Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Turn 9

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Turn 9 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Turn 9 - 3/22/2003 4:15:41 AM   
Squirmer

Lees can take out the behemoths, just takes a few shots at close range. Churchills are now in reverse ...

Starting to run into some "Ready" US infantry which is not pleasant. Progress very slow now.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 31
- 3/27/2003 8:34:15 AM   
rbrunsman

I caught up with a Churchill that was routed and took it out.

Everywhere else is just infantry skirmishes with one or the other squad retreating after the first volley of fire so not much damage is being done there.

On the arty phase, the 7.2 still rains and causes a few injuries and great suppression, but it is the 2" mortars that are decimating my squads!:confused: I lose about 2 men every time one of those things gets hits on target. I even had an engineer squad disperse because of them.

For my part, I got lucky and damaged the suspension of one of the Churchills.:D I just hope it was immobilized.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 32
Turn 10 - 3/28/2003 5:39:31 PM   
Squirmer

I had noticed the effects of the 2in mortars, can't explain it though :confused:

Southern hill - we are being driven back, enemy already holds the objectives. Time to retrench.

Centre hill - holding but there are nasty flamethrower-toting US engineers here.

Northern hill - still making slow progress. Managed to disperse a US rifle squad.

We are making probing attacks on the flanks with our cardboard cruiser tanks. 37mm AT and 40mm AA guns face us. One Crusader died :(

Quite strange this game, we're halfway through but to me it feels like it's still at the beginning ...

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 33
- 3/29/2003 4:39:51 AM   
rbrunsman

I got a Crusader I-CS with a 40mm AAA gun. That was nice. Other than that I was just redeploying troops to resist the next British rush.

On my arty phase, one of my 60mms caused a Brit squad to disperse. It's about time with all the suffering I've had from those 2" mortars that have been hurting me so much.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 34
Turn 11 - 3/29/2003 10:20:04 PM   
Squirmer

Another quiet turn. Directed some small arms towards some AA guns and walked another Cardboard Crusader into an ambush :rolleyes:

This is very static now. RB may not have caused huge casualties with his arty but it has stopped most of my grunts from moving ...

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 35
- 3/31/2003 1:17:25 PM   
rbrunsman

I may have slowed down the grunts, but the tanks are rolling.:eek:

I've got pressure along all fronts. There were 2 Churchills, a Crusader I-CS and a Crusader III pressuring up the middle on a road with smoke in front of them. The Crusader III actually took out one of my Shermans from 1200 yards. :mad: And, to add insult to injury, I couldn't even retaliate against it. I had to just look at it sitting there, broadside to me without even getting a shot at it. The I-CS didn't fare so well and its crew will now have to walk since its ride just blew up. One of the Churchills is immobilized and one is severely damaged in the suspension. So, I'd say I put a stop to that rush. The center hill with its VHs in British hands is really heating up too. I spotted 2 Churchills and 6 infantry squads moving up the hill through the smoke. I ran off the infantry, but the Churchills proved to be too tough to crack although one of them was immobilized when I spotted it. Maybe next turn I'll get them if those Brit grunts keep running.

In the south, I immobilized a Crusader I-CS, but didn't get a shot at a Crusader III that was just sitting there.

In the north, it's mostly quiet but I know there are a couple Crusader IIIs moving up along with the infantry.

The heavy arty has quieted down a bit, which is a nice thing, I must say.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 36
- 4/1/2003 12:12:58 PM   
rbrunsman

I caught about a dozen heavily suppressed squads on the central VH hill. Unfortunately, I couldn't kill any of them since they ran away under very light fire. I did manage to get a Churchill crew to bail. That leaves the immobilized Churchill right in front of me, but I can't seem to see it for some reason.:confused: It's not like those things are hard to see and I doubt it repaired itself.

In the south, I have two immobilized enemy tanks that are now covered by smoke. I hope the smoke clears before they repair themselves.

In the north, a Crusader III has taken up an overwatch position and I can't seem to hit it for anything. I hope it runs away because I'm not comfortable with the view it may have.

The Brit heavy arty woke up a bit at the end of the turn but it is still much less than it has been.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 37
Turn 13 - 4/1/2003 8:23:45 PM   
Squirmer

This is now very much a "meet in the middle and duke it out at close range" sort of game. The nature of the map and RB's "PaK front" don't really allow for anything else.

So, those Crusaders that remain mobile have now been committed to the battles of the hilltops. Mixed results, couldn't hit a M3 GMC 37mm for anything whilst on the other hand we did manage to get a Lee :D

I don't know why the now abandoned Churchill remains invisible. The crews of these behemoths seem over eager to jump out as well. Quite a few slightly odd things like that in this game :confused:

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 38
- 4/1/2003 11:42:14 PM   
rbrunsman

Dang it!! Those Lee Imps are precious!:mad: :mad:

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 39
- 4/1/2003 11:56:25 PM   
Squirmer

Fear my 6 pdr popgun! :mad: :)

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 40
Well you need to work on your negotiation skills - 4/2/2003 3:20:49 AM   
Gary Tatro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rbrunsman
[B]The US was shocked to see Commandos appear its rear areas, because in July of 1942, the only infantry the US has to choose from is Engineers and Regular infantry. I didn't get the choice of any specialized troops. :mad: [/B][/QUOTE]
The USA gets lots of nice stuff starting in 8/42. I mean come on you are a lawyer you should have negotiated a better time period. :)

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 41
- 4/2/2003 4:59:20 AM   
rbrunsman

Very Funny Gary! ;)

I takes what I'm given, that way there's no accusations about me being a "cherry picker." Besides, this way it gives me the moral high ground for being able to gripe about losing due to "circumstances beyond my control." :D

And for another thing, if I got into negotiations about what month to have a battle, I'd add hours and hours to my set up routine. I think I have an obsessive compulsive disorder about this stuff already and I don't need another excuse to go studying and cataloging the various units of each country by month and year.:eek:

Thanks for the tip though. I wondered when the good stuff started to arrive.

I like those Lee Imps though. They shoot really straight. And, they have a double punch with the 37mm and 75mm guns.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 42
- 4/2/2003 5:43:52 AM   
Squirmer

That reminds me of something. I haven't moved my commando squad for the last 5 or 6 turns. Forgot all about them ...

Oops :rolleyes:

"Taking what you're given" is why I like the idea of playing scenarios :)

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 43
- 4/2/2003 11:49:23 AM   
rbrunsman

I like scenarios too. Jess makes really good ones.

In this turn, the Brit Arty woke up and pretty much stopped my infantry in its tracks. So the armor couldn't do much either.

I wish you'd move your Commandos. I've been nervous about where they could be hiding since it is highly unlikely that only one squad infiltrated.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 44
Turn 14 - 4/2/2003 7:01:52 PM   
Squirmer

Willy meter should tell you something about the Commandos ;)

In the north we despatched a 37mm AT Truck which had the cheek to destroy one of my cardboard Crusaders. There is still a small chance we can take the northern objective.

More cheek in the centre where a Jeep was sitting on the VHs all alone. A Boys AT rifle took care of that and the objectives have been reclaimed.

6 turns to go, still no idea which way this is going to end up.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 45
- 4/3/2003 1:29:32 PM   
rbrunsman

That **** Commando saw several of my vehicles so a tactical relocation was in order.

I finished off 2 immobilized tanks: a Churchill and a Crusader III. I also got a lazy Crusader CS-I that didn't even op fire at me. I guess they figured it wasn't worth the effort to toss an HE round at a tank.

Other than that, not much to report. The infantry is still digging out from the shelling it's been taking. But I think the Brits are too.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 46
Turn 15 - 4/4/2003 1:58:13 AM   
Squirmer

Yes immoveable grunts is the order of the day. RB's reliable arty is very comprehensive :)

Managed to kill a Jeep with a 2in mortar and drive off a rifle squad. Other than that couldn't do a lot ...

Final melee approaches! :mad:

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 47
- 4/4/2003 2:26:52 PM   
rbrunsman

Unless Squirmer has some more tanks hiding somewhere, I think I got the first really good punch in. I killed about 4 or 5 Crusader IIIs and 3 Crusader CS-1s, plus about 5 infantry squads. I don't think I lost any units to op fire.

It's not a good thing to have your units stacked in the same hex unless they have a very good reason. Hiding is not one of them when you are within striking distance of my tanks. We both had our tanks hunkered down on opposite sides of the center VH hill, but I got to make the first move... with predictable results.

The Brit heavy arty is devastating, but I think I like my fast response, precision mortars better. I almost always get to pick where I will probe without fear of op fire.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 48
Turn 16 - 4/5/2003 1:58:43 AM   
Squirmer

Yep the centre goes to the US. My grunts were only sharing hexes due to having retreated and then not being able to move ;)

Brit counter-attack in the south, where we disperse the remnants of two 7.2in-afflicted Engineer squads, is my only hope left.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 49
- 4/5/2003 8:07:02 AM   
rbrunsman

Brit op fire was better this turn and I lost a couple vehicles and a Lee (imp). :mad:

Crusader IIIs keep popping up where I don't expect them, but they are quickly destroyed.

I also took out a Churchill, but it took the firepower of about 4 tanks to suppress, immobilize and then flank. All that for one tank that isn't worth the value of one of my Shermans or Lee (imps).

The Brit infantry is being useless as they suppress easily and then surrender. I took out another 5 or more squads.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 50
Turn 17 - 4/5/2003 11:52:54 PM   
Squirmer

This is definitely looking like a US win at this point. Hopefully won't be by too much though ...

Our small last-gasp offensive in the south ran into some AA guns of 40mm and 90mm calibres. One Churchill dead plus several grunts. Called in a smoke screen to cover ourselves, maybe those 400 points of VHs can be ours. Somehow I doubt it :)

Agree about the British infantry being useless. Obviously I'm biased about this but I do think they are not modelled quite right in the game. Should be more or less on a par with US and GE, not the Italians (no offense).

Cheese and crackers gratefully accepted ... :rolleyes:

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 51
- 4/6/2003 8:01:57 AM   
rbrunsman

I am just cleaning up in the north and center, but the south is a different story.

There are squads appearing all over the place focused right around the southern VHs (just NE of the cluster). My men are flanking up from the southern edge where there were only several crews and a routed Churchill I decided to leave alone. Near the VHs, was a Matilda that I couldn't kill but I think I shot off its main gun, so it is basically useless now. In addition, one of my squads stepped down from the heights and walked right into a hex with 3 squads (retreating) and 2 very much ready Churchills. Unfortunately, the squad didn't notice there were 2 Churchills there until after is assaulted one (failed) and the other started shooting. That squad is now retreated into that same hex. So, it is now sharing space with 3 squads and 2 Churchills and a couple of those hexes have squads in them.

I pounded that hex with 81mm mortars (killing one of my men), so I think they should be routed come next turn.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 52
Turn 18 - 4/6/2003 9:19:24 PM   
Squirmer

A right mess this is now. RB's "few" tanks are crawling all over the field, shooting British infantry up as they go. The only thing that might stop them taking the home base is lack of time.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 53
Well - 4/6/2003 10:27:32 PM   
Gary Tatro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Squirmer
[B]A right mess this is now. RB's "few" tanks are crawling all over the field, shooting British infantry up as they go. The only thing that might stop them taking the home base is lack of time. [/B][/QUOTE]
Since you don't have many troop left to move you might have time to play your Death in the Desert turn. :D :D :D

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 54
- 4/7/2003 12:45:20 PM   
rbrunsman

I almost lost a Lee Imp to a surprise assault in the north. There were 2 brave HQ squads left that I stumbled into, but they didn't last long.

Nothing going on in the center.

In the south, I cleared out all the squads I could see and killed 3 Churchills. The only real damage to me this turn was a little friendly fire suspension damage because the Brits kept retreating into hexes that I occupied.

The only area of resistance that I "see" now is a hill overlooking the Brit home VHs. There's at least an HMG, a squad and a 6pdr AT gun there.

The Brit heavy arty continues to pound the contested areas even though they were raining on their own men. I hope to move away from the "gold spot" areas soon. The Brits have been hitting me with the quick response of the American arty for the whole game. Very good "gold spot" selection by Squirmer.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 55
Turn 19 - 4/8/2003 6:08:56 AM   
Squirmer

It'll soon be over boys and then we can go home and have a nice cuppa.

RB is right, we have nothing left but our home defense and our gold spots. The unending stream of American vehicles almost own the field now. Maybe there something is this mass production concept after all ... ;)

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 56
- 4/8/2003 12:11:36 PM   
rbrunsman

It ended one turn early when I captured the Brit home VHs with a Sherman and an M3 scout car.

The Brits got the last laugh however as the final barrage of heavy arty took out one of my beloved Lee (imps). :( A couple of those earlier in the game and it could have turned out differently.

UK = 3200 MD

Can I ask why you didn't try to target my arty park? One heavy barrage in the right place would have crippled my fast response mortars and your infantry may have faired better as a result.

It was anybodies game until about turn 14 when things went terribly wrong for you. If you had launched your assault one turn sooner it could easily have ended differently.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 57
Congrats - 4/8/2003 6:04:19 PM   
Squirmer

Well played, another comprehensive loss for me, been fun though.

Arty park: It was all the false smoke put up by the Jeep 60mms in the first few turns. I just didn't think it was worthwhile guessing, was worried about running out of ammo for my off-board.

Main thing that got me in this game was believing that the Brits had a numerical superiority. Caused me to waste stuff being foolish. I didn't get any reinforcements for the same reason.

The other thing, and I noticed this in my game against Scharfschutze as well, is that I seem to go infantry-heavy compared to most. Seems like the way to use infantry is as a spotter for the AFVs rather than as a force in it's own right.

You live and learn :)

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 58
Squirmer - 4/8/2003 7:51:23 PM   
Gary Tatro

Infantry can be very effective if you have the right terrain and support it with artillary. Most of my tank kills come from infantry assualts, ussually.

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 59
- 4/9/2003 1:25:02 AM   
rbrunsman

I wouldn't want to give you the impression that going tank heavy is the right thing to do. I don't even think I was tank heavy in our battle. I only originally purchased 12 Lee (imps) (3 groups of 4 each) and a couple armored cars and only about 4 HTs for emergency movement of troops.

Infantry use really depends on the country and the map.

If I am US or Germany, I always have alot of infantry. The Italian infantry is terrible and the Brits aren't much better. You're lucky to have them involved in the battle 1 turn in 3. But with the US and Germany, they almost always rally enough to be able to do something.

You need to look at the map before you go one way or the other. In open terrain, you need more mobility so tanks, ACs and HTs are in order. In heavily wooded terrain, you need more infantry because tanks are easy kills for them there and they are protected from the ranged fire of the tanks.

As for my arty park: Wasn't it obvious after the smoke started to clear, that the grouping in the south kept "blooming" more smoke? I thought it was quite clear in my view of the map. Perhaps the smoke is not displayed the same for both players. :confused:

(in reply to Squirmer)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Turn 9 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI