Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

asw failure

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> asw failure Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
asw failure - 3/13/2015 6:34:46 PM   
steverodgers801

I have a two ship asw patrol on a zero port harbor with ships unloading. The ships are set to patrol the harbor for two days, for a week now a Japanese sub has sat in the harbor torpedoing ships and twice surfacing and shelling with the ASW group not dropping a single depth charge. I have no idea how to make it work right.
Post #: 1
RE: asw failure - 3/13/2015 6:44:10 PM   
dr.hal

It is my understanding that the ASW group would try to patrol the whole area (remember that a hex is 40 NM across) and thus might not be in a position to attack the sub. If you put the asw ships into the TF of transports, then they have a better chance of protecting them as they are not patrolling all over, but are right there were the action is. It seems to work better for me.

(in reply to steverodgers801)
Post #: 2
RE: asw failure - 3/13/2015 6:45:36 PM   
HansBolter

If it is early in the game you ASW assets have both a low number of ASW devices (equating to a low ASW value) and EXTREMELY low crew experience.\

It may take some time before they gain sufficient experience to start making attacks.

In addition, set up NAV search and aerial ASW to increase the detection level of the sub so it can be found by the TF more easily.

Comb your forces for the best ASW assets such as the Canadian or Commonwealth KVs and AMs with 4 ASW.

Depending on the scenario you are playing you may also have one or two PCs or PGs with ASW 6.

Once you can get attacks a sub in shallow water will be toast very fast.

The Allied low experience is a pervasive problems across all arms for the first 6-9 months.

Hans

Post #: 3
RE: asw failure - 3/13/2015 7:03:28 PM   
steverodgers801

its 1944 and I actually have two ASW groups, 2 SC and 2 destroyers.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4
RE: asw failure - 3/13/2015 7:15:56 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: steverodgers80

its 1944 and I actually have two ASW groups, 2 SC and 2 destroyers.

Nothing in this game is 100% nor is it intended to be. Nobody complains when their ASW groups find enemy subs on the very first day in the same hex...

There are also tons of details that have an effect that you have not provided, plus details from the other side that you can't see (unless it's an AI game and you temporarily change it to 'head to head', but that might ruin FOW for you). Stats of the TF leaders, stats of the ship commanders, the crew experience ratings of the ships, the current damage status of the ships, the naval search and ASW air missions running over that hex, the stats of the pilots and group commanders involved in those air missions, the weather each day, the DL ratings of the enemy sub TF each day, the stats of the TF/ship commander of the enemy sub TF/ship, the enemy sub crew ratings, the enemy sub current damage status. I am sure that I'm leaving out some.

Post #: 5
RE: asw failure - 3/13/2015 7:24:00 PM   
HansBolter

Another very effective and often overlooked means of protection against subs raiding port hexes is to lay a defensive minefield.

Hans

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 6
RE: asw failure - 3/13/2015 8:07:31 PM   
steverodgers801

What I don't get is the lack of even one attack after 7 days of sitting in harbor

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: asw failure - 3/13/2015 8:25:40 PM   
HansBolter

What exactly do you mean by "set to patrol the harbor for 2 days"?

Are you letting the TFs sit in the port hex for two days or are you assigning them a patrol pattern with a one hex pattern and a two day stay in that hex?

If the former, TFs sitting in a hex are only "station keeping" not actively patrolling.

If the latter, there is no need to set a duration as the TF will only leave that hex to return to its home port for replenishment/refueling.

If the TF is patrolling its home port hex it will never leave the hex and every few turns spend a few OPS points replenishing/refueling.

The only time you need to set durations of stay in targeted patrol hexes is if you set 2 or more target hexes.

If it is level 3 or higher port then at least the subs can't get at ships disbanded in port and can only hit TF coming going and sitting in the hex.

That is as long as the sub doesn't deploy mini-subs as they can hit ships in dry dock even in level 9 ports...just happened to me recently at Colombo.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 3/13/2015 9:30:38 PM >

Hans

Post #: 8
RE: asw failure - 3/13/2015 8:32:15 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Do they has ASW ammo? Some screenshots would help.

The Moose

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> asw failure Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI