Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is Multipath modeled in sensors?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Is Multipath modeled in sensors? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is Multipath modeled in sensors? - 3/19/2015 3:55:24 PM   
wizard1073

Being a radar guy, I am painfully aware of the problems that multipath causes to detections and especially to firm track range. Is this modeled in any way in CMANO?

I seem to recall reading that you use the radar range equation to estimate detectability. Multipath is simply the F^4 in the numerator (when ignoring atmospheric refraction), and there are simple equations for calculating this. "More calculations" may not be what you want in a time-bound simulation, so I understand if this has been left out for those reasons.
Post #: 1
RE: Is Multipath modeled in sensors? - 3/19/2015 4:09:01 PM   
wizard1073

A similar question has to do with sensor resolution and accuracy: is the Target Location Error modeled sufficiently to prevent high precision weapons from being fired using low precision data? I know about the "pessimistic/optimistic" setting, which would seem to be aimed at the TLE problem.

(in reply to wizard1073)
Post #: 2
RE: Is Multipath modeled in sensors? - 3/19/2015 5:45:37 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: wizard1073
A similar question has to do with sensor resolution and accuracy: is the Target Location Error modeled sufficiently to prevent high precision weapons from being fired using low precision data? I know about the "pessimistic/optimistic" setting, which would seem to be aimed at the TLE problem.

Yes. For example in a SAM battery with separate VSR and tracking/fire-control radars (e.g. SA-2/3/5) the VSR radar may get a track but until the FC radar is able to detect no weapons can be launched.

(in reply to wizard1073)
Post #: 3
RE: Is Multipath modeled in sensors? - 3/19/2015 5:48:25 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: wizard1073
Being a radar guy, I am painfully aware of the problems that multipath causes to detections and especially to firm track range. Is this modeled in any way in CMANO?

I seem to recall reading that you use the radar range equation to estimate detectability. Multipath is simply the F^4 in the numerator (when ignoring atmospheric refraction), and there are simple equations for calculating this. "More calculations" may not be what you want in a time-bound simulation, so I understand if this has been left out for those reasons.

There is a complex answer, and a simple answer. The simple answer is "yes, but not as a standalone variable".

(in reply to wizard1073)
Post #: 4
RE: Is Multipath modeled in sensors? - 3/20/2015 2:29:06 PM   
wizard1073

I want to examine a little more detail here. When I set up a generic scenario with an Over-the-Horizon radar, and look at each Side's view, there seems to be a lot of position accuracy at long range (if I read the absence of an AOU box as positional accuracy). In fact, the range and azimuth uncertainty at one to two thousand km should be significant, but I don't see that in a AOU box.

I'm not reporting a bug (yet). Just asking questions to understand what I am seeing.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 5
RE: Is Multipath modeled in sensors? - 3/20/2015 2:35:20 PM   
wizard1073

I usually see multipath as the phenomenon that causes the target detections to fade in and out over long ranges at low grazing angles, causing "initial firm track" to be significantly different from "continuous firm track". This definitely affects engagements, as you cannot shoot at what you cannot see (even if you tried to when you first saw it before it faded). I never see this phenomenon in CMANO. Are you showing only continuous firm track?

< Message edited by wizard1073 -- 3/20/2015 3:35:34 PM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 6
RE: Is Multipath modeled in sensors? - 3/20/2015 7:57:13 PM   
Dimitris

If you are seeing an OTH detection without AoU this sounds like a possible bug. Could you please post a save?

Thanks!

(in reply to wizard1073)
Post #: 7
RE: Is Multipath modeled in sensors? - 3/24/2015 1:37:21 AM   
wizard1073

I am seeing the AOU. In my previous scenario, I had two OTH's with some separation, so the target was resolving more accurately. I really need to re-check before I post.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Is Multipath modeled in sensors? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI