Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 6/22/2015 2:53:09 AM   
JEB Davis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd

Well certainly look like Steel Panthers is the choice on this thread.
A complete re-code? Then make sure you add a map editor and OB editor like Operational Art.
While your at it make sure you allow for multiple scales like Operational Art.
On second thought why don't you just re-do Operational Art of War? Skip the 50 Kilometers per hex and add 500 meters per hex or 250 meters per hex to accommodate the Steel Panther folks.
Just make sure you spend enough time on the combat mechanics of the code, my biggest issue with OpArt was it never could simulate historical battles well - IMHO. Doesn't have to be overly complicated mechanics wise, just simulate reality well make sure both player and computer must follow military doctrines and you have a winner.

That would TOTALLY STINK! 500m or even 250m hexes in SP:WaW would destroy the game. It must remain 50m or even go down to 25m when larger screen resolutions become available in the game.

You're talking a totally different game "accommodating" the SP:WaW folks!!! HAHAHAHA! That ain't gonna happen.

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
Post #: 271
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 6/22/2015 2:54:38 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

HAHAHAHA! That ain't gonna happen.

He who has the "last" laugh has the best laugh in your face laugh.

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 272
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 6/22/2015 10:29:16 AM   
Alchenar

quote:

ORIGINAL: JEB Davis

quote:

A complete re-code? Then make sure you add a map editor and OB editor like Operational Art.
On second thought why don't you just re-do Operational Art of War? Skip the 50 Kilometers per hex and add 500 meters per hex or 250 meters per hex to accommodate the Steel Panther folks.
Just make sure you spend enough time on the combat mechanics of the code, my biggest issue with OpArt was it never could simulate historical battles well - IMHO. Doesn't have to be overly complicated mechanics wise, just simulate reality well make sure both player and computer must follow military doctrines and you have a winner.

That would TOTALLY STINK! 500m or even 250m hexes in SP:WaW would destroy the game. It must remain 50m or even go down to 25m when larger screen resolutions become available in the game.

You're talking a totally different game "accommodating" the SP:WaW folks!!! HAHAHAHA! That ain't gonna happen.

25m?

You pathetic casual. A new SPWAW would only be acceptable if they went all the way and made the ratio 1:1. Or even 0.5:1.

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 273
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 6/22/2015 4:01:14 PM   
Major_Mess

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Internet Tough Guy spotted.

Maybe you could run up your post count elsewhere. It looks like you're out of your league on this topic.

Good Luck to ya.

cheers

Major Mess

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 274
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 6/22/2015 4:22:26 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major Mess

quote:

Internet Tough Guy spotted.

Maybe you could run up your post count elsewhere. It looks like you're out of your league on this topic.

Good Luck to ya.

cheers

Major Mess

Prove it tough guy, maybe you can get all your friends to post in your favor. I'm waiting.

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 275
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 6/22/2015 5:02:46 PM   
DROregon

quote:

quote:

Well Jeb what kind of graphics would you suggest?

I have no problem with the current graphics in SP:WaW. If the game was updated to include higher screen resolutions then perhaps the graphics could be re-rendered at higher resolution to match that.

Under no circumstances should SP:WaW become 3D. If it doesn't remain top-down 2D then it will lose my interest and perhaps that of many players. We don't need or want flashy graphics, just quick response gameplay just like it currently is now.

I'm with JEB.
NO 3D for SP:WaW remake.

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 276
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 6/22/2015 8:20:31 PM   
aaatoysandmore

There's one! all oppose say aye!!

(in reply to DROregon)
Post #: 277
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 6/22/2015 8:37:34 PM   
Hertston

I have no problem with 3D for a SP:WaW remake, as long as the UI is thought out carefully and tested thoroughly.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 278
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 6/23/2015 2:57:20 AM   
JEB Davis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alchenar

quote:

quote:

25m?

You pathetic casual. A new SPWAW would only be acceptable if they went all the way and made the ratio 1:1. Or even 0.5:1.

I'm not sure what a "pathetic casual" is... please enlighten me. I've been playing SP:WaW nearly every day since 2007 so I know the game in much more depth than "casual".

If you want SP:WaW to be remade at 250 or 500m per hex, you must have never even played SP:WaW. How can you visualize squad-level combat having any meaning at that scale? What would be the point of stacking all the squads of a platoon into one hex? Where is the move & fire... the flanking... maneuvering... squad-level tactics?

You began the name-calling, you silly person!

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to Alchenar)
Post #: 279
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 6/23/2015 11:24:35 AM   
aaatoysandmore

I think they should change it to yards instead of meters.

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 280
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 6/23/2015 6:39:26 PM   
Simulacra53

Steel Panthers 1 & 2
Great Naval Battles (the first game - Kriegsmarine, but expanded)

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 281
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 6/24/2015 1:15:11 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Steel Panthers World at War with a new name Steel Tigers!

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 282
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 6/24/2015 1:53:25 PM   
Phuket

I'd love to see an Alpha Centauri remake that wasn't the "flop" Civilization Beyond Earth became. Don't get me wrong, Civ BE isn't awful. But I, and a lot of others, went into it believing it was going to somewhat follow the path of Alpha Centauri and adopt many of the things that made that game great. Unfortunately it didn't. Crossing my fingers the expansion will add more!

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 283
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 9/26/2016 2:41:22 PM   
Agathosdaimon

i came across a much older thread that i was almost about to resurrect, but this one will do - the question is a fun one still and being that Steel Tigers is underway now, what classic or old game can we dream about next?

My reason for this right now is that iwas just looking in an old issue of CGW from 1987 and saw listed some of M Evans Brooks reviews for old games i had not heard of such as Seventh Fleet, and a whole slew of SimCan titles. looking this up in google took me to the Matrix forums to 2005 and people were listing these and also unanimous in their desire for Great Naval Battles 1 again - i would agree to this, and 11 years later i wonder if anybody else does too? or like alot of things am i alone here also and silly for even looking at this thread again?

(in reply to Phuket)
Post #: 284
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 9/26/2016 3:55:06 PM   
Trugrit

Not silly. It is a good topic for discussion.

There were a lot of good games designed in the 1980's that need to be turned into computer games.

Here is one of my favorites:

Chickamauga - designed by Jon Southard.

It had a unique command point system.
That system won it best pre-20th century game in 1986.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7382/chickamauga

This is a good animated map of the battle.
http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/chickamauga/chickamauga-maps/chickamauga-animated-map/

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 285
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 9/26/2016 4:23:44 PM   
TDefender

Definitely "Napoleon 1813". Great game dynamics and concepts and a very good graphics for that time, poor support and realization unfortunately.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 286
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 9/26/2016 5:04:55 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

Not silly. It is a good topic for discussion.

There were a lot of good games designed in the 1980's that need to be turned into computer games.

Here is one of my favorites:

Chickamauga - designed by Jon Southard.

It had a unique command point system.
That system won it best pre-20th century game in 1986.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7382/chickamauga

This is a good animated map of the battle.
http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/chickamauga/chickamauga-maps/chickamauga-animated-map/

Thanks for the link. That was a very good video of the battle; I enjoyed it very much.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 287
RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? - 9/26/2016 5:14:17 PM   
Agathosdaimon

great - interesting, i agree with Napoleon 1813 if you are meaning the one by Steve Green who also was behind Fields of Glory -I have been saying that Wargamer Napoleon 1813 is one of the best concept campaign games ever, if only it wasnt abandoned before its game breaking bugs were fixed

there were some computer game versions of Chickamauga too back in the 80s - wasnt one of those Decisive Battles of the Civil War game focussed on this battle?

flicking through CGW from the late 80s it was pretty much the case that wargaming was front and foremost the main computer genre and some great companies along with SSI, such as Epyx, 360, SimCan, General Quarters etc

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 288
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI