Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship repair (no Gaspote please!)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) - 1/27/2015 2:20:45 PM   
dr.hal

Folks, I have a TF in Port Morseby and it has a DD with some damage (minor) so I thought I would disband it and get some repairs done in that port (I'm playing the Japanese and the port was captured a while back). I also wanted to create some mini-subs there for defense purposes (I know, lots of talk as to whether or not this is a good idea, but I'm going to give it a try). However when I disband the DDs I can't repair them! When I click on the white button to create mini-subs, none are created. One thing of note PM is a size one port and the port has 5 points (5%) of damage. Is nothing happening due to the fact that it is size one with a bit of damage???? Will things will be rectified once the damage is repaired?

< Message edited by dr.hal -- 1/27/2015 3:23:05 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) - 1/27/2015 2:33:52 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Folks, I have a TF in Port Morseby and it has a DD with some damage (minor) so I thought I would disband it and get some repairs done in that port (I'm playing the Japanese and the port was captured a while back). I also wanted to create some mini-subs there for defense purposes (I know, lots of talk as to whether or not this is a good idea, but I'm going to give it a try). However when I disband the DDs I can't repair them! When I click on the white button to create mini-subs, none are created. One thing of note PM is a size one port and the port has 5 points (5%) of damage. Is nothing happening due to the fact that it is size one with a bit of damage???? Will things will be rectified once the damage is repaired?

I think the 5 points of port damage are your problem. It is being treated as less than a size 1 port because of that damage.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) - 1/27/2015 2:40:14 PM   
dr.hal

That's what I thought, yet there is still the ship's company, why can't they repair (while disbanded) in the port given that by definition, there is no port assistance if none is asked?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3
RE: Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) - 1/27/2015 2:57:04 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

That's what I thought, yet there is still the ship's company, why can't they repair (while disbanded) in the port given that by definition, there is no port assistance if none is asked?

They may be doing so, but it will be slow and is affected by things like System damage levels. You may actually have better results doing it at Readiness mode than at Pier Side, if relying solely on ship's crew.

And based on my own experiences with ships relying on their own resources to repair in port while disbanded...they just won't do it in a size 0 (which yours is behaving like, since it has damage). They need to be active in a TF.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 4
RE: Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) - 1/27/2015 4:17:42 PM   
dr.hal

Yes Lokasenna, I agree with you. My observations indicate that a ship underway (even if only in a port hex, going no where) seem to self repair at a far greater rate than if peer-side (I guess the crew is too busy chasing the local talent or knocking back a few to be bothered with patching up the ship!).

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 5
RE: Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) - 1/27/2015 5:25:11 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Yes Lokasenna, I agree with you. My observations indicate that a ship underway (even if only in a port hex, going no where) seem to self repair at a far greater rate than if peer-side (I guess the crew is too busy chasing the local talent or knocking back a few to be bothered with patching up the ship!).

I think it is to abstract that the ship is "offline" when disbanded in port - boilers not firing, etc. No boilers, no power, no fixing.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 6
RE: Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) - 1/27/2015 6:25:41 PM   
Lowpe

Shore leave. Sailors will be sailors no matter the size of the port!

Get some naval support there...or an AR, AD

I started a thread about mini-subs and proper usage (or creative uses) in the war room, once you can break operational secrecy post your efforts...I think they can be used effectively, but they really need to be micromanaged.

Link:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3791460

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 1/27/2015 7:28:51 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7
RE: Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) - 1/27/2015 10:34:27 PM   
wdolson

It's by design, if the ship is put into one of the offline repair modes, it is assumed the crew is not working on the ship and port or repair ship crews are onboard doing repairs. The ship's company only does repairs if the ship is in readiness status. This was set up more assuming the ship is in a larger base where there would be someplace for the crew to go on liberty. In a size 1 port there would be little for them to do but look for coconuts and try and find some local women, but the code works the same regardless of the size of the port.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 8
RE: Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) - 1/27/2015 10:50:30 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

It's by design, if the ship is put into one of the offline repair modes, it is assumed the crew is not working on the ship and port or repair ship crews are onboard doing repairs. The ship's company only does repairs if the ship is in readiness status. This was set up more assuming the ship is in a larger base where there would be someplace for the crew to go on liberty. In a size 1 port there would be little for them to do but look for coconuts and try and find some local women, but the code works the same regardless of the size of the port.

Bill

I tested this extensively - albeit with 1 ship, and in a dot base, but the ship disbanded at the base did not perform repairs, even in Readiness status. They have to actually be active in a TF.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 9
RE: Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) - 1/28/2015 12:18:21 AM   
dr.hal

Interesting! I'll have to keep that in mind Lokasenna, thanks. Hal

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 10
RE: Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) - 1/28/2015 12:18:32 AM   
wdolson

That may be a glitch in the code. A size 0 port is sort of a weird animal, it counts as a port in some ways (like you can disband TFs there), but it isn't a port in other ways. For crew repair, it may be falling between two stools. I haven't looked at the code, but that is what it sounds like to me.

Bill

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 11
RE: Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) - 1/28/2015 12:47:12 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

That may be a glitch in the code. A size 0 port is sort of a weird animal, it counts as a port in some ways (like you can disband TFs there), but it isn't a port in other ways. For crew repair, it may be falling between two stools. I haven't looked at the code, but that is what it sounds like to me.

Bill

I thought so also. I posted a tech support thread about it quite some time back (early 2014 I think), and got some pretty definitive answers from Symon and maybe Michael.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 12
RE: Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) - 1/28/2015 1:00:14 AM   
btd64

Disbanded in a port, I have had a ship repair minor damage without any issue. If set to pierside, I think you need naval support squads to get the ship to repair, As mentioned above....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 13
RE: Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) - 1/28/2015 1:10:05 AM   
wdolson

Ports have inherent naval support based on the size of the port. This represents civilian workers (as opposed to military personnel in naval support squads). For pierside, both the inherent civilian workers and any naval support squads in the port will work on the ship. Appropriate repair ships can also contribute to pierside repairs.

Bill

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Ship repair (no Gaspote please!) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI