Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How Much Fun Is This?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How Much Fun Is This? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How Much Fun Is This? - 3/15/2015 2:29:40 AM   
Footslogger

Check this out guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSNTAv8MTJY

Post #: 1
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/15/2015 3:24:29 AM   
Anthropoid

The liberal media must have aneurysms to watch that guy

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 2
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/24/2015 2:54:22 PM   
dr.hal

Went to the WW2 museum in New Orleans the other day and they had both a Sherman and a Stuart tank, both fully operational. The Honey was a honey!

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 3
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/25/2015 6:01:51 PM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

Check this out guys:

Nice! As cumbersome as it is the 1919 Browning is my all-time favourite. Get the creeps seeing long bursts like that, though - that barrel doesn't change in a
second or two. Cock-offs, too.

The Tiger tank he refers to in the movie "Fury" with Brad Pitt can be had as a 1/72 scale diecast model - I have it:

Fred

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Leandros -- 3/25/2015 7:02:50 PM >

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 4
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/25/2015 6:55:10 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

Check this out guys:

Nice! As cumbersome as it is the 1919 Browning is my all-time favourite. Get the creeps seeing long bursts like that, though - that barrel doesn't change in a
second or two. Cock-offs, too.

The Tiger tank he refers to in the movie "Fury" with Brad Pitt can be had as a 1/72 scale diecast model - I have it:

Fred

I prefer this one: http://dragonusaonline.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CHC6350

I picked this limited edition kit up in a hobby shop for $100 just after it sold out and was selling for $300 on EBay.

Haven't built it yet. I also have an AFV Club Michael Wittmann Special, a Dragon first production run Tiger and an Academy Tiger with a full interior that I bought after market photo etch detail kits and an Aber metal barrel for.

Alas, they all are sitting in my stash while I work on simpler old Tamiya kits to develop my skills a bit before tackling the high end kits.

It may be easy to guess that the Tiger is my all time favorite tank....at least for those who know who Hans Bolter was.

And a cheat for those who don't: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_B%C3%B6lter

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 3/25/2015 7:59:38 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 5
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/25/2015 7:25:20 PM   
Leandros

That's nice, too. I suppose you know which Tiger is referred to in the Brad Pitt Movie. I haven't seen it myself.
I have a Tamiya 1/35 kit lying around, too - with full interiors, engine, etc. Not sure if I shall ever start it.
Prefer diecasts...... here is a 1/24 scale I have:

Of course I have a 1/16 remote control, too - only for my grandchildren when they are visiting......

Fred

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Leandros -- 3/25/2015 8:26:56 PM >

Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 6
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/25/2015 8:34:44 PM   
HansBolter

I've only seen Fury once and didn't pay close enough attention to the details of the Tiger to see if it was accurately depicted or what unit numbers it carried.

I know that the Tiger in Kelly's Heroes was actually a T-34. They did a pretty good job of disguising it, but the big give away was the position of the turret...too far forward on the hull to be a real Tiger.

Hans

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 7
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/25/2015 8:37:01 PM   
Chickenboy

Since you posted a video by "FPSRussia", you should read this about the crew involved:

http://www.tubefilter.com/2013/01/08/fps-russia-keith-ratliff-murder/

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 8
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/25/2015 10:09:11 PM   
magic87966

Fury was first rate visually but I couldn't help but laugh at wave after wave of battle-hardened troops charging a disabled Sherman with rifles.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon."

Horatio Nelson

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/25/2015 11:04:18 PM   
sven6345789

Actually not much was left of the "crack" SS-troops in 1945. They fought with determination but most of them were raw recruits. BTW, they also had doubts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to magic87966)
Post #: 10
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/25/2015 11:21:06 PM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I've only seen Fury once and didn't pay close enough attention to the details of the Tiger to see if it was accurately depicted or what unit numbers it carried.

I should think it pretty accurate since the actual Tiger participating in the movie was the one captured in North Africa 1943.

Fred

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 11
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/26/2015 3:45:59 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

quote:

I should think it pretty accurate since the actual Tiger participating in the movie was the one captured in North Africa 1943.

Fred

The Tiger tank used for the movie FURY is the Tiger tank from the Bovington Museum in England which was captured by the Allies. It is the only running "operational" Tiger tank in the world to date.

It is the first time an accurate Tiger tank has ever been used in a movie as far as I know.

The Tigers in Kelly's Heroes were not Tiger tanks as mentioned in a previous post.

The MAIN giveaway is that they had T34 running gear as well as the turret being located to far forward.

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 12
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/26/2015 4:18:22 AM   
Treetop64

Hate how the movie Fury is constantly being picked as a "source" of information. Guess a lot of impressionable folks still consider watching movies qualifies as receiving an education or something...

Not that Fury was that great of a movie.

Of course, I was also in the process of watching The Pacific when I brought Fury home one evening from the local RedBox, and it just didn't stand a chance. Even just one episode of The Pacific is an infinitely better war drama.

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 13
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/26/2015 8:00:16 AM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

Hate how the movie Fury is constantly being picked as a "source" of information. Guess a lot of impressionable folks still consider watching movies qualifies as receiving an education or something...

Of course, I was also in the process of watching The Pacific when I brought Fury home one evening from the local RedBox, and it just didn't stand a chance. Even just one episode of The Pacific is an infinitely better war drama.

What should be interesting with the film is the fact that it is a real Tiger, and one actually in the same area as the action it depicts.
Apart from that I haven't even seen it. But; I do have a diecast model of the actual Tiger - "131"........

Fred

< Message edited by Leandros -- 3/26/2015 9:01:09 AM >

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 14
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/26/2015 10:57:33 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

What should be interesting with the film is the fact that it is a real Tiger, and one actually in the same area as the action it depicts.
Apart from that I haven't even seen it. But; I do have a diecast model of the actual Tiger - "131"........

Fred

While I was too caught up in the action to scrutinize the Tiger too closely, I did find myself think it was too realistic to be CGI.

Glad to knopw they got their hands on a real Tiger. I have seen video of the Bovington Tiger being driven around the yard there. Very impressive.

In the interest of respecting artistic license we should avoid scrutinizing the question of how likely an encounter with a Tiger from a production run in 1943 would have been at that point in '45.

I'm sure the guys on the model forums will be picking it to pieces. They can be downright brutal. You post a proud picture of your latest kit and it gets picked apart by the accuracy Nazi...."you have the wrong wheel bolt pattern for the vehicle number you used."

Then they will go one to tell you what factory production run a particular vehicle came from and why your wheel bolt pattern is incorrect.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 3/26/2015 2:52:25 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 15
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/26/2015 11:21:28 AM   
sven6345789

If anyone is interested in the changes the Tiger 1 went through between 1942 and 1944...

http://www.alanhamby.com/changes.shtml

the whole story...

http://www.alanhamby.com/tiger.html

< Message edited by sven6345789 -- 3/26/2015 12:22:20 PM >

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 16
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/26/2015 2:25:28 PM   
Leandros

quote:

quote:

Fred

While I was too caught up in the action to scrutinize the Tiger too closely, I did find myself think it was too realistic to be CGI.

Glad to knopw they got their hands on a real Tiger. I have seen video of the Bovington Tiger being driven around the yard there. Very impressive.

In the interest of respecting artistic license we should avoid scrutinizing the question of how likely an encounter with a Tiger from a production run in 1943 would have been at that point in '45.

I'm sure the guys on the model forums will be picking it to pieces. They can be downright brutal. You post a proud picture of your latest kit and it gets picked apart by the accuracy Nazi...."you have the wrong wheel bolt pattern for the vehicle number you used."

Then they will go one to tell you what factory production run a particular vehicle came from and why your wheel bolt pattern is incorrect.

As I haven't seen the movie I was under the impression that the action was taking place in North Africa in 1943 - as that was where it was in action. Reading up
on the movie on wikipedia it seems as idiotic as Pitt's "Inglorious Bastards".

Fred

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 17
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/26/2015 3:17:49 PM   
HansBolter

Actually it was far less idiotic than I was led to believe.

I first heard it involved some kind of raid behind enemy lines by the tank.

Actually, the way it was depicted Pitt's platoon was ordered to cover the flank of a stretched out advancing divisional column when a large column of German troops was spotted advancing on the flank.

He lost the other tanks in the platoon in a preliminary encounter with the Tiger enroute to his destination.

His tank was then disabled by a mine and as they dismounted to repair the track the advancing Germans started arriving before they could make the repair.

Aside from the comment earlier about the stupidity of the German troops mass charging the tank, the lead up to the climactic encounter was reasonably plausible.

Hans

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 18
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/26/2015 3:23:13 PM   
shaunchattey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Why?

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 19
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/26/2015 3:32:46 PM   
m10bob

For all in North America who appreciate armor of that era, I suggest a trip to The Patton Museum at Fort Knox Kentucky.
During the war, from Africa, to Sicily and Europe, Patton has his corps of Engineers collect and ship home as many different types as they might find.
They are now located at Aberdeen MD and the rest at Fort Knox,(and at present at Fort Benning,GA for restoration)..
The Patton Museum is located Cati-corner from the famous depository, but is open to the public.
You will find examples of artillery and armor and various oddities from WW1 to present day..

Patton did not need a job as he was rich, his family had a fortune in orange groves in California, but so long as he was going to BE in the army, he was going to travel in style.
The Packard staff car he purchased was a far classier ride than the Fords and Chevies of the other generals.
It has been restored since the accident in which the General was mortally injured, and is on display, with many Patton memorabilia items.......

http://www.generalpatton.org/

< Message edited by m10bob -- 3/26/2015 4:38:24 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 20
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/26/2015 3:58:36 PM   
Chijohnaok2

quote:

ORIGINAL: deadmeat1471

quote:

Why?

I won't go into too much detail as I don't want to derail this thread due to "political" reasons.

Let's just say that in the United States, many liberals (and much of the liberal media) are anti-gun.
The man/website pictured in the video (FPSRussia) is pro-gun.

Hence the potential reaction that Antropoid alluded to.

------------

Carry on.

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.

(in reply to shaunchattey)
Post #: 21
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/26/2015 4:40:31 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Reading up

No. Not really. Like Hans says, other than some stretched tactical plausibility issues with the last fight, everything leading up to that was quite reasonable. When taken in total, even the final battle's outcome was only slightly unrealistic.

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 22
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/26/2015 5:08:29 PM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Reading up

No. Not really. Like Hans says, other than some stretched tactical plausibility issues with the last fight, everything leading up to that was quite reasonable. When taken in total, even the final battle's outcome was only slightly unrealistic.

I was thinking more of how the main character's personality seemed to form. Maybe I am switching persons.

Fred

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 23
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/26/2015 10:23:23 PM   
wdolson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: deadmeat1471
Why?

quote:

ORIGINAL: chijohnaok
I won't go into too much detail as I don't want to derail this thread due to "political" reasons.

Let's just say that in the United States, many liberals (and much of the liberal media) are anti-gun.
The man/website pictured in the video (FPSRussia) is pro-gun.

Hence the potential reaction that Antropoid alluded to.

------------

Carry on.

Let's just leave this one alone and move on. This is not the place for these types of discussions.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Chijohnaok2)
Post #: 24
RE: How Much Fun Is This? - 3/29/2015 2:04:52 AM   
rustysi

quote:

They are now located at Aberdeen MD

I seem to recall these were moved or being moved to a new location in Richmond, VA.

quote:

Actually not much was left of the "crack" SS-troops in 1945. They fought with determination but most of them were raw recruits. BTW, they also had doubts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY

quote:

I hear ya Hans. Just send 'em over to World of Tanks, they'll listen.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How Much Fun Is This? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI