Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  326 327 [328] 329 330   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 12:16:15 PM   
RangerJoe

INP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9811
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 12:40:49 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

A nice day it will appear to be with the sun shining - shining somewhere that is!

Yesterday we had the first day of the month with any sun showing at all. 6 minutes of sun according to official statistics.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9812
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 12:41:19 PM   
Orm

quote:

INP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done. All hail THE THREAD!!!

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9813
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 12:53:38 PM   
btd64

Good morning everyone....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9814
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 12:56:42 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Zorch, Gentlemen are the men with titles and Ladies either have their own title, are married to a man with a title, or both. Men do not take a title from their wife so if they do not have a title on their own, they are referred to as a "consort" which I think is another term for "Stud."

No, this might once have been the definition, but it is no longer so. Languages evolve. And so does the meaning of words.

And nowdays men do get titles from their wife. And has for quite some time.

Well, that Dame Holmes is a Lady and if she is married the rules state that the husband does not gain the title.

Prince Phillip is referred to as a consort.

He might very well be referred to as a consort. But he isn't one. He is a Prince of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and he is the husband of Queen Elizabeth II. He is not a Price consort.

Besides, you can refer to Ladies who are married to men with titles as is the consorts as well. Queen consort, for example. The term, and title, consort is antiquated in my humble opinion.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9815
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 12:57:04 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

Morning.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 9816
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 1:35:54 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Zorch, Gentlemen are the men with titles and Ladies either have their own title, are married to a man with a title, or both. Men do not take a title from their wife so if they do not have a title on their own, they are referred to as a "consort" which I think is another term for "Stud."

No, this might once have been the definition, but it is no longer so. Languages evolve. And so does the meaning of words.

Well, that Dame Holmes is a Lady and if she is married the rules state that the husband does not gain the title.

He might very well be referred to as a consort. But he isn't one. He is a Prince of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and he is the husband of Queen Elizabeth II. He is not a Price consort.

Besides, you can refer to Ladies who are married to men with titles as is the consorts as well. Queen consort, for example. The term, and title, consort is antiquated in my humble opinion.

He is still the consort. He was given the titles of Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich before his wedding. He became a prince in England later. He had previously given up his on royal titles.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9817
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 1:37:50 PM   
Zorch

quote:

INP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The INP dice say you are a 4, 7, 4. So there!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9818
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 1:40:41 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He is still the consort. He was given the titles of Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich before his wedding. He became a prince in England later. He had previously given up his on royal titles.

You've heard of the Principality of Sealand? You can buy yourself a title there. https://sealandgov.org/shop/become-a-lord-lady-baron-or-baroness/

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9819
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 1:42:34 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

A nice day it will appear to be with the sun shining - shining somewhere that is!

Yesterday we had the first day of the month with any sun showing at all. 6 minutes of sun according to official statistics.

A whole 6 minutes! Don't overdue it the first day.
I saw a sci-fi movie where they only has 15 minutes of sun every day.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9820
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 1:49:46 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9821
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 1:54:34 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, is not a consort. You may very well call him anything you so please. But he is officially not a consort.

Cut from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_consort

As a title rather than description, "Prince Consort" is unique to Prince Albert. The title was awarded to him in 1857 by his wife, Queen Victoria. Before Prince Albert, there had only been five English, Scottish, or British male consorts, whose titles varied widely. Mary I of England's husband Philip was declared king jure uxoris and given powers equal to his wife, but Queen Anne's husband Prince George of Denmark received no British titles other than the Dukedom of Cumberland (his princely title being Danish). Meanwhile, the official title of the three husbands of Mary, Queen of Scots was never fully resolved. At least one (Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley), was declared king consort, and both he and his predecessor Francis II of France sought recognition as king jure uxoris, but the title and powers of the consort were a constant issue during Mary's reign and remained unresolved when Mary was captured and executed. The only male consort since Prince Albert's death, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (consort of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth realms), was made a peer and later a Prince of the United Kingdom but is not titled as Prince Consort.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9822
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 1:55:56 PM   
Orm

Want some examples of female consorts you can go to this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_consort

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9823
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 2:01:44 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You've heard of the Principality of Sealand? You can buy yourself a title there. https://sealandgov.org/shop/become-a-lord-lady-baron-or-baroness/

Yes. And what is a title no one recognizes worth? You can buy a title from me if you want. I've heard of people selling stars...

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9824
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 3:27:36 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes. And what is a title no one recognizes worth? You can buy a title from me if you want. I've heard of people selling stars...

Would your Principality be named Ormland? Are the citizens Ormlanders or Ormsters? Should we address you as Your Royal Ormness?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9825
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 4:21:47 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Would your Principality be named Ormland? Are the citizens Ormlanders or Ormsters? Should we address you as Your Royal Ormness?

As long as you are civil, and I get tithe first, you may call me whatever you please.

I think I used 'Ormland' once in a game of Civilization.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9826
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 4:25:43 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, is not a consort. You may very well call him anything you so please. But he is officially not a consort.

Cut from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_consort

As a title rather than description, "Prince Consort" is unique to Prince Albert. The title was awarded to him in 1857 by his wife, Queen Victoria. Before Prince Albert, there had only been five English, Scottish, or British male consorts, whose titles varied widely. Mary I of England's husband Philip was declared king jure uxoris and given powers equal to his wife, but Queen Anne's husband Prince George of Denmark received no British titles other than the Dukedom of Cumberland (his princely title being Danish). Meanwhile, the official title of the three husbands of Mary, Queen of Scots was never fully resolved. At least one (Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley), was declared king consort, and both he and his predecessor Francis II of France sought recognition as king jure uxoris, but the title and powers of the consort were a constant issue during Mary's reign and remained unresolved when Mary was captured and executed. The only male consort since Prince Albert's death, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (consort of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth realms), was made a peer and later a Prince of the United Kingdom but is not titled as Prince Consort.

I never stated that he as titled as Prince Consort, only that he is a consort. He earned his own recognition for his actions during World War II as a British Naval Officer where he was ordered to serve.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9827
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 4:29:00 PM   
Orm

quote:

I never stated that he as titled as Prince Consort, only that he is a consort. He earned his own recognition for his actions during World War II as a British Naval Officer where he was ordered to serve.

I know you did. That is why I said that you may call him what you want. What you call him, however, does not make him a consort. The fact is that he is not a consort.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9828
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 4:56:22 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I saw a sci-fi movie where they only has 15 minutes of sun every day.

When I was flying on C-130s we did a routine resupply flight to Alert, NWT well above the Arctic Circle (the northernmost permanently inhabited place in the world) in late February or early March. While we were unloading there was a faint glimmer of pre-dawn light on the horizon, but not actual sunrise. The Alert cargo handlers who were helping unload stopped and stared at the horizon for 15 minutes until the light disappeared again. Knowing they had not seen sunlight for at least four months, we did not begrudge them the delay in unloading the aircraft!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9829
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 5:01:35 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Zorch: Would your Principality be named Ormland? Are the citizens Ormlanders or Ormsters? Should we address you as Your Royal Ormness?

I was thinking "Ormery one".

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9830
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 5:05:39 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

I know you did. That is why I said that you may call him what you want. What you call him, however, does not make him a consort. The fact is that he is not a consort.

The fact is, he is a consort by definition of the word:

quote:

1. A husband or wife, especially the spouse of a monarch.
2. A companion or partner.
4. A ship accompanying another in travel.
5. Partnership; association: governed in consort with her advisers.
6. A group; a company: a consort of fellow diplomats.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/consorts

― Julia Child

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9831
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 5:05:58 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

When I was flying on C-130s we did a routine resupply flight to Alert, NWT well above the Arctic Circle (the northernmost permanently inhabited place in the world) in late February or early March. While we were unloading there was a faint glimmer of pre-dawn light on the horizon, but not actual sunrise. The Alert cargo handlers who were helping unload stopped and stared at the horizon for 15 minutes until the light disappeared again. Knowing they had not seen sunlight for at least four months, we did not begrudge them the delay in unloading the aircraft!

Thank you for sharing.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9832
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 5:29:36 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I could agree that using it as a word for husband, or partner, or companion, or wife. Then that is, I suppose, correct. That word, I suggest, is not the common word used for husband. I once again suggest that the term consort is antiquated in regards to Royal families.

Besides, your original point was that men didn't get titles from their wife. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, clearly got his titles from marrying his wife. He would neither be Prince of the United Kingdom, nor the Duke of Edinburgh, if he had not married.

I also like to point out that females that got their titles from marrying Royalty was once also called consorts.

And with all that said. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, is not a consort. He is a Prince of the United Kingdom.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9833
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/20/2020 6:38:30 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I could agree that using it as a word for husband, or partner, or companion, or wife. Then that is, I suppose, correct. That word, I suggest, is not the common word used for husband. I once again suggest that the term consort is antiquated in regards to Royal families.

Besides, your original point was that men didn't get titles from their wife. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, clearly got his titles from marrying his wife. He would neither be Prince of the United Kingdom, nor the Duke of Edinburgh, if he had not married.

I also like to point out that females that got their titles from marrying Royalty was once also called consorts.

And with all that said. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, is not a consort. He is a Prince of the United Kingdom.

He is still a consort, by definition. While he may not have his British titles if he had not married who he did, he was a Prince and in fact did not have a surname until he took one from his family tree. The surname that he took is Mountbatten - if you have ever heard of it. BTW, he and his wife are distant cousins through the British Royal Line.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9834
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/21/2020 2:20:25 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He is still a consort, by definition. While he may not have his British titles if he had not married who he did, he was a Prince and in fact did not have a surname until he took one from his family tree. The surname that he took is Mountbatten - if you have ever heard of it. BTW, he and his wife are distant cousins through the British Royal Line.

Phillip cannot be Prince - he never wears purple!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9835
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/21/2020 4:43:05 AM   
rustysi

Hello all.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9836
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/21/2020 9:57:51 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9837
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/21/2020 12:12:50 PM   
btd64

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 9838
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/21/2020 3:34:49 PM   
USSAmerica

Good Monday morning - Tithe.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 9839
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 12/21/2020 3:35:33 PM   
USSAmerica

Happy International Rush Day!!! 21-12.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 9840
Page:   <<   < prev  326 327 [328] 329 330   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  326 327 [328] 329 330   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI