finished reading The Ghost of Munich by Georges-Marc Benamou (set around Munich 1938, and seen from Daladier's perspective).

The other one I read about 6-years ago. Churchill's Trimuph by Michael Dobbs (set around the Yalta conference in 1945).

Both are novels I would not have chosen to read - I prefer fact not fiction - but they were bought by my other half and so thought I should give them a go. I expected very little and probably to not even finish them. But as it turned out both were extremely enjoyable reads.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 6
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/11/2015 2:04:46 PM   
crsutton

War and Peace.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 7
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/11/2015 4:31:02 PM   
pontiouspilot

There are a couple of very interesting directions in the ideas....thanks gentlemen! I think I'll start with Harris' Enigma....I thought I had read all his stuff years ago, evidently I missed this one. The David Downing thing looks interesting too. I have read a lot of the old sea yarns.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 8
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/11/2015 5:33:54 PM   
John 3rd

This comes from way out of left field but I heartily recommend The Destroyermen Series by Taylor Anderson. He gets those Asiatic Fleet sailors down REAL well!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 9
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/11/2015 6:20:18 PM   
msieving1

The Blooding of the Guns by Alexander Fullerton is a novel about the Battle of Jutland, and the first of a series of novels spanning from 1916 to 1943 covering the career of a RN officer. The first book was very good, but I haven't read the rest of the series so I can't comment on those.

-- Mark Sieving

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 10
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/12/2015 4:25:38 PM   
dcpollay

How about John Jakes' Bicentennial Series? Follows a family from pre-Revolution America to the turn of the 20th century and places them at the major historical events (wars, Alamo, Chicago fire, opening of the West, labor strife, etc. Eight books in all.

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 11
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/12/2015 4:59:59 PM   
Ianwoods1

For Flashman fans try the Speedicut Papers - fantastic - try spotting the points in time when Speedicut and Flashman are at the same place (e.g. Charge of the Light Brigade).

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 12
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/12/2015 5:47:00 PM   
Symon

quote:

Dude, people who write books are living in hindsight. They may be right, they may be wrong. They weren't there. Neither are we. The parellels are indeed fascinating. Russia wishing to secure their frontiers from a Euro Alliance? Russia thinking on its historical imperitives? Kinda like France after War-I, where they didn't dare give Alcace-Lorraine a plebiscite. Oh my wonders, politics is such a beautiful thing, ain't it? I been there, done that. Any of you can say the same? Ciao JWE

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

Post #: 13
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/12/2015 5:56:21 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

quote:

Dude, people who write books are living in hindsight. They may be right, they may be wrong. They weren't there. Neither are we. The parellels are indeed fascinating. Russia wishing to secure their frontiers from a Euro Alliance? Russia thinking on its historical imperitives? Kinda like France after War-I, where they didn't dare give Alcace-Lorraine a plebiscite. Oh my wonders, politics is such a beautiful thing, ain't it? I been there, done that. Any of you can say the same? Ciao JWE

warspite1

What about those writing about the future?

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 14
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/12/2015 10:17:48 PM   
philabos

If you want something in the WITP category, recommend the Last Lieutenant by Gobbell. A novel that tries to give the hopeless feeling of being in the 1941 Philippines. Also 4 follow on volumes.

< Message edited by warrenup -- 1/13/2015 12:29:13 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 15
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/13/2015 8:16:27 PM   
ian77

The Last Dogfight by Martin Caidin - set in 1944 Pacific Theatre is an entertaining read if not completely historically accurate.

HMS Ulysses by Alastair McClean for a European WWII naval novel first published in 1955 but still an inspiring if rather chilling read.

Marius' Mules is a tremendous if little known series of books by S J Turney - may only be available as digital downloads?

Anything by George MacDonald Fraser - especially the Flashman Papers!!

< Message edited by ian77 -- 1/13/2015 9:19:56 PM >

(in reply to philabos)
Post #: 16
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/13/2015 9:02:28 PM   
kev_uk

The Thin Red Line by James Jones - Semi-fictional account about Guadalcanal - also made into a Terrance Malik film around 1998 or so. Book apparently better than film, as in most cases.

< Message edited by kev_uk -- 1/13/2015 10:05:54 PM >

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 17
Great for WiTP:AE - 1/18/2015 2:43:06 PM   
Omnius

I'm glad I have a copy of 2194 Days of War by Arnoldo Mondadori Editore. The English version was first published in 1977 and republished in 1993 by Barnes & Noble back in 1993.

It's an excellent day-by-day compilation of the entire WW2. Really great for knowing when Japan conquered each place during it's 6 month blitzkrieg to begin their war. Plus a good way to gauge the Allied comeback.

Omnius

(in reply to kev_uk)
Post #: 18
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/18/2015 6:53:27 PM   
kip1213

I suggest 2 books. Both books are very good and related to Pacific theater. The first book is called Fly Boys. It even has information on George Bush SR when he got shot down over chi chi jima. Second is called With The Old Breed, written by E.B. Sledge. Sort of what the HBO series (pacific) was based on. The series and the book are very, very different. With The Old Breed blows away the series, as most books do.

Post #: 19
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/20/2015 7:37:31 PM   
pontiouspilot

As recommended I read Harris' Enigma and while I was at it read Officer and a Spy. Neither was as good as Fatherland. Enigma was ok, while Officer and Spy was quite good. I see that many of Harris' books have been made into movies or mini-series. Specifically I wonder if anybody has watched Bletchley Park or Archangel?

For novels I will try that Downey chap next.

(in reply to kip1213)
Post #: 20
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/20/2015 8:09:15 PM   
warspite1

Wow that was quick!

Post #: 21
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/20/2015 8:13:18 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3
Have you read the original Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser?

There aren't enough 'plus' signs on my computer for this.

George MacDonald Fraser - probably (no ... definitely) the finest article of its kind I have ever read.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-506219/The-testament-Flashmans-creator-How-Britain-destroyed-itself.html

< Message edited by Symon -- 1/20/2015 9:36:21 PM >

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 22
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/20/2015 10:42:50 PM   
RogerJNeilson

I merely make a point that the 'Mail' is not regarded as a credible newspaper and has its own agenda that is morally dubious and heavily sensational. Over here is it is often referred to in less than glowing terms and seldom does it s journalism get applauded for accuracy. Indeed one alternative title for it is the Daily Fail.....

Having said that some people will be aware that I hold the Flashman series in high esteem and indeed Fraser's other books on his experiences in Burma, and especially the Border Reivers about that period of our own 'wild west' 'The Steel Bonnets' are superb ( a short drive from where I live).

However a writer is a writer, he is not a political analyst.......

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 23
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/21/2015 12:22:48 AM   
pontiouspilot

Fraser next then.

Post #: 24
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/21/2015 4:34:17 PM   
Symon

quote:

I merely make a point that the 'Mail' is not regarded as a credible newspaper and has its own agenda that is morally dubious and heavily sensational. Over here is it is often referred to in less than glowing terms and seldom does it s journalism get applauded for accuracy. Indeed one alternative title for it is the Daily Fail.....
Roger

Oh, gosh, sorry Roger. Wasn’t trying to push the Mail. Some of us on this side of the pond recognize it is in the same genre as our Enquirer. It was just a convenient link to the excerpt of a (much longer) article by George MacDonald Fraser (and not some Mail weenie), explaining the context of his characterizations of Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE

The Flashman books have been known to give certain people the vapors when they read them as virgins (as it were). Just wanted to provide a proper context. The Evening Standard once said: “There’s a little Flashman in all of us; but perhaps not enough.”

Ciao. JWE

Yippy Ki Yay.

Post #: 25
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/21/2015 4:41:21 PM   
warspite1

Cannot be, even remotely, considered in the same bracket as the National Enquirer.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 26
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/21/2015 5:40:40 PM   
pontiouspilot

Didn't they just terminate the best part of the Mail??.....namely the T&A page

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 27
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/21/2015 5:55:07 PM   
RogerJNeilson

Sorry if I came across a bit touchy. I love the books but as we get older we get more tetchy and the paper will have either asked the right questions or quoted selectively to its own agenda That was all I was saying.

T&A???

Roger

Post #: 28
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/21/2015 5:58:46 PM   
geiramk

Surprised nobody's mentioned the Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough in a thread like this. My favourite historical novels. Read every one of them at least twice.

Post #: 29
RE: Historical novel needed - 1/21/2015 6:00:57 PM   
Symon

quote:

Sorry if I came across a bit touchy. I love the books but as we get older we get more tetchy and the paper will have either asked the right questions or quoted selectively to its own agenda That was all I was saying.
T&A???
Roger

Didn't see touchy. Just saw query. I think you understand. Ciao. JWE

Yippy Ki Yay.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Historical novel needed Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI