Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS - 1/25/2015 12:59:11 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: MisterBoats

quote:

Warspite1

Except you didn't recount the full quote:

"Nice work, Lee Harvey -- you have a bright future ahead of you. I particularly liked the area you chose from which to make the shot - a grassy knoll, how clever".

I have always been amused by von Runstedt's ire at having the Ardennes Offensive carry his name during the war. von Stompyfoot is more like it.

warspite1

I didn't understand this comment about von Rundstedt's name and the Ardnennes Offensive so I looked it up. It seems you were right - it appears the Field Marshal's full name (taken from his birth certificate) was Karl Rudolf Gert Wacht Am Rhein von Rundstedt...... Who knew right?

Could be worse. Could be Tara Gabriel Galaxy Gramaphone Getty. (A grandson of J Paul Getty.)

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 31
RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS - 1/25/2015 5:37:33 AM   
Seminole

quote:

If he had had his way, Von Rundstedt indicated that the Allies would first of all have sustained prohibitive losses during landing operations. In addition, they would not have been able, "with relative impunity," to bring up battleships close to the coast to act as floating gun batteries.

If he's curious how tanks would fare against destroyers, cruisers, and battleships he should have asked his counterparts who tried in Italy.

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 32
RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS - 1/25/2015 5:48:15 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: KWG

*Slowly backs away from the crazy person*

as a kid Patton would pack a lunch go in the woods find a dead animal and then eat lunch while looking at the carcass.
warspite1

That proves it then - he was definitely assassinated

They'll be blaming Monty next, an attack rabbit attacked Patton's car!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 33
RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS - 1/25/2015 4:57:55 PM   
KWG

"They'll be blaming Monty next, an attack rabbit attacked Patton's car!"

Monty had a plan to take out Patton by throwing him off a bridge not too far from town, however his plan was never fully carried out. It was actually a fox, of the desert variety, that was seen near the vehicle.

Did Rommel's death from injuries suffered in his vehicular accident get the same amount of press coverage as Patton's? It would be tacky if it didn't.

< Message edited by KWG -- 1/26/2015 12:54:40 AM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 34
RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS - 1/25/2015 4:59:05 PM   
KWG

"If he's curious how tanks would fare against destroyers, cruisers, and battleships he should have asked his counterparts who tried in Italy."

"If I had been able to move the troops, then my air force would also have been in a position to attack hostile ships.

If he had had his way, Von Rundstedt indicated that the Allies would first of all have sustained prohibitive losses during landing operations. In addition, they would not have been able, "with relative impunity," to bring up battleships close to the coast to act as floating gun batteries.

That is all a question of air force, air force, and again air force," he commented."

were the planes not close enough already? he seems to have needed a closer Luftwaffe, not stronger.

< Message edited by KWG -- 1/25/2015 6:01:35 PM >

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 35
RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS - 1/30/2015 8:15:14 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: KWG

"They'll be blaming Monty next, an attack rabbit attacked Patton's car!"

Monty had a plan to take out Patton by throwing him off a bridge not too far from town, however his plan was never fully carried out. It was actually a fox, of the desert variety, that was seen near the vehicle.

Did Rommel's death from injuries suffered in his vehicular accident get the same amount of press coverage as Patton's? It would be tacky if it didn't.

No one took my bait.

Around the time of The Bulge, at a major conference Monty explained how in the case of a German attack he would "Spring on them like a Rabbit". I think this is in Monty or Pattons diaries.

PS I dont believe Monty or Patton hated each other, my reading is professional respect but they weren't sending each other Birthday cards. Both wanted to get to Berlin first and pushed their own barrows. Post war comment by others has built up a lot of mythology about the disrespect.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 36
RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS - 1/30/2015 1:25:06 PM   
KWG

" Both wanted to get to Berlin first and pushed their own barrows"

friction over supplies, Patton and Monty each saying they could achieve the most if given larger share of supplies/fuel. Patton's troops were notorious for supplies/fuel raids on other allied commands.

< Message edited by KWG -- 1/30/2015 3:30:45 PM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI